Author's Chapter Notes:
I know, I know...been a long time! But what can I say, my muse has been a bad girl! Don't worry, she was punished and she's already started on the next chapter...

I hope you all like this!!!

=)
~*~*~Previously~*~*~

He headed down the road, watching the police officer follow behind him. He didn't know what was going on or why they would think that Buffy had killed her father, but he was going to make sure that nothing happened to his girl. He had just found her and there was no way in hell he was going to lose her now.

***Chapter Seven***


Buffy sighed as Spike pulled his car into a parking space at the downtown police office. She had no idea what was going on, but she knew that she didn't like it. She knew that without a doubt that she didn't kill her father, but who was to say that the police knew that? They were taking her in for questioning after all!

She had never done anything in her life that was any serious crime. She had always had good grades, always been in the top of her class and she had always obeyed the rules in school and the real world. She just didn't understand why they would be questioning her.

Buffy hadn't realized that Spike had gotten out of the car until he had opened her door and had been leaning in to touch her hand. She jerked her head up, looking him in the eyes. She looked behind him, seeing the police officer impatiently waiting for them. She gave Spike a shaky smile, trying to hold her tears in.

Spike lightly caressed her flushed cheeks with the back of his hand, swiftly flipping it over as it got to her neck. He massaged the back of her neck, trying to calm her, if only for the briefest second, "It will all be okay. I'm not going to leave you. Ever. They'll have to take me to jail first. You understand me?"

Buffy took in a deep breath. She was petrified. She had never thought about killing her father. She hated him, yes. But not enough to kill him. She thought he needed help. Now, he’ll never get that help. She looked in his eyes, and smiled, “Yeah. I’ll be okay. It’s just a lot to take in, you know?”

He graced her with the smile that she loved, “Yeah, baby. I know. But I’m here for you. No matter what.” He glanced over his shoulder to see the police officer’s face getting redder by the second. Chuckling softly, he turned back to her, “We better get out of the car and get in there.”

Buffy took another deep breath as if to prepare herself, “Okay. Let’s go.”


***~~~***

Ethan Rayne pulled his car up to the police station. Seeing the young couple, appearing to be in deep discussion, in the car just a few spaces from him. He saw the girl nod her head. Silently watching as they got out of the car and walked inside the police station, following the bulky officer. Sighing, he got out of his car and followed behind them. Just far enough to where he wouldn’t be seen.


***~~~***

Spike was exhausted. Never in his whole life had he wanted to get out of one place as he did now. The police were only starting to interrogate Buffy and himself and he felt like they had been there for hours. Glancing over at Buffy, he saw her drooping eyes. ‘Bloody hell. If this is what they are making me feel like, then I can only imagine what they are doing to my Buffy.” Sliding closer to her, Spike wrapped his arm around Buffy’s shoulder, pulling her close so she could lean on him.

The officer saw this act of affection and felt a jab of guilt rush through him. He knew he had been too hard on the kids, but that was how he was supposed to be interrogating them. Hard, brutal, and patient for slip-ups. That’s how he had been taught. Sitting down in front of Buffy and Spike, he folded his hands together and placed them in front of him.

He sighed and looked at Buffy’s worn out face, “Listen, kids. I’m not trying to push you over the edge or to admit to something that you didn’t do, but this is what has to be done. Until we find out who killed your father, Ms. Summers, there is only this. I’m sorry that this is so har—“

The officer didn’t get out another word as the door connecting the interrogation room and viewing room was opened. Buffy turned around to see who had interrupted the officer’s words. Seeing who it was, her eyes widened and she jumped up from Spike and rushed over the man, “Ethan! What are you doing here? Are you here for us?”

Ethan gave her a sad smile and hugged her back, “No, sweet, I’m not. I’m here to exchange the right thing for the wrong thing.”

She pulled away and tilted her head, pushing her eyebrows together, “What do you mean, Ethan?”

He pulled away from her then, placing her safely in the now standing Spike’s arms. He wrapped her in his arms, as if to keep her from danger. Ethan walked around the table to greet the officer. Sticking his hand out for the officer to shake it, he said, “Hello, Officer. My name is Ethan Rayne.”

The officer took his hand and shook it, “Hello, I’m Officer Brody.” Releasing Ethan’s hand, he continued, “How can I help you today, sir?”

Taking a deep breath, Ethan prepared himself for the ultimate trial that he knew he was going to have to take, "Officer Brody, I am this young lady's God Father. I was Hank's partner at his law firm. I hear that you are questioning her on the death of her father. I am here to tell you that she did not kill her father."

"What makes you so sure that she didn't kill her father. She could have left during the night and killed him and snuck back in without anyone being the wiser. Why do you think that she is so innocent? How do you know that she did not kill her father?"

"Because I killed him."

Buffy felt like her heart would stop. Ethan had killed Hank? He had killed her father? Buffy slowly extracted herself from Spike's arms, walking hesitantly towards Ethan, "Ethan? You did this? Why would you kill my father? Your partner? Your best friend?"

Ethan looked at her as if she had grown a second head, "What do you mean 'how could I?'? That man was the worst father that he could have been to you. What he did...that was despicable. There was no excuse for him to torture you and to terrify you every day. There was nothing that you could have done to deserve that. Nothing, do you hear me?"

Buffy swallowed hard, "You know?"

Ethan took Buffy into his arms, ignoring the rushed looks of panic from Spike and the police officer, "Oh, Buffy. I didn't know until it was too late. Until he had already put your life in so much danger. I'm so sorry. I know that I was too late for him to hurt you, but I am so glad that I wasn't too late for him to kill you."

Ethan pulled back to look into Buffy's eyes, "Why didn't you ever tell anyone? I know that it would have been hard to try to convince some people but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't have listened. You should know that I am always here for you no matter what."

Buffy smiled, "I know that now. I was just so scared to begin with. I mean, I tried to go to the police once but that only made things so much worse. You have no idea how hard it was for me to keep this a secret." Buffy glanced over her shoulder to look at Spike, "But someone found out and they helped me. More than anyone could have I think."

Spike smiled, touched at the sentiment that was portrayed in her voice. He knew that things between them were starting to be more developed but he had no idea that she could show so much emotion in her voice towards him.

He clutched Buffy to him as she rushed towards him. He watched as the police officer cuffed her God Father and took him away. He felt her shudder in his arms and tightened her grip on her. He knew that things were going to be rough for her in the next couple of days, and he knew that he would be there for her, even if she tried to push him away.

The officer came back into the room minutes later, holding a folder. He sat the folder down on the table and pulled out two pieces of paper, "I am sorry to disrupt anything right now. I know that she's not in the best of shapes. But I just need your signatures on here and you all can leave if you like."

Spike nodded his head and maneuvered Buffy towards the table. He sat her down as he signed one of the papers. Buffy grabbed the pen from his hand when he offered it to her. Signing her name as fast as possible. When they were finished, she grabbed Spike's hand and thanked the officer for getting them out of there.

Without a second glance, Spike pulled Buffy along with him towards the car, "Are you all right, Baby?"

She sighed as she got into the car and waited for him to open his door before saying anything, "Yeah, I'm fine. I'm just tired now. Can we go home?"

Home. Spike loved the sound of that. Of her considering living with him "home". He brushed her hair out of her face as she laid down across the bench seat, resting her head in his lap, "Yeah, baby. We can go home, now."


Chapter End Notes:
So, good? bad? horrible? let me know, please!!!
=)