Author's Chapter Notes:
OK, I can take a hint. LoL, I am just plain giddy with the reviews and since all asked for more well, how can I say no?

Classes start next week so I'm gonna try to get as much up on the other 2 as well before then.
~The end of the following summer~

Buffy leaned in close to the bathroom mirror as she applied the mascara to her eyelashes. Silently she wondered to herself something her sister had asked her when the squirt was around 10. Buffy had been performing the same act she as she readied for school that day.

“Why do we open our mouths to put on mascara?” She asked her reflection once she was done with her artwork and shrugged with the lack of response.

She felt good, light like a weight had been lifted.

The pop station on the radio played one of the latest and greatest hits that held an easy rhythm she found herself dancing to while she added the final touches to her look. She was going for what Xander liked to call, ‘smoking‘ hot‘. It was funny, the first time she and her little cyber-crew went out. Poor Xander had nearly fallen over.

It wasn’t really her fault. Her college gear, namely jeans and T-shirts, were all anyone had ever seen her dress in. A sloppy ponytail atop her head, and she rarely bothered with makeup on most days. After all, who was she trying to impress? No one. So her friend hadn’t really been prepared for ‘Dressed up Buffy’

It was at the end of the summer semester though now, marking yet another core of classes accomplished. Or class, in this case.

The previous semester she had finally made some good friends with whom she had something in common.

It was hard being the only female CIT (Computer Information Technology) major that she knew of in the entire school. The guys were always great in her computer oriented classes, but once the lesson was over the acquaintances just didn’t seem to last.

So when Xander somehow ended up in her Network Server class, they made quick work of sharing a workspace, glad to recognize a familiar face. He came over twice during Spring Break with another guy who was now very familiar, Oz. His red hair was the only loud thing about him, but he was a genius, literally. There was a test, but he wouldn‘t say anything more about it.

Oz, quiet as he was, was great. There was an easy calm that seemed to hover around him. He was in a part time band, which translated to the band hanging out in a garage messing around but with no real ambition. He laughed the first time he told her that. Or at least she thought there was a laugh. His lips moved for sure.

Which contrasted Xander’s over the top actions well. She could see why they got along. And as they met in a Network Security class Buffy thought for sure he was yet another comrade in Geekdome. Turns out he was a Liberal Arts major and just thought the class sounded fun.

About mid-semester while Buffy was heading towards the bus stop on a particularly sun shiny day, she heard her name being called and turned to find a very unexpected, but completely welcome sight. Willow had come back to Sunnydale.

After much hugging and “Oh my god’s!” The redhead explained how some of her web design work had picked up so she was transferring back home to take some more classes and freshen up her resume.

Not two weeks later, Willow and Oz met and about 2 days after that they were inseparable.

So that was her little group of fun people. Herself, the hardware geek, Xander the Networking geek, Willow the database and webpage designer, and Oz who seemed to pick up on anything he put his mind to.

She fluffed her hair out as she scrutinized her reflection, it’d grown over the months and she’d let it. There were waves that she’d arranged in purposeful disarray. Her black halter wrapped around her snugly while her black jeans hugged her hips flaring at the bottom, showing just the tip of her leather booted feet.

This would do.

With a playful kiss at the woman smiling back on the mirror, Buffy flipped the bathroom light switch off and headed back to her room to double check everything.

“ID in back pocket, got it.” She said to no one sliding the little card into place. “Forty five bucks in the front pocket.” Her purse was flung to the bed after she grabbed the two twenties and the five dollar bill. “Cell phone, other front pocket.” She thanked her brilliant mind for deciding on the slim version of the communication convenience. This little baby wouldn’t mess up the smooth lines of her carefully chosen outfit. “And last but not least, house key.”

She spun around eyeing the corners of her room. “Which would be somewhere.” She spun again trying to figure out where she’d set her keys last time she’d come inside. “In the house, I hope.”

She headed down the steps only to spy them sitting on the small table right by the door. “Thank goodness.” She sighed and quickly took the house key off the ring before sliding it in the same pocket as her cell, feeling it drop to the very base of the pocket safe and snug.

She checked the clock hanging on the wall in the front room and noticed her ride would be here any second. With a quick run through the house she made sure the lights were out and the back door was firmly latched and locked.

She was heading towards the lamp on the table by the couch when she heard the familiar car pulling up. It rumbled in need of a new muffler almost as much as it needed an oil change and possibly a new engine while we’re at it.

She decided to just leave the lamp on to make it look like she wasn’t leaving her home empty and defenseless before flipping the switch on for the porch light. She stepped out to see Xander’s car packed at the curb.

The poor coupe was rusted and the paint which had at one time been either blue or green, had flaked off more of the metal than it covered. The engine was running on a hope and a prayer as well, but she was in no position to judge, nope. No car having Buffy was just glad not to be riding the bus.

“Come on Buffy!!” She heard her friends calling while she studied the stars and remembered the last time she’d really been glad to avoid the bus. She shook her head at the memory of the old Desoto and locked the door before walking to the car and climbing into the passenger seat.

Willow started talking from behind her immediately. “Can you believe we made it through Summer classes?”

“Yes Miss 4.0. I can believe it.” Buffy stuck her tongue out and teased her best friend.

In truth they were all proud of themselves. Buffy had taken it easy and just gone on and finished her Sociology requirement. It had been interesting and she’d enjoyed the material.

Xander decided it was time he completed his math requirement and was beyond happy to be done with it.

Oz and Willow had taken an advanced graphics course, both glad that they had been able to work on projects together.

Now, however, was the time to party, celebrate and let it all go. They had three weeks before the fall semester and with the exception of some part time work, they were free.

Xander wove through town with ease, this time of night it was the students that ran the place. Clubs and concerts were what set this side of the little burg apart and it was no secret why the college was barely a mile from the biggest party spot in town.

Before they knew it the car was parked in front of their favorite place to dance and relax; The Cypher Café.

Willow had found it on accident the day she came back to Sunnydale. She needed a wi-fi connection and fast so after misreading the blue neon sign she walked in to find a huge dance floor and lines of bottles against one wall. After a quick glance around she made a mental note of the establishment.

Now it was the place they went whenever they had a chance.

Despite the poor coincidence in the name, the place was amazing. The layout was simple on paper, the main area had a huge dance floor with a stage for live bands up front. To the left was another are with a smaller dance floor but still loads of room and along one wall was a line of computers for the use of anyone. And just beyond that was the game room with pool tables and various video games.

Once Willow told the group about it and they’d gone, it was home. It had a feeling like The Bronze had when Willow and she were younger. It was familiar and safe, but without all those pesky teenagers. It was perfect for the 21 and over crowd, which they were.

The four lined up like everyone else did outside waiting for entrance. Buffy plucked out her ID and held it out while she smiled at the very large hulk of a man wearing a black shirt that read “Security” across his chest. After he waved her in she paid the five dollar cover and followed the men with Willow just behind her.

The main room was packed to the hilt with bouncing bodies moving to the overwhelming sound of a dance beat that she could not only feel through the soles of her feet. She felt it as the tiny hairs on her arm seemed to shake from the vibrations.

But this wasn’t where they came to hang out.

With careful maneuvering and well placed “excuse me’s” from the eyelash batting girls, the quartet pushed through to the smaller dance area and the computers.

There were less bodies there so all four took a moment to take a deep breath and try to get the smell of suffocation out of their noses. “What do you say we pick up some liquid energy before we head out?” Xander motioned to the bar directly ahead.

The others nodded and they all placed their orders. “I’ve got this round.” Buffy announced and pulled a 20 out, leaving it all for the waitress so she could keep the change.

After a quick sip of her Coke she eyed their destination and began through the light crowd of people. They followed knowing where the blonde was headed.

They didn’t even bother with the computer space. These things had nothing to offer, public computers were just set up for chatting and online games. Much too kindergarten for this bunch.

Instead they were going to the game room.

The music still blared but it was a low hum in the back room. On the furthest wall was a huge screen playing the latest sport event with the volume muted so as not to disturb the plinks and clanks and clicks of the gamers.

There was an empty table sitting between the pool tables lined up on the right and the video games on the left so they settled in to wait for a free space to play.

Buffy was keeping her eyes on a racing game she always enjoyed while Xander and Oz were busy discussing the need for a good game of pool. Willow sat sipping her pink concoction while her eyes darted around the room trying to decide what to do first.

Finally it was decided, pool now, video games later.

~~`~~

Buffy was waiting for Oz to take his shot at the 8 ball. For some reason the game was taking longer than usual. She suspected it had to do with her partner’s complete inability to stop staring at the leggy brunette one table over.

“Xander, why don’t you just ask her if you can get her a drink.” She hissed at him while leaning against her cue.

He smiled at the unknown woman a table away, who happened to look over at just that moment. Xander swiftly spun so he was no longer facing the beauty and answered in a hushed tone. “Because, her very tattooed boyfriend is playing pool right next to us.”

Buffy looked over and sure enough there was a jean-vest no-shirt-having tattooed guy. She rolled her eyes and shook her head before speaking to Xander again. “Then why are you looking at her like that?”

He flailed his arms out and tried to stay quiet when he squeaked. “Well look at her!”

Oz came up beside them with Willow happily swinging her stick side to side. “Game’s over.” Oz told them.

“We won.” Willow giggled and set her pool cue on the table.

“Whoa!!!” The crowd behind them all called drawing their attention.

A large group of people was surrounding Buffy’s favorite game, and something major seemed to be going on. Without a word to her friends she set her cue aside. She headed towards the group and used her best “I’m a helpless little girl” smile to work her way up to the front.

The seats of the four player game were filled and the scenery on the screens was screaming by. She watched the screens, each separately, until she could figure out who the leader was. He was the guy right in front of her, only 1.04 seconds ahead of the next car in line. They were running a track four times around and were apparently on the last half of the final lap.

She winced and heard another round of “Whoa” when the leader rammed into the wall and the third driver snuck around the second to take over first while the previous leader was left in last place.

And it was over.

Damn that just sucked, but that’s why she liked the racing games, one false move and the lineup could all change fast. The man in fourth got up and the three remaining seated called out looking for an opponent.

With a gleam in her eye Buffy stepped up and took the vacant seat.

The crowd got quiet and she heard a few snickers from some of the people gathered.
The seat she had was on the far right end and the three players, all men, leaned forward to get a better look at the blonde bombshell dressed like a wet dream. “What?” She asked innocently looking back.

The boy next to her was barely legal, she could see that from the light acne still sprinkled along his cheeks. He was giving her a shy smile. “Are you sure you want to race?”

“Oh yeah,” She said nodding vigorously before she reached in her pocket and pulled out her only other bill. “Crap.” She whispered again and smiled back at the young man. “But I don’t have change.”

The money was snatched out of her hand and she heard Willow yell “On it!” Apparently Willow had used her charms to work through the rowdy crowd as well.

“It’s ok.” Buffy heard from the far left end as another of her opponents talked across the isle. “I needed to stretch anyway.” The other brunette mocked them all. “This winning streak is really starting to give me a leg cramp.” He twisted in his seat and moved what limbs he could without standing.

Unimpressed, she sat back in her seat as the words “Coming through, coming through!” were being repeated. Buffy soon had a lump of quarters in her hand and hoped that Willow hadn’t really gone and changed her entire 20 dollars to quarters. With a sigh she looked back at the line of guys. “Ok, all set.” And dropped 4 quarters into the slot.

The obnoxious boy at the end said something she couldn’t understand, then pressed his red button, indicating he was ready to start.

The boy next to her leaned over and pointed at her steering wheel trying to explain the switch just under her thumb. “Just remember, the right hand is your NOS, it gives your car a burst of speed. Ok?”

She nodded, thinking that he was a sweet kid while he also explained where the emergency break was and that she had to remember to chose between manual and automatic before she pressed the red button to start.

“Thanks.” She said meaning it.

“Why don’t you tell her all the shortcuts too while your at it?” The fella at the end complained.

“Yeah, it’s- you shouldn’t- she should figure it out herself.” The curly haired dark blonde finally spit out from between the two brunettes.

Buffy rolled her eyes and set up her game station for Automatic Transmission before pressing the red button and flipping her hair out of the way.

She eyed the man furthest from her, the countdown beeping almost immediately from 5. “Are you done talking?” She asked and heard the beep counting 3 seconds. “Or can we race now?” She finished and looked back at her monitor, foot already pressed down on the gas, just in time to hear the last second beep away. The digital smoke raised from under all four car’s squealing tires and in an instant she was taken into the game.

It was about halfway through the second lap when the shift in the onlookers started. Declarations of “Damn” and “Did you see that?” were coming from behind her seat. This only made her smile even wider. She really loved the game, maybe because she seriously couldn’t drive in real life. Also, it helped that she was excellent at it.

“What the-?”

That was the obnoxious wacko at the end. He was none to pleased with how the race was going. Every time he was right on the ass of her car, she gained momentum and he seemed to spin out directly after.

“She’s doing that thing again.” Willow held onto her boyfriend’s hand as they watched Buffy’s car seemingly glide over hills and around corners like magic.

“Yup.” Oz agreed.

Xander took a pull from his beer and kept an eye on guy on the end who kept giving his smiling carefree blonde pal evil glares between driving. “You know what this means?”

“The earth is spinning?” Willow offered sarcastically.

Xander had to concede her that one. “Well, yes, but also that someone is going to be an upset camper when this is over.”

“There is that.” Oz said when the crowd let out a resounding “Yeah!”

The three shared a look and Xander set down his drink before they began pushing to the front to stand by their friend.

As predicted, Buffy was smiling like a loon with the reigning champ’s car close on her tail. She saw a glint of red hair in the corner of her eye and chirped out. “Hey guys. What’s up?”

“Just watchin’ the races Buffster.” Xander answered, keeping his eye on the main contender on the end.

“Cool.” Buffy spun her wheel hard and tapped the break just enough to ram and spin out the second car without loosing too much momentum during a turn before she laid on the last of her NOS and she was over the finish line in a breath.

The boys in the middle passed as second and third a millisecond apart and last place was taken by the now red faced former ruler of the game.

“What the hell was that?” He yelled in is seat. “I demand a rematch!” He yelled at her.

“Those aren’t the rules.” The guy next to her spat back.

“He’s right.” A voice in the crowd agreed. “Got to vacate your seat, mate.”

All at once Buffy’s blaring grin fell with sudden recognition of the voice.

Her eyes widened and her grip on the steering wheel became fierce. “No way.” She whispered to herself before turning to see who had spoken. After all, there were loads of British men roaming around Sunnydale. At least two that she knew of for sure.

Could be Mr. Giles.

She peeked around her seat and scanned the faces in the crowd hoping beyond hope to not see him. It was bad enough she knew that this moment would now ensure he would plague her thoughts again. Last time she swore she’d seen him, the dreams lasted 2 full weeks.

Oz was standing in her line of sight so she motioned for him to move and once he did he tried to see what she was looking at. Her other friends followed suit and before she knew it, everyone was checking to see what she was staring at, even her fellow players.

Spike stood there seemingly unchanged. Even though it was summer the duster still hung from his shoulders, and he was still covered head to toe in black with stark white hair slicked back atop his head. He soon noticed everyone was staring his way. “Well it’s the rules, right?” He said, a little uncomfortable under the crowd’s scrutiny.

A split second later the moment was over and the loosing man stumbled out of his spot like a child throwing a tantrum. “Fine!”

“Warren, don’t be like that.” The blonde in the middle ran after him whining.

“Oh here we go again.” The last of the guys groaned and stood up, turning to Buffy. “It really was a great race, Thanks.” He gave her a glimpse of a smile and trudged off.

Buffy looked back at the three empty places and giggled. “Well I didn’t mean to make them all leave.” She briefly forgot about her near encounter with Spike. “Just the rude one.”

There were a few laughs as one by one the spaces were filled with new player. Buffy wanted to stay but she didn’t want to ditch her friends.

She turned to see the boys racking up at the pool table they had been using. Willow gave her a pleading look.

Buffy took a second glance and saw that Xander was talking with another pair of men, both holding pool sticks. They seemed to be settling in for a game against her male pals. And of course, Willow wanted to go back to the pool area with her favorite guy.

“If you guys don’t mind, I don’t.” Buffy said sincerely.

Willow hugged her quick. “Good luck.” And ran up to cheer for her man.

Buffy looked over to see who had sat down and saw that the seat formerly occupied by the polite kid was now taken up by Spike.

Oh shit.

She quickly turned her head away and eyed the stack of quarters setting next to her unneeded stick shift. Breathing was a challenge as every dirty vision she’d ever had of him immediate assaulted her. Not only was he still great looking but within seconds that unmistakable and it seemed, unforgettable, scent seemed to invade her space.

“Thought that was marvelous. The way you booted that wanker from the game.”

And now he was speaking to her so she picked up her change with determination and deposited another dollar, giving her time to think of something to respond with. “He was an asshole.”

Oh yes, very clever. You must be a great composer of fine sonnets.

“That he was.” He seemed to agree with a light chuckle.

She set her station up to her preferences again and pressed the red button. No one else was ready so that gave her some spare time to look over her shoulder only to see him smiling back.

Crap. Not the smile too!

He didn’t say anything to her. Didn’t ask how she’d been, or what was up? It was like he didn’t even remember her, and here he’d been the star of multiple fantasies. The reason why sometimes when she rode the bus and saw a boat of a black car driving along she had to take a closer look to see who might be driving.

She smiled politely back and heard the countdown begin on the game. She faced her virtual reality and checked the upper corner for the race style. She couldn’t help but grin. It was a favorite with some fun turns through the city. No more boring walls.

She took off, and just like before she zoned into the game.

Things were going great as she steered through the digital streets. She managed to nearly block out the fact that he was seated next to her, distracted by her enjoyment of the twists of the road. Then he started making comments.

“Bloody- It’s hard to make out the road on this thing sometimes.” He said, his entire body bending into the turn he was executing.

She was startled by his voice just enough to miss the timing in the next curve the course took. Her car began to swerve and the onlookers sucked in an audible breath only adding to her distraction.

“’S a close one there.“ He’d apparently seen her waver.

Her zone was gone and she panicked for a split second before she turned her wheel and pressed the brake gently before turning it again and slamming down on the gas. She was going full speed again.

A glance to the right of the screen told her she had fallen to third during that little stunt. Seeing she was nearing the final lap she made a decision and just drove her best, hoping to close the gap.

She was tied with second when the final quarter of the last lap came. In an unprecedented move her car veered off the road, between two buildings and cut up an ally to come out just a turn from the finish line and a full second ahead of all the others.

The crowd went a little crazy then. Clapping and Booing alike sounded out filling the back room, along with some laughing. Then she crossed the checkered finish line and let the wheel go to slump back in her seat. That was a close one, but she had been grinning the whole time.

“That was pretty clever.” He was talking again so she had to be polite and at least make eye contact.

She did, and watched as one of the guys behind Spike switched spots with another. She glanced up at his screen to see he was in second place. “You too. That was some maneuver on the second pass.” She recalled him swerving from a curb at the last second, causing the car behind him to crash and loose time.

He looked at her a bit more carefully then before asking. “I know you, don’t I?

She rolled her eyes, disappointed her earlier conclusion was confirmed. “Yeah, Spike. You used to save me from the torture of waiting for the bus in the only actual winter Sunnydale has seen in a century.”

He leaned back in his seat to look over the woman beside him again. Recognition soon filled his face and he again smiled. “Buffy?”


Chapter End Notes:
Thanks again to everyone for taking the time to let me know you liked Comm 101. If you hadn't I wouldn't have had the fun I did writing this chapter.