After an hour, Buffy decided that she needed to get Dawn back to Spike’s seeing as she had school the next day.

“Dawnie.” Buffy called softly, shaking her shoulder slightly.

“Mmumm…” Dawn whined sleepily in protest, and snuggled more deeply into Buffy’s side.

“Come on Dawnie, get your coat and shoes on, and I’ll carry you back. No walking, I promise.”

Moaning again, Dawn reluctantly lifted her head to see Buffy standing in front of her. “But I don’t wanna…” she whined petulantly.

Buffy smiled. “Come on sleepy head, up you get. I still have to talk to your father, then a quick patrol.”

Reluctantly getting to her feet, Dawn dragged her self over to where Buffy was holding her coat for her.

After gathering all of Dawn’s things, Buffy crouched down and allowed Dawn to climb on to her back.

Dawn fell back asleep almost as soon as Buffy took her first step out the door. She couldn’t help it. As much as she was human herself, Dawn had never felt the soft warmth that seemed to radiate off of Buffy. ‘A mother’s warmth’ Dawn thought in a daze, as the gentle rocking of Buffy’s steps, and the heat of her body served to rock her to sleep.


Arriving at Spike’s crypt, Buffy decided to knock gently instead of just barging in, or yelling for him to open the door, in fear that she would wake Dawn.

“Slayer, what-” Spike was cut off immediately when Buffy shushed him.

“Let me in Spike, so I can put her down. She’s exhausted. We had a bit of a run in at the hospital. She’s ok, but the guy scared her pretty good. She fell asleep on the couch earlier, and was out like a light as soon as I picked her up.” Buffy chatted easily, but was sure to be quiet enough not to wake Dawn.

When she didn’t feel Spike behind her, she turned to see him looking at her with something akin to horror.

Buffy opened her mouth to ask him what was wrong, but then recognized the amulet around his neck. Snapping her mouth shut, Buffy’s eyes seemed to darken with some unknown emotion.

“Let me put her down, and we’ll talk.” Buffy said, turning and carefully descending the latter.


Sitting down on the bed, Buffy let Dawn gently slip off of her back and onto the bed. Standing, Buffy turned and shuffled Dawn under the covers.

Furrowing her brow, Dawn moaned in her sleep and seemed to be reaching for something. “Mommy…” she whispered.

“Shh, I’m right here sweetheart, go to sleep.” Buffy hummed, stroking Dawn’s hair away from her face.

“Daddy…” Dawn whispered, snuggling more into the covers.

“I’ll get him,” Buffy said, turning, but was surprised to see him standing at the bottom of the latter, watching them.

Buffy mentally scolded herself for not feeling his presence right behind her, but shook it off.

“She wanted to say goodnight.” Buffy said softly, moving away from the sleeping girl.

Looking as though he was approaching some headless specter, Spike cautiously made his way over to his daughter. At least, he thought she was his daughter. Spike chanced a glance at Buffy, and immediately wished he hadn’t.

Watching Spike approach Dawn like she was some ferocious animal, made Buffy glare. “I’m glad she’s asleep, and doesn’t have to watch as her own father cowers like a pathetic fledgling.” Buffy snapped harshly, giving Spike the swift kick in the ass that he needed.

Taking a deep breath, Spike finally reached the side of the bed, and kneeled down beside it. Tentatively, he reached out a hand, running it over the side of her face, which continued to flicker in and out. “Dawn?”

“Night daddy…” she murmured, half conscious.

“Night nibblet.” Spike said, more out of habit, than any conscious effort.

“Night mommy…”

Instantly, Buffy was at Dawn’s side, and placed a kiss on her forehead. “Goodnight sweetheart, sweet dreams.”

Silently, Buffy pulled Spike away from the bed and forced him up the latter. Still too stunned to speak, Spike allowed Buffy to manhandle him into his tattered green chair in front of the TV.

They sat in silence for a moment, Buffy perched on top of his cold stone sarcophagus, and Spike just staring blankly at the wall.

“Spike.”

The sound of Buffy’s voice startled him out of his thoughts, and Spike looked over at her, proving that it wasn’t just some weird dream, as she was still covered in a gold shimmering light.

Looking down, Spike again saw the silver that surrounded him.

“What is she?” He asked in a strangled tone, not bothering to look at her.

“Your daughter.” Buffy answered simply.

“What else?” he asked in the same voice.

Here Buffy hesitated.

“We don’t know yet. I have the Scoobies looking into it, but my spidy sense has been tingling for a while now. I think something’s coming. And I think it’s coming after Dawn.”

Spike just nodded.

“Spike, listen.” For the first time since coming up the latter, Spike lifted his head and looked at her.

“As far as I know, Dawn is innocent in all of this. She has no clue what’s going on, or what’s wrong with her. In her mind, she is just a regular twelve year old girl, and you are her father. You raised her, protected her. And if my feelings are correct, she’s going to need you more than ever in the next little while.”

“And you? Where do you fit in all of this?”

“Even if I wasn’t her mother, I would do anything and everything in my power to save and protect Dawn. If nothing else, you know that I will always risk my life to protect the innocent.” Buffy said softly and with passion.

Standing, Buffy walked over to him and reached out her hand for the amulet. Closing his eyes, Spike allowed her to remove it.

“I’m going to patrol. Xander will be by in the morning to take Dawn to school. Spike, this is no place for a little girl. You know that. I know you don’t like it, but, no matter how much you hate me, the offer for Dawn to stay with me will always stand.”

Buffy didn’t bother to look back and see if he was listening. After saying her peace, Buffy walked out of the crypt, quietly shutting the door behind her.