Author's Chapter Notes:
Author's Note: Hey guys, thanks for your feedback and support! I had some tests run at the hospital yesterday, and they came back normal, though my doctor is still convinced that it's my gallbladder giving me problems. Hopefully it'll go away on its own. Anyway, here's a short chapter, but hopefully it's an enjoyable one!
Chapter 60: Get it Done

“I’m begging you, Faith. Just let it go.” The two Slayers walked side-by-side down the street toward the house on Revello Drive.

“How can I let it go, Buffy? You’re pregnant! That’s kind’ve a big deal.”

“Say it a little louder, Faith. I don’t have quite enough demons to deal with. What’s a few more coming after not just me but my child?” Faith thought about that for a moment.

“Ok,” she said quietly. “Do you need a doctor or something?”

“No. I’m fine. Just scared me a little.”

“Should you be slaying in your condition.” Buffy rolled her eyes.

“Normally I don’t patrol alone.”

“So why were you tonight?”

“I needed to get out of the house.”

“And away from me?”

“Sort of,” Buffy admitted. She shrugged her shoulders. “I’ve got a lot to deal with right now, Faith. This baby…the prophecy.”

“Prophecy?”

“Yeah. This old prophet visited Spike and said that with this baby there’d be a new danger…and to look within.”

“Look within what?”

“I don’t know. I thought maybe…the Council. And with all this new stuff you’re telling us, I’m pretty sure that’s exactly it. I mean, I’m part of the Council whether I like it or not. Being a Slayer makes me kinda involved. So…”

“Yeah,” Faith said quietly. They were silent for a few minutes. “So who’s the dad?”

“What?!”

“Well, vampires can’t make babies. Not to my knowledge anyway.”

“This was a special circumstance.” Faith raised her eyebrows.

“You’re telling me you’re carrying around a junior vampire?”

“It’s human,” Buffy corrected. “But Spike’s the father.”

“Wicked. How’d that happen?” Buffy didn’t exactly want to explain that to Faith, but she figured she’d find out soon enough anyway.

“There was a claim.”

“A claim? As in…oh man. You got claimed by a vampire?”

“Hey, I claimed him back!” Buffy defended. Faith let out a laugh.

“Wow, B. That’s…I don’t even have words.”

“For once,” Buffy mumbled. “I don’t know why I even told you.”

“Well, I’m not about to go running to the Council and tell them you’re having William the Bloody’s love child, if that’s what you’re thinking. Never was much for the idea of the Council anyway. Except, of course, when they gave me a pretty sweet deal. Got me out of prison, found a place for me to stay, took good care of me.”

“Sounds an awful lot like the Mayor.” Buffy turned to Faith. “You’re a grown woman, Faith. A grown Slayer. You don’t need anybody to take care of you.” Faith said nothing. She just looked straight ahead. “I don’t get it. You’re so willing to trust the first person that offers you a better deal. That’s why I can’t trust you, Faith. What happens if the Council offers to set you up for life if you hand me over to them? Huh?”

“B, I wouldn’t…”

“How can I be so sure of that?”

“Guess you’ll just have to learn to trust me.”

“Yeah? Well, that’s not gonna be easy.”

“You just want to see me fail.”

“Right,” Buffy snorted. “Because I’m the goody-two-shoes, right? Because I’m supposed to be the good Slayer, and apparently, in your mind, there can only be one of those. Well, let me let you in on a little secret. Perfect? I’m far from it. Maybe I don’t go around insulting every person I run into like you do. But I have so many things to deal with in my life that I don’t even want to think about.”

“Yeah? Like what?”

“Why do you care?”

“C’mon, B. Just humor me. What is it you’re dealing with? Or not dealing with.” Buffy frowned, not wanting to divulge anything to the Slayer, but at the same time, she felt so frustrated that she might burst.

“Where should I begin? Let’s see. My father abandoned me. Again. Pretty soon, I’m going to have the Council coming after me for carrying the child of a vampire. My mood swings are so bad that I’ve actually threatened Giles with letting the demon population take over Sunnydale if it would give me one moment’s comfort from the constant aches and pains I’ve already having, and I’m not even halfway through my pregnancy. I have you here, and I don’t know what the hell to say or do, because looking at you brings up a part of my life I just want to forget. Oh, and the other morning? I found a box of condoms hidden behind the bubble bath under the sink in the bathroom. Spike and I don’t need protection. And Willow and Tara? Not exactly witches of the male variety, and still very lesbian last time I checked. I don’t even want to deal with the concept of my little sister doing what I think she’s doing…” Buffy shivered, and Faith smirked a little, shaking her head.

“Take a breath, B.”

“Look, I just wanna get home. I’m tired. I’m just…” She couldn’t even think of another word to describe her state of being at that very moment. All she wanted to do was snuggle up under the covers with her honey and think about things much more pleasant than the Watcher’s Council or a newly-reformatted Slayer that was hot on the heels of the other Slayer that Buffy hadn’t thought she’d ever have to deal with again.

“Alright. Well, why don’t you keep on walking, and I’ll double back and make another sweep of the cemetery? Don’t think I could sleep right now, and I’m kinda restless. It’s been a while since I had a good night of slaying.”

“Right. Ok.” Buffy continued on toward home, and Faith, with a long, curious glance back at Buffy, headed off to patrol once again.

***

Spike woke when Buffy crawled into bed next to him. He couldn’t help but smile when he felt her spoon herself behind him, one of her hands sliding up and down his bare arm before she reached under it and rested her hand against his chest. He took her hand in his and gave it a little kiss before placing it back where it was before.

“Everything go ok?”

“Yeah,” she yawned. “Faith showed up.”

“You didn’t kill her did you?”

“No,” Buffy snorted.

“Probably for the best,” he yawned.

“She showed up between mood swings. She’s still very much alive. At least she was when I left her. Can’t say what she’s doing now. She doubled back and went for one more sweep of the place.”

“Mmmhmm,” he mumbled sleepily.

“It was kinda quiet tonight.”

“Think the next big bad wannabes of Sunnydale are starting to reconsider settling down. Two Slayers in town? Not good for morale amongst the evil.”

“Maybe,” she whispered against his back, resting her flushed cheek there. Spike reached behind him and caressed her belly. “She’s ok.”

“Something happened?” Spike turned in the bed to face her, eyes full of worry now. She nodded.

“Yeah, but it’s ok.” She smiled, but she wasn’t very convincing. She rolled onto her back, and Spike scooted himself down the length of the bed so that his head rested on the bump of a stomach.

He was silent for several moments before he looked back up at his wife.

“She sounds ok,” he said quietly. Buffy nodded.

“She is. Don’t worry.” He crawled up and placed his lips against hers, kissing her softly.

“Maybe it’d be better to let Faith do the patrolling for a while.” Buffy pulled back a little.

“What?”

“With the baby…”

“The baby’s fine, Spike. I can be the Slayer and be pregnant.”

“Can, yeah. But should?”

“You actually want me to quit?”

“Not quit. Just…go on early maternity leave.” Buffy rolled her eyes.

“I can’t stop saving the world because I’m pregnant. Tonight was just…”

“Buffy,” he urged, taking her hand in his. “If anything happened to you or to the little bit, I don’t know what I’d do. Please just…think about it.” Buffy sighed, knowing herself well enough to know that she wasn’t going to give up Slaying that easily, but to appease her worried husband for now, she just nodded.

“I’ll think about it.” He kissed her again.

“All I ask, luv.”

***

“Quentin Travers.”

“It’s me.”

“Oh. Yes. Have you any news?”

“You could say that.”

“Well?”

“It’s about Buffy Summers and her vampire boyfriend.”

“Buffy and…”

“William the Bloody.”

“Yes. Of course, you did mention a relationship. Go on.”

“It’s not just a relationship, Mr. Travers. They’re…married.”

“Married?”

“And that’s not all. Sir, Buffy’s pregnant.”

“She’s…”

“With the vampire’s child.” There was a pause on the other line. “Sir?”

“The child of a human and a vampire? It’s…an abomination. Completely unheard of, and irresponsible of a Slayer to think about introducing that into the world.”

“What do you want me to do?”

“I want you to take care of it. By any means necessary.”

“It might take some time.”

“Yes, of course. Just get it done.”


Chapter End Notes:
Please let me know what you thought! Review please!