Chapter 19: Claimed!



With Buffy curled up on his lap, he began to rock her thinking of how to explain the changes that were about to take place.

He finally took a deep breath and decided to find out how much she knew, “Have you ever heard of claiming luv?”

Buffy shook her head and he sighed knowing this was going to be quite the lesson for the young girl.

He felt her curiosity echo through the claim as he started to explain, “Well when vampires bite someone, they can do what is called a claim. There are a few types of claiming. There is a master and minion claim. Dalton actually… hold on.”

Then he yelled out loudly to Dalton and watched as Dalton entered the room bowing before him.

He pointed to Dalton’s neck and Buffy looked up and watched as Dalton pulled his shirt to the side showing off the bite mark on his neck.

Then Dalton sat on the floor without Spike saying a word.

In Spike’s head, he had given Dalton the direction to sit down and relax while he explained to his new mate what everything meant and wanted him to stay and help explain knowing Dalton sometimes was better with words than he was.

Buffy looked up at Spike questioningly but waited until Spike started to explain again, “See the mark on Dalton’s neck. He has one on each side. One is his mark from when I sired him. I gave him more than a minion’s amount of blood but not enough for him to be a master vampire. I was tempted to make him a master vampire but Dru wouldn’t hear of it and Angelus was pissed enough I had turned a doctor without his permission anyway. That’s why Dalton stayed behind to care for Mrs. Dudley while I was in Europe. I figured he was safer here than there. So anyway, the mark on his left shoulder is my siring mark and the one on his right is the mark saying he belongs to me. Vampires have these marks to let other vampires know, who they can and can’t mess with. Any vampire who goes to attack Dalton here, would see the mark of mine and would know that by attacking him, he is in a sense challenging me. A vampire who has been disowned by his master or sire usually gets killed within a day or two due to having no protection. The mark on Dalton protects him from anyone who isn’t higher than me in my ranking. Any harming of him would be punishable by me and my family. Only ones higher are Angelus, Darla and Dru and the master. They are the only master vampires. Even Dru and Darla are iffy. They are not given the title master because they are female. Unlike your world Slayer, females aren’t treated equal. Since no one of higher ranking are in Sunnyhell, he’s safe.”

Dalton nodded at Buffy who tried to process all this then she asked, “What are the other types of claiming.”

Spike said, “So you learned about the dominance claim. But Dalton’s is a special dominance mark. It’s an allegiance mark. Back when he was first sired by me, he agreed to pay respects to me and be my loyal servant. He’s the only one that has that mark. I am able to communicate with him anywhere in the world. If I choose he can communicate back to answer me. If he needs me, he is able to request assistance by merely thinking directly to me and I will hear it and respond. It’s a highly trusted mark. He is the head of my minions. Only one I really trust too.”

Dalton smiled at that and Buffy said, “So he can hear you without you speaking. You could tell him to do something and he would obey even if you were in England or Australia?”

Spike nodded, “I can also find him anywhere I wanted.”

Dalton looked to Spike who nodded granted him permission to speak, “When you were being attacked, I had used my mind to request Spike’s assistance. I was able to immediately tell him to come home and deal with it to protect you. That is why he arrived so fast.”

Spike softly said to Dalton, “Still am appreciative of that mate.”

Dalton nodded as Buffy asked another question, “So are there more types?”

Spike nodded and said, “Well mating claims. There are one-sided and complete. Problem with one sided from what I understand which I might add isn’t much. Mostly from books and a little from Angelus who used to make fun of mated couples, but mating claims are forever. You can’t break them other than by death. What this means is that when a vampire mates with someone it really is till death do us part. If your mate dies, supposedly you will soon die with them. Often times, mated vampires when their mates are dusted will walk out into the sunlight unable to handle it or will dust themselves. A mated vampire never lives long without their mate.”

Buffy nodded still not understanding what is going on.

Spike noticing her eagerness and confusion continued, “So one sided claims. The vampire bites the girl, the girl agrees, they are mated. The girls never returns the favor so therefore the bloke never really belongs. The girl gets to feel like she belongs but the bloke has to spent his life attached to someone who never returns the favor. The bond is weak at best. Usually one sided for feelings. Usually used for protection only. Often times, will end poorly due to loneliness. With that type of claim, there is no on and off switch. No way to control. So the feelings poured through the bond are harsh and intense and often painful. When the mate gets hurt, instead of being able to protect the mate, they have to work through the pain of the mate in order to respond. So it would be like you getting hurt, me feeling your pain and having to fight even though I wouldn’t be ‘hurt’ as much as you. Doesn’t always work well enough, some vampires are really strong and can live in pain. Like me.” Spike beamed proudly.

Buffy still appeared confused so she questioned, “What’s the other type?”

Spike chuckled at her eagerness and said, “Getting there pet. So then there is what is considered a complete claim. I haven’t ever actually seen this, never even really heard of it occurring. In fact, I’ve only really seen one mated vampire pair in my unlife. We crossed paths with them when I was first turned back in 1886. I was turned in 1880. Anyway, Angelus had smelled it on them and it was an incomplete mating pair. The male appeared miserable while the female appeared happy. It didn’t look like it was going well but I don’t know how it turned out. Angelus came home roaring about how funny it was to see such a mess and how they would stake themselves in a week. But anyway, complete claims. As I was saying, don’t know much about them. Both parties do the biting, both agree. Supposedly both can feel the feelings, both are protected and both are connected for life. Serious stuff actually.”

Spike hesitated not liking the next part.

Dalton stood up and bowed after hearing Spike’s command to exit quietly so he could explain to Buffy what had started this conversation.

Buffy noticed Dalton’s leaving but decided just to snuggle closer into Spike’s arms suddenly nervous where this conversation was going.

Spike took a deep breath and exclaimed, “So Buffy, we are mated.”