Author's Chapter Notes:
thank you for your reviews! they are my muse...so keep them coming!
Chapter 4: Feeling More Alive


“You what?!” Cordy exclaimed. “You’re going to see him again? He’s a baby!” Buffy pulled the phone away from her ear when the brunette shrieked.

“I know that’s what I said. I mean sure he’s young, but he’s more mature than he seems.” Buffy glanced down at her watch. “Oh…I got to go I’m heading up to Joyce’s office. We’ll talk later.” Without giving her friend the chance to say anything, the blonde hung up and took the elevator up to her Psychologist’s office.

With a knock, Buffy stepped in noticing Joyce was on the phone. The older woman waved her in and gestured her to have a seat in her usual spot.

“Well, I don’t want your stuff staying there forever.” There was a pause and Joyce smiled at the woman in front of her. ‘My son.’ She mouthed. “Well I’m happy that you met someone but what about that Harmonica person? Really! I mean…I’m very sorry to hear that, sweetie. Okay, well I have to get back to work alright, stop by the house tonight and pick up your stuff, please. I’m tired of seeing it strewn about my place. Alright…Bye.” Joyce hung up the phone, and took a deep breath. “Sorry about that, it was my son. Thinks he can leave all of his junk at my house, and expects me to be okay with it.” She chucked. Joyce walked around her desk and sat in the comfy chair across from Buffy. Both women slipped off their shoes and made themselves comfortable. “So anything new and exciting you want to tell me about?”

After a moment, Buffy’s mind led her to thoughts of Spike. Her face lit up. “Yes actually. One of the next steps in getting over Liam. I met this guy the other night at the pub, a real honey, totally smitten by me…” Buffy trailed off.

Joyce smiled, happy to see her friend and patient finally finding some bliss in her life. “And…is he fitting the description of the ‘Boyfriend of Buffy’ role?” Joyce tucked her feet under herself on the couch chair.

“Well…that’s the thing, Joyce. He’s younger than me.” Buffy stated glumly.

Joyce laughed loudly, a full out belly laugh. “So what’s the problem? Maybe that’s exactly what you need; someone that will make you feel younger…more alive. Plus a few years isn’t much of a difference, more women today are going after the younger man. It’s perfectly normal.”

“But that’s the thing…it’s not just a few years between us. Try over ten.” Buffy cringed worried what the woman that quickly became an almost mother figure in her life would think of her choices. “And it’s not a problem with him at all!” Buffy continued to ramble. “He thinks it’s great and he can read me like no one has, and he’s into writing and poetry which is so cool, and despite the fact that I’m in my thirty’s he makes me feel like a giddy teenage girl again, and that’s scary and I know I’m rambling so please stop me before I pass out-” Buffy rushed out all in one breath.

Joyce cut her off. “Okay, listen Buffy. Give it a shot…see how things go, and if things don’t work out then so be it and if it does, great! But I don’t think you should give up on something unless you’ve really given a shot at it.” Buffy nodded her head, and the two continued to talk until her time was up.

As Buffy was leaving the building she whipped out her cell phone and gave Spike a ring.

“’Ello?” he answered.

“Hey, Spike its Buffy.”

“Hey Buffy, I was just thinking about you.” Spike smiled brightly when he heard her voice. His bad day just got extremely good.

Buffy blushed at his words, and forced herself to reply. “Yeah I was thinking about you too…I was wondering if maybe you wanted to meet up tonight? For a drink or something?” she asked. Why did she get a collection of butterflies in her stomach as soon as she heard his voice? Because you like the guy…too much for your own good. her voice of reason told her.

“I would love to, but I have to go to my parent’s house tonight. Can we maybe meet up afterwards?” Spike asked her hoping she would say that was fine.

Buffy’s shoulders and heart dropped when Spike said he was gonna be with his parent’s tonight. But a smile grew on her face as he asked his question nervously. “Yeah, sure!” she said a little too enthusiastically. “That would be great, just give me a call when you’re done and we can meet at Kelly’s Pub.”

“Perfect. I’ll give you a call later, pet.” Both hung up the phone with great big smiles on their faces, and continued on with their day, happier than before.

* * * * *
“So, William…tell me all about this girl!” the woman took away the last plate of food on the table that was in front of her son.

“Well, she’s absolutely gorgeous. She’s smart, and funny. And mum, she loves poetry. But she’s-”

The phone rang.

Spike’s mother jumped up from her seat. “Hold that thought, it’s my work phone.” He watched as she traveled into the den. “Hello?”

“Oh hi dear…yes you want to reschedule…” her voice faded, and Spike turned to his father.

“Well, you should invite the girl over here for dinner…tomorrow maybe?” his father suggested. “What is her name by the way?”

Spike smiled brightly and perked up. “Her name is-”

“Sorry about that, sweetie. Just a client.” Spike’s mother strolled back into the living room.

“That’s alright, mum. But uh…I should get outta here. I’m suppose to be meeting up with her at Kelly’s tonight.” Spike explained as he got out of his seat. “Dinner was great, mum thanks.” He briskly brought her into a hug and kissed her on the cheek. “Bye da.” He gave him a manly hug and was out the door shouting. “I’ll bright her by tomorrow for dinner.”

Joyce turned to Rupert. “Well he seems happy. We don’t even know her name.”

Rupert nodded along, then glanced back to the garage. “He didn’t grab any of his equipment, Joyce.” Her husband claimed deadpanned.

“Damn it! Well he’ll be here tomorrow…and then we can meet the mystery girl that has him like a giddy school boy again.” Joyce giggled to herself.


Chapter End Notes:
hoped you enjoyed this chapter...