Author's Chapter Notes:
hello i'm back for another chapter...hope you like it!
Chapter 8: This Is Kinda Awkward

This next morning, Angel crawled out of bed at noon to find Buffy downstairs making him breakfast. He grimaced.

She turned around when she heard him come in. “Hey! I made breakfast…you hungry?”

He looked over her shoulder at the burnt, hard pancakes in the pan. “Not anymore.” He didn’t mean to be mean…but Buffy’s cooking sucked. He always did the cooking when they were together.

Buffy pouted. “Hey…I tried okay! I thought you’d want to wake up to a nice yummy breakfast.” She plopped herself down on the stool and let Angel take over. He dumped to old pancakes and started working on a new batch. Buffy noticed how he kind of fell into the routine and hated that she would eventually have to ask him about what his plans were with his mother.

Angel frowned. “How the hell have you been surviving, Buff? You know just as well as I do that you’re food isn’t edible.” He chuckled.

Buffy smiled. “Take out…or Spike cooks.”

“Spike?” He questioned.

“It’s his nickname.”

Angel turned to her. “Why don’t you invite him over today? I’d like to apologize to him; I kind of stole you from him late night.” Angel went about flipping the pancakes and placing a couple on her plate.

She got up to grab the syrup and butter from the fridge. “You don’t think that would be a little, I don’t know, awkward?” Buffy asked looking at her ex husband as she sat back down.

Angel turned around to face her, and leaned against the counter. “I might be…but I have to meet this guy eventually, right? I have to approve first.” He said pointing to himself. He was taking this awfully well, and Buffy couldn’t help but think that he was using Spike as a distraction.

Buffy poured her syrup on her pancakes, and didn’t look up at him as she spoke softly. “What are you going to do about your mother, Liam?”

Angel right away stiffened and straightened up, turning around to the pancakes again. “I’ll deal with it.” His voice was cold and void of any emotion.

Buffy sighed, and put down her fork. “Liam you can ignore what’s happening. I know that seems like the easiest thing to do right now, but it’s not the best choice. If you need help with arranging the funeral-”

Angel slammed the spatula down on the counter, making Buffy jump in her seat. He turned his head to the side, looking at her from the counter of his eye. “I said I’d deal with it.” He said tersely. Buffy nodded and took a deep breath. It was silent for a long time. After a solid ten minutes, Buffy was still playing with her food and Angel turned around to face her, his shoulders slumped. “I’m sorry…this is just a bit much right now. I know what I have to do, but right now I just need to not think about it okay? Can you help me do that?”

“Of course.” Buffy came around the island, and gave him a hug.

* * * * *

Five hours later, Buffy found herself having dinner with Angel and Spike. Spike was trying not to show that he was really uncomfortable sitting across from his current girlfriend’s ex husband. At first it was quiet and full of tension until Buffy finally broke the ice.

“Well this isn’t awkward in anyway…” she said sarcastically.

Angel sighed. “She’s right…You know I’m not here to grill you. I actually wanted to apologize, for barging in on you guys like I did. I kinda stole her away from you.” He chuckled out nervously.

Spike finally spoke up. “No, it was totally understandable. You needed her more than I did.” He paused. “I’m really sorry to hear about you’re mother.”

Angel smiled warmly to the other man. “Thank you…I was a pretty big mess last night. Buffy calmed me down though.” He looked at her, right beside Spike, with kind eyes.

Spike looked at her and grinned, the tips of his fingers playing with the ends of golden locks. “Yeah…she’s good at that.” They shared a moment, looking sweetly at each other. And instead of Angel turning his head away, not being able to witness her loving gaze on another man…he watched with a smile of his own. She was happy. And he was happy that she was happy. It had been a long time since she looked at him like that, and he was thankful that she moved on, as he had. Last night was a moment of weakness; seeking comfort in someone he was comfortable, and familiar with.


After the plates were cleared off the table and everything was cleaned up, the three of them went into the living room to have some drinks. The conversation carried on comfortably, and Spike and Angel seemed to be getting along okay. Angel did make a statement saying that if he did hurt Buffy then Angel would have something to say or do about it. They both laughed it off, and Buffy was happy to see that the two most important men in her life were making progress.

Once it was about nine o’clock, Angel decided it was time to go. He grabbed his sweatpants from upstairs; leaving nothing behind this time, grabbed his coat and headed towards the door. Spike and Angel said goodbye, shaking hands, and Buffy walked him out.

The two of them stood out on the porch, silent for a moment. They enjoyed the cool air and the night sky. Angel turned to her. “I like him, Buffy. He seems like a really great guy. He’s definitely smitten with you.” He gave his blessing.

Buffy grinned. “Yeah I’m pretty smitten too. He has me acting like a teenager again, having fun, enjoying the things life has to offer instead of going through the motions. It feels good, Angel.” She paused, and then punched him lightly. “Hey, maybe you should go find yourself a twenty-something…then we could compare notes.” She said with an excited tone, and the two laughed together.

“What would a twenty-something want with me? Cause we know it’s not my dashing good looks.” He joked.

Buffy played along. “Oh, well just make sure that you wallet has a bulge and you should be just fine.” She turned serious again. “It was really good to see you Angel…I wish it had been on better circumstances, but you should show your face around here more often.”

Angel nodded. “I will.” He took her in his arms and gave her a tight hug. “I-I….I’ll call you to let you know about the funeral. You’ll come right?” his voice was tight with emotion.

Buffy rubbed his back. “It’s not even a question. You know I’ll be there.” They pulled away from each other.

“Spike is more than welcome to come as well. He’s good people.” He held her face in his hands. “Don’t be afraid to fall in love again, Precious.” He said sweetly, using his old nickname for her. He kissed her on the forehead, smiled and then turned to leave.

After he walked down the stairs he turned back to her. “Oh, and Buff…” when she turned back from the door to look at him he smirked. “Don’t make him wait as long as I did to say you love him…you’ll give the poor boy a broken ego.”

“I won’t.” Buffy smiled and waved him off before going back inside. She saw Spike sitting on the couch drinking another rum and coke. She went and cuddled up with him, and let him put wrap him arms around her. “So you passed.” She looked up at her boyfriend. “Angel likes you, thinks you’re a keeper.”

Spike ran his fingers through her hair. “Hm…I didn’t even have to take the written.” He joked. “Good, I’m glad…I like him too.”

Buffy smirked. “Maybe you should have married him.” They laughed. “He invited you to come to the funeral, too.” She drew little patterns on his chest with her finger.

Spike sighed. “I don’t need to be there for that, pet. I’d feel weird going to the funeral of a woman I never knew…plus you’re going to need to be there for him. I don’t want to be in the way.” Spike concluded.

Buffy frowned. “Well you wouldn’t be getting in the way, but if you don’t want to go that’s fine. I’m sure he’ll understand…it’s a pretty weird place for a first date.” She shrieked when Spike started tickling her. “Okay, okay…I give!”

When he stopped he weaved his fingers through her hair at the back of her head, and pulled her in for a deep passionate kiss. After what felt like hours past, Spike pulled away with their lips still touching. “Bedroom?”

Buffy was still in a daze. “Uh…yeah.” He picked her up and she wrapped her legs around his waist as he continued to kiss her making his way up the stairs and into Buffy’s bedroom.

He walked through the doorway, and slammed it closed with his foot.


Chapter End Notes:
thanks for reading...any comments?