Chapter 22

“Remind me again why we’re having Thanksgiving at our house?” Spike asked Beth.

“Because we have the most room.” Beth gave Spike a smile. She handed him some silverware to put out on the table. Just then the telephone rang, and she went to the other room to answer it.

Spike set the silverware out as he listened to Beth with half an ear.

“You made it there okay?” Beth asked softly. “Nothing happened?”

Spike paused in his task. He didn’t know of anyone that they knew to be out of town for the holiday. He continued to listen, hoping for a clue as to who Beth was talking to.

“It can’t be that bad,” Beth muttered. “I mean if I survived visiting Aunt Darlene so can you!”

Now Spike really wondered who Beth was talking to. She so rarely spoke of her family. At least she didn’t to him.

“Yes, I’ll go check to see if Janice called you.” Beth sighed. “I know you’re worried about her. It’s not fun to be in the hospital when it’s not a holiday. Tell Mom not to worry about anything.”

Spike suddenly realized that maybe Beth’s family actually lived in Sunnydale too. Of course he understood why she hid them though. While he had turned his mother because of his love for her, despite having to stake her shortly thereafter, other vampires like Angelus killed their families out of hatred or just for the hell of it.

“I have people coming over in a few. I have to go, pumpkin belly. Talk to you later.” Beth hung up the telephone.

Spike came to the door of the dining room. “Who was that, pet?”

Beth gave Spike a startled look. “Just someone from school. No biggie. You ready for everyone to descend on us?” Just then the doorbell rang.

“Doesn’t seem to matter if I’m ready or not. Someone’s here.” Spike let Beth think that he believed her little fib. “Table’s set.”

“Well, go answer the door.” Beth shooed Spike towards the front door.

Spike sauntered through the house to the front of the house. He threw open the front door. “Happy Thanksgiving and all that rot,” he shouted, his arms open wide in greeting.

Xander and Cordelia stood on the front porch. They both rolled their eyes at Spike’s antics. “I brought dessert.” Cordelia held up the cake box from the local bakery.

“Beth’s in the kitchen, cheerleader.” Spike directed the dark-haired woman towards the back of the house. After Cordelia went in the direction indicated, Spike asked, “So, Harris, who do you think will win the big game?”

The two friends launched into a conversation that involved every male that arrived after that. Clem, Wesley, and Spike were cheering for the underdog while Giles and Xander were cheering for the fan favorite. The girls were all in the kitchen gossiping when Faith and Riley finally arrived.

“Hey, come on in here, Finn,” Xander waved the other young human into the living room. “Tell us whose side you’re on.”

“You guys want some munchies?” Jack peeked her head into the room. “Beth has some chips and dip.”

“Bring it on, luv,” Spike spoke up.

“I’ll let her know.” Jack went back into the kitchen.

Soon, Beth came out with a tray of tortilla chips, potato chips, salsa, and dips. She put the tray down on the table. Beth went to Spike’s side to give him a kiss on the cheek.

Riley glanced down at the tracker watch on his wrist. He knew that Clem and Spike were demons, but he was surprised when he realized that Beth was a demon too. He pointed at the young woman, and he gasped, “She’s a vampire too. What is going on here?”

“What the hell are you talking about?” Xander shouted. “Beth’s not a vampire.”

“What’s going on in here?” The other females burst into the living room after they heard Xander’s bellow.

“Finn here says that Beth’s a vamp.” Xander pointed at Riley. “He shouldn’t lie like that.”

“Well, about that… “ Beth cleared her throat. She stepped closer to Spike. “I am a vampire.”

“What?” Several Scoobies looked at her in surprise.

“I thought you said you would never turn her,” Cassie accused Spike.

“He didn’t,” Beth said softly. “I was a vamp before Spike came to Sunnydale.”

“Why did you hide it from us?” Willow asked. “Were you scared we wouldn’t like you?”

Beth nodded slowly. “I never figured out how you all didn’t figure it out. Spike knew the second he saw me way back that first day.”

Xander sat down in confusion. It wasn’t that he didn’t like Beth, because he did. He just didn’t like anyone to keep secrets. Secrets led to bad things. It was always like that.

“No biggie to me.” Faith shrugged her shoulders. She glanced at Giles and Wesley. “You two don’t seem all that surprised.”

“Spike spilled the beans a few weeks back,” Wesley replied.

“Hey, I saw you out in the sun just last week,” Cassie said suddenly. “If you’ve been a vamp for so long how was that possible?”

“Oh, Spike gave me a ring that let’s me go out in the sun.” Beth smiled slowly. “He’s the best really.”

Xander got to his feet, and he put his hand out to Beth. “You’ve always been an alright friend, Beth. I’m glad you’re part of the Scoobies.”

Beth took Xander’s hand. “Thanks, Harris.”

“You can’t be serious?” Riley looked around at the Scoobies. He couldn’t believe they hadn’t freaked out even more than they had. “Faith, another one?”

“Do you want to get laid tonight, Finn?” Faith glared at her fuck buddy. “If so, shut your mouth and sit down.”

Riley noticed that everyone was looking at him expectantly. He had this sudden vision where he tried to leave and the Scoobies jumped him when he tried to escape. He knew they would never let him tell his buddies in the Initiative about Spike and Beth. Riley sat down abruptly, he crossed his hands over his chest, and he pressed his lips together. Not only did he not want to be another Sunnydale statistic, he so wanted to have sex that night with Faith. She was such an inventive lover.


“Well, since we averted yet another disaster, may I say dinner will be ready in about an hour?” Beth made her escape to the kitchen. She was followed by Anya and Jack. The other Scooby females stayed with the menfolk to keep Riley in line.

“You okay, Beth?” Jack asked softly. She knew her friend was quite shaken over the revelation of her vampiric status despite Beth’s outward calmness.

“Yeah, I think so.” Beth glanced towards the living room. The television was going quite loudly by then, but she dropped her voice anyway. “Anya, we have to take out the Initiative right away. I got the oddest feeling from Riley.”

“How so, Beth?” Anya looked at her friend in concern. “Was it some kind of Slayer intuition?”

“You’re a Slayer?” Jack asked in disbelief. “Like Cassie and Faith?”

Beth bit her lip, and she nodded. She gave Jack a small smile. “Surprise.”

“Any ideas on what to do with the Initiative?” Anya asked softly. “As I’ve said before, I’m here to help you in any capacity that I can.”

“I think I need to think on it,” Beth replied. She moved over to the counter where she nervously started to stir a bowl of mashed potatoes that she had sitting there. “They’re still humans. I can’t just kill them, but they need to be out of Sunnydale.”

“Guess that means blowing them up is out of the question?” Anya asked.

“Yeah, I’d say so. Can you get me the milk out of the fridge?” Beth stirred the potatoes a few more times. “I just wish the Initiative would get what they deserve.”

Anya nodded to herself. Wish granted, she thought to herself. With the exception of Mr. Finn, of course. A Slayer getting orgasms was a happy Slayer after all. Now Anya just had to wait a few days so that Beth wouldn’t realize the connection. It wouldn’t do the turned Slayer any good to realize exactly what had happened. She also had to come up with a plan to have the good Mr. Finn far, far away from the Initiative when her plan finally saw fruition.

“What are you thinking?” Jack whispered to Anya.

“Little old me? I’m not thinking anything.” Anya gave her friend an innocent look. “I’m a good girl!”

“Sure you are,” Jack scoffed. She turned her attention back to Beth. “What do you need us to do, sweetie?”

“Oh, um, check on the turkey I guess.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hours later, the last of Spike and Beth’s guests had trickled out of their house. The two vampires were sitting in the living room watching television when Beth said softly, “I need to go give my friend an assignment that she missed last week. I should be too long.”

Spike turned to look at Beth. “That’s fine, luv. I’ll just stay here and watch the telly.” He turned his attention back to the screen.

“Great, baby.” Beth kissed his cheek before she got to her feet. “It’s just a few blocks away. I’ll be okay.”

Spike nodded absently. Although truthfully, he was already planning on his course of action. He would follow Beth to see where she was going this late on a holiday. A few seconds after Beth left the house, Spike was ready to leave himself. He was out the back door, and he trailed behind his girlfriend. As she said, where she was going was just a few blocks away. Spike watched as Beth slipped inside a house on Revello Drive.

“Why is that address so familiar?” Spike muttered to himself. He searched his pocket for his cigarettes. When he went for his lighter, he found the scrap of paper from a few days before that had Buffy Summers’ mother’s address on it. Spike glanced at the scrap, and he smacked himself on the forehead. “No wonder it’s familiar, but what is Beth doing going into that particular house? Unless…”

Spike found himself lost in thought. Could Beth and Buffy be the same person? If Beth was Buffy why hadn’t she told him? Didn’t she trust him? Spike growled as he dropped his cigarette on the ground. He crushed it beneath the heel of his boot. He needed time to think. Spike decided to go visit Dalton at the mansion.