Chapter 15

Spike tossed the mugger's body into a nearby dumpster when he felt the Specter's presence getting closer to him. This had been the first time he had encountered her since his return to Sunnydale, and he was quite looking forward to it. Although Spike was sure that the Specter wouldn't be too thrilled about the drained mugger, he knew the human had been a bad guy. He hadn't lied to Beth all those months before about not actively killing. Although there were times he ran across a human evil enough to make even him shudder. He didn't question how he knew these things. So, he'd taken care of the human. Spike never connected his newfound evil meter to either Beth or the Specter.

"Oi, Specter, ready to patrol?" Spike wiped the corner of his mouth as he stepped out of the shadows. He continued to move away from his kill, sure that the Specter would follow him.

"Why not," the Specter said in her low guttural language. "Where are the Slayers? Will they be joining us?"

"Nah, Cassie's out with Peaches." Spike pulled his cigarettes from his pocket. "The other one's hittin' the college. We'll take downtown."

The Specter nodded in agreement. She couldn't tell Spike that her alter ego and Joyce had come across something odd earlier while shopping for a Christmas tree that she wanted to check out. If they were downtown anyway, she could steer him towards what she wanted to check out as the Specter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Faith strolled down the wooded path. She figured that patrolling there would probably be the closest she'd ever come to college. She had no idea how Beth handled the extra schooling. She guessed classes were good for something though.

On the subject of Beth, the dark-haired Slayer just couldn't understand how the goodie two shoes had melted the heart of a bad ass vampire like William the Bloody. They say opposites attract, but that was beyond ridiculous in Faith's opinion. However, from what she'd seen, the blond vampire was completely devoted to the young woman.

Faith was pulled away from her thoughts by a slight movement in the bushes. She waited to see if the activity was demonic, but the Slayer soon realized it was humans hiding.

"It's dangerous to be boinking in the bushes around here," Faith called out. "That urban legend about the crazy, deformed man that attacks trysting lovers around isn't a legend."

There was some more rustling in the bushes.

"Or maybe you are the crazy, deformed creature." Faith pulled out one of her stakes. "Then, I have a nice piece of wood here with your name on it."

The bushes parted, and it looked like a tall, young man in a military haircut was shoved out. He hastily straightened his balaclava and ran a hand through his hair. "Hi, I'm Riley Finn," he said.

Faith looked at her stake, turning it over and over in her hand. Then she looked up at Riley, and she batted her eyelashes. "Gosh, I was right. It says 'Riley Finn' right here on this stake."

"Uh." Riley looked confused for a moment. "Oh hey, that's funny. I really wanted to ask you about crazy, deformed people. Um, how do you..." He glanced back at the bushes for a moment. "... know about them?"

Faith gave Riley the once over and came to the conclusion that he was part of the demon-hunting gang that the Specter had mentioned. She shrugged as if she was bored even though Want! Take! Have! was running through her mind over and over. "Slayer, the. Look it up."

"What's a Slayer?" Riley shifted back and forth on his feet, clearly uncomfortable under Faith's sultry gaze.

"The one girl in every generation... blah, blah, blah." Faith paused for a moment. "Although, I guess there's two in this generation."

"Psst, Finn. Time to go." A man's voice hissed from the rustling leaves behind Riley.

"Well, poo, just when we were getting to know each other." Faith pouted. "But crazy, deformed men go after gay guys playing in the bushes just as much as straight couples."

"What? No!" Riley blushed beet red. "We're not gay." He turned to snarl at the bush. "This is your fault, Graham. I finally meet a hot, sexy girl, and you make her think I'm..." The young man shuddered.

Another clean cut man shoved his head out of the bushes. He looked at Faith, and he muttered, "Ma'am, Finn's from Iowa. He doesn't swing that way."

"Says the man in the bushes with him." Faith smirked. She was pretty sure none of the military boys were gay, but it sure was fun pulling their chain.

"Time to go! Now!" said another man's voice. "Sub terrestrial hostile has been sighted over by the Dunwirth Building."

Riley shot Faith a boyish grin before he slipped into the foliage and disappeared with his buddies.

"Shit. Scare off the first cute guy you find, why don't you, Lehane," Faith muttered as she hid her stake again. "You're never getting laid again at this rate." She turned to continue her patrol.

Faith knew that Spike was downtown with the Specter, Clem was busy at the butcher shop, and Dalton was off on a task for Spike. So, she wasn't worried the demon the military boys were tracking was a friend. Hmm, might go check them out anyway. She changed directions mid stride.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike and the Specter finished their patrol of the cemeteries, and they headed downtown to check out the dead trees. Once there they jumped down into a small cavern that was deserted, but it showed signs of magical activity. They climbed back out of the hole, only to find Cassie and Angel on the surface. They watched and listened to the brewing argument from a distance as Cassie seemed more than a bit angry at the dark-haired vampire.

"Just suck it up, Angel." Cassie shook her finger in front of Angel's face. "It's not like you can bring any of those people back to life."

"I need to pay for my sins." Angel turned pleading eyes on the Slayer. "Everyone would be better off if I was dust."

Spike rolled his eyes at Angel's words. Bloody sorry ass poofter.

"Oh really?" Cassie crossed her arms, and she tapped her foot. "Exactly how will that make up for the lives you took?"

Angel shrugged, his heart heavy with guilt. He wasn't sure how to explain what he was feeling. "Look what happened with us, Cass. What if I'm that happy again? I can't let Angelus out again."

"OR you could find someone to anchor your soul!" Cassie threw her hands up in the air. "It's a stupid lame-o curse anyway."

"Cassie, it can't be that easy," Angel protested.

"Yes, it can be if you let it. You always go for the broodiest path possible." Cassie rolled her eyes. "Get your act together, Angel. If you want to be with me, you'll get your soul anchored."

Angel nodded.

"You'll forget all about this suicide nonsense," Cassie ordered. "If you really want to die, I'll be happy to do it for you." She pulled out her stake.

"Should we save him?" the Specter asked softly.

"No. No." Spike held up a hand. "I'm always up for some Angel bashin'."

Both couples were interrupted when robed men poured out of the shadows. The four warriors fell into fighting stances as the blind, mute minions of the First Evil descended on them. Spike and the Specter fought with synchronized movements, easily taking down the Bringers. The battle didn't last for long because when the Bringers realized they couldn't win they retreated.

"Spike," Angel growled at the younger vampire once the fight was over. "What are you doing here?" He advanced on the bleached blond.

The Specter stepped between the two male vampires. "Mine!" she uttered in English. "Warned you."

"That wasn't me," Angel protested.

"Then, I shall warn you. Retribution for hurting someone that belongs to me will be long and painful." The Specter waited for Spike to translate before she continued. "I will keep you alive and at my mercy for centuries."

"Centuries?" Cassie gasped.

The Specter turned to the Slayer, and she replied, "Yes, I will be protecting the Hellmouth long after you are gone."

Spike translated. He was both happy and surprised at the Specter's words.

Cassie gaped in astonishment at the black-clad female. It had never occurred to her that the Specter might be immortal. She couldn't imagine having the duty to fight evil forever.

"My fate is what it is," the Specter said with a shrug of her shoulders. "I either fight it or accept it. My chances for a normal life with kids, a picket fence, and a dog are pretty much nil." She reached out to take Spike's hand.

Cassie saw the gesture, and she nodded. Only with someone immortal can the Specter have forever, she thought. Cassie turned to address Angel. "Leave Spike alone. He's my friend."

"But..."

"No, you will not dictate who I talk to," Cassie interrupted whatever Angel was going to say. "I love you. I want to spend my life with you, but I am not your childe or your slave. I can make my own decisions."

Angel nodded, even though his expression said he didn't like what Cassie had said. He resigned himself to the fact that Cassie controlled their relationship. He knew that he had to find a way to anchor his soul, and he knew that was the only way he could be with his beloved. Angel gave Spike and the Specter a nod while he vowed to stay out of their way. They were too volatile for what he perceived as his own staid temperament.

The four supernatural beings bid each other good night. Cassie went with Angel to ensure he was really over his suicide kick. Spike and the Specter went their separate ways with the Specter hurrying home to become Beth again. Spike stopped off to have a drink at Willy's before he headed to Beth's apartment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"How was patrol?" Beth looked up from her college homework when Spike slipped into the warehouse apartment. "Anything exciting?" She loved asking him about patrols, even though she knew what went on already. She enjoyed hearing his slant on the events of the night.

Spike leaned in to give Beth a quick kiss before he hit the fridge for some pig's blood. "Yeah, though Cassie kept the poofter from dustin' himself."

Beth rolled her eyes. She knew how much the bleached blond vampire hated his grandsire. "Well, he's just going to have to deal with you. Giles called."

"What'd the Watcher want, pet?"

"He invited us to come to a Scooby meeting." Beth frowned. "What if they discover I'm a vamp?"

"We'll deal with it then." Spike went to Beth, and he took her in his arms. "I won't let them hurt you."

"I know you won't." Beth cuddled closer to the male vampire. "I just worry is all. Now, how about you call Clem and Jack. See if they want to come over?"