Author's Chapter Notes:
Okay the last chapter of the story sorry it took me so long to bang it out, but I finally realized that there wasn’t much else I could do with it without going overboard! Lol so here it is…hope you like it!

Okay the last chapter of the story sorry it took me so long to bang it out, but I finally realized that there wasn’t much else I could do with it without going overboard! Lol so here it is…hope you like it!


Chapter 11: The Not so Traditional Couple

Buffy stood a few feet away from Spike as he sat cross legged in the grass. He was mumbling quietly, as he pull on little pieces of grass. He needed to do this, and after a month and a half of convincing he let up. At first she let Spike know that he could see them by himself, but he was adament that she accompany him.

By the wish of the families, Oz, Lindsey and Devon were all buried side by side. They died together, and that was how they should rest. There was one large tomb with all of their names, date of birth and death carved across the stone. A statement was written below in slightly larger more elegant print. ‘Here lay the proof of true brotherhood’.

Buffy was so caught up in her own thoughts she almost didn’t hear the words Spike said to her. His back was still to her, and his eyes were on the larger stone before him, but his words were directed at her. “I should be laying here with them.” He whispered. “My name is supposed to be on that tombstone.”

Buffy came to sit beside him and wrapped both of her hands around one of his. “But it isn’t. You didn’t die that night, and there is a reason for that. It wasn’t your time…you have so much more to with your life.”

William finally looked at her, and the glare in his eyes only intensified the tears shining in the blue orbs. “And they didn’t? Are you saying that, this was it for them…that death was in the cards for them so early in their lives?” Spike swallowed against the knot in his throat.

Buffy shook her head. “That’s not what I meant.”

Spike pulled his hand out of hers and stood up. “Then say what you do mean.”

Buffy hopped up and looked him in the eyes. “I’m sorry that this happened to your friends…they did nothing to deserve this. But sometimes horrible things like this,” she pointed to the tomb, “are unavoidable. There was a reason why you were the one that went back to the house.” Buffy grabbed his hands again. “It wasn’t your fault, or Devon’s or Lindsey’s or Oz’s….no one but the damn owner of that gas station. That leak should have been fixed and it wasn’t….but it happened. And there’s nothing you or I can do to change that. All you can do is honor their memory, and make the most of your life.” Both Buffy and Spike had tears running down their cheeks.

“I can’t…” he cried. “Not knowing that they should still be here making the most out of their lives.” Spike stepped away from Buffy again. “Do you know how long I pushed this to the back of my head? How hard it was for me to force myself into believing that I was moving on?” he was yelling at her now. Buffy knew he had a lot of anger to get out, and she reluctantly let him take it out on her. “I forced my mind to twist those memories into nothing but dreams! I made myself think that it never happened…that Devon and Lindsey and Oz weren’t even real! Then you came along and you poked and prodded and nagged, and because I love you so God damn much I opened up and made myself feel it, and I think I hate you a little for that!” his words were harsh, and Buffy couldn’t believe that he was the one saying them. She wasn’t nagging him as he said…she just wanted to know him better. And the way he threw the word love at her in the middle of his rant shocked her, almost as much as the antonym he threw at her shortly after.

Buffy never got a chance to say anything before he stormed off, not that she could anyway with the uncontrollable sobs racking her body. She fell to the grass, she felt like her heart was positively breaking. She had no idea what just happened. They were having such a calming and quiet day…then all of a sudden her world was shattered. She had no idea what to think or what to do.

Spike had walked to wherever he was going, thus leaving Buffy the car. Unfortunately he had the keys. She trudged her way around town, aimlessly walking trying to put the pieces together. Spike said he loved her….but he hated her now too. Spike was hurting, and because of her undeniable care for him, she was hurting too. Was this the end or was this just a fight? She could almost feel the thoughts bouncing from side to side like a ping pong ball. She found herself standing in front of the diner her and Spike went to the night they met. It was nearly empty except for the one person sitting in the back of the diner. A coffee cup sat on the table and so did a plate of food.

Buffy decided to go in and hopefully start up a conversation. She slowly made her way to the table and smiled awkwardly at its occupant. “Hey…do you mind if I sit with you?”

The red head smiled brightly. “Hey Buffy…of course. Not a fan of eating alone anyway.” She chuckled. “How are you? I haven’t seen you guys in a while?” Willow popped a fry in her mouth.

‘You guys’…are we still ‘you guys’? “Um, I don’t know to be honest…it’s been a weird day.” Buffy looked down at her hands that rested on the linen-covered table.

Willow frowned. “Is everything okay? Where’s Spike?” she looked around as if she expected him to be not far from the blonde. It was unusual to see them apart nowadays.

Buffy merely shrugged helplessly. “We got into a fight. We went to go see the band today.”

Willow looked shocked. Spike had refused to go for so long; she never thought that he would. Hearing that he did in fact go to see his band mates after all this time pulled on a heartstring. He’s making progress. she thought to herself. “That’s good! He must be getting better then.”

Buffy shook her head. “No I don’t think so…that’s what our fight was about.” Buffy continued on at the red head’s prompt, and told her the events of the day. “Now I just don’t know what to do. He said all these things and I know he’s angry but I just wanted to help, you know?” a tear slipped down her cheek and she quickly wiped it away. “I’m glad you’re here…I just needed someone to talk to.”

Willow patted her hand across the table. “I’m glad I was here for you too. I could only imagine. But William has his way of dealing with things…it may not always be the right way, but he tries. Give him some time and he’ll come around.” She smiled encouragingly. Willow knew that Spike could be in a funk for a while, but she wanted Buffy to know that eventually he would move on from it.

“I know…I just want to help him with this. I didn’t mean to bring up all these ugly memories and all this pain back. I shouldn’t have pushed so hard…I shouldn’t have forced-” Willow cut off Buffy’s words.

“You didn’t force him to do anything. I know William, Buff. He wouldn’t let anyone force him to do anything. He did it because he wanted to. He loves you Buffy…you know that right?” Wills cocked her head to the side in question.

Buffy sighed. “I don’t know anymore. He told me that he opened up to me because he loved me so much…” Buffy saw Willow smile and her eyes light up. “He followed that with ‘and I think I hate you a little for that’.” Buffy dug her fingers through her hair. “I don’t know what to do. Should I just let him deal with this his own way…do I go and find him; try to work things out?” Buffy asked her eyes wild and full of question.

Willow smiled sadly. “Buffy I wish I knew what to say. Spike has a lot of baggage to carry. He lost three of his friends in one night…this may be something that’s gonna pop up from time to time. He’ll need you to support him, to let him know that you’ll be there no matter what.” Willow put her hand over Buffy’s on the table. “You’re the best thing that ever happened to him…I’ve been his friend for years and I’ve never seen him this happy. Don’t let him push you away, okay?”

The blonde sighed and smiled. “Okay…I’m gonna go find him.” She stood up and Willow stood up with her. After sharing a hug Buffy rushed out the door, and in the direction of home.

Buffy ran the whole way home hoping he’d be there, holding flowing skirt up as to not trip…and thanking God that she was wearing her flats. When she got to the front of the driveway, she saw him sitting on the porch swing with his head down, and elbows resting on his knees. Panting, Buffy made her way up to the porch, and went down on her knees in front of him. She reached for his cheek only for him to pull away. He wouldn’t even look at her. The blonde couldn’t stop the tears from falling.

“I’m so sorry, William. Please don’t be mad at me.” She pleaded. He didn’t say anything. “I shouldn’t have pushed you the way I did…I just wanted to be there for you.” Her voice cracked with emotion. “Please don’t do this…don’t shut me out, baby.” She put her hand on his cheek again, but this time he didn’t pull away. “I know this is hard for you,” he chuckled bitterly. “But I’m here to support you. I get that its painful and-and sometime you just want to forget that it ever happened, but it did, and you can’t change that…you can’t change the past, and you can’t blame yourself for something you had no control over.” She saw Spike’s eyes soften.

“I’m sorry.” He murmured.

Buffy shook her head. “You have nothing to be sorry for.”

Spike nodded his head. “Yes I do Buffy…” he shook his head at himself. “The first time I tell you I love you and I say it in spite. I didn’t mean it to hurt you, pet. I do mean it…but I never wanted to say it like that.” He locked eyes with hers and reached down to place his hand on her soft neck, his thumb rubbing away the moist tears that fell there. “That’s why I took off, because I was so mad at myself for blurting it out like that, for putting that broken look on your face.” He pulled her off the ground and sat her in his lap. He guided her forehead to rest on his and kissed her softly. “I love you, Buffy. So much that it scares me. I’ve never felt love like this before, pet. It rocks my soul.” He told her through tears, and he held her closer as she sobbed.

“I love you too, William.” She whispered into his neck. “And I’m scared too…scared that I’m gonna lose you somehow.”

“No.” Spike said with conviction. “You won’t lose me, I promise.” He kissed her temple. “This isn’t going to be easy…but I wouldn’t be able to do it without you by my side.” His hands framed her face as he wiped away her tears. “Let’s go inside okay.” He cradled her in his arms like a child and crossed the threshold to her house. He silently brought her upstairs and laid her in bed, taking off her shoes before doing the same for himself. He crawled up beside her, and let her burrow her head in his chest.

He frowned as Buffy swiftly fell asleep in his arms. He hurt her today. He made her cry, made her worry. He never, ever wanted to do that again. Spike mentally kicked himself for throwing his love for her in her face, and putting that shocked and broken look there as well. Spike brushed a lock of hair way from her face with the back of his hand. He closed his eyes, and held her closer promising himself that he would never hurt her again.


Six Months Later:

Buffy sat there looking at Spike with hard eyes. There was no smile on her face and she kept her breathing even and slow. This was getting too hard. She could never win with him…he would always do something that would make her falter. But she couldn’t falter this time…she wouldn’t. This had been going on for far too long now and it needed to stop.

Buffy’s nostrils flared and the next thing she knew Spike closed his eyes and started chuckling. “Yes! Ha…I win, I win, I win!” she sing-songed. She jumped up and did a little dance. “Finally I beat you at this silly game.” She looked at her watch and raised a brow. “Hm, eight minutes and twenty-seven seconds, my best time yet.” She kissed him softly and collapsed next to him on the couch.

“I’ll get you again next time.” He poked her side and kissed her neck as she giggled.

Buffy laughed and glanced at the blank TV. “It’s not until you lose power that you realize just how much we rely on the TV.” She pouted.

Spike smirked and turned his head to her. “I can think of a few other ways to bide our time.” He raised his brows as she looked at him in mock shock.

She leaned in, her lips barely touching his. “You’re gonna have to catch me first.” She took off up the stairs and felt Spike grab her from behind once she reached the top of the stairs. He lifted her off the ground and carried her as she squealed throwing her on the bed and jumping on with her.

“Caught ya…now what?” Spike hovered over her, smiling at the way her hair fanned out on the pillow.

“Now you get to have me.” She replied softly.

He squinted at her. “I thought I already had you.” She smiled prettily. “I love you, you know.”

“Oh I know…you show me all the time.” She laughed. He was always telling her and showing her his affections.

Spike’s swung to the pillow beside her and quirked his mouth. “Yeah, but not nearly enough.” She furrowed her brow as if to say ‘you’re joking right?’ He continued. “I say it with little things like making you breakfast or getting you the things you want.” He trailed off.

Buffy looked at him like he was crazy. She grabbed him face in her delicate hands. “You show me in so many more ways than that. I see it in the way you say my name, or the way you look at me. You show me you love me in everything you do…”

He fell to her side and looked up at the ceiling. “I should make a grand gesture.” He continued as if she never said anything. “Something big…something you’ll never forget.”

Buffy sighed and turned towards him, resting her hand on his chest. “I don’t need you to make any grand gestures. I don’t need anything big…” Spike smirked. “Well except for that.” She giggled.

Spike sighed as he reached into his pocket. “You might want to rethink that statement.”

Buffy frowned in confusion. “Huh?”

Spike held the silver band hugging the big sapphire stone and two diamonds between his fingers. “Is that too big for ya?” he teased.

She gasped and darted up, her eyes as big as a child’s. “Oh my God, Spike!” she smack his chest. “I can’t believe you! It’s beautiful.” She stared down at him lovingly placing a soft and long kiss on his lips.

He smiled against her lips. She was so cute when she was clueless. She thought it was a gift. “So is that a yes then?” he teased.

“Yes to what?” she inquired.

“Grand gesture…something you’ll never forget?” he prodded.

All she did was smirk back. Then it dawned on him. Oh she new what this was…she was just gonna make him say it first.

“Buffy…” He drawled. “This is a proposal. This is me proposing…asking you to marry me, you know…to be my wife.” He stated with a smile.

They weren’t a very traditionally couple, and they liked to do things differently. Most women would appreciate a traditional proposal with the bended knee and the long ‘this is how much and how long I’ve loved you for’ speech. Buffy found it clichéd and gag-worthy and Spike was romantic but not cheesy. So when Spike showed her the ring she knew it was more than a gift.

Buffy cocked her head to the side and looked up as if she were thinking about it. Then she jumped on top of him, peppering kisses all over his face neck and chest saying ‘yes’ the whole time.

He laughed at her enthusiasm. “Good…cause I wasn’t going to take no for an answer anyway.” He slipped it on her ring finger on her left hand as she straddled his waist. She dropped it onto his chest as if it were too heavy then smiled and kissed him again.

“I love you.” She mouthed.

“I love you too.” He whispered back.

Then all the lights started to flicker back on, the TV downstairs on way too loud. Buffy reached for the phone instantly from the nightstand still on top of Spike.

“I’m sorry…I’ve just gotta call everyone I know, right now!” she dialed Cordy first. “Hey! So you’ll never believe what happened to me today…besides that. I’m engaged!” she paused and frowned. “No to some hillbilly named Earl, yes Spike!” she kissed him again and hopped off to do that wandering/pacing thing she did when she was on the phone.

He locked his arms behind his head and watched his fiancée talk animatedly to her friend. He loved everything about her.

Buffy scrunched her nose. “Ew, I wouldn’t let any of my bridesmaids be caught dead in that color.” He loved that nose. She laughed and her mouth parts and her eyes turned into moonlit crescents. He loved those eyes. “Sorry Cordy, I can’t talk long…I got a fiancée to get back to.” She squealed and Spike could hear Cordy squeal on the line. “That sounds so cool, kay I gotta go…we’ll do lunch tomorrow.” She hung up and threw herself back on the bed.

They spent the rest of the evening celebrating.


Author’s Note: Okay so there’s the end I’m glad I finally finished it, I’ve been so busy that I neglected this story and my others. I hope you like it and please review and tell me what you thought.


Chapter End Notes:
Author’s Note: Okay so there’s the end I’m glad I finally finished it, I’ve been so busy that I neglected this story and my others. I hope you like it and please review and tell me what you thought.