Author's Chapter Notes:
Ok, here is a rewritten version. The chapter is stil the same but I think there is a better flow. Adn also an Epilogue is also going to close this up and hopefully give everyone a little soemthing more.
The day hadn’t gone any smoother. Buffy missed her bus by minutes and had to wait an extra hour before heading home for the weekend. Because of this, she was stuck with one of the few drivers that really grated on her nerves, but Buffy was determined to keep her good mood.

The cranky woman at the wheel was too stern to be reasonable. She was never friendly and Buffy had guessed that whatever muscles were required for smiling, this old woman definitely had been born without. Still, the blonde ignored all this. Instead she concentrated on getting home and getting ready.

Unfortunately dear old Maggie absolutely refused to stop at Buffy’s normal corner. Granted it wasn’t technically a designated stop along the route, but it was along the same path and cut out the crossing of a never tamed lawn.

So she had inevitably tracked a substantial amount of mud into her home despite shedding her now filthy sneakers on the stoop. The end result of sinking within the gooey nearly black muck of the only open lot between the regulated bus drop off and her neighborhood.

Not only had she been running later than she’d have liked but the floor needed cleaning before her friends showed up.

She was down to 20 minutes before Willow was due to show by the time she was able to step into the tub.

Now with her hair curled and off her shoulders Buffy tried again to line her eyes while Willow sat on the bathtub’s edge. The redhead wrapped in a full length dark blue velvety long sleeved dress kept herself occupied perusing the eye shadow choices within the makeup case as Buffy tried to finish getting ready. “I swear the universe is trying to tell me something, Wills.”

Willow looked up only to see Buffy smudge the liner once again. “You’re just busy in your head. You need to relax, and quit talking so much. Just open your mouth and stare.”

Buffy set the pencil down and grabbed a washcloth from the sink’s edge before leaning forward and dabbing carefully at her eye as she watched her reflection. “This isn’t preoccupation, or improper application. This is a balancing issue.”

“Karma again?” Willow asked with a quirked grin. “Last time it was Riley. Let me guess, Gunn?”

Buffy was running the pencil along her upper lid finally getting to the other side in a straight shot. She took a step back and smiled at her work. “No, its just making sure I appreciate things I think.”

It was then Willow realized something. Her friend who had shared the string of strangely bad things that had happened to her through her day seemed pretty upbeat. “And how did you come to that conclusion?”

Buffy smiled at herself again as she plucked the misty grey silver color from Willow’s hands and brushed it smoothly on her lids. “When I was waiting for the bus actually.”

Willow now ran her fingers along the lipstick choices, taking out a favorite of the blonde. “Hmm, I guess all that waiting around does give you time to think.”

Buffy gave the light pink gloss held by her friend a passing glance while she remembered stepping up to her bus stop only to see it up the road, already having passed. At the time it had been rotten luck, and then things changed very quickly.

“Oh, come on!!” She yelled at the exhaust she could barely make out from blocks up the road. Some jerk in a red I’m-making-up-for-other-shortcomings sports car honked at her as it drove by. It was the perfect end to a perfect day. And now she had to wait for another bus.

With a low growl she turned back up the sidewalk towards the school. If she was stuck waiting for another hour she might as well get something to drink. Normally she wouldn’t bother but with the series of events from the day she thought a little sugar high was earned and due.

The line of vending machines next to the posters and bulletin boards were a welcome sight to her. As she looked over her choices, trying to decide between a grape or orange she heard a familiar pair of voices.

“No. She hasn’t said a word.” Gunn’s voice was coming closer and she frantically looked for a place to duck into when she heard the answering words.

“But you’re sure she’s planning to go?” Spike asked as he stepped up to the machine dispensing juices and slid in a bill.

Buffy hid around the edge of a tower covered in papers advertising everything from used couches and books to employment opportunities. She tried to appear as though she was looking over the adds while passers by gave her funny looks.

She peeked around the edge to see the two men’s backs.

“We’re all meeting up at her place. Xander’s doing the designated driver thing. It‘s all worked out.”

Spike made his choice and waited for the thud of the plastic bottle dropping into the shoot. “I just hope I’m not making a bloody fool of myself. “ He said as he grabbed the tomato juice from the opening of the vending machine and popped the top taking a large gulp.

Gunn didn’t see what the big deal was. “She’s single, you’re single. You like her and from the way she’s been acting the last few days my guess is the feeling’s mutual.” Quite frankly after he thought about it, a lot of things made more sense. Like her interest in Spike’s girlfriend and wanting to invite him over. Not big things really but a lot of other little things that added up to a simple conclusion. There was really no doubt the feeling was mutual.

Buffy watched as the pair walked away, now discussing when Spike would show up and Buffy walked hurriedly back to the bench at the bus stop. Sure there was a wait but she could deal with it. She had happy thoughts to keep her busy.

Grinning now with a dreamy look on her face Buffy shuffled through the case on Willow’s lap grabbing a dark shade of red. The maroon was applied evenly and with a light dab of a tissue Buffy smiled back at the overall look she’d managed.

Willow looked up at the smoky eyes and the glint within them. “Well you certainly seem to be preparing to appreciate something.” She said with a little giggle in her tone.

Yeah the look was a little further than the blonde would usually take it, but somehow getting ready for someone in particular had brought it out of her. There was just one small problem.

She quirked her head at the clone. Her eyes traveling over her face to her neatly curled tresses and immediately began plucking the carefully pinned curls from her head.

“Buffy? What are you doing?” Willow asked wide eyed and a little frantic. The hair had taken them nearly an hour alone.

When the locks were free she ran her fingers through the curls separating them, leaving them waving and whirling down her back. She took some time to fluff out a few errant hairs but in the end she preferred the wild look that added to her red leather pants and black crisscross halter.

Maybe Willow was at least half right. She wasn’t so much getting ready to appreciate something, so much as preparing to be appreciated.

A slow smile spread across her face

OK, she was definitely planning to do some appreciating as well.

~~`~~

Gunn leaned against the wall just outside Spike’s bathroom trying to hold in his laughter. “You’re sure about this?”

Spike looked over his shoulder, sparing a glance for his friend while he contemplated his look. It was a bold choice, and he knew it. Something he’d never had dared try to pull off in LA, but Spike was still working on which rules to break. Not all of them had to be between good and bad. Some were more serious undertakings. Major life changes to be carefully scrutinized and studied before a final decision could be made.

He left the top two buttons lying open and judged the effect again for himself. What he wore tonight was heavily influenced by a few moments as he drove Buffy back from class the first time. That was the day the sky couldn’t decide between snow or rain once speech session was over, the day with her computer and he with an ironing board.

Those ridiculous demonstration speeches still gave him a laugh. But after all was said and done that day was one of the few days he could recall her revealing a few preferences she had on his look. Although it was a sideways compliment wrapped in a mild joke.

That weather had in many ways been a godsend. At least as far as he was concerned. Even if it did render the gel in his hair useless, because that day after they scrambled through the water falling from the sky he had tried to brush off the wet and snow from his hair only to leave his hair in a mess of curls.

And then she said something so offhandedly he had dismissed it at the time. After all, he was fully aware that Buffy had no interest in him, couldn’t possibly have meant anything by it. But in a new light there seemed to be a hidden meaning to the simple, “You know, the wet look suits you. Now all you need is one of those freshly pressed dress shirts and you’re all set.”

He had smirked at her and quickly turned the key to get the heater running. Never giving it a second thought. That was until he got home about an hour ago and stood before the mirror wet with his platinum curls going which ever way they wished.

Granted, he felt a little ridiculous after using his gel, not to tame his wild mop, but to help maintain his hair’s haphazard design. And the smooth black rayon of his shirt seemed too light against his skin, but after all he had a reason to change things up a bit. “Sure may be too strong a word.” Spike admitted to his friend. “But worth a try, I‘m hoping.”

~~`~~

He was at it again. That was all Buffy could think as she watched her friend staring down a brunette sitting at a table sipping on a wine cooler. The very same brunette with the very same tattooed boyfriend shooting pool just 2 tables away.

“Xander, you’re really going to have to do something about that eye problem.” She said so him while Gunn set himself up for a shot at their table.

He was smitten though, hardly hearing her comment. “Yeah, good idea.” He nodded and kept staring.

“Xander.” Willow gave him a harsh whisper that still didn’t catch his attention.

The girls shared a rolling of the eyes before Buffy took another sip of her cola followed by. “I guess I’ll just put my shirt back on then.”

That had Xander whipping his head around at breakneck speed. “What?”

“It’s your shot, man.” Gunn came up to the group standing around one of the tall tables scattered around the area for the players.

The lost look on Xander’s face left slowly as he tried to figure out what he’d missed, but he stood and ambled his way to the table before deciding on his shot.

“What’s up with him?” Gunn asked and settled his que against the table’s edge lightly.

“Leggy brunette, far corner.” Oz answered nodding is head in the direction of said female.

Gunn took a quick look and smiled back at the group still minus a Xander taking his shot. “Who? Anya?”

“So that’s my girl’s name?” Xander asked and nodded to Buffy. “Your shot.”

Buffy quickly grabbed her stick and looked over the situation of the colored spheres spotting the green felt of the surface while continuing with the conversation. “Well ‘your girl’ still has a hulk following her around.”

Gunn chuckled at that. “Frank? Yeah he’s big, but not that bright. Still, he’s a good guy. Just overprotective about family.”

Xander took a glance back at his girl still sitting alone while a group of men along with Frank played their game. “What do you mean, family?”

“She’s his baby cousin.” Gunn clarified. “Kind of all the family they have left here in town.”

“So, the question is, is she single?” Xander asked, a hopeful look in his eyes.

“Far as I know.” Gunn told him. “I haven’t really talked to her since last semester but I think with ‘Olaf’ around all the time, guys jut don’t have the nerve to talk to her.” He nodded back at the single occupant at the table.

Xander took an extra long drink of his beer, finishing it off and followed it with a deep breath. “Well, maybe I can fix that.”

Everyone gave him a disbelieving look, even Oz.

He took little notice and stood up before heading towards the lonely woman.

With no discretion whatsoever all eyes remained on the young man as he walked with what he hoped was confidence to Anya who only just noticed his approach before setting her drink down and smiling.

The audience watched on while Xander talked to her, pointing to the pool tables and then to her drink. Anya nodded and smiled and Xander pulled a seat up next to hers before sitting down.

“Looks like she doesn’t mind the company.” Willow commented as Anya smiled again and laughed at something Xander had said.

Buffy watched, a little jealous that is seemed so easy for everyone else. Willow met Oz and BAM, it was love. Xander walks up to a random female, tells a joke and gets to talk to his dream girl. And here she was just waiting.

It grated on her nerves.

She checked the neon blue clock on the wall. She had all reason to believe Spike was supposed to show up. She’d heard it for herself but they’d already been playing pool for nearly two hours. Still no sign of her dream guy.

“Well Wills, looks like its you and me against these two jokers.” She said trying to throw on a happy go lucky grin.

They gathered the balls again and the four remaining set up for another game, none of them aware of the pair of eyes staring from the doorway of the game room.

After nearly an hour of staying just inside the main room of the club and lingering at the bar thinking, he’d come to one very clear conclusion. He had absolutely no idea how to approach her.

Leaving secret presents on the doorstep was one thing. Actually facing her was another. It didn’t help matters that she’d obviously dressed to make a man forget how to speak. There was just too much skin exposed for him to keep his mind clear. Especially when she turned her back on him to take a shot at the game. The line of her naked back curving into the low leather that molded to her ass drew his eyes in, while shutting off all logical thought.

So instead he watched her as she smiled and played. Even if she was covered in clothing that begged to be ripped off, she was still the same woman. A light spirit and an easy personality.

It was when she glanced at the clock overhead and frowned that his attitude changed. It was something subtle in her movements as her shoulders fell a little and her smile seemed forced that he started to walk from the doorway and towards the group.

He kept a slow pace over the short distance so the inevitable did happen as Buffy turned to break, que in hand bending low to gain a better view of her target. He stopped short just at her line of sight past the neatly racked setup.

Buffy’s eyes were trained on the white ball as she pulled her hand back with the stick held firmly in hand. She took another confirming look at the triangle’s apex and saw the movement just beyond. She could only see the strong thighs in black denim but she knew in an instant who it was and involuntarily took an extra peek at his groin before quickly straightening and feeling her cheeks heat up.

Bad eyes. Jeez Buffy.

“Hey Spike.” Gunn greeted him with a broad smile.

“Spike?” Willow blurted out and glared at Buffy who was just standing there holding the que. Realizing that Buffy was basically stuck, the redhead rushed to her side and gave her a quick elbow to her side.

The blonde jerked as she woke. “Yeah, hey Spike.” She turned swiftly to Willow. “Spike, this is Willow. Willow, this is Spike.” She sputtered out in jerky syllables.

With the open grin all received Willow smiled. “Hiya.” She gave him a little wave.

“Red.” He nodded.

Oz came up beside his girl. “Oz here.”

Spike gave him a nod as well and turned to Gunn, still quite proud of himself for getting this far. “Got room for another player?”

Willow suddenly blurted out. “I want to dance. I think dancing is good. Oz want to dance?” She had obviously had either too much alcohol or too much caffeine.

Buffy turned at the strange declaration. After all they had just decided on another game. Plus Willow was giving Oz strange looks that closely resembled pleading. Buffy quirked her head to the side trying to figure out what was wrong with her best friend.

“I-I guess.” He answered confused and staring back at the bouncing database designer. No sooner had he answered then he felt Willow grab hold of his arm and coaxed him away.

He tried to give the others parting words, but all he managed was. “Dancing.”

“That was weird.” Buffy remarked as she watched the pair disappear into the crowd.

Neither Spike or Buffy noticed Gunn checking the time while gulping down the dregs of his screwdriver. “Well I’ve got to head off.” He announced still mid-swallow.

“What?” Both blondes glared at him in an instant.

It was all Gunn could do not to comment on the matched looks of horror staring at him. “I’m meeting up with someone by the computers in about 5. Sorry.” He shrugged and took off leaving Buffy holding the que alone.

All Spike could say was, “That blightly bugger.”

She shifted the wood in her hands not quite sure what to make of what happened and quietly plotting slow deaths to all of her friends, because she had a pretty good idea of why everyone suddenly ran.

She looked back up at the object of nearly every lusty thought her mind had conjured in the last year and tried to smile. She looked him over again then, and realized that he looked somehow different before she realized he was different.

Subtle changes, but noticeable as she genuinely smiled at the mop on his head. Messy and sexy as hell. That, and also the duster was gone tonight, but then again so was his usual T. Instead the shining black fabric of his button down was left a little open a the top revealing a hint of his muscular chest.

This only reminded her of what he looked like greasy and sweaty and shirtless.

She felt her face heat up and had to blink a few times before she remembered where she was. She was in trouble, but it was the kind of trouble she’d been hoping for.

~~`~~

Gunn caught up with Willow and Oz just past the arch into the main floor. “You think they caught on?”

“I’m pretty sure we are in a lot of trouble.” Willow said now a little worried.

“Buffy’s pretty smart.” Oz nodded.

Gunn looked past them towards the line of computers to see his date smiling shyly. “Yeah well, someone had to do something.” He took a few steps away from the redhead duo really not paying them much heed. “Speaking of which, I’ve got a little something to work out of my own.” And with that he left them with a wide grin.

Willow watched as he strode to a familiar woman with long brown hair, though she couldn’t remember where she’d seen the woman before. With a little frown she turned back to her boyfriend. “When he called earlier I thought he wanted to do this for Buffy and Spike. You don’t think he just set that up for his own kissy plans? Do you?”

Oz leaned in and gave her a soft kiss to the corner of her down turned lips. “Maybe it was a little of both.”

~~`~~

Spike strode up towards her, forcing himself to approach her. After all, she was why he was here. “I suppose that just leaves us.” He said in broken voice. He tried not to stare at her, but was failing miserably.

She swallowed hard. “Us?”

He was coming closer. Much closer than was necessary just to converse. And of course, just for added kick he had to be giving her that half hidden smile.

“For a game?” He said too busy trying to shield his own nerves to see hers. “If you still wanted to play that is?” He stopped in front of the pool table, pretending to chose one of the que sticks that had been left behind by her friends.

The thing was, playing pool was the last thing she felt like doing. And why did he have to have this effect on her all the time? Sometime lust was debilitating.

She watched him as he tested out a few of the well shaped and balanced pieces of wood. His fingers ran along each carved length before he rolled them one at a time back and forth. Then he lifted one, testing its weight. He seemed to be taking his time.

She had to swallow again, watching his fingers play and test while she remembered a particular dream involving his fingers playing with her.

“Actually, I’m not really in the mood for pool anymore.” She blurted out, her breath hitching when she realized she’d spoke out loud.

He turned to her, head cocked to the side. “Well then, luv, what are you in the mood for?”

“Such a loaded question.” She mumbled shaking her head and looking down. Even with the knowledge that he was here in the hopes of seeing her didn’t help to lessen the fear she had. Her very bones seemed to vibrate with her nervousness.

Spike had heard her though, and despite his own trepidation he took a few steps forward and took the que she was twisting within her fingers from her. She looked up as he set it aside just in time for the gentle kiss against her surprised lips.

It was soft, and sweet yet mirrored so much of her own unleashed questions and need. A whirl of emotions spiraled through her body through such a simple and seemingly innocent gesture. The sheer enjoyment of finally getting that taste made her dizzy and only unleashed the deeper desires she’d tried so hard to hide.

When he pulled back she opened her eyes wide, still unsure if what had happened was real or not. “Was that-” He seemed to study her. “Was that alright?”

She nodded dumbly for a second completely unable to process what had happened. She stared up into his bluer than blue eyes and saw for the first time a mirrored image in the shining surface.

She not only saw a tiny image of herself, but the look of his eyes and for the first time she realized that he was just as scared as she.

Her head was still nodding her acceptance of his short kiss, then shook her head to the negative, now turning her lips into a small pout.

His face was crestfallen as he watched her change her mind. “Oh.” He said now feeling like the fool he had feared he would be. He turned away from her.

She smiled a little at him and reached up to place her hand gently on his cheek. She slowly turned him back to face her. “I just meant, you stopped before I was done.”

A crease formed between his brows as he soaked in her words. Then he promptly smiled and took her in his arms before kissing her thoroughly.

This time he was determined not to hold back. If she was going to allow him the opportunity, then he was finally going to know how she would feel and taste.

He took her lips with authority, now more confident that she didn’t object to the attention. Each smooth pass of her soft lips had him on edge. He couldn’t get close enough to her like this. He was begging internally for some sign the he was granted entrance as he suckled on her swollen mouth.

The moment came when a small sigh sounded from her, giving him the space to slip his tongue within her heated cavern. She didn’t miss a beat quickly entangling him in a battle of want and waiting.

Ages passed in the noisy room while people walked by, some ignoring or giggling at the couple who obviously were in need of a room. Others gawked and cat called. By the time they pulled apart nearly all eyes were attempting to appear as though they hadn’t been observing the passion on display.

Now trying to catch her breath Buffy stared up into those blue eyes looking down on her like she was the gift sent down from a dream.

“Bit better then?” He asked with half a smile.

“Much.” She couldn’t help but agree a little out of breath. “But you know what they say about practice.” She slid her hands up from his chest and over his shoulders to hold him just that much closer.

As she looked over his smiling face she remembered there was still one nagging question she just had to ask. “Spike, just how old are you anyway?”

He pulled back slightly to take a cleared look at her face, concerned his answer may alter the situation in a bad way. What he saw was simple curiosity, so he answered her. “26,why?”

She thought for a moment before nodding. “ No reason, just wondering.” And she pulled him back down for another kiss.


Chapter End Notes:
I hope that was a better effort. I never really cared for the way the ending read, and now I'm a bit happier but still had more to add so... NEXT