Author's Chapter Notes:
At last, some S & B interaction!
Wednesday (3 days to go)

The atmosphere in the high rollers' room was quiet but filled with tension. Giles, or rather Lyman Kakistos, took off his glasses and began to clean them. Hearing someone enter the room, he placed them back on his nose as Angel walked in, right on schedule, and approached the pit boss by the entrance.
“Alright Ben, anything for me?” He whispered.

“Mr. Kakistos, sir.” The other man replied. “Lyman Kakistos. In the third position. Wishes to speak with you privately.”

“Who is he?”

“Businessman of some kind. He’s very vague, but I asked around. Word is he’s pretty powerful in Europe.”

“He’s staying here?”

“Checked in yesterday, sir. He’s in the Innocence suite.” Ben informed him.

“How’s he doing?”

“Up, almost two hundred.”

“Good for him...” Angel said sarcastically, knowing he couldn’t avoid meeting with this man. He checked his watch, ‘going to make me late…’

**********************

At the same time, Buffy was sitting at a table in the restaurant sipping a glass of wine, also checking her watch. She smiled when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

Without turning, she teased, “You’re thirty seconds late. I was about to send out a search...” She trailed off when she looked up at the man.

“Hello cutie.” Spike grinned down at her. It had been over three years since he’d last seen her and she was more effulgent than ever. Xanders ‘amazing’ didn’t begin to do her justice. “You miss me?” He asked as he moved around the table and pulled out the chair opposite the blonde.

Buffy tensed, staring at him, various emotions running across her features; she seemed stunned, thrilled, petrified and outraged to see him. Of cause she’d known his realise date and that he’d track her down eventually, but she didn’t think it would be so soon and was totally unprepared for his sudden reappearance. Her automatic reaction turned out to be anger.

“Like a hole in the head.” She spat.

He smirked while Buffy stared daggers; it obviously wasn’t meant as a joke.

After sitting in awkward silence for a while, Spike looked down at his companion’s hand.
“You’re not wearing your ring.” Though he wasn’t all that surprised.

Following his gaze, she took her hands of the table self consciously, placing them in her lap. She raised her eyes to meat his defiantly. “I don't have a husband anymore.”

He gave her a tiny nod and a sad smile, she looked away from him.

“Spike, go, now. Before -”

“Angel?”

Her eyes snapped back to him to find him grinning, realising he already knew.

“I ain’t scared of that poofter.”

“Spike...” She warned.

“You’re doing a great job curetting the museum pet.”

She sighed, exasperated. He always did that, got her so frustrated she was ready to tear her hair out, or more temptingly his, and then changed the subject at the drop of a hat.

He continued. “I like the Inca section, although that mummy is starting to show its age.”

“Looked in a mirror lately?”

Spike smirked again, marvelling in the way he could still wind her up and get a reaction out of her. Three years apart and they were already back to sniping at each other. He’d missed this.

They went back to silence until Spike couldn’t take it anymore. “Okay. I’ll make this quick; I know I don’t exactly have a reputation for being a thinker. I make a lot of mistakes. A lot of wrong bloody calls. Twenty eight years and there’s only one thing I’ve ever been sure of. You. I came here for you. I still love you Buffy and I always will. ”

She continued to stare at him, trying to keep her expression blank. But on hearing his words, she twitched ever so slightly and he noticed, taking it as encouragement to continue.

“I’m going to get on with my life, and I want you with me.”

Buffy shook her head. “Do you know what your problem is?” She asked him.

“I only have one?”

Buffy continued, ignoring his remark. “You’re too used to getting your own way.” She looked down. “I’m with Angel now.” ‘Yeah, good one Buff, that sounded real convincing. Now say it once more, with just a splash more conviction.’

She refused to meet his eyes, afraid he’d see the doubt in them; he always could read her like a book.

“Listen, you don't love me anymore; you want to make a life with someone else? Fine, I’ll have to live with that. But not him.”

“If it hadn’t been for Angel who knows where I’d have ended up. Flipping burgers at a Doublemeat Palace probably.”

“I’m not joking, Buffy.”

“I’m not laughing William.”

He winced at that; she only reverted to his real name when she was really serious.

“So you’re only shagging him because he gave you a job?”

The quiet restaurant seemed to echo with the sound of the slap and heads turned to witness the apparent quarrel.

Spike exhaled and leaned back, his hand going to his still stinging cheek. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have said that. But I know people, Buffy. And my gut tells me this is a wrong guy.”

She looked at him sadly; part of her deep down knew that he wasn't wrong. She’d had her doubts about Angel too. But she was stubborn to the core and there was no way she was going to let him know that.

Spike placed his hand on her chin, guiding her head up to look at him again. “You remember what you used to say? There is one perfect person for everyone, their soul mate. You said there are two groups of people in the world, that minority who actually find that someone and those that never do, who never get to experience real true love. You said I was that person for you; we were amongst the lucky few who fell into the first set. Now, what, you just don’t believe that anymore?”

Buffy’s eyes filled with sadness. “No I still believe it, but I’ve also realised there’s a third group. Those people who found that perfect person, but then something happened and it ended. Those people are worse off than the people who never find it, because they have to live their lives everyday knowing how perfect they had it for a while.”

She paused, gathering her thoughts.

“The problem with loving someone so deeply is that when the bad times come, the hurt can be too much to endure. It becomes too hard being with someone who can trigger such intense emotion. Then, sometimes love isn’t enough.”

Spike sat quietly, contemplating her words. They stared at each other in silence.

**********************

On the other side of the hotel to where the ex’s were ‘catching up’, Angel and Giles were in a corner of the casino deep in discussion.
“I have a package arriving here Saturday evening. A black briefcase, standard size, the contents of which are very valuable to me.” he older man said.

“I’d be happy to put it in the house safe for you.” Angel told him, starting to move away.

Giles stopped him. “The house safe is not satisfactory. I’m afraid I need something more secure.”

“I can assure you Mr Kakistos, the house safe is utterly –“

“And I can assure you, Mr. Benedict, your generosity in this matter will not be overlooked. Now, what can you offer me besides the safe?”

Giles's eyes were pure steel; Lyman Kakistos was not a man familiar with being denied. Angel recognised that fact.

**********************

Buffy sighed again, the little patience she had left dwindling. “Remember how we always used to joke that you were like Robin Hood? You’d only steal from rich people, who’d barely notice it was gone. But then you robbed the museum. MY museum. You promised me I wouldn’t be affected, you wouldn’t get me involved. I had to leave LA to get away from what happened, Spike. Leave my friends and family.”

He sighed too. “Pet, I’m sorry. Pulling that job was the biggest mistake of my life and I wish I could take it back, but I can’t.”

“You’re right, we can’t change the past. What’s done is done. But we can learn from our mistakes and make sure we don’t make the same ones again.” She told him.

Spike wasn’t sure how to take that. “Do you remember what you said to me when we first met that night at the Bronze?”

^^^^^^^^^^^

Flashback

“I don’t know why I let you drag me here.” A nineteen year old Buffy complained as a then brunette Anya pulled her onto the dance floor.

“Because sitting at home mopping over that jerk Ford wasn’t doing you any good. He isn’t worth your time; he’s an arrogant dick who’s intimidated by strong women. It’s been two months. Time to get back out there and start having orgasms again.”

Buffy shot her best friend a dubious look.

Anya sighed. “Buffy, you’re young and beautiful, its time to start having fun. Look I’m not saying you have to marry the next guy you meet or anything.”

Buffy sighed and reluctantly began to dance to the beat, unaware a figure was watching her every move from his position at the bar.

It wasn’t long before Anya began dancing with some random guy, a goofy looking brunette. Not wanting to dance alone, Buffy was about to go and sit down for a while when she felt eyes on her. Turning her head sharply, she found herself staring into a pair of sparkling blue orbs across the other side of the club.

Spike held the gaze of the gorgeous blonde who had caught his eye as soon as she’d walked in. Up until that point he’d thought the evening was going to be a disappointment. His best friend Xander had dragged him out to keep him company while he drowned his sorrows; his ex-girlfriend had just gotten married to some big shot Vegas businessman. But the more he’d drank, the more Xander’s mood changed for the better; from being heartbroken and thinking he’d never find love again, to realising it was time to move on, Cordelia had after all in marrying Angel. So the brunette had since been doing the rounds, trying to find someone new, leaving Spike alone at the bar for the rest of the night. And it looked like Xander had been successful. Behind the blonde Spike saw his friend in the arms of a curvy brunette man-eater. In fact, it looked to be the girl his Goldilocks came in with.

Focussing back on the object of his attraction, Spike downed the rest of his drink and made his way through the crowd. When he reached her, he wrapped his arms around her from behind without saying a word and the two began swaying to the music.

Buffy turned to face the stranger, placing her arms around his neck. “You better like a challenge.”

^^^^^^^^^^^

Spike smiled wistfully. “You know I don’t give up easily.”

They held each others gaze.

“Am I interrupting something?” They both turned their heads sharply, looking up at the figure looming over them.

Spike faltered for just a second before catching himself. “Not at all. We were just catching up.” He smirked.

Buffy shot him a warning glace before smiling at the taller man. “Angel, meet my ex-husband Will-“

Spike stood up, extending his hand. “Spike Ocean.”

Angel took it. “Mr. Ocean.” He turned to Buffy, sitting down in the chair the other man had vacated. “Sorry I’m late Buff, I had to speak to a guest.”

“It’s fine. Spike was just walking through the restaurant and spotted me.”

“Is that right?” Angel asked, eyebrow rose doubtfully.

“I was shocked myself. Imagine the odds.” Spike said with too much enthusiasm.

Throughout the exchange, Spike played with his wedding band. Angel noticed this.
“You’ve been in prison until recently, isn't that right?” He asked, continuing when he got a nod of confirmation. “How does it feel to be out?”

“Not a lot's changed actually.” Spike said, looking at Buffy. ‘Still want what I can’t have.’

Buffy was keen to end the awkwardness. “Angel, Spike was just about to...”

Spike sighed, giving in. “I just wanted to say hello. For old time's sake.”

“Stay for a drink, if you like.” Angel told him, wanting to prove he wasn’t threatened by the man from his lovers past.

“He can't.” “I can't.” Buffy and Spike said simultaneously.

An awkward silence followed, the two staring at each other, a small smile on both their lips. Angel noticed, and he wasn’t happy. He took Buffy's hand in his. It did the trick; she focused her attention back to him.

“Well then, I don't imagine we'll be seeing you again, Mr. Ocean.” Angel’s eyes never left Buffy.

“You never know.” Spike’s gaze was directed the same way.

“Oh, I know everything that happens in my hotels.” Angel assured him, kissing Buffy’s hand; marking his territory.

‘I wouldn’t be so sure about that Peaches.’ Spike smiled in defeat, for now. “Good seeing you, Buffy.”

“Take care, Spike.” She sighed, glad the confrontation was over but knowing it wasn’t the end.

“Angel.” He nodded to the other man.

“Spike.” Angel all but spat out.

The bleached blonde left the restaurant without glancing back. If he had of done he would have seen the brunette woman watching him.

Faith shook her head; ‘you’re playing with fire Blondie.’