“Buffy?” Willow called, entering the house minutes later.

“In here, Wills.” Answered a voice from the kitchen that sounded decidedly nothing like Buffy’s usual assured tone.

“Oh goodness! What happened?” Willow asked, rushing into the kitchen and up to the counter.

Willow took in Buffy’s profile and the bruise that took up the entire side of her face.

Buffy said nothing as she finished applying the last butterfly stitch to the cut on her forehead.

Not saying another word, Willow moved around the counter and emptied the boll of bloody water into the sink, then turned back to pack up the First Aid Kit.

Willow absently noticed the cooling, untouched, pots of spaghetti and sauce, as well as the moderate amount of special sauce made especially for Dawn…and Spike.

Willow felt tears for her friend’s pain come to her eyes, but pushed them down before turning around. “Buffy?”

Buffy lifted her head briefly, and Willow was nearly overwhelmed by the pain in her friend’s eyes, before looking back down at the kitchen counter.

“Willow. I need you to do me a favor.” Buffy managed in a steady voice.

“Of course, Buffy, anything.” Willow said, moving back around the counter to sit beside her.

“I need you to do a dis-invite on the house.”

Willow was confused for a moment, “but Buffy, why would you need a dis-invite? The only vamp that has access is Sp-” Willow’s eyes opened wide with realization and shock.

The room was filled with silence for a few moments, and neither woman noticed the lone figure step onto the back porch.

Spike was about to enter the house when Buffy’s voice stopped him.

“I loved him, Wills.”

‘Talken’ ‘bout Peaches, or Captain Cardboard as usual.’

“Buffy?” Willow asked, she had picked up on the use of patience.

“I can’t do it any more Wills. How could he think that I would hurt Dawn?” Buffy said, more to herself than to her friend.

Spike was still listening to their conversation, and couldn’t believe what he was hearing. She loved him? Was she even talking about him? ‘Well who the bloody hell else would she be talken’ about? Peaches would never think the Slayer capable of doing anything wrong, and Captain Cardboard doesn’t give a shit about anyone but himself and Buffy.’ And what did she mean, ‘he thought she was hurting Dawn’? Of course she was, he had seen her…hadn’t he? Curiosity got the better of him and he moved closer so he could see through the window. As he took in her slight form, Spike didn’t know what to think. Pushing his questions aside for now, Spike turned his focus back to their conversation.

“He said I was beneath him, Will.” Buffy said in the same pitiful tone, as tears ran rampant down her cheeks.

Willow gasped, and her hand flew to cover her lips. She vividly remembered the conversation she had had with Buffy after she came back from staying with her dad in LA one time, and how he had said almost the exact same thing.

Spike was curious as to Red’s reaction, and filed it away for later deliberation. Was it possible that the Slayer had already heard that turn of phrase?

“Out of all of them…Dad, Angel, Riley…Spike was the absolute last person I thought would ever say anything like that. I mean, I now that he hates me, that he always has. But I still…I trusted him, you know? I just, I trusted him to be different. To be better. Oh Will.” Her tears fell freely as Willow rubbed her back in a soothing manner.

Lifting her head, Buffy stared straight at the wall, lost in thought. “After all the time I’ve known Spike, after everything he’s done to us. I was never afraid of him. Parent-Teacher Night, Ford, The Order of Taraka, The Judge, Everything with Dru…with all the horror I’ve faced because of him…I never once feared him.” Buffy’s lips trembled as she caught her reflection in the window.

‘Cource you didn’t, luv. To strong and smart to let the likes of me beat-’ Spike thought, proudly.

“But I was tonight.”

‘What?’ Spike felt as though he had just been sucker punched.

“I was terrified Willow. I couldn’t react. I couldn’t protect myself. The amulet made it so that it was like my movements were under water. I couldn’t defend myself, Will. It was my Curcimanthium all over again. But that wasn’t what hurt. As always with Spike, it wasn’t the punches he threw, so much as the things he said. God, it hurt so much. I can’t do it anymore, Will. I can’t keep hurting like this. And I don’t know if I can forgive him. I think that…if it hadn’t been for Dawn, he would have bagged his third Slayer tonight.” Buffy admitted, ashamedly.

Willow patted her back one more time before raising herself from her chair and walking over to the bag she had dropped when she had first seen Buffy’s face. Wordlessly, Willow walked to the front door, took out a candle, and some sage. After smudging the door with the sage, and blowing out the candle, Willow repacked her bag and walked back into the kitchen. “It’s done.”

‘What’s done?’ Spike wondered, getting a bad feeling in the pit of his stomach.

Buffy nodded, and fiddled with the necklace that she still held in her hands.

Willow was about to turn and leave Buffy to her thoughts when she spoke.

“She’s mine, you know.” Buffy whispered.

“What?”

“Dawn. She’s mine. I don’t know how or why or when…but I do know she’s mine. Mine and Spike’s. And there’s something wrong with her.” Buffy sighed, and ran her fingers through her hair, wincing when she accidentally touched the now patched up cut on the back of her skull. “Or maybe there’s nothing wrong, and that’s just the way she is. Either way, tomorrow morning, I want all available Scoobies on it.” She said, for a moment looking like the general Willow knew her to be.

Willow nodded. “Sure thing Buffy. I’ll send out the Scoobies signal first thing in the morning.”

Buffy smiled tiredly at her. “Thanks Will. I really don’t think I could get through this without you.”

Willow smiled. “You’re my best friend Buffy. I love you. And don’t worry…I’ll always be here.”

Buffy smiled. “I love you too, Wills. You should probably get some sleep. Gonna’ be a busy day tomorrow.”

Willow nodded. “Goodnight Buffy.”

“Night Wills”


Chapter End Notes:
Sorry it's so short, I just needed to cut it up for the chapters. Sorry.