Author's Chapter Notes:
Spike: next chapter!!!!!!!!! Comic spoilers still apply.
Chapter Three

Sally smiled to herself as she thought how close she and Buffy had become. Though, not physically close. She ached to touch her commander but she knew she couldn’t. Buffy would spar, but only with weapons and her feet. Skin would never come into contact with skin. And Sally watched. She knew she was almost as good, if not equal, to her commander’s fighting skills but she hadn’t the faintest idea how or why.

Slowly, after that day on the staircase, Buffy would find Sally alone and they’d share a secret.



In the dark of the night, Sally was now perched on the end of Buffy’s bed, her commander in a deep, fretful sleep.



“I don’t like peas. I just found out at lunch.”



Sally sighed quietly and sipped her coke. Slayers didn’t need to worry about diet anything.



Buffy was breathing so quietly, occasionally the sinister hiccup and moan of ‘no’. She looked so innocent, so young, and so vulnerable.



It was one of the few times Sally got to see the woman, Buffy, and not the Slayer. And Sally was the only person, of late, that had seen the woman who was in such great pain and utterly exhausted from keeping up the chipper and commanding persona in front of her troops. But she was. Commanding that is. A true general. For some reason, though, Buffy seemed to find the woman within, the girl that was lost when her General voice was turned on, when she was around the amnesic blonde.



Even in her sleep.



Sally fingered the lips of the soda can and brought it up to her mouth, all the time looking down at the sleeping form of a delicious woman. Buffy’s curves were so delicate beneath the beautiful night dress, hugging her pert breasts that ached to be loved. Sally wanted to run her hand along Buffy’s bare leg and up beneath the side slit of the nightie. Tongue the skin that had to be salty as goose pimples flickered along the gold expanse in the cold breeze that galloped through the draughty castle.

Sally’s hands clenched as the desperate need to nibble and suck on Buffy’s exposed neck and down along her collarbone to the taunting top of Buffy’s breasts rocked through Sally’s body. Her eyes widened in shock at the wrong thoughts and she tried to cover her horrified pupils with her hands.



She had to get control of herself. She came to see Buffy for a reason, came to tell Buffy something, came to get it off her chest and ask it of the only woman who actively engaged in an interest in her.



“I need to ask you a question. I know you can’t hear me, but I have to ask anyway.



“Do you ever feel like a monster? Like you are a monster because of the thing inside us that makes Slayers…I know the girls said you were offered the power source of the beast that merged with the First Slayer. That you turned down the pure power, wanted to stay human. But are you? Are any of us? What exactly are we and where do we fit?”



Sally’s voice was so fragile and vulnerable. Pleading. Sally was pleading Buffy to placate and reassure her there wasn’t any way they were part of the darkness.



Instinctively, Sally reached out to smooth down Buffy’s hair and thumb her forehead, halting just before she made contact.



Sally looked up and blinked. God if only she had no heart and could make that last inch disappear.



But she couldn’t and Buffy couldn’t touch her.



“God, I’m sorry.” With that, Sally fled.



****



Sally rushed through the castle; the command centre alarms pealing through the corridors as Buffy’s private suite of rooms were breached and the shields had fallen into place. In horror, Sally watched from behind the rubber ducked pyjamaed Xander as a brunette witch tried to plunge a knife into Buffy’s chest.



Sally didn’t hesitate. She threw herself at the witch as another Slayer went for the brunette’s legs.



“That is the crappiest sacrificial dagger I’ve ever seen.” Xander held up the spliced knife as the witch, Amy, threw Sally and the other Slayer over her shoulders with bolts of blue magic, swirling in their air like the trails of Elton John’s party hats.



Amy cackled as the deathly still Buffy slumbered through the noise of the scuffle and Sally brushed herself off. She dared to take a look out of the castle window and she almost fainted with shock. Zombies in freaking kilts were scaling the castle’s palisade.



“…And the only thing that can wake her up is the kiss of true love.” Said the witch.



Sally looked back as Xander groaned and Slayers came running in, screaming about the zombies. Xander began delegating the troops. And Sally just stared down at Buffy, a mist covering her eyes as she took in the little Slayer’s body in the sweet white night gown and Sally had to force the bile rising up her throat to back the hell down. Sally knew what she had to do and she just hoped everyone just buggared off out of Buffy’s room so she could finally touch her commander.



****



The next few hours flew by and Xander had a heap of slayers corralled in Buffy’s bedroom.



Within five minutes of the zombie fight and an escape attempt from Amy, half the slayers sighed in relief as they saw a green thing hovering over the battlefield, red hair blowing softly in the non-existent moor winds.



Suddenly, the fight had stopped as zombies began valiantly bowing and asking Slayers ‘may I have this dance?’



A magical battle in the sky with the green thing, Willow, and then Giant Dawn stomping on Amy signalled that the fight was over. Willow had Amy wrapped up in a magical tank, guiding her into the castle’s interior as the zombies began dancing ring-a-ring-a-rosie around Dawn’s giant sneakers.



And now, Willow was looking over her old friend trapped in Love’s Lost Sleep.



“Buffy needs to be kissed by someone who’s in love with her. And someone in this room is. So everybody’s gonna shut their eyes – and keep ‘em shut if they wanna keep ‘em – and that person will step forward and give Buffy a kiss.”



Sally gulped. The scary red head’s tirade had ended with a pointed glance in Sally’s direction.



Sally wiped the sweat off her brow and licked the perspiration from the top of her lips.



She hated betraying Buffy’s trust like this but the dancing Scottish zombie hoard wasn’t going away and the evil witch was healing in the basement after being trodden on by Dawn and Buffy was needed. And Sally needed Buffy.



And now the red head was currently staring right into Sally’s soul so Sally did as she aught to and leant over Buffy’s prone body. Her lips hovered over Buffy’s still face and with great uncertainty, the buxom blonde pressed forward to touch her salt laced lips to Buffy’s.



And with that one touch, Sally remembered exactly how important she really was.



Buffy’s eyes fluttered open and Sally stepped back in line with the shut-eye slayers as Buffy sat up and shouted, “Fish and chips!”



Sally discreetly wiped the streaming tears away from her eyes as her memories finally flooded back. Angel was going to bloody freak.