Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the delay, was going to update sooner. But RL has been crazy lately. Nothing bad, just a lot. Hoping to be able to finish this story soon.
Photobucket



The weeks went by quietly – not to mention quickly – for Buffy and William, and it seemed like Drusilla had actually decided to leave them alone. Although William was partly relieved, he still wasn’t able to completely let it go and relax. He found it a bit hard to believe that she had suddenly changed her mind, just like that, but since he didn’t want Buffy to worry, he kept his suspicions to himself.

A part of him still wondered how it would affect his relationship with Buffy, should he turn out to be the father of Drusilla’s child. But he preferred not thinking so far ahead. Deep down, he knew he was being selfish; sooner or later, he would have to stop living in denial and face the facts. But to tell the truth, the whole situation felt somewhat unreal to him.

He figured that on some level, he still hoped it would all turn out to be some kind of misunderstanding; that Drusilla wasn’t really pregnant after all. But then came the day when she called him to let him know she had an appointment for her first ultrasound, asking him to come along, and he realized he couldn’t keep lying to himself any longer. It was really happening. And from that day, things started to change.

Buffy – as always – was being supportive, offering to come as well. William almost accepted her offer, but realized it wouldn’t be fair to her. Not that he didn’t want her to be there, but it didn’t seem right to put her in such an awkward position. Hell, he was uncomfortable with the whole thing; he could only imagine how Buffy would feel.

From the moment he arrived at the hospital, Liam kept glaring at him, clearly annoyed by his presence, but William ignored him. Drusilla was lying on her back as the doctor moved the probe over her slightly rounded belly. Watching the monitor screen in fascination, William’s eyes widened as the doctor pointed out the fetus.

Seeing his reaction, Liam quickly took a step closer to Drusilla. William suppressed the urge to roll his eyes at the other man’s possessive behavior. Gently wiping away the conducting gel from Drusilla’s abdomen, the female doctor watched the two men with a sympathetic look on her face as she spoke up; “I realize this must be a strange situation for all three of you.”

“Just don’t see why he has to be here,” Liam muttered with a nod in William’s direction as Drusilla pulled her shirt back down and sat up.

The doctor opened her mouth to say something, but Drusilla cut her off, her expression unreadable; “I don’t feel very good, Angel. I want to go home.”

Liam immediately forgot all about William and nodded in agreement. “Whatever you want, baby.” He reached out his hand towards her, but she stepped past him, ignoring the hurt look on his face.

The doctor was talking again, but William had stopped listening. There really was a tiny little person growing inside Drusilla, possibly a part of him. It didn’t change the way he felt about her, but he was suddenly able to see things from a different perspective. The baby had not asked to be brought into this world. Yet, here it was, completely helpless and innocent.

All of the sudden, he couldn’t wait to get back home to Buffy and tell her. For some reason, he felt like a huge weight had lifted from his shoulders. The birth of this child – whether or not it would turn out to be his – would not change anything between him and Buffy. They would be okay. As long as he believed that, as long as he and Buffy truly loved each other, they had nothing to worry about.

It was time to stop dreading the day when the truth about the fatherhood would be known, time to stop looking at Drusilla’s pregnancy as a burden. After all, the birth of a child was nothing less than a miracle. One day, he and Buffy would hopefully have children of their own. But that didn’t mean he couldn’t love this kid as well. As long as he had helped bringing it here.


~ ~ ~


“What’s wrong, Dru? You haven’t said a word since we left the hospital.” Liam didn’t want to admit that he was brooding. Over the last couple of weeks, he and Drusilla had found their way back together, and lately, things had seemed to be better than ever between them. At least, as far as he was concerned.

She had finally seemed to forgiven him for his little mistake with Darla, all those months ago, and more importantly, she had also appeared to be over her disturbing obsession with William. For some reason, she had seemed a little uncomfortable discussing her pregnancy, but then again, given the circumstances, he couldn’t really blame her.

However, Liam had brought up the subject, wanting to make it clear to her that – no matter what happened – he wanted to be the one to raise the child with her. And she hadn’t objected. Deep down, he had fully believed himself to be the father; that – like he had told William – she had already been pregnant before they got together.

Unfortunately, he had turned out to be wrong. The doctor had been able to determine a likely date for the fertilization, and Liam was forced to admit that he couldn’t possibly be the father after all. He wasn’t sure of just how many other guys Drusilla had been with beside William, and to tell the truth, he didn’t really wanna know. He also realized that he was in no position to play judge.

Drusilla avoided his eyes, struggling to keep the panic from welling up inside her. She needed to get an appointment for having the abortion as soon as possible, before it would be too late and she would have to give birth to the child after all. But listening to the heartbeats on the monitor had made the situation so much more real; something she hadn’t counted on.

She had a life growing inside of her, and she got to decide whether or not that life should be allowed to keep existing. For some reason, it didn’t seem right. Who gave her the right to play God? Suddenly, her longing for revenge seemed so petty. But at the same time, she didn’t want this pregnancy to carry on. She didn’t like the way her body was changing, and she felt sick all the time.

It was safe to say that she hated being pregnant. And just thinking about how it would go on for months, only to end with a pain so bad it was probably indescribable, both infuriated and terrified her. She wasn’t ready for this. In fact, she didn’t think she would ever be. So, there really was no other option. She would have to get rid of it.

She found herself wondering if Liam would understand, should she decide to tell him. Since they got back together, he had acted differently around her; treated her with more respect, like he had been given a second chance. He kept declaring his love for her all the time, and she knew he thought she had forgiven him, although she hadn’t spoken the words out loud.

But what Liam didn’t know was the fact that she still didn’t believe him. He was the only one who knew the truth about her past, and yet, he had betrayed her. Going back to him had been convenient, but the truth was, although she let him take her every night, she had come to despise him. Yet she allowed him to stay in her house, in her bed.

Sometimes, she wondered if there was something seriously wrong with her, considering the way she was acting. Of course, she quickly dismissed the thought, every time. There couldn’t be anything wrong with her. It was everything else in the world that was wrong. She had told William that he wasn’t good enough for her. But Drusilla Reynolds fully believed that the rest of the world was simply beneath her.

She quickly made up her mind. “I need to make a phone call.”

“A phone call?” Liam frowned. “To who?”

“That’s not important.” Drusilla gave him a cold look. “At least not to you.”

He crossed his arms over his chest, his face a mixture of confusion and irritation. “What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Tell me something.” She tilted her head, slightly. “Would you take pride in raising the child of another man as your own?”

Liam was quiet for a moment, then lowered his eyes. “Can’t say the idea makes me jump for joy.”

Drusilla nodded, like it was the response she had been expecting. “Don’t worry, my Angel. It will not come to that.”

He opened his mouth, then closed it again as her words started to sink in. “Dru? What are you saying?”


~ ~ ~


“Must be hard, not knowing.” Buffy got a thoughtful expression on her face as she snuggled closer to William on the bed, her finger drawing patterns on his bare chest. “I mean, I know she says the baby’s yours, but...”

“...we both know she’s probably been shagging the whole bloody town,” William finished. There was no sarcasm in his voice; it was just a simple matter of fact.

“This will probably sound weird...” Buffy hesitated for a moment before she went on; “But in a way, for the sake of the baby, I hope it is yours.”

He raised a brow in surprise, turning his head so he could look at her. “Why’s that?”

“Think about it.” She bit her lip. “Despite the fact that she claims to find her pregnancy to be somewhat of a blessing, do you actually believe Drusilla is capable of suddenly becoming a loving mother?”

“And care for someone other than herself?” William snorted. “Not bloody likely.”

“My point exactly.” Buffy let out a sigh. “And honestly, do you think any of the other guys she’s been with would be prepared to start acting like a devoted father?”

He looked at her for a moment, then rolled his eyes. “Hear what you’re saying, luv. But what makes you so sure I’d do any better?”

“Are you kidding?” She gave him a soft smile. “William, you’d be a wonderful father. I’d never doubt that for a second.”

“Think so?” Buffy nodded, almost shyly. William felt strangely touched by her words. It also made him hope that she seriously considered the idea of the two of them starting a family of their own some day.

Not to mention the fact that it meant the world to him that Buffy seemed to genuinely accept the thought of another woman possibly carrying his child. Because he was slowly getting used to the idea of becoming a father. And it was starting to feel kinda good.


TBC