Chapter 20: Mates



Buffy took a deep breath listening to his words echo in her ears, “So Buffy, we are mated.”

What did that mean? Wouldn’t she notice and know it? Can you be mated without even knowing it?

She looked up into Spike’s eyes very confused.

Spike held her closer whispering gently to her trying to calm her fears explaining, “During our love making in the crypt, I bit you. Sure I had bitten you before but my demon took over this time being hungry and claimed you. Member how I roared mine?”

Buffy nodded so Spike continued, “Well you answered with yours. That mated us together. I’m guessing some primal part of you answered without you realizing it. So um it’s a one sided claim. Doesn’t affect you at all. I can get vibes from your feelings, can sense where you are, if you are upset or bothered. Not sure of anything else yet. I’m as new to this as you are.”

Buffy closed her eyes not sure how she felt about this. Sure she is in love with him, but forever? She’s only 17 years old. A senior, she has her whole life ahead of her but she tried to think about this as an adult.

She whispered, “Does this mean I can never go home Spike?”

Spike shook his head and said, “No pet, you can go home. I can find you and rescue you. Also with this mark, it should make vampires less likely to try to bit you. Not saying they won’t still fight ya, cause they will but they won’t try to mark you. Some might even run from you but I wouldn’t count on that. The ones you find in Sunnyhell are mostly made by minions, are rarely marked, and are usually not up on the rules of vampires. So they probably will only smell the mark and not understand it fully and will fight you anyway.”

Buffy whispered softly almost too softly for Spike to hear, “So I’m really yours?”

Spike smiled at well she was taking this and nodded, “Yeah, you’re mine. All mine, always for as long as you will be mine.”

Buffy frowned a bit saying, “But you’re not mine right? This isn’t a complete claim. I never bit you…did I do wrong?”

Spike cuddled her closer and whispered, “I’m yours pet but not in the vampire sense. I’m not totally sure what happens to a slayer who is mated. Not sure if it works the same way or not. If you wanted to someday, we could find out, but not until you’re ready.”

Buffy nodded thankful she had time to think about it and was suddenly very tired.

She closed her eyes leaning up against Spike’s chest and Spike feeling her tiredness laid them both back on the bed pulling the blanket over them.

Spike placed a gentle kiss on her head as Dalton entered the room and redressed Spike’s hands and noticed how fast he was healing.

He didn’t say anything and Spike nodded in response to his questioning of, ‘Results of slayer blood?’

Dalton smiled and thought back, ‘Make that healing time about a day.’

Spike grinned and Dalton bowed out leaving them to sleep before crawling onto the small bed he had found in another room in the mansion and closed his eyes.

Every night he was thankful he had met Spike.

If Spike hadn’t of turned him that night that he had been hit by a car and left for dead, he wouldn’t be alive and further more, Spike was a good master, he always watched out for who was his.

Look at him, still alive, in a mansion, fresh bag blood so he didn’t have to kill. Nice warm bed to sleep on. A microwave and fridge and for once in his life, he felt complete, a tad lonely, but complete.

He felt Spike send waves of comfort his way not realizing he hadn’t closed off the bond and then smiled falling asleep.


@}-'--, --'--, --'--, -{@



Buffy woke up with her mind heavy with thoughts.

She belonged to Spike. Not her mom, not her missing dad. Not some weird relative but Spike.

He wouldn’t leave her side, wouldn’t go on long trips leaving her behind to fend her herself and wouldn’t get tired of her.

He couldn’t leave her.

This wasn’t just some words said under a beautiful arch of flowers wearing a white dress that can be changed hours later when you ‘change your mind’. This was binding, permanent.

Buffy sighed in happiness actually even though she was a tad nervous.

She was happy she belonged to someone.

She wondered what it felt like to be mated.

She didn’t feel any different. She couldn’t even sense him.

She decided then and there, she was going to bite him back next chance she got so the claim would be complete.

Then would she sense Dalton? Could Dalton get into her mind whenever he wanted to? Would he be able to be in there during sex? Ewww

She wasn’t into the idea of threesomes.

She just is getting used to the idea of Spike and her and all that yummy sex but to think of a third party.

That just grossed her out.

She wondered if while he slept, if her thoughts could invade his mind.

She was guessing not or he would be laughing at her and her worries and probably be putting her mind at ease.

Well she realized, he said feelings can be felt.

Perhaps she’s not having serious feelings right now.

She stood up and went to the bathroom continuing her thoughts.

What will her mother think once she found out she was in a sense married to a vampire. She was 17 so she was sure it was legal well are mating rituals legal?

It’s not like her mother could make it go away. It’s permanent.

She looked around in the bathroom spotting Spike’s and her toothbrush side by side in a cup along with Spike’s gel, comb, hairbrush and makeup bag on the sink. On the towel rack was two towels: one for her and one for Spike. In the shower was her shampoo and his along with her puff, his wash cloth and their shower soaps.

She was surprised at how well they just sort of moved in together.

She actually didn’t miss home at all.

She missed her mom but mostly her mom hadn’t been caring for her for so long anyway.

She was always so busy with something or another. Whether it be so busy volunteer in the school that she forgot about Buffy or was so wrapped up in her divorce and now her job.

It had been a really long time since someone sat down with Buffy and gave her their undivided attention and now for six days, she has had Spike’s and she wasn’t sure she wanted to give it up.

Buffy grabbed some meat and cheese and made herself a sandwich and eat it in silence still thinking.

With her full belly, she made a vow to herself as she crawled back into bed.

She wouldn’t be giving this up.

She was going to give it all she was and never give up Spike, not for anything.