“What’s all that about then?” Spike asked, looking slightly bewildered. Buffy giggled at his expression, and couldn’t help thinking how adorable he looked.

“I told Dawn that she could have some friends from school over to the house. I hope that’s ok.” Buffy said, smiling at him unconsciously, temporarily forgetting her anger, hurt, and disappointment in him.

Forgetting himself as well, Spike nodded his relaxed consent, “Sure luv, that’s fine.”

Buffy gave him a beaming smile. She knew it was pathetic, she knew she shouldn’t allow him to affect her in such a way, but she couldn’t help it.

“You know…” Buffy said, almost shyly, causing him to look at her, “If you wanted, you could…join us?”

“What?” he asked incredulously. ‘Is she serious? After everything that’s happened, she’s still wants me around? I’m starting to think she’s as cracked up as Dru.’

Buffy’s smile melted, and mentally scolded herself. “Ya, you’re right. Sorry.” She said, standing from her place beside him, and striding towards the door.

“Buffy wait.” He called out and stood before she could leave. It was the fact that he used her real name and not her title that had her turning around to face him.

When she looked at him with what had now become her customary mask of indifference, he started to second guessed what he was about to do, but forced the words out anyway.

“Buffy, I…I’m sorry. I’d love to join you and the bit.” He could see that she was extremely taken aback.

“Really?” she asked, the beginnings of a smile touching the corners of her lips.

He just nodded, and her face erupted in one of the most beatific smiles he had ever seen.

“Uh, ok, well, why don’t you come over tomorrow night, around 8? Dawn wanted to come with me to visit mom tonight. She’s supposed to be getting out of the hospital in a few days, so…” Buffy trailed off uneasily, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

Spike raised his eyebrows worriedly, “She’s still in the hospital? I thought she was just goen’ in for a standard check up.”

Buffy shook her head sadly. “No, I wish she was. She’s been getting these headaches and dizzy spells for a little while, turns out it was a tumor or something pressing on her brain that was making her sick. She’s scheduled to have the surgery in a few days. The Doctors say that there is a very good chance for a full recovery, but, well…we’re all a little shaky right now.”

Spike wasn’t sure what to think. His head was spinning. It struck him suddenly what a strong and resilient person the Slayer really was. Here she was; her mother was in the hospital with a brain tumor, she finds out that she has a daughter, she’s in love (or was) with a stupid pilock that treats her like dirt, and to top it all off, there’s a new big bad in town out to kill her.

‘How is she still standing?’ Spike asked himself in wonder.

“I’m sure she’ll be fine, great lady, Joyce, strong. She’s a fighter.”

“Ya – ”

“Mom!” Dawn called from the other room, followed by Xander’s “Ok, does anybody else find that just a little weird?”

The sound brought the happy smile back to Buffy’s face. “See you later?” she asked, barley waiting for his nod before heading out the door.


“Dawn listen,” Buffy stopped them just before entering Joyce’s hospital room. “The doctor said that the tumor that’s pushing on mom’s brain might cause her to act weird or say weird things. She’s still Joyce, she’s just acting a little funny, ok?”

Dawn nodded her head resolutely. “Got it.” She said, turning to the door.

“Oh, one more thing,” Buffy stopped her again. “Mom knows you’re my daughter.” Buffy smiled down at her, stroking her long brown hair.

“Really? Cool!” Dawn smiled, bouncing into the room. “Hey grandma!” she chirped. Making Joyce chuckle and Buffy roll her eyes in good humor.

“Hi sweetheart.” Joyce replied, giving Dawn a hug as best she could from her spot on the bed. Her voice was gravely and tired, but happy.

“Hey mom, how are you feeling?” Buffy asked from Joyce’s other side after giving her a gentle hug as well.

“Oh, Buffy, hunny, I want to go home.” Joyce said in a tone that Buffy had never heard before; it was scared, sad, almost…childish.

“I know mom. But your surgery is tomorrow. I really don’t think the doctors are going to let you out the day before.” Buffy said, trying to placate her.

Joyce’s face turned harsh. “How dare you talk back to me! I am your mother you ungrateful brat!” she yelled, making Dawn jump away from where she had just been holding Joyce’s hand and look up at Buffy.

Buffy lowered her eyes and forced back her tears, but never let go of her mother’s hand.

“Buffy, are you ok?” Joyce asked, completely unaware of what she had just said.

“Ya mom, maybe you should get some rest.” Buffy suggested gently.

“Oh please, Buffy, Please. I just want to go home. You’re the Slayer, you can do it. You can do anything right?” Joyce pleaded again in that little girl tone.

Sighing, Buffy nodded. “Ok mom, we’ll see.”

Joyce seemed to relax a little into her pillow, placated for the moment.

About ten minutes later, Dr. Kriegel entered.

“Oh, tell him, Buffy. Tell him, ok?” Joyce said getting more animated than her condition allowed.

Sighing again, Buffy turned to face the doctor. “Look, Dr. Kriegel, we wanna go home.”

The doctor nodded, completely obtuse. “Well, of course. You can come back and visit your mother first thing in the morning.”

Buffy shook her head. “No. We. I-I mean, all of us. My mom too.”

Anxiously, Joyce stared at the doctor, twisting the bed sheet in her hands.

“Oh. Well, I understand that, but it’s not usually done, and I would highly recommend against it.”

Joyce nearly exploded in rage. “I can’t! I can’t stay here another night waiting for this operation, I just can’t! It makes my head hurt to be here! Can’t you tell that?!”

“Joyce, there’s no reason to get upset.” He tried to placate her.

“No reason to get upset? Oh, right, sorry, I must just think there is because of my brain tumor!” She continued to yell.

Scared by Joyce’s erratic behavior, Dawn quietly approached Buffy. “Mom, can I go for a walk?”

Looking down at Dawn sadly, Buffy nodded and handed her some money. “Here, why don’t you get something from the machine? And be careful. I know it’s a hospital, but it’s also Sunnydale.” Dawn nodded and rushed out of the room.

Seeing Dawn race out of the room made Joyce calm down a little. “I-I’m sorry I said that, I’m just tired.”

Buffy nodded, “I know” then turned towards the doctor. “Listen, Doctor, I don't see why we can't take her home, you know, just until...I-I mean, wouldn't it be better for her to rest someplace where she felt safe and comfortable?” Buffy argued softly.

“Even if it would mean some work for you, taking care of her?” The doctor asked.

Joyce sighed and leaned back into her pillow again. “Oh, thank god.”

Without having to think about it, Buffy agreed, “I’ll do it, anything.”

Giving up, Dr. Kriegel sighed and shook his head. “There are medications to administer, I'd have to go over those with you, and I'd need for you to check her vitals, watch her pretty closely. I'm afraid you won't get a lot of sleep.”

Buffy shrugged again, not even thinking about it. “I’m not much of a sleep person anyway.”

Anxiously, Joyce started to move in her bed. “Can we go now? Let’s go now!” she said, trying to get up.

“Hold on!” Buffy warned, stopping her gently, “Let me get all the medications and all the instructions on how to do everything first.”

“She’s right. Let’s do this right. We don’t want to forget anything.” Dr. Kriegel added.

Sighing, Joyce once again sat back in her bed.


Chapter End Notes:
Once again, I just wanted to thank everyone for reviewing and passing on your input. As to some of the wants and opinions expressed, I just wanted to remind everyone of one tiny little detail…I already have the ending written. In fact, I think it’s probably my favorite chapters out of the entire story. :D Oh, I’m feeling so evil right now. Come on, evil laughs’ all round! Mwahahaha! ;P