Author's Chapter Notes:
thanks for the reviews...
cordykitten, jon, pam s, lucy marsters, lou, jo. ami, katkin, and photographynut.
they ,make my day and feed the muse. if anyone fancies doing a banner???
Spike listened one more time to the growling of Buffy’s stomach before pulling his jeans towards himself. Buffy pouted as he slipped them on and pulled them up over his slim hips then slipped his docs onto his feet. He had sexy feet she thought as she watched him dress; how anyone could have sexy feet she didn’t know, but he did. They were pale and incredibly well shaped. So were his legs and his thighs, his abs, his pecs, shoulders… it always seemed like he had been carved from alabaster. Not marble that was cold and hard, but alabaster that shone with an inner light… then her stomach growled again and Spike lifted a sardonic eyebrow and did that thing with his tongue that made her melt and forget what she was supposed to be doing.

Her hunger started to bite though: this time when her stomach rumbled to itself it hurt. Buffy whimpered, and Spike changed from a playful idiot to a serious, concerned lover.

‘Enough slayer, you need food.’

He picked up his tee shirt and shrugged it over his chest before throwing Buffy a pair of panties that had been sitting on the floor.

‘These are dirty,’ she pouted again.

‘Just put ‘em on, Buffy, and I’ll give you a nice bath after I’ve fed you. Come on pet, time for dinner.’ She looked divine laying on the bed with her hair and clothes all messed. If it wasn’t for the fact that he could hear her stomach growling from across the room he’d give her another seeing to right now.

‘There’s clean ones in the drawer,’ she pointed to the half open chest and looked at him with the pout he never could resist. Spike picked up a black thong and sniffed it deeply.

‘Doesn’t smell of you properly yet pet: you sure you want these ones?’ he smirked.
Buffy nodded and caught the clean set as he threw them at her.

Spike looked at her and his heart melted, she was perfect in his eyes and always would be. He watched as she slipped on the underwear and straightened her skirt, then she picked up the packet of cigarettes and handed them over to him…

‘Don’t need these to remind me how you smell now,’ she told him with a soft smile.
He could feel her confusion, it came off her in waves scenting the air she was breathing.

‘What is it pet? What’s scaring you? The Big Bad won’t let anything happen to you , you know.’

‘Nothing, it’s just that everything seemed so bad, they even hurt Mr Gordo. And there was nothing I could do: I have never felt so useless or so helpless. And they wouldn’t leave me alone, they just wanted an obedient puppet who’d do as she was told, and I didn’t have the strength to fight. It was like I was empty inside.’

‘It’ll be ok pet, nothing can hurt you now, you’ve been rescued by prince charming,’ he grinned, watching her puzzled face. She was cute when she was like this, but he wished he could ease her soul. It crippled him to hear her in such pain, and he wished he could rip Rupert’s and Red’s heads off.

‘What do you mean, Spike?’ she said as she pulled down her shirt, tying it off where he’d ripped the buttons. Just being with him made her feel so much better and maybe next time they’d both be naked, she thought with a gentle smile. Spike held the door open for her, his Victoria upbringing rearing its head again, and followed her through the barrier to find the food.

‘I’ll explain everything while you’re eating, Goldilocks,’ he said as he followed her out of the door, shutting it carefully behind him. He could see the red glimmer of the barrier still in place. He put his hand through it, checking he could still return when he needed to. It was good to know her room was safe from whoever might be wandering around.

‘You’ll tell me everything?’ Her voice seemed quiet, fragile even. The amazing strength that had been the very hallmark of her fire seemed dimmed by the events that had happened since the fall of Sunnydale. He knew he had to relight that fire, bring back the spark into her eyes and her heart.

‘I’ll tell you everything I know pet, and by the way: that pig? It’s fixed.’ He opened the door again so that she could see the shelf where Mr Gordo sat in all his glory with the picture of Spike propped up on his leg. The pig seemed to be smirking at her, as though he knew secrets, but like always he wasn’t telling what he knew.

Buffy had taken just a step through the barrier when she was hit by the smell of vomit and urine everywhere. ‘What the hell?’ she started to say before a long forgotten voice answered her.

‘Sorry about that Buffy, I haven’t cleaned up properly yet.’

‘Merrick? Merrick!’ she squealed in delight and she leapt towards him. Spike suddenly realised that the pitch Dawn could reach was genetic. He felt a little jealous at the welcome the man, ghost, man was getting, but smiled indulgently as the other man winced with the strength of the hug he was given.

‘If you go down stairs to the kitchen Buffy, you’ll find a nice butterfly chicken and the trimmings waiting for you, and Spike, there is some fresh blood in the fridge, it’s the good stuff, AB+ from a reputable dealer.’

Spike nodded his thanks: it was kind of the late watcher to think of him as well as Buffy. Buffy who was still holding onto the man just squeezed a little harder, making Merrick go quite pale.

‘Ribs, Buffy, ribs!’ He managed to gasp out.

‘Oops, Sorry,’ the slayer said as she released the pressure; luckily nothing had broken under the onslaught. Merrick smiled indulgently. ‘And Buffy, there’s ice cream in the freezer, Ben and Jerry’s, double chocolate.’ He added with a smile. ‘We’ll talk later poppet, you go off with the vampire because I seem to have a lot of clearing up, mind you personally I think I should leave it for Giles to sort out himself,’ he added with a shrug.

‘Would prefer it if you didn’t wait that long, vampire sense of smell is not something you want when someone else has pissed ‘emselves,’ Spike commented as he took Buffy’s hand and led her towards the food he could smell.

‘Ewww,’ was all Buffy could think or say as she trailed on behind Spike.



Buffy stopped outside Dawn’s room quite suddenly, making the vampire come up short. She could hear someone crying, howling as though their heart was breaking. It was Dawnie. Buffy started to head for the door but Spike stopped her.

‘Your mum’s in there pet, she’s giving your sis a talking to,’ Spike said gently, lacing his fingers with hers and bringing them up to his mouth: some judicious nibbling of her fingers and Buffy just might not barge in there like an avenging angel.

‘What, mom? And talking to?’ she tried to follow what Spike had said to her, but her brain seemed to want to reject the words.

‘Well that bit’s my fault, I made a wish that they would feel the pain they’d put you through, all of them, and it was granted. I just wanted them to know what it felt like, all the messing they’d done to you, the pain they’d put you through…’ he looked a little guilty, as though she was going to shout at him.

‘Riley? Xander?’ She asked, still trying to absorb all that she had been told.

‘And Faith, Robin and Willow.’ He didn’t want to miss anyone in case his memory wrote checks his nose would have to cash when she finally thought it all through. He had to tell her the truth now, he might not get another chance.

‘Oh,’ was the surprisingly restrained reply.

‘You’re not angry with me?’ She should be surely? Her so-called ‘friends’ were getting tormented and she hadn’t lost her temper yet and Spike couldn’t quite believe it. It seemed unlike her normal surly behaviour.

Buffy shrugged. ‘I should be I suppose, but if they are feeling what they dealt to me and nothing more than that, then if they didn’t deal anything they won’t feel it. Now more importantly, where’s that ice cream?’

She pulled him forward without a backward glance at the room where Joyce was talking to her youngest.


Chapter End Notes:
well?