Author's Chapter Notes:
I'VE UPDATED TWICE TODAY!!!! READ CHAPTER SEVEN FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geez!! See, I told you that my muse was punished. She was so scared that she decided to finish the next chapter! Haha!

Hope you like it!

=)
~*~*~Previously~*~*~

Home. Spike loved the sound of that. Of her considering living with him "home". He brushed her hair out of her face as she laid down across the bench seat, resting her head in his lap, "Yeah, baby. We can go home, now."

***Chapter Eight***

It had been two long days since the discovery of Hank's killer. Her God Father. Ethan Rayne. Buffy still couldn't understand how he had the strength to do it. She had been troubled with this question for those two days now. Never quite finding the answer that would satisfy her wonder.

Buffy was nudged from the right of her. Looking, she saw him. Spike, staring at her with wonder and concern. He had been so helpful ever since Friday. He had been there for her when she needed someone to hold onto when she felt like she was no longer connected to the world. He had been her rock. She loved him for it. The only problem was, he didn't know that part just yet.

She saw him gesture at her to look down. She found a folded piece of paper in front of her when she did. Opening it, she saw his elegant hand writing. 'Are you okay, kitten?"

Buffy smiled as she read the nickname that he had been using a lot on her lately. She loved it when he called her any of his nick names, but those are also ones that he used on every girl. When he called her 'Kitten', it made it seem more special. Make her feel more special.

She quickly wrote back, 'Yeah. I'm fine, I was just thinking about how long it's been since I've had ice cream. It's just one of those random things that I get in my head, you know?' She passed it back and waited for his reaction.

She knew that he was finished reading when she heard him chuckle under his breath. She grabbed the folded paper as he pushed it across the table again, 'You just seem to have all sorts of funny things running through that head of yours, don't you? Have you made plans with Willow tonight?'

She quickly wrote back, 'No. Why? What are you thinking?'

She didn't have to wait long for his response, 'Well, I was thinking that you and I could sit and have a movie night of some sort. We can get that ice cream that you have been craving. What was it, Cookie Dough Fudge Mint Chip?'

She was astonished, 'How did you remember what my favorite ice cream was?' She couldn't believe that he had actually remembered what her favorite ice cream was. And that name wasn't all that easy to remember. It took her a good week to remember what it was without getting all the words mixed up.

Glancing down to read the note as he pushed it back at her, 'Remember that night that we went for a drive and we stopped at the top of the hill that overlooked the whole town? The night that we sat and talked until three in the morning?' She did. She remembered it like it was yesterday.


~~~


"Buffy would you stop freaking out? We are not going to get into trouble for being up here. It's not like the cops come up here to look for couples snogging!" Spike yelled at her sarcastically. He had decided that it was time that they got to know each other a little better, and what better place to do it than at the top of a hill where they were more likely to not be disturbed?

"Well, I just don't want to get caught up here and then the cops have to call my dad. What would I do then? He doesn't even know where I am. And more than likely he doesn't care. But the second that it gets out that I'm missing, he'll be pretending to be the caring father figure that he never was. Then I'll have to go back there, and honestly? I really don't want to do that."

Spike stiffened next to her. He hadn't like hearing about her having to go back to her father. He hated that man as much as she did, if not more than here. He never wanted her to go back there. Thank God his father hadn't minded her staying with them in the guest room. He didn't know what he would have done if she couldn't have stayed. And he was very grateful that his father let her stay without having to put her through the stress of having to tell another person the sordid details of her life with her father.

He grabbed her hand as he leaned the seat back a bit so they could look at the stars, "Don't worry, Kitten. I'm not going to let them take you any where near that man ever again. You hear me?"

Buffy nodded her head awkwardly as she was relaxed in his arms looking at the stars. She knew that Spike wouldn't let anyone hurt her. It was unfathomable to her how he had grown so attached to her this quickly, but she didn't mind. And it scared her a bit. She thought she would have minded, but she felt at complete ease with it. She looked up at him, "Wanna play 'Pick Ten'?"

She watched as his face contorted into confusion, "What the bloody hell is that?"

She giggled, "It's a game that me and Willow made up when we were bored one day in class. We made this list of questions that we could pick from and then both people would have to answer the questions that we picked together. But we don't have to write the questions down. We can just take turns asking a questions and we just both have to answer it. Sound fun?"

He pulled her closer to his body, hoping to keep out the cold air. Even though he had the heat on full blast, he was still worried that she would get sick, "Sure, Kitten. That sounds like fun. You wanna go first or should I?"

"Um, I'll go first since you've never played before." She snuggled in closer to him, hoping that he would think she was cold so he would hold her closer. She got what she wanted. He kept pulling her closer every time she did that.

"Alright then, let me think," she sat for a few seconds trying to think of a good question. Finally getting one, she continued, "Alright, what is the most embarrassing moment of your life?"

"That would be when my mum found out that I had had sex for the first time. She ended up setting me down and having 'the talk' with me...right in front of my girlfriend. That was just horrible. What about you?"

Buffy tried to stifle her laughter, but she failed miserably, "Oh my God, that would be horrible! I can't believe that your mom did that! That would have been priceless to see though."

"Alright, stop making fun of me. My male ego is getting a major dent in it now, Kitten. Go. It's your turn to answer the question."

Buffy laughed a little more under her breath, "Well, I guess you could say that it was when you pulled my pigtails in the courtyard. That was so embarrassing at the time. I don't think I have ever been so embarrassed in my whole life. Your turn."

"Okay, what's your favorite color?"

"Blue. You?"

He was about to ask another question, but stopped, 'Blue? Really? I thought for sure you would have picked pink or some rot color like that."

"Nope, I'm strictly a blue kind of girl. It's so peaceful. What about you?"

"Red."

"Interesting. What's your favorite movie?"

"That would be...hmm...I don't know. Hang on, let me think." He stopped for a moment, trying to think of the movie that he watched the most often. He didn't notice her watching him as he unconsciously scrunched his eyebrows together causing worry lines, "Oh! I got it! Romeo and Juliet. The modern day one, not the rubbish that was made back then." He smiled, obviously proud of himself for having thought of his favorite movie, "Your turn."

"Um, 'A Walk To Remember'. Your question."

Spike sighed heavily thinking about the next question to ask, "What is your favorite book?"

"Deb Colettie's Honey, Baby, Sweetheart. You?"

"William Shakespeare's Sonnets. Your turn."

She quickly asked the next question, "What was the most exciting moment of your life?"

"When I first saw you."

That answer stopped her in her tracks. She hadn't expected him to say that. Or to say anything like it. But she let it slip her mind and continued, "When I first drove a car. Your question."

"What was the most frightening moment of your life?"

"When I first drove a car. You?"

He frowned, "How can that be the most exciting and frightening moments in your life?"

She carelessly shrugged, "Well, I was so excited to be able to drive a car legally that I got too excited and I crashed the car over the embankment. That was pretty scary."

He let out a belting laugh that echoed, "You've got to be kidding me? Oh, well, can't all be less confusing. Mine was when I realized that what I saw that bastard doing in the playground was what he was doing to you. Your question, pet."

"Oh, okay. Um, What is your favorite food?"

"It's between Italian and this ice cream called Cookie Dough Fudge Mint Chip. It's the best ice cream out there. You?"

"Chinese. Your turn."

"When did you grow up? Mentally."

"When my mom died. You?"

"Same. Your turn."

She thought for a moment, "Why did you always be mean to me instead of telling me how you felt?"

"Because you pretty much ignored me whenever I was around. I thought that you wouldn't give a second thought to me. Guess we were both wrong. Your turn."

"Well, I pretty much guess that it would be useless to tell you how I felt about you if had always been mean to me. I figured that if you were mean to me, then you didn't feel the same way. Okay, last question, bud. So you better pick a good one."

"Oh sure, no pressure when you say that though." He laughed at her and pulled her closer to him, "Okay. Why did you decide to let me help me that night in the playground?"

"Because of that little voice in my head that told me you cared deep down and that there was only one chance for me to get help and you were it. What about you? Why did you decide to help me that night?"

It didn't take anytime for him to answer her, "Because I knew in that moment that I saw you on the ground, that I loved you and that I never wanted to let anyone ever hurt you again."


~~~


Buffy would never forget that moment. The moment that he had told her that he loved her for the first time. She hadn't said it back, and he didn't force her to. He knew that she wasn't ready for it, and he was willing to wait. She had been so wrapped up in her thoughts that she hadn't noticed the teacher calling on her until Spike gently nudged her elbow. She looked up at the teacher wide eyed, "Yes?"

The teacher looked angry, "Since you're paying such close attention, Ms. Summers, surely you wouldn't mind explaining the age and the trials of the eight stages of life?"

Buffy quickly sat up in her chair, straightening her back, "The first stage is infancy and that usually ranges from birth to about 1 year. The trial is trust vs. mistrust. If the needs are dependably met, infants tend to develop a since of basic trust. Toddler-hood is next. It ranges from about 1 to 2 years of age. The trial is autonomy vs. shame and doubt. During this time-span, toddlers learn to exercise will and do things for themselves or they will doubt their abilities.

"Preschool is the third stage and its age usually ranges from 3 to 5 years of age. The trial is initiative vs. guilt. The preschoolers learn to initiate tasks and carry out plans or they feel guilty about efforts that have failed them to be independent. Elementary school is the fourth stage. The ages are usually 6 to whenever the child hits puberty, which usually is around age 11 or 12. The trial is competence vs. inferiority. Children learn the pleasure of applying themselves to tasks, or they feel inferior.

"Adolescence is the next stage and it usually ranges between the teens and the 20's in age. The trial would be identity vs. role confusion. Teenagers work at refining a sense of self by testing roles and then integrating them to form a single identity, or they become confused about who they are. Young adulthood is the sixth stage and it ranges between the 20's and the early 40's. The trial is intimacy vs. isolation. Young adults struggle to form close relationships and gain the capacity for intimate love, or they feel socially isolated.

"The next stage is middle adulthood and it's usually anywhere between the 40's and the 60's. The trial would be generativity vs. stagnation. People discover a sense of contributing to the world, usually through family and work, or they feel a lack of purpose. The last stage, stage eight, is late adulthood. This is the late 60's and above. The trial is integrity vs. despair. When reflecting on his or her life, older adults may feel a sense of satisfaction or failure."

The teacher looked astonished, "Well, that was...very good. Thank you, Ms. Summers." The bell rang as the teacher was finishing, signaling the end of that day. Buffy was thankful that today was a half day so her last class would be with Spike. When she stood up after getting her things, Spike was waiting for her. She took his hand, "Can we go home now?"

Spike released her hand and put his arm around her shoulders, bringing them closer together, "Yeah, Kitten, we can go home now."



TBC


Chapter End Notes:
This was a longer chapter of mine. I think it's actually the longest chapter that I've ever posted. Ha ha! So what did you think? Good? Bad? Let me know please!!!
=)