Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter is a little shorter than the others, but I found myself unable to find a decent cut off point, so hopefully this will work out.
Willow leaned forward perched on Buffy’s couch, eyes wide. “Oh no. What happened?”

Buffy pulled another towel from the basket on the floor as she stood to fold, before laying it atop the small pile on the cushion next to Willow. “Gunn got a look at my toe and I put on the bandage.” She said wiggling her toe for emphasis and instantly regretting it. “Owie.”

Willow was still sitting on the edge waiting for the rest. “And?”

Buffy looked up from the socks she was now trying to mix and match properly. “And what?”

Watching the blonde do her laundry was hardly the entertainment she had been hoping for the day before classes started back up. She was here for details and just when they were becoming increasingly juicy details Buffy starts slacking on the story telling. “What, what? What do you mean, and what? What happened next?”

She rolled a pair of light blue bobby socks together. “They got pizza and I went home.”

“What!?” Willow nearly fell of her seat and had to catch herself before she steadied and went on. “Didn’t Spike shoo him away, or invite you along or something?”

“Well yeah, Gunn actually asked us both to go but it was just too- I don’t know.” She studied the mismatched pair in her hand and tossed them both back into the basket before sitting herself on the floor and looking back at Willow. “It was uncomfortable I guess. I think it would have been no matter who had come. I mean, if it had just been a couple of minutes later…” She sighed and studied her now empty hands.

“Poor Buffy.” Willow’s tiny pout matched her sentiment. “And you haven’t heard from him at all?”

“Nope.”

“Gunn either?”

“Nope again.”

Now with neat stacks of whites laying on the table and couch Buffy started stacking them carefully into the basket. When she was done she finally took the seat next to her friend and leaned heavily into the cushions. “And before you even ask, I’m not calling him. Not yet anyway.”

“But why not?”

“Because Wills, there’s this thing hanging there.” Buffy watched the play of her friend’s features as she tried to follow. “The almost kiss. I don’t know what to say.” She shrugged.

Now understanding, Willow matched Buffy’s slumped pose. “Oh, yeah I guess that’s a tough one.” She thought for a minute before grinning. “You could just march up to his house and tell him you wanted to pick up where you left off. You know, take charge.” She grinned from ear to ear and waited for a reply.

Buffy could only glare. “Hello, have you met me?” She bore down on the now chuckling redhead. “You want me to upgrade your memory? Sure. You want me to set up a server? Happy to do it. Hell, I’ll even back up you’re entire system to antiquated floppies if you give me enough Star Trek to watch while I do it. But I am so-o not the kind of girl who can just walk up to a guy and demand smoochies.”

“You don’t have to demand,” Willow tried to keep a straight face as she spoke. “You could always say, please.” And she burst out into laughter.

Buffy grabbed one of her carefully folded fluffy bath towels keeping an uninterested look on her face and whacked Willow’s side. “Very helpful.”

~~`~~

About 3 seconds after Buffy walked out of Spike’s door.

Gunn stood to the side of the front door still staring at the doorknob before turning back to Spike who was gathering up movies and stowing them into his case beside the widescreen.

Buffy had run out like her rear was ablaze, which would have only matched the pink of her face. Not to mention she barely said a hasty hello or goodbye. There was a light smirk on Gunn’s face by the time Spike picked up the first aid supplies.

He was careful as he spoke. “So, you and Buffy were watching some shows?”

Spike almost dropped the bottle of peroxide at the question but caught it just in time before heading toward the bathroom. “We were about to.” He said while he could remain hidden from his friend standing in his family room.

In the bathroom Spike set everything in its place and took a deep breath before heading to his room to grab his docs. He went back into the living room and sat on the sectional before preparing to leave. “Ital or Chinese?” He asked automatically while he put his boots on.

Gunn still smirked as he rubbed his chin. He was on the verge of bursting. As he watched Spike getting ready there was one very unusual thing about his demeanor. Not only was he half turned away, but the blonde wouldn’t look him in the eye. Barely even faced him really.

It didn’t take the astute man much time to put 2 and 2 together. “I’ll be damned.” He said, teeth bright in contrast to his dark complexion with. “It’s Buffy isn’t it?”

Spike didn’t even look up as he tied the last of his shoelaces. “Don’t know what you’re getting at.”

“Don’t pull that with me, man.” Gunn said and crossed his arms. “This whole makeover thing you have going on in here, it’s about her isn’t it?”

He sat up now, unable to do much more than give Gunn the respect due as his friend and stared him down. “What if it is?”

At this Gunn let his hands drop to the side and gave Spike a quick nod. “Who’s got a better IN than me? If you want to try for Buffy, who else better suited to facilitate that merger?” He asked with grin.

Now Spike was somewhere between Confused Blvd. and Relieved Av. “You don’t mind then?”

Now turning serious Gunn stared him down. “You gonna be nice to her? Get her flowers, pull out her chair and open the door for her?”

“What? Yeah I supo-”

“Don’t forget her birthday either. Oh and the kids-”

“Kids? Wait a minute. I’m just trying to get a bloody date here.” Spike said now trying to get Gunn’s attention. The mirth in Gunn’s eyes finally clued Spike onto the fact that his friend was having a little fun at his expense. “Very funny.”

“I thought so.” Gunn shoved his hands into the loose pockets of his jeans. “So why did you just let her leave?”

Spike stood at that. “Because, my best mate walked in and busted up the moment, didn’t he?”

Gunn stared back at the door again before shaking his head. “Damn man, you could have said something.”

With a wave of his hand Spike turned and grabbed his duster from the back of a kitchen chair. “S’all right. Knew this was going to be tricky.”

Gunn followed Spike through the house into the garage. Apparently the blonde had decided he was going to drive. The garage door opened automatically with the push of a button and Gunn caught a glimpse of his truck parked at the curb. “So, what’s your plan then?”

Spike stared blankly at the dark eyes of his friend. “Plan?”

~~`~~

A sudden gust of wind shook the branches and ruffled the green leaves high above his head as Spike strolled up to Buffy’s door Wednesday afternoon. He’d waited until school had started back up. What could he say? He was being a complete coward about the whole thing.

He’d tried to call. Several times in fact, but each time he held his phone he just couldn’t figure out what to say to the girl. He was caught between apologizing for trying to kiss her and asking her out. So he’d decided on a compromise. One that, strangely as it turns out, Gunn had suggested.

He looked down at the bundle of fresh cut daisies set off by baby’s breath and sprigs of tiny orange flowers he didn’t know the name of. He had been going for sweet and thoughtful, having remembered her say something about how she loved daisies.

Attached was a small card artfully decorated with what appeared to be lazy light random red brush strokes. Inside it simply said, “I never liked interruptions.”

This was the part he didn’t care for, the anonymity. But he‘d already admitted he was scared. This was his best option.

She wasn’t home. He knew she wouldn’t be thanks to Gunn’s knowledge of her schedule. After some consideration he set the bundle to lean slightly against the door’s jam. The porch was well sheltered from any errant wisps of air and if they did fall over they would by lying at her doorway. No way she could miss them.

Letting out a heavy exhale he turned around and headed back towards his car. He still had a paper to turn in and a lecture to survive.

With a final glance back at the bright colors against the shadows of the overhang he backed out, once again taking note of that final bounce as his car left her driveway.

~~`~~

Willow, Gunn and Buffy were all surrounding a small table out in the quad with books open and notes held down by cool drinks in the warm sun. She had gotten the flowers yesterday and still wished the card had been signed. It irritated her. She was 80% sure they were from Spike, but the note was vague enough that she kept glancing up at Gunn at regular intervals. And if the surprise on her front stoop had been from Gunn, what did it mean?

She was watching as he tried to map out possible network configurations. It was fairly basic stuff to her, but some of the examples were a little confusing. “So then this one here would be star topology.” He stated pointing at one of the diagrams showing an icon in the middle with 7 lines shooting off to pictures of desktops PCs.

She smiled. “You got it.”

He mirrored her grin. “Alright. I’m the man.” He closed his book and glanced between the two girls. “You know you wanna say it.”

They shared a look before echoing. “You’re the man.”

“I’m a man too.” Xander said and he dropped his books between Gunn and Buffy. “What do we need men for? Heavy lifting? Possibly a swimsuit contest needs judging?”

Gunn shook his head. “Stop now, while your only this far behind.” He stated holding his hands wide.

“Can do.” Xander agreed easily as he sat down on the bench in the space Buffy and Gunn had made for him. “So, weekend, plans. Do we have any?”

Willow perked up. “I heard about this documentary about the rise and fall of-” She saw the three glares turn on her at lightning speed. “A place that I can learn about on my own and not on Friday night.”

Buffy gave the deflated redhead a sympathetic look. “Sorry Wills, but personally I need a night out. We’ve been watching movies almost every weekend. And last weekend,” She glanced back at Willow, afraid to look at Gunn. “Totally bored.”

“You guys thinking’ Cypher?” Gunn asked.

“Oh! There could be dancing.” Willow said now grinning madly.

“Pool.” The men agreed simultaneously and then shared a very manly moment involving low shared laughter and a high five.

“Don’t forget a night at the races.” Buffy joined them in their excitement. “So it’s settled. Tomorrow night, we get pretty to party.”

Gunn rubbed his chin thoughtfully. “Some of us are always pretty.”

Willow rolled her eyes and looked at her watch. “Jeez. I’m late. I have to run.” She dropped her things into her satchel quickly with organized and practiced ease. “I’ll let Oz know the plan. See ya tomorrow.” And she dashed away.

“We probably better head out too. “Xander said to Buffy. They had separate classes but in the same building just 1 room apart.

She gathered her things along with Xander. “Gunn, why don’t you meet up at my house. About 9?”

“Sure thing.” He watched the pair walk away and towards their classes. When he knew they were out of earshot he pulled his cell from his trouser’s pocked and hit a few keys before holding it against his ear.

A few seconds passed. “Yeah, hey. So what you doin’ tomorrow, man?”

~~`~~

Buffy waved at Lorne as she stepped of the bus and headed home. It was a short 2 block walk but she enjoyed the slow pace she’d set for herself as she cradled her books in her arms.

She watched the local kids as they rode their bikes and bounced basketballs running along the pavement. Some loose hair that had escaped the binding of her ponytail was tickling her nose and she could hear the faraway chimes of an ice-cream truck hoping to coax the spending money of children from their pockets.

When she headed up the drive her eyes sensed the gleam from up ahead and she looked to see what had caused it.

This time, in place of the flowers was a bundle of balloons. Reflective silvers and pinks mixed with purples tumbled against each other in the minor shifting of air causing the sun to highlight the smooth surface. It was just all very, “Shiney.”

She smiled a little confused when she walked up the porch steps and tugged on the colored ribbons anchoring the pretty balloon bouquet to, of all things, a stuffed red teddy bear sporting horns on its hear with “Little Devil” written across its tiny white tummy in flowing black thread-sewn script.

It was all very, cute.

As she pulled the teddy bear from the ground the balloons bounded upwards and settled against the porch’s ceiling. Afraid now that her surprise gift might bust she unlocked the door and carefully pulled the floating globes of color away from the wooden rafters above.

This was even stranger than the flowers, she thought to herself as she pulled a card that had been tucked between the stuffed animal’s horns. This time the card with the same brush design as the flowers read, “Tomorrow night.”

Her face fell. Her stomach felt like it was being tugged in several directions. Now holding the small massage she turned it over a few times, hoping the square of thick paper would reveal something else.

The only people she would be seeing tomorrow night were her friends, and she really couldn’t see Gunn, of all people, sending her such a strange token. Balloons were usually for Get Well’s ads Sweet 16’s. Not really the normal wooing effort of the adult crowd.

Not that she cared, she always wanted to get balloons. She remembered seeing other girls getting them is school when she was younger, but her mom always thought flowers were more respectable. Not that Buffy really disagreed but, she was always a little jealous of the balloon receivers.

As she set the bundle, still held captive by the bear, down on the couch with her books Buffy could only think of one person she’d really shared that with, other than Willow of course.

She’d only mentioned it once, in fact she couldn’t remember what had sparked the conversation as they’d headed for class a year ago but she’d mentioned how she liked the silly sentiment of flowers versus balloons. And once Buffy remembered, she also recalled mentioning her penchant for daisies as well.

It wasn’t exactly irrefutable evidence but she was now 98% sure Spike was behind the impromptu gifts.

Once again her face fell. “Holy crap!”

It was one thing to decide she was going to go for it, it was a whole other thing to find out he’d decided the same thing. Instead of relief she was suddenly full of nerves and fear. Without a second to lose Buffy jumped up and grabbed her phone from the kitchen before quickly dialing.

She paced back and forth now staring down the bundle of flowers she’d put in a clear crystal vase on her kitchen table. Finally the phone was answered. “Willow, help.” She squeaked out.

~~`~~

Buffy watched as her books tumbled from the desk to fall in a fanning design across the low carpet. It was just one of those days. It seemed she couldn’t walk properly, type right or even form well thought out sentences and now even inanimate objects seemed to be contributing to her clumsy day.

She pushed herself up from her seat and crouched down only to feel her pants snag on one of the handles on the chair that normally helped to adjust the seat for comfort. There was a ripping sound before Buffy could stop it.

She twisted to see her back pocket, now half torn away from her backside. “Just perfect.” She said before just letting herself sit firmly on the floor.

If her day continued like this, it might just be safer for everyone if she locked herself inside until midnight. And she really couldn’t do that. Not tonight. And after making Willow come over until they had picked out the perfect outfit, she doubted she’d be given the choice to stay home.

She just had to get all of the ridiculous bad luck stuff out of the way now. It was her only real option.

She gathered up her books once again and set them carefully at her spot in the computer lab just in time to see Fred walk in carrying her notepad as she wrote not looking up. “Hi Buffy.”

The blonde now standing and arranging herself behind the laptop used for lessons and planning eyed her books just waiting for them to jump from the table again. “Hey Fred.”

The tone in her voice made the professor look up from her scribbling. “Everything alright?”

“Just one of those days.” Buffy said, the corners of her mouth quirking up.

Fred put her notepad down and pulled out the thick instructors copy of the text for an upcoming class. “At least it’s Friday.” Fred replied now sporting a full smile of her own.

“It sure is.” Buffy said almost to herself.

Fred quickly flipped through the pages of her book until she reached the page she was searching for and made a few more notations on her notepad. “Well, I’m sure you’ll have bundles of fun with your friends. A good time out is all you need.”

Buffy nodded and brought up the PowerPoint for the instructor’s final class of the day. “Normally I’d agree, and you’re probably right. It’d just be nice not to accidentally fall on my face walking up the stairs.”

“Oh, you’ll be fine. Everybody gets a bout of clumsy once in awhile.”

Buffy simply nodded as she settled herself in her seat, preparing to check the visual aid and she promptly missed the chair finding herself on the floor again.

“Of course sometimes it’s worse than others.” Fred said, her tiny nose scrunched up as she took in Buffy’s position on the ground. “Maybe I better run the PowerPoint today, you think?”


Chapter End Notes:
This is almost over. I want to say again just loads of thanks to everytsingle reader and and special thanks to everyone who took the few minutes to let me know what they thought. This has been great fun so far. I hope yall can stick around for another week for the exciting (I hope) conclusion.