May 1994
Harmony Kendall’s 13th Birthday Party
Kendall Manor | London, England

Buffy continued to run blindly thru the labyrinth gardens on the Kendall estate. Finally she came to rest at a bench in the middle of the garden.

I don’t understand what I could have possibly done for them to treat me this way. Buffy’s thoughts were running a mile a minute. It seems that I am always the butt of a cruel joke.

As Buffy continued to be deep in her thoughts, she was too preoccupied to hear anyone walk up.

“Here you go,” said the voice as a handkerchief was waved in front of her face.

Buffy looked up and into the most cerulean blue eyes she had ever seen.

Eighteen years-old William Giles was standing with Drusilla, his girlfriend of two years when the spectacle began. Although he did not intervene to put a stop to the taunting of the other kids to Buffy, the poet in him felt bad for the girl. Under long lashes, William; or Spike as Drusilla named him, watched as Buffy ran from the room and headed into the gardens.

“I’ll be back, my dark princess;” Spike said to Drusilla.
“Yes, go and comfort Sunshine,” cooed Dru.

So here he was, standing in front of a sobbing 13 year-old waving his handkerchief in her face.

“Thank you,” sniffled Buffy.

“May I sit down for a second?”

Buffy simply nodded her head. They sat silently for a couple of minutes with only Buffy’s sniffles breaking the silence.

Not knowing how to start, Spike just jumped right in “I’m William, but my friends call me Spike.

“I’m Buffy,”

“So I heard in the other room,” replied Spike. “You shouldn’t take it personal.”

Buffy just gave Spike a blank stare.

“I mean, sometimes it is easier to make fun of something or someone that they do not understand. I am not condoning their actions, but you have to look at it from their view.”

“Look at it from their view,” scoffed Buffy. “’Don’t take it personal’? Is your explanation on how they acted supposed to make me understand why they all chose to hurt me? Make me feel better? So what now? Should I go back in to the party smiling and let them all continue to insult me?” Buffy’s emerald eyes shone brilliantly with anger.

“No, that’s not what I am saying at all,” Spike replied. “I guess I don’t know what I am trying to say, obviously it is the wrong thing.”

“Obviously,” muttered Buffy.

“Look, I saw you were upset and I wanted to see if there was anything I could do to help. I am sorry to have bothered you,” Spike stated as he got up to leave.

“Wait.”

Spike turned around and looked at Buffy. Buffy did not say anything for a couple of minutes.

“Well, what is it?”

“There is a way you can help me,” stated Buffy. “Could you help me with getting a cab home, Spike? I don’t want to be here anymore.” Buffy looked up at Spike.

“I will even do you one better and have my driver take you home.”

As Spike walked Buffy to the front of the house, they chatted about safe topics like the weather and if England had a chance for the World Cup this year. Both never realized as they continued their walk that four people were watching them.

Spike provided strict instructions to his driver and made sure Buffy was comfortable in the backseat.

“Well, you should be on your way.”

“Thank you, Spike. I really appreciate this. I’m sorry about earlier. I was upset and I took it out on you.”

“Hey, I understand. Just continue to be yourself. People will always notice the one who stands out from the crowd, rather than those that follow along, like sheep.”

As Buffy stared at Spike, she felt a connection to him, like a kindred spirit.

Buffy blinked breaking the trance between herself and Spike. “Thanks again.”

“Good-bye, Buffy”

As Spike watched the car drive away, he couldn’t help but wonder will I ever see her again?

As Spike entered the ballroom, Angel walked up to him.

“So, what was that all about?” asked Angel.

“What are you talking about, mate?”

“I’m talking about you and Puffy Buffy,” replied Angel.

“Angel, if you know what is good for you, you won’t ever call her that again,” growled Spike.

"So what, you felt charitable and needed to do your good deed for the day?"

"What I do is my business," replied Spike. "If I want to make sure a person is okay because she is being bullied by a bunch of sheep that only have money and title going for them and nothing else, then that is my business."

At Spike's outburst, the room suddenly grew quiet.

"Yes, I said it. I hope you all are proud of yourselves," as Spike looked around the room. He made a point at staring particularly hard at the individuals that cause Buffy the most distress.

No one could help but look ashamed of their actions. Well, maybe with the exception of 3 individuals.

Although he did not agree with Spike's statement, Angel knew better than to cross him. Realizing it was in his best interest, Angel simply walked away from Spike.

“My Spike is tainted by the Sunshine,” whined Dru. “I must not let him be burned by its rays.”

“Could she be any weirder,” Cordelia whispered to Harmony as they overheard Dru’s statements.

Dru walked up to Spike and kissed him with an abundance of passion.

“My parents are in Ibiza this weekend. We have the house to ourselves. We can play at being old marrieds, if you like. We can do all sorts of naughty things. Mummy will make sure you enjoy it.”

Spike held his dark princess closer. “I would like that a lot. We have to wait until my driver returns before we get out of here. In the meantime...” Spike trailed off as he lead Dru out to the gardens for some alone time.

Dru simply nodded her head thinking to herself: Tonight, I will make you forget all about the Sunshine.

tbc