It was as Buffy was making a quick sweep of the warehouse district that she thought she could hear screaming. Running as fast as her feet could carry her Buffy rushed into the building. Reaching the floor where the sounds of torture seemed to originate, she burst through the door. Not expecting the sight that greeted her.

There, tied to a chair in the middle of the room, was a man dressed in what Buffy could only describe as “monk wear”. Semi-conscious.

“Whoa, are you ok?” Buffy says, running over to untie the man. "Don’t worry, I’m stronger than I look, I’ll get you out of here. I kinda’ have experience with stuff like this. Best of all…” Quickly, without warning, Buffy spun around to grab the woman sneaking up behind her by the throat. “I’m not stupid.”

Swatting Buffy’s hand away as though it was nothing, the woman brought her arm back, backhanding Buffy with enough force to send her crashing into the wall, and creating a nice Buffy sized whole.

“You sure about that last part?” Glory laughed. Stalking over to the fallen blond, She picked Buffy up by her neck, and again tossed her like a rag doll, into the opposite wall where she landed face first.

“By the way,” Glory said, again walking over to Buffy. “This whole “beat ya to death” thing I’m doing? It’s a valuable time out of my life that I’m never gonna get back.”

Lifting herself up, Buffy tried to fight back, but Glory griped both of her arms, wrenching then downwards, making Buffy cry out in pain.

“Wait, I’ve always wanted to try this. You know that thing with worms where if you have one, you rip it in half, you got two worms? Do you think that’ll work with you?”

Getting fed up, Buffy slammed her head into Glory’s face, breaking free of her grip, and causing Glory to cry out in shock.

“You hit me! What, are you crazy?”

Pressing her advantage, Buffy launched her attack, punching and kicking for all she was worth, and forcing Glory back. In the back of her mind, Buffy took note that her attack seemed more to offend the demon woman, more than actually hurt her.

“You can’t just go around hitting people. What, were you born in a barn?”

Getting annoyed at the smaller blond, Glory easily blocked Buffy’s next punch.

“Hey, I just noticed something. You have super powers. That is so cool. Can you fly?” Glory asked, picking Buffy up again by the throat, and hurling her across the room.

Dazed, Buffy quickly picked herself up, and turned to face her opponent. But reassessed the situation when she realized that she had landed right beside the dying monk. Making a quick decision, Buffy picked up the monk, and half dragged him over to the window. Ignoring Glory’s furious cries behind her, Buffy fully picked the man up into her arms, and crashed through the large window.

As soon as they had landed, Buffy supported the man, and they hobbled as quickly as they could away from the warehouse. When they finally reached the edge of the lot, the monk stumbled, and they both collapsed against the chain-link fence.

“My journey’s done, I think.” The monk rasped harshly.

“Don’t get metaphory on me. We’re going.” Buffy said, trying to lift him again, but he stops her.

“You have to…the Key. You have to protect the key. Many more die if you don’t keep it safe.”

“How? What is it?” Buffy asked with trepidation.

“The Key is energy. It’s a portal. It opens the door…”

“What is it? Where is it?”

“For centuries it had no form at all. My brethren, its only keepers. Then the abomination found us. We had to hide the Key, gave if form, molded it flesh…made it human and sent it to who would protect it.”

Buffy stared at him in shock as realization sunk in.

“Dawn…” Buffy whispered in horror. That monster that had nearly killed her was after Dawn.

“We knew that the Slayer and the Champion would protect her. We took parts of your essence, and the Champion’s and combined them to create one flesh. We knew that you were not ready, so we were forced to send her the Champion’s concubine.” He managed to say, as he started coughing heavily.

“What is she?” Buffy had to ask in a trembling voice.

“Human…now human. And helpless. Please… she’s an innocent in this. She needs you.”

“She is my daughter.” Buffy said with certainty.

The Monk nodded as he reached into his robes and pulled out a glowing orb.

“Take this…it will help you to protect the Key. Keep…her…safe…” the monk wheezed one last time and he was gone.


“Giles!” Buffy’s voice yell fervently from the other side of his door.

Getting up, and stumbling down the stairs as quickly as his aging body would carry him, Giles rushed to open the door, giving entrance to his almost panicked Slayer.

“Buffy, good lord, what is it? What’s wrong?”

“It’s Dawn.” She said, turning to stand in the middle of the room.

“What happened? Is she alright?”

“In a manner of speaking. Giles…I know what Dawn is.”

“Buffy, slow down. Here, take a seat, and tell me everything.”

Bit by bit, Buffy explained everything to Giles. From talking to Willow about her feelings for Dawn, to what the monk had told her. She even told him about the fight with Spike, and her feeling for him.

By the end of her explanation Giles was sitting on the couch beside her with a tumbler of whiskey in his hand.

“Giles…can you say something please?” Buffy asked after a long moment’s silence.

“I…what do you want me to say Buffy?” He asked finally looking up at her. Neither of them had noticed that she had started crying during her account.

“I just need to know that you’re going to be here for me through all of this. I don’t know if I could handle all of this crazy drama without you.”

Taking pity on his charge, Giles’s eyes softened, and he pulled her to him for a fatherly hug.

“Oh Buffy. You know, no matter what happens, I will always be here for you.”

Snuggling into the comfort of his arms Buffy relaxed. “Thanks Giles, You don’t know how much that means to me.”

“It’s ok, Buffy. Now, why don’t you head-on home, and we’ll explain everything to everyone tomorrow. You go home and get some rest. We’ll discuss this more in the morning.”

“Giles, I don’t know if it’s a good idea to tell the gang about Dawn being the Key, I mean, what if that super strong demon chick get’s a hold of one of them? I think letting them know would put them in even more danger than they already are on a daily basis.”

“Yes, I see your point. Very well, you tell who you think needs to know, and I will support you.” Giles said rubbing his glasses, as he stood to walk Buffy to the door.

“Thanks Giles.” Buffy said, giving him one last hug, before heading out the door.

“Goodnight Buffy.”


Chapter End Notes:
I hope you enjoyed this very boring chapter, but don’t worry, I can guaranty you that most of the following chapters will be more exciting than this. Again, really sorry.