Author's Chapter Notes:
I did kinda struggle with this one. My muse was out for ice cream I think but happily I've gotten a good start on the next chapter so all should be well.
“It’s highway robbery! That’s what it is!” Spike shook printed papers in his hand. “Has to be illegal.” He added and again looked over the detailed description of all the parts and labor that would be involved in healing his wounded love.

Charles Gunn drove back towards Spike’s home and felt bad for the guy. If there was one thing the two had in common it was a deep affection for their modes of transportation. Gunn’s truck was his rock, his foundation and an extension of himself that some might find odd.

“And they have to special order the grill.” Spike was still pointing out the injustice of the world while sitting on the passenger‘s side of his friend‘s truck. “How can they get away with it?”

“Supply and demand, man. They’ve got the supplies and you demand to get your car back.” He explained shrugging. “Besides, you’re insured. Once you get past the deductible you’ll be good to go.”

“But it’s going to take 2 bloody weeks to get her running.” He grumbled and crumpled the printed estimate into a ball before throwing the offensive pages to the floor.

“Now, I know you are planning to pick that up.” Gunn was eyeing the angry man beside him.

With a lazy nod Spike agreed. “Yeah, I will. But I’m not touching it till we get near a waste bin. I can’t look at the thing anymore.”

“Alright. I guess I can live with that all things considered.” Deciding that letting his friend get what satisfaction he could out of the situation. Still, seeing Spike in this kind of mood was wacked. He was usually so collected.

Well no, he was calm and collected until something riled him up, but that happened so rarely that this side of his pal was strange to see. “At least you know she can be fixed. That’s something.”

“Yeah, I suppose if you feel like looking on the bright side.”

“There you go. Before you-” He was cut off.

Spike glared at Gunn. “In case you haven’t noticed. I’m not really in a cup-half-full sort of mood right now Charlie.”

At that Gunn decided his silence might be the most helpful thing he could give.

There was no music playing. Just the sounds of other cars passing by, and the hum of the truck’s engine as they traveled.

He was being an ass, and he knew it but Spike hardly cared. For one he knew Gunn wouldn’t hold it against him and for another he felt like someone had cut off his feet. Sure he could still get around but it was inconvenient to have to ask for rides to go anyplace.

He liked having his independence and with the absence of a reliable mode of transport he felt he had lost that. Still, Spike did have a friend willing to drag him all over town. “Thanks for the lift over to the shop, mate. Just need to get home and have a few beers to ease the pain is all.”

“I gotcha.” Gunn turned into Spike’s neighborhood. “What about school?”

With a heavy sigh Spike closed his eyes before answering. “I think I’ve got it handled.”

~~`~~

It was another cloudless day with only a hint of a breeze when Buffy walked out of her first class of the new school year. She carried her text and notebook against her chest and headed for the bus stop across campus listening to the chatter of the others as they moved on to their next class or on to their cars.

She smiled and waved at a few familiar people as she walked through the quad. Some she could recall from previous semesters and others she’d met through friends and couldn’t for the life of her remember their name.

It was such a pleasant day she couldn’t help but be in a good mood. The high that came with starting up a new course load was carrying her along towards the marker for her stop.

With a glance at her watch showing that her ride would be there any minute she took a seat on the wood bench placed there for the students who relied on the public transportation system.

She occupied herself with watching cars drive in and out of the campus, peeking inside to see if she knew the drivers or not.

Before long she could hear the diesel engine rumbling towards her so she gathered her books in her arms again and took a few steps forward to wait for the doors of the beast to open and allow her entrance.

She got a look at the bus driver and smiled when she recognized the friendly man behind the wheel. She was just preparing to give him her usual greeting when the doors opened and out walked someone she never could have expected.

“’Lo Buffy.” Spike flashed his warm smile at her and stepped down from the steps of the bus.

Her feet felt glued to her spot as she stared at him, completely unprepared to see him, and here of all places. “Spike?” Her eyes bounced from his face to the bus and back again while a few others filed down the steps. “What are you doing?” Her voice was accusing, although she couldn’t guess why.

He was taken back by her tone but brushed it off. “Was going to class.”

She shook her head still trying to clear her mind. “No, I mean why are you here? On the bus?”

A mist came to his eyes when he answered. “Car’s been busted up. ‘M relegated to finding’ my own way for a few weeks till she’s patched up.”

“Oh jeez, I’m sorry.” She told him sincerely.

He smiled back. “S’all right.” He shrugged.

The people who wanted to depart the bus had and the bus driver was holding the door. “Are you going to be riding with us today, sweetie? Or are you just going to flirt with the boys?”

Her face flushed as she stared back at Lorne, the driver.

“I-I better go. See ya.” She dashed onto the bus so fast Spike was left not quite knowing what had happened. And as the engine growled again the bus pulled away leaving him to wonder what made her run.

The doors were pulled shut behind her and Buffy slid her frequent rider’s pass through the scanner before slipping it into her back pocket. Her books were set on the small shelf behind the driver’s seat of the otherwise empty bus.

Today however, Buffy didn’t take a seat. Instead she stood just behind the yellow line as were the rules. “Well sweet cakes, how was the first day?” The friendly driver asked.

She glowered at him. “It was great till you opened your big mouth.”

With a knowing grin spread on his face Lorne kept his hands on the larger than average steering wheel. “Oh come on, honey. I was only teasing you a little. Besides, I can’t really blame you, he’s a hunk of manly man.”

“More like a hunk of a boyly boy.” She rolled her eyes at her bad joke.

Lorne’s chuckle echoed in the empty bus. “Honey, I don’t know what your requirements for ‘man’ are but that was definitely NOT a boy.”

The bumps of the road caused Buffy to grip the bar overhead to steady herself and gave her a chance to mull over the flamboyant man’s words.

She couldn’t deny that in no way did Spike appear boy-ish. Too much about him screamed to the woman she was that he was most assuredly man shaped. But she just couldn’t reconcile that fact with her eyes ability to gauge she’d seen ten years of life more than Spike had.

She stared out the windshield of the vehicle as Lorne slowed for a woman with a small cart to carry her groceries. Buffy stepped aside as the older woman rolled through the isle just wide enough for the handy trolley.

The grey haired woman settled herself into the first seat and held onto the handle of her cart as Lorne once again headed forward on his route.

Thinking and talking about Spike had taken some of the lightness from her mood and the driver could sense it. “What is it Buffy?

With a heavy breath Buffy decided it couldn’t hurt to get some advice from the friend she’d made over the years of travel. “Lorne, even if there wasn’t probably 10 years difference between us, he’s got this girlfriend. I mean, she’s never here and every time he talks about her its always about some new problem but-” she cut herself off and just looked up at the ceiling before muddling through the rest. “If he wasn’t so sweet and friendly and easy to talk to-”

“You’re forgetting edible.” Lorne added with a knowing look. “Sounds to me like you’ve already decided against the hot pursuit though.”

The grey haired woman, nameless as she was, threw in her two cents as well. “And best she should. A woman has no place coming between a relationship.”

Buffy’s head whipped around to face the accusing elderly lady. There was no malice in the wrinkled face, just wisdom from years so Buffy faced ahead again.

One thing that did bother her about public transportation, it was sometimes a little too public. People inevitably decided that all conversations were up for grabs. Buffy had grown used to it quite some time ago, but it still aggravated her a little. “No, I’ve known him awhile now and managed to do the right thing. It’s just a good thing we don’t see each other much.”

~~`~~

Two days later Buffy found herself sitting at a computer desk to the left of all the students in an intro to micro computing class. She’d gotten lucky with an internship alongside her favorite computer science professor, and the one that had convinced her to pursue her love of computer innards.

Professor Winifred ‘Fred’ Burkle was an energetic woman, the type most people were drawn too simply because of her personality. She loved her job and most of all she enjoyed sharing her obsession with all things related to technology. This not only made the required class easy to bear but interesting.

Buffy listened as Fred went over the syllabus with the class. There were some groans and mild complaints about the heavy course load but because for many of the student this would be their only computer course, Fred was very thorough. “Now I know it sounds like a lot of work, and I won’t lie to ya’, it is, but by the time you leave this class I guarantee you’ll have a very good rudimentary knowledge of how computers, software, networks and media streaming works.”

She’d heard the speech before, but it was a very true promise. Even those who barely scraped by would glean the basics rather they wanted to or not.

Buffy continued setting up the demonstration for the projector hooked up to her laptop while the professor skimmed over the first chapter that would be assigned reading.

When she completed the “Introduction to Hardware” review she smiled at Buffy. “Ms. Summers, could you please bring up the PowerPoint?”

With a click of her mouse a graphic representation of a computer tower, with the sliding side removed, appeared and Fred began to address the class again. She pointed out the devices that allowed a computer to work while explaining their specific duties to the system.

Both women studied the faces of the students while Fred named the components within the technological miracle. Some of the people taking the class looked very confused, others seemed to understand while a couple were just plain bored, obviously already familiar with the information.

Time went by quickly to Buffy, and before she knew it, Fred was offering help to anyone not familiar with the subject while dismissing the class for the day.

As most of the students gathered their things and left a few stragglers stayed behind. Most went to the Ms. Burkle, but one headed for Buffy.

“He-ey, Buffy.” The man smiled and strode towards her confidently.

She had recognized him earlier from her first math course and so she shone him her usual smile as she stood to greet him. “Hi Gunn, I’m surprised to see you here. Shouldn’t you have taken this class your first semester?”

With a chuckle he nodded. “Yeah but I’m a firm believer that the only thing that should involve processors, is my stereo so I procrastinated.”

She shared his laugh. “In other words you were playing Mr. Avoidy and the advisor told you to sign up?”

“You caught me.” He admitted.

“Well don’t worry. Fred is great and if you have any trouble you know who to call.”

He went quiet for a second and shifted the books in his hand. “Well, maybe we can meet up then, because honestly, I didn’t understand half of the introduction.”

Nodding, Buffy looked up at the clock. “Well I have bout 2 hours before my class starts, if your free now?”

“Really?” His chocolate eyes were positively gleeful. “I might have a chance at passing the class after all.”

She clicked the computer, setting it to sleep and locking it from interlopers while she answered. “Yeah, let me make sure Fred doesn’t need me anymore today, then we can head to the caf.”

~~`~~

Spike listened to the ringing of the phone through the receiver, fully expecting to leave yet another message on Dru’s machine when finally someone picked up. “Yeah?” the annoyed voice called out.

Spike was momentarily stunned at the sound of the unfamiliar male voice. “Uh, yeah, Dru there?”

There was a clanking as the phone was obviously set down on a table so Spike waited and listened to what he could over the open line. He could hear the heavy thud of footsteps. Male footsteps, as they got further away.

“I don’t know who it is.” Followed by. “Fine.” The words also coming from out of the living room Dru’s phone sat. Soon after, the thudding steps drew louder just before the phone was clumsily picked up again.

“Sorry man, she’s not here.” The man said flatly.

Spike took his phone from his ear and stared at it even more confused than before. Cursing under his breath he once again brought the phone to his ear. “When she gets back,” He said nearly seething. “Let ‘er know Spike called.”

“Pike?” The voice asked.

“No, mate. Spike. There’s a bloody S at the beginning!”

“Yeah sure.” and the line went dead.

Dumbfounded, Spike stared at his open books beside him. He’d started on the reading for class but now he was in no mood to do the required reading. In fact the last thing he wanted to do was stay put, but currently having no vehicle, he was stuck.

He closed his mobile before the need to rip it in half took over and stared across at the blank screen of the television.

Emasculated and feeling dejected, he decided on a course of action. If all else failed in life he could throw in a good game on his gaming system and pretend to pummel things. So that’s what he did.

An hour later and countless kills later on his favorite hand to hand combat simulation he still felt boiling over. There was simply no excuse for Dru’s disappearing act. And having strange men blow him off was even worse.

He glared at his cell phone, that unfamiliar voice echoing in his head. “Bloody bitch.” He told his phone while his mind came up with reasons any man would be at her apartment.

Now growling, he snatched the phone up fully prepared to break it in his hands when the techno ring sounded and Dru was clearly displayed on the caller ID.

Anxiety filled him as he quickly answered. “Dru?”

“Of course my prince.” She cooed softly. “Have you missed princess?”

As quickly as it had come, his anger faded with the sound of her voice. “Of course I have sweetheart. Where have you been?”

He heard light laughter come from her. “Why, to gather treats for the party of course.”

Now he was confused again. “Party?”

“Of course.”

“What are we celebrating, my sweet?”

“Your homecoming of course. This weekend.”

He shook his head, despite her inability to see him. “Luv, I’ve already told you I won’t be able to visit this weekend. The car, pet. It’s in the shop. Remember?”

“Oh yes, I know. But that doesn’t mean I can’t have my party.” Her happy voice began to aggravate him.

“Bit pointless to have a homecoming if no one is coming home though, isn’t it?” He asked before adding. “I thought you’d like to come back here again. You and I, alone for two days wearing nothing but bed sheets.” He purred at her with a lusty twinkle in his eyes.

She whimpered. “But I’ve already invited everyone, the plans were made before you decided not to visit your princess.”

Now the anger was beginning again. “I didn’t decide, the accident decided for me.”

She didn’t seem to even hear his words. “I’ve already gotten the party favors and cakes. Oh, and lovely streamers. The will drip like blood all around. It’ll be a sight.”

“But luv,” He began again only to hear her go on.

“It will be a shame. I suppose you will have to wait for your surprise.”

Closing his eyes in hopes of composing himself, Spike took a cleansing breath. He rubbed his face, now aggravated but knew her mind was made up. “S’all right. You enjoy your friends. You can give me my surprise another week, yeah?”

“Sweet Spike. You’re always so good to me.” Dru purred before the line went dead.

Eyes shut as he layback against the worn cushions of his couch Spike tried to keep his rage at bay. Something was going on in LA, something he had no way to stop or get proof of, all because his bloody car was damaged, probably in pieces on some dingy floor.

She was throwing a party, knowing Dru that meant lots of booze. And she mentioned party favors. That meant an array drugs along with paraphernalia. And she probably did go out and buy a soddin cake.

So maybe he was glad he wasn’t going to be there, but who was the man that belonged to the voice. It sounded pretty far from the living room. Too far to be the kitchen. If he had to guess he’d bet on the bedroom, but why would some man be in Dru’s bedroom when she was out.

And if she wasn’t out, there was only one reason his mind could consider that a man would be in her room. And he didn’t like it. In fact he despised that thought nearly enough to call Gunn and ask for a ride to LA. He’d offer him a hundred dollars, two if he had to.

He picked up the controller again and started another game, this time slaughtering any opponent with a viciousness that was causing the molded plastic in his hands to creak and crack as he put all his pent up anger into the press of the buttons and the manipulation of the joystick.

He moved his hand and fingers as quickly as he could, yelling at the unfortunate foe to “Die you fucker!!” and “That’s right, take it! Take it!”

Three rounds later he felt marginally better and had broken the controller clean in half.

~~`~~

It was comfy time for Buffy. After a hard day of classes and interning along with a little tutoring she’d earned the cotton shorts and tank top not to mention her piggy faced slippers. All very important items for studying.

Studying was exactly what she was set up for with books laying across the coffee table as she lounged against the couch. She had the syllabus laying out beside her with her notebook loosely held on one hand.

Unfortunately very little studying was getting done, as her other hand held her cordless phone to her ear. Her laughter echoed against the walls of the otherwise empty house. “I know. The reading is impossible. One second they are explaining ideas with words like Econometrics and the next thing its all about Suzie and how to sell five apples.” Buffy again scanned her notes. “I can’t tell if I’m in third grade math or Econ 101.”

Gunn was glad to be able to help. In fact he was waiting for the other shoe to drop. Things seemed to be working out great and he almost hated to jinx his run of luck… almost. “Well then it’s a deal. You help me figure out the difference between a monitor and a power cord, I’ll explain Opportunity Cost. Maybe we can meet up tomorrow, around 7?” And he wasn’t sure if he wanted her to notice it was dinner time, perfect date time, or not.

Without missing a beat, but entirely missing the implications, Buffy answered. “Alright, but do you think you could pick me up from school. I’ve got class till 6:45, and I’m gonna be starving. We could eat, and consume knowledge.” She said it with such a cheeriness, not at all realizing that she’d added to one of the most oddly perfect days Charles Gunn had ever had.

Somewhere in the back of his mind, Gunn had this nagging feeling things were going entirely too easily. “Yeah that works out fine with me. I’ll just see you after class then?” He half expected her to tell him it was all a joke and he was on his own. As a matter of fact, she wouldn’t want to spend any more time around him than she had to.

“Great.” She smiled, now looking forward to seeing Gunn but knowing she really needed to get some of her class work done. With a sigh she decided she better cut the call short. “I guess if you’re going to help me out, I probably better take another shot at the reading.”

“Good idea.” She heard him agree.

“Alright. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“See ya.”

She smiled at no one and hung up the phone. Buffy was pretty sure she noticed a little something extra in Gunn’s friendship. The call started about a RAM question and ended with him offering a trade for regular tutoring that somehow ended up as a dinner which seemed more date-shaped than study-shaped.

“And so what if it is a date?” She again addressed the no one in the room with her. “He’s a smart guy, good looking, great for talking to…” She smiled as the list of qualities ran through her mind.

No, having a date with Gunn could be good. She’d done the single thing for a good long while. Her schooling was in a strong place. Maybe it was time to try the guy thing again. Even more important, having a man like Gunn interested made the decision that much easier. She’d just have to see how he acted and see if his intentions really are more than just ‘friendly’ before she got too excited.


Chapter End Notes:
By popular demand, someone for Buffy to hang out with while Spike deals with that crazy bitca.