Author's Chapter Notes:
thanks to everyone who has read and reviewed. I hope you've enjoyed the ride, this was meant to be a very short story, but it grew legs and ran away from me
Willow climbed down from the bus and looked around: as far as she could see this place was like any other small town in America, but her beloved Rachael Mama had said she was to come here for the spring break from college. Willow had been so excited when she’d been accepted to MIT two years ago, specialising in computers and maths. It had been a great adventure to go back to the country of her birth for the first time. Rachael had been a wonderful foster mother, loving, kind and powerful. She had taught Willow all about the balance between light and dark, good and evil and love and hate, and Willow had known she was truly loved and special.

It was getting dark, and she wanted to get to a hotel before night truly fell. Rachael had booked her into the Wintervale lodge for two whole weeks. The woods nearby had some amazing walks in them, and the brochure said that she could hire bikes or horses to explore the countryside.

She picked up her bag and headed towards the taxi rank. It seemed empty and she felt in her pocket for the vial of Holy water she always carried with her. The cross around her neck had been blessed by her darling Rachael as a good luck gift when she’d left home.

The peace of the evening had her reminiscing about her strange upbringing; she knew all about the fostering of her by Rachael, how Merrick had brought her to England as a baby. She loved Merrick, he had visited her over the years, helping her control the powers that coursed through her veins and soul. She’d need those powers here: she could feel demons around her, and was scared, but she wouldn’t attack. She knew better than that, she could defend herself, yes, but she would only defend herself, never attack, and never, never, never use it to manipulate the world around her or make the world bend to her will.

‘Can I help you?’ a voice said from behind her, causing her to turn and put up a protective barrier. Standing there was a beautiful blond woman a couple of years younger than she was, dressed in swirling skirts and a peasant blouse, also holding a weekend bag. Her piercing blue eyes seemed to see straight into Willow’s soul. Willow sensed that the woman wasn’t purely human, but whatever the mix was it should be mixed more often.

‘I’m waiting for a taxi,’ Willow said carefully, ‘there should be one along in a minute or two.’

She felt uneasy standing alone in the darkening twilight, but the woman made no move towards her, and Willow could see the soul shining out from the stranger.

‘My dad’s picking us up: I’m home for spring break, he could give you a lift if you like. I’m Tara,’ the girl held out her hand, ‘and that’s Anya my sister.’ She pointed at an identical girl who was dressed in black leather, smoking a cigarette in the shelter of the bus station.

A black people carrier pulled in to the space clearly marked ‘reserved’ and a slim blond man got out. Willow sent out her normal scry, only to have the reply returned ‘Vampire’ - and master vampire at that. They were in danger. She took a firm hold on the holy water and turned to the two girls.

‘He’s not who you think any more: run!’ she yelled, but the girls were running - towards the being with the piercing blue eyes and swirling leather coat.

‘Daddy!’ Anya squealed and hugged onto him tightly, Tara waiting patiently for her turn. The vampire held out his free arm and she took her place at his side.

‘How are my two best eldest daughters?’ he asked, kissing both girls on the cheek. He picked up their bags and effortlessly threw them into the back of the truck. ‘Anya, don’t smoke in the house, your mother doesn’t like it…’ he looked at the girl in black leather very pointedly.

‘Dad,’ Tara pointed to Willow, ‘she’s waiting for a cab; could we drop her off please?’

Willow was backing away, and Spike looked at her properly for the first time

‘Willow? Red?’ He moved forward and watched the girl skitter backwards. ‘She’s pulling power, Dad,’ Anya said quietly.

‘Not going to hurt you, pet.’ He reached for a cell phone and flipped it open; dialling a number he spoke quickly into it. ‘Need a cab to the bus station immediately, human driver,’ he snapped the phone closed. ‘No-one’s going to hurt you pet, just going to wait here quietly with you until the cab arrives, so you feel safe; then you can go where you’re headed.’ He looked over at the girl, a girl he hadn’t seen in twenty years.

‘You’re a vampire,’ she whispered.

‘Dad’s the Master of Wintervale, in fact he’s one of the three masters in the whole of the USA,’ Anya boasted.

‘Not helping, platelet,’ he grinned at his daughter, ‘poor girl’s nervous enough as it is. Don’t need to scare her any more than we have already with me not having a pulse.’

Anya snorted and climbed into the waiting car, but Tara walked slowly towards the red haired witch. ‘He won’t hurt you,’ she said gently to the obviously scared girl.

‘He’s a vampire,’ Willow repeated, as though it were some sort of mantra.

‘Yeah, well he’s sort of fangless now,’ Tara looked at her father, especially when he gave an indignant cry.

‘Remind me why I didn’t eat you when you were born!’

‘Cause Mom would have staked you, and she can still kick your ass when she’s pissed at you,’ came the bored reply from inside the car.

‘Language, Anya,’ the vampire said on automatic.

‘How did you know my name?’ Willow managed to ask, eventually overcoming her fear and shyness.

‘Knew you before, pet, counted you as a friend at one time. My wife loved you and knowing her, she would love to see you again. If you want to see us, ask any cab for the Master’s house, and he’ll bring you to us.’

The cab drew up as they were speaking and a young man climbed out to help Willow with her bag. ‘She’s under my protection,’ the vampire told the driver before handing Tara into his own vehicle and pulling away. Willow got into the car on automatic and didn’t hear the driver ask ‘Where to?’ the first time. She eventually remembered to tell him which hotel and spent the drive pondering over the strangest encounter she’d ever had, and she’d had a few in her life. It would be something amazing to tell Rachael when she emailed her tomorrow.

Next day saw the young witch standing outside a shop called the Magic Box. It was the sort of place she loved to browse, and Rachael had sent her money for her vacation. She pushed open the door, listening to the tinkle of the bell as it called an older man from the back.

He spoke before he looked up. ‘Can I help you?’ he asked, finally taking his attention away from the book in his hands.

‘Just browsing,’ she answered and his eyes darted to her face.

‘Willow?’ Giles knew he was standing there with his mouth wide open looking like an idiot but he couldn’t help it. ‘My dear, how wonderful to see you again!’

‘You know me?’ Willow managed to say before she found herself being hugged by the older man.

‘Well yes, at least I did 20 years ago. Before we all got ‘our arses handed to us big style,’ as one of my younger friends put it. It is wonderful to see you, oh I’ve already said that, but it’s so true it’s worth repeating. Would you like some tea?’

Willow nodded, trying to take it all in. Rachael had told her there would be answers, but this was weird. She followed Giles into the back office and watched as he went through the ritual of making tea. A pot was warmed and leaves added; it was a soothing sight for a woman raised in England.

They were sharing the drink before Willow spoke again. ‘What is it with this place? There was a vampire last night, but he wasn’t attacking anyone: he was picking up his daughters. At least that’s what the girls said…’

‘That would be Anya and Tara, they’re Dhampirs and adored by their parents. They’ve just started college; I suppose they are home for the break?’

Willow nodded, and looked around the room. It was filled with books and grimoires that she would love to read; the cabinet in the corner had an axe sticking out of the door. What sort of shop is this? she thought to herself.

‘In that case I had better get some more cakes in, those girls eat me out of house and home every time they visit.’

‘You know them well then?’ Willow tried to understand what she was being told but it all seemed confusing.

‘Very well, very well indeed. I gave Buffy, their mother, away at her wedding, and was actually the one to drive her to hospital when they were born. Spike had been out dealing with a problem Kathanti Demon who was prowling around and breaking the rules the Master had laid down about living here…’

‘Rules? Master? A vampire having children? Believe me, I’m confused girl here!’ Willow giggled.

‘When we defeated the First and the hellmouth at Sunnydale collapsed we thought that Spike had died. Buffy was distraught… I don’t know if I should be telling you all this…’

‘Please!’ Willow begged, ‘Rachael said there were answers here, answers to questions about my life, and the reason I was given another chance, I just have to know!’ Willow turned her eyes up to the man. ‘Please!’

‘If it gets too much you must tell me and I will stop,’ Giles said and Willow nodded her agreement, taking another sip of the tea in her hand.

‘Buffy is the slayer: you know what they are?’
Willow nodded again, the tea easing any tension she felt.

‘And she had a group of friends who she really loved, but when it came down to it, we didn’t love her as much, we betrayed her, and manipulated her. Willow, our Willow, used magic to make people around her do as she wanted…’

Willow looked horrified. ‘But the balance, the goddess’ rules…’

‘That was my fault, I didn’t train her properly, I left her to find out about her gifts by herself, and I blamed myself for what happened; are you sure you’re ok?’

Willow nodded again and put her mug down. ‘Please carry on,’ she asked. ‘Rachael has told me some of this but I need to know, this was my life and although she’s been fantastic, I know that I really messed up.’

‘You did; we all did. Buffy suffered far more than she should have; the only person who stood by her the whole time, the only person who never let her down, was Spike, a vampire, who had killed two slayers and came to Sunnydale to make Buffy his third, but her spirit, her goodness, shone out and he changed, became one of the good guys and none of us believed it; even when she died saving her sister, he stayed to protect Dawn.’

‘I’ve met Dawn, she came to visit my foster mum and the Rollright Stones. She was an amazing lady: calm, serene, and peaceful, she showed me how to call fire from ice, and her husband Connor was charming; I think Rachael has a soft spot for him.’

‘Dawn is a very skilful witch, and practises hard. The trial we had to undergo made us all re-evaluate our lives: Dawn split up with her boyfriend at the time very soon afterwards, she saw how shallow he had been, and he disapproved of her new seriousness.’

‘And Buffy: did she undergo the trial?’

‘No, oh no, she was protected, she had tried to commit suicide, but she is an immortal being so it didn’t work. She had been through hell because of us: she lost a child, a precious, much wanted child, and we gave her no support, just punished her for mourning the death of her lover and her child.’

‘I didn’t think vampires could have children?’ Willow was trying to understand what she was being told.

‘It’s not well known, we all thought magic had been involved with the first pregnancy, but found out later that vampires can father children, mostly boys, but it’s supposed to be rare… however, Spike and Buffy have two girls, whom you have met, and three boys, as well as another set of twins on the way.’

‘That’s quite a family; aren’t they scared about the children being targeted?’

‘You’ll have to ask them about that, but I pity anyone or anything that tries to harm any of their children. Buffy may not be the world’s only slayer any more - there are about fifty dotted here and there - but she is the longest lived, and Spike is a master vampire with a mean temper when crossed. On top of that the children have a vengeance angel for a grandmother… and Wintervale runs under different rules. If you don’t cause trouble you can stay; if you are out for mischief, God help you because no one else will. Look, its nearly lunch time: I’m going to shut up shop and drive you over there. Buffy will be delighted to see you.’

‘Thanks: are you sure its not too much trouble?’ Willow asked; she didn’t want to cause any fuss. ‘I can grab a cab if you give me the address.’

‘No trouble at all, I need to get some paperwork from my house, and it’s just around the corner from Buffy’s place; comes in useful when I baby sit,’ the older man grinned. The memories of helping to take care of Buffy and Spike’s family while the parents took some grown-up time always brought a smile to his face. He led the way out of the shop, locking up behind himself and opened the door to a red sports car that had been parked outside.

Giles dropped her off at the entrance to a large family home set in beautiful gardens: she could hear sounds of laughter and splashing coming from one side and there were a few very nice cars and a couple of motorbikes parked in the driveway.

‘I don’t care what you said Spike, I am going out tonight and I’m going to the party with the girls…’ the voice was coming towards her, and she turned to see a short, blond and obviously pregnant woman, wrapped in a sarong and swimsuit, waddling towards her along the path. That must be Buffy, thought Willow. She was being followed by the vampire from last night; Willow wasn’t sure which bit surprised her the most, the fact that a master vampire was being so patient with the pregnant woman, or the fact that he was walking around in the daylight. She checked her pocket again to make sure her crucifix was still there and made her way slowly towards the couple. Buffy looked up and couldn’t believe her eyes.

‘Willow!’ she yelled before running, slowly, towards the witch. ‘How are you? Spike said there might be a surprise today, but I can’t believe you’re here, come on inside and meet everyone!’ Buffy pulled at her arm, leading her towards the front door that stood wide open and welcoming.

Willow felt a little overwhelmed, she didn’t know these people, yet they knew her. She dragged her feet just a little...

Spike came up slowly, quietly, he had no wish to spook the young girl who knew what he was and judged him by it. But she hadn’t attacked him last night, she had just warned his daughters and tried to protect them. That spoke volumes about her to the master vampire.

‘Hi luv: you made it here OK then?’ Willow nodded slowly.

‘I’m glad. The blond whirlwind that has grabbed you so firmly is my wife Buffy, the one I was telling you about.’

Buffy turned, open-mouthed. ‘God, I’m sorry: you don’t remember us, do you? I’m Buffy, and we were friends in high school and college, in fact we roomed in college, and this is my husband, Spike.’

‘The vampire?’ Willow said slowly.

‘Yep, the vampire, he’s ok though, doesn’t bite unless you beg really nicely.’

Willow blushed as the look that passed between the two blonds made the hidden meaning only too obvious.

‘Come on in and meet the madhouse,’ Buffy said, ‘and that’s just the kids!’ The blond man just laughed and made his way to the front door.

Willow looked around her. The place seemed like a normal family home: pictures lining the stairs showed children growing up, and there were toys everywhere. There was an office behind the stairs and an older man was puttering about tidying up books, with a couple of boys trying to help him. The boys were carrying piles that seemed far too big for their small frames, but they seemed to be having no problems.

Buffy led the way into a brightly-lit kitchen overlooking a beautiful garden where a five year old boy was playing with a huge dog. There were pictures here too, drawings made at kindy as well as original works of art, and a huge photomontage of people, in the middle of which was her face. Her hair was longer, and the eyes a little more haunted, but it was her.

‘That’s me,’ she stammered, looking closely at the picture, trying to believe what her eyes were telling her.

‘Yes: Willow it is, and that’s Xander, your best friend from school first time round. He’s in Africa watching over a problem place,’ Buffy explained, pointing to the handsome man whose arm was wrapped around her shoulder.

‘A Hellmouth?’ Willow asked, looking at the other faces in the pictures.

‘You know about those?’

Willow nodded. ‘Merrick used to come and tell me stories, Rachael used to get so cross with him.’ She smiled at the memories that surfaced.

‘Rachael?’ Spike asked, making sure he stayed a good distance from the still frightened woman. He could hear her heart beating too fast and too hard.

‘My foster mum,’ the red head explained. It sounded peculiar to hear Willow with an English accent but it suited her somehow.

‘And now you’re here, for a vacation?’

‘Rachael said I was supposed to come: she said the answers I sought would be answered where light and dark stay together in the winter valley - she’s like that sometimes. She tends to speak in riddles to make you think for yourself.’ Willow moved towards the breakfast bar and sat where Buffy had placed a soda down for her.

‘Well, he’s the dark and I’m traditionally held to be the light,’ Buffy said, pouring herself a glass of fresh fruit juice. ‘I’m a slayer.’

‘The slayer.’ The vampire objected to the word ‘A.’

‘A slayer,’ she repeated, ‘there were thousands at one time, but after an incident, most didn’t regain their powers, just a chosen few. They took their places around the world, supported by a backroom staff of assistants, researchers, and back up. Spike and I married, and moved here…’

‘And I took up my place as a master of the Auralian line.’ Spike added, fixing himself a mug of something from the fridge, the ping of the microwave breaking into the conversation… ‘and you are supposed to be resting, Buffy, especially if you are determined to go out tonight!’

‘Too right I’m going, Dawn wants a Scoobie night out, dancing, partying and pulling our partners to pieces; you are out anyway, so what’s the problem?’

‘The problem is you are seven and a half months pregnant with twins and are supposed to rest: you know, where you sit, put your feet up and don’t do anything?’ He threw his hands up, and knew he was losing the battle when she pouted at him: that lip should be outlawed ‘Now I’m taking Charles to his music lesson and dropping the rest of the pack off at the mall; Red, you make her rest, please.’ And with that the vampire swept out of the room.

‘Charles?’ Willow asked, watching Buffy pull a face at the departing back

‘My, our, youngest, he’s 6 and loves his piano lessons. I’ve got two other boys, William and Wesley, as well as the girls Tara and Anjenka, and in here,’ she patted her obviously rounded stomach, ‘are Joyce and Anne. We were told that one baby every ten or twenty years would be fortunate and that girls were a double blessing; seems we re-wrote that book as well!’ she laughed and picked up her glass of juice…’ let’s go and sit in the rumpus room: I can put my feet up and we can gossip all afternoon, you can fill me in on your life, and I can tell you all about mine.’ Buffy wrapped an arm around her friend and when Tara looked in after spending the afternoon at the mall damaging her dad’s credit card, the two women were still laughing and joking like old, old friends.

That night saw a very content Willow, surrounded by people who loved her totally, and accepted her for what she was, dancing and partying at the local nightclub. The two vampires on the door had been very respectful when she had arrived, her name on the list that had her escorted by some sort of green skinned demon by the name of Lorne, into the VIP area.

Buffy was already there holding court, and Willow slipped into an empty seat quietly. The band playing were amazing: Dingos Ate My Baby tickets were the hottest in America and to be able to see then was a fantastic treat.

‘I have his poster on my wall,’ Willow said, pointing at Oz the lead singer. Buffy choked on her drink.

‘Well, I guess some things are just meant to be,’ she laughed, ‘we went to college with him, he’ll be delighted to see you again.’ She laughed again as she watched Willow’s face as they were joined at the table by Oz and the rest of the band.

Spike did make an appearance later that night; sweeping Buffy into his arms for a slow dance, he whispered into her ear, ‘all we’ve ever done is dance,’ making her smile up shyly at her husband. ‘Just wait til Saturday,’ he murmured, so that only she could hear him.

‘Why, what happens Saturday?’ She looked up at him in all innocence, running her tongue round her lips, moistening them in such a way he could feel the heat pooling in his groin.

‘I shag you stupid,’ he answered, staring down into her green eyes, curling his tongue behind his teeth, his eyes sparkling and flashing from blue to gold.

‘That’s not what you said first time,’ she frowned.

‘No but it’s what I meant…’he looked back at the table, full of her friends. ‘Not alone any more slayer, not alone.’

‘Nope, and never will be again,’ her eyes were full of laughter as he swept her into his arms and carried her back to her seat, his yellow eyes glowing as he nuzzled her neck and made her purr at him.