Author's Chapter Notes:
second chappie!
Chapter 2: In My Prime Part II

Buffy felt her self bump into a hard chest, and would have fallen over, if the arms of the strong chest didn’t steady her by her shoulders.

“Oh God. I’m so sorry. Are you okay?” the concerned voice asked.

Buffy looked up at the man’s face, and had to stop her jaw from dropping. The chiseled features of this man reminded her of a Greek god. He was dressed all in black: Black Doc Martins, tight black jeans, and a black beater that showed off his toned, muscular arms-which were still holding her by the way. He had bleach blonde hair that was slicked back perfectly.

“Oh yeah. I’m just being a klutz…wasn’t exactly watching where I was going. You okay?” Buffy tried hard to refrain from smacking herself in the head for her stupidity.

“I’m fine.” He responded with a chuckle. “It’s not everyday I have a beautiful woman bump into me.” Spike noticed the slight blush that crept up her cheeks, and smiled as she ducked her head. Finally letting go of her, Spike extended a hand. “My name’s Spike.”

“Buffy.” She shook his hand and a smirk grew on her face. “That must be in the family cause I, personally, have never seen it in the big book of baby names.” Buffy concluded with a laugh.

“It’s a nickname.” He told her with a smile. “When I was in high school, I was kind of a bad ass.” Spike admitted. “The name just went with the image.”

“So Spike…are you gunna tell me your real name?” Buffy asked flirtatiously.

“In time, pet. Don’t know if I can trust you with that information yet.” Spike replied back, his trademark smirk in place. “So, do you wanna get outta here? Get some food or something?”

At Buffy’s hesitance he continued. “Please don’t tell me you’re here with some big brawly football star, that’s gunna beat me up as soon as he sees me talking to you.” Spike asked coolly, but hoping to God that she was here alone.

Buffy chuckled, as a stunning smile lit up her face.

“No but a sexy brunette cheerleader will, if she doesn’t get any answers soon.” Cordelia claimed, materializing beside Buffy.

“Spike, this is my friend Cordelia. Cordy this is Spike.” Buffy introduced the two, as she shook hands.

“Anyways I didn’t mean to interrupt. I just wanted to tell you that I’m leaving with that guy…I’ll call you later okay? Have fun.” She winked at Buffy then turned to Spike. “Oh and let’s just get one thing straight: You hurt my friend in any way…I’ll castrate you, okay? Bye guys!” The brunette said with a sweet innocent voice that contradicted her words.

“Wow. That’s…very scary actually.” Spike commented thoughtfully.

“Sorry about that. She’s kinda protective over me. I just got out of a messy break-up.” Buffy admitted shyly.

“Oh, I’m sorry to hear that.” He said with a slight smile.

“No you’re not.” Buffy said noticing the smile, and the twinkle in his piercing blue eyes.

“You’re right, I’m not. Because if you hadn’t broken up with this guy, chances are you wouldn’t be here tonight, and I wouldn’t have met you.” Spike concluded with a wolfish grin that made Buffy feel like a schoolgirl again.

When the two got to the small diner, they started talking about their past high school experiences.

“…and it was absolutely horrible. I mean I didn’t mean to burn down the school gym, it just kinda happened.” Buffy finished with a nervous laugh.

Spike laughed along with her. Thinking about high school brought up another issue. “How old are you, anyway?” Buffy asked, playing with her napkin.

“I’m 23.” He answered.

Buffy’s eyes widened, and her jaw dropped. “Oh God…oh God, I shouldn’t be here. I’m really sorry I have to go.” Buffy got up and left before Spike could even get a word in.

She had already made it to the street by the time Spike had snapped out of his shocked state and went after her.

“Wait, Buffy!” Spike grabbed her hand before she could cross the street, and pulled her back onto the sidewalk. “Can you stop for a moment and explain things for me…please?” Spike pleaded with hurt eyes.

Buffy sighed and turned to him. “I’m 36.” At his disbelieving look, she continued. “Yeah…and that messy ‘break-up’ was a messy divorce. Look, you’re a great guy, really, but you’re too young for me.” Buffy insisted reluctantly. She really liked this one, and she was hoping that maybe something really good could turn up of it. He would’ve made great babies look at those cheekbones. She thought to herself sadly.

Spike looked hesitant at first, taking everything in, he then shook it off and looked at her determinately. “What ever happened to that phrase ‘Age is just a number’? And anyway it’s not like we’re that many years apart.”

“Please…you’re a child.” Buffy said playful and light tone, even though she was serious.

“And you’re being very childish!” Spike claimed determined to prove to her that their age difference was okay.

“Excuse me?”

“Well you are…‘Eww…younger boys are icky.’” Spike demonstrated in a high pitch voice mocking her.

“I never said you were icky. You are definitely not icky.” She corrected causing Spike to smile. “It’s just-I don’t want to-” Buffy stopped herself, took a deep breath and then let it out. “It makes me feel old. There is a thirteen-year gap between our ages. That means that when I was 23 your were 10!” Buffy exclaimed reluctantly. It sucked…all the guys around her age were either assholes, married, or she didn’t find them attractive. Now finally she meets someone who is a complete honey with a side order of bad-boy, very single, and absolutely gorgeous-and yet he’s the one that happens to be too young for her. Damn the Powers That Be for punishing her so cruelly.


Chapter End Notes:
please review! Sorry about where i left it. I wrote this story without breaking it into chapters so i'm tryna find places to cut it...sorry