Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks again everyone. here's the second chapter. i hope it's easier to read than the first. Let me know, eh?
Knock knock

"So pet, how does chow mien and broccoli beef sound?" Spike yelled through the door to Buffy's apartment.

Buffy grinned and went to the door, "I'll let you in only if you brought me chopsticks and my fortune cookie!"

"Aw come on, luv. Do you not trust me?"

Buffy opened the door, "Well seeing as how I've only known you for a day or so..."

Spike pouted, "I have your chopsticks and fortune cookie."

"Oh I didn't mean it that way it was just a joke. Oh now I've done it.
You probably don't even want to talk to me anymore now that I've been this rude..."

Buffy carried on with her rambling and Spike just watched her carry on. He couldn't help but chuckle. She looked so cute when she was acting like this.

"...and see now you're laughing. Wait why are you laughing? Oh crap I was rambling again wasn't I? I tend to do that when I’m nervous. Oh crap, I just told you I’m nervous. I’m going to stop now." Buffy stopped talking and pursed her lips together as if to make a point.

“Oh please don’t stop, maybe I’ll find out somethin’ interestin’”

Buffy just glared at him and stole the bags of food from him. Spike followed her into the apartment and closed the door. Her place was nice. It was clean and simple. The walls were a nice pale blue and a lot of the furnishings were white. It kind of reminded him of one of those houses on the eastern coast of the States near Maine or something.

Buffy lead Spike into the kitchen, where she grabbed bowls and plates for the food. She pointed to a cupboard where Spike could find glasses. “There’s milk, water, or Diet Coke. Have whatever you want. Can you pour me a Diet Coke please?” Spike got the drinks and Buffy set up the table.

They sat down and started to dish out their food. Once they started eating an awkward silence came down on the table. Finally Buffy couldn’t take it anymore.

“So, you said you’re here because your family sent you here for their work?”

Spike tensed a little but when he looked at her, he saw she was intently working on her fried rice. “Yeah, they own a publishing company and they’re hoping to get business here. So they sent me to hopefully get it.”

“What type of publishing?”
“Magazines, News papers and such.”

Buffy nodded her head and went back to working on her food. Spike watched her for a minute before asking,

“So what is a pretty California girl such as yourself getting caught up here in France, land of love, cheese and bread?”

Buffy visibly stiffened once he asked that question. She was trying so hard to avoid it. Her past wasn’t something she wanted to talk about. God I came here to get away from it not to be asked about it everywhere that I go!

While all this was going through her head, Spike was patiently watching her. Her emotions and thoughts were easily shown on her face. “You know, kitten, you don’t have to tell me if it’s too hard to talk about.” Spike said softly, as if talking to a deer you don’t want to run away quite yet.

Buffy looked up, “Thanks. I’m not quite there yet. But I promise one day I will tell you.”

Spike nodded. “Well, pet, are you done with your din? I’ll help you clean up.”

“Thanks, Spike.”

They both started washing the dishes and cleaning up the kitchen. After that Spike said good night and went back to his apartment.

Once Spike left, Buffy made herself some hot chocolate, curled up on her couch and started to think. Could she trust this guy? She had only met him the day before. What about what happened at home? Will she ever get away from it? Buffy finally fell asleep on the couch with turbulent dreams that night.

****************************************************************

The next few weeks went by smoothly. Spike and Buffy would meet up occasionally for dinner or lunch and hang out like old friends. They had gotten past the uncomfortable-ness of new friendships.

Buffy had finally found a job. She was working as a teacher at a school for businessmen. She taught older people how to speak English and how to handle themselves in professional situations. It was the perfect job. She didn’t need to speak French and she got to boss older people around. Who wouldn’t love it?

One day, Buffy came home to find a vase on her doorstep. In the vase there were four flowers. Buffy’s mother had loved everything about the culture of Victorian times and made Buffy learn what flowers meant seeing as how that was a popular thing back then. The flowers that were resting in the vase were a sprig of lavender, a yellow rose, a rhododendron, and a lilac. Buffy racked her brain to figure out what the flowers meant. Maybe she had a secret admirer. Maybe Spike was the secret admirer. Maybe he’d ask her out and she’d finally get to kiss those beautiful lips. Whoa, where did that come from?

Buffy finally found the file in her brain where she stored all of her useless information and screamed when she figured out what they meant.

A rhododendron saying beware.

A sprig of lavender telling her of distrust.

A yellow rose showing zeal.

And a lilac embodying her first love.

No, no, no, no, NO!!! This can’t happen. He can’t be here. No, not anymore. Please, oh please, don’t be here.

Spike heard a scream in the hallway and quickly went out to see what happened. There he found Buffy hiding in the corner of the hallway staring at the flowers on her doorstep muttering, “No, please no. Can’t be him. No, no, no.”

“Buffy?” Spike waved a hand in front of her face.

She looked up to him and latched on to him. Spike gathered her up in his arms and guided her back into his place. After setting her down on the couch, he left to go put a pot of tea on when she grabbed him, hard.

“Please don’t leave me alone.”

Spike’s heart nearly broke at this. “I’m not leavin’, pet. Just going to put a pot on for us, yeah?”

Buffy deftly nodded her head and curled up into herself.

Spike went into the kitchen and put the brown betty on the stovetop. What happened to that girl out there? I only saw flowers out there. It must be connected with whatever happened back in California. I need to find out what happened back there.

Spike was so lost in his thoughts that he almost didn’t hear the teapot whistling at him. He poured two cups of tea and brought them back into the living room.

Buffy had somewhat come back to herself. Her eyes were puffy from holding back tears and her face was white from fear. Accepting the mug from Spike, she meekly said thanks to him.

Spike let her take a few sips before diving in.

“Buffy? Luv?”

She looked up.

“I think it’s time for you to tell me what happened back in California.”

Buffy shuddered.


Chapter End Notes:
oooooh what happens next? dun dun dun....


hehe. cheers