Author's Chapter Notes:
hope you enjoy this chapter, there is some very minor Spike / other..no flames please
The six months he had been there had flown by for Spike. He had found he was actually enjoying the challenge of learning everything and mastering everything they were throwing at him. Cookery had been fun, though he had tried not to sleep through the ‘nutritional requirements of a slayer’ lesson: 3500 calories a day, no wonder they put away anything they could lay their hands and mouth on and no wonder they were all so skinny. Well not that Nikki bird, she’d been OK… his inattention had cost him a carton of smokes and half a bottle of whisky but he made it up during the exam. Spike still didn’t like computers, though. He knew enough about them to get them to do what he asked, especially when he had a 3000 word ‘psychology of killing’ essay to do. It had taken him all day. The counselling course had been different…he hadn’t expected the counsellor to be a fairy, complete with blue blood and wings, or to spend a lot of the time analysing him. He’d felt a real prat - excuse the pun - when he’d broken down in tears about his mother’s death. But it had helped, just like Oberon had told him it would; the male fairy knew what he was talking about. They’d shared a few drinks in the sitting room that the staff used most weeks now.

His fighting urges had been channelled into skills he never knew about. Six months of constant training had left his body honed like an athlete. Karate, judo, wrestling even: Thai style and freestyle had been an amazing release. He still went for fangs and talons when necessary, but it wasn’t often now.

His sire link with Olivia was a constant in the background and he felt reassured by it. Her peaceful soul allowed the poet to come out of hiding and retake control of the body. The demon was still there, but quiet, almost tamed. Not totally, but almost.

Spike felt the sun going down and put aside the book he’d been reading. Kate had promised him a drive outside tonight and he was looking forward to it. There was a nest of vampires in a nearby cemetery and they were taking a car, and going to take them out. It was to be a training session outside the compound and he was excited. Thynne had let Spike know that he would be watched, but alone. Spike had spent some time thinking about making a break for it but something had held him back. He knew they had put spells on him to make him less feral and it had annoyed him at first; but like any other predator, food on tap and shelter tended to make him lazy. He always had that option later.

The door to his quarters was usually left unlocked these days. He had earned that right after passing his first lot of exams so Spike was very surprised when the alarm sounded and he could hear the ‘clang clang clang’ of the security doors slamming shut. He didn’t need preternatural hearing to hear alarms going off everywhere. He went to the door to look out of it and couldn’t see anyone around at first, but it didn’t take long before Thynne and Blousey came running down the corridor as though the hounds of hell were after them. They threw themselves into Spike’s room and slammed the door as they entered; neither man looked like the suave and sophisticated version he had first met. Blood dripped from Blousey’s arm, making Spike’s mouth water; Thynne was gasping for breath and trying to stand up properly but he seemed unable to do it. Spike gave the man a hand, which Blousey gratefully accepted, and pulled him to his feet.

‘What the fuck is happening out there?’ He asked as Blousey regained his balance. ‘Kate, is the simple answer. Someone some stupid man wasn’t wearing the cock ring we all have, he’d switched it off because it made him feel impotent. It was supposed to, stupid pillock.’
‘What ‘s that got to do with our pretty mechanic?’ Spike watched as Thynne started casting a spell on the already enchanted doorway.

‘She’s a Veela and she hasn’t been near a working male for nearly three years and some idiot switches his off!’ Blousey couldn’t stop swearing at the thought of his friend in so much pain.

‘So this isn’t a punishment?’ Spike looked in disbelief at both men, his head swinging from one to another.

‘God no, we wouldn’t do that to anyone. We all wear them; when we leave the compound we have them turned off and we have them turned back on before we arrive back. But some idiot had his turned off because he wanted to go for a ride with his girlfriend; Kate got a whiff of pure testosterone heading out for a night of sex - and turned. So instead of our little Kate pottering around with her cars and bikes we have a fully fledged hunting veela out there: that makes a werewolf look like a cuddly pet.’

‘Anything I can do to help?’ Spike couldn’t quiet believe he’d offered to help but as soon as the words were out of his mouth he felt a warm rush of approval over the sire link.

‘If you’re willing we could turn your ring completely off. You’re male enough to lead her a merry dance while we try and get the sedatives ready…’

Spike looked at the men and knew they weren’t joking, they were planning on him being the bait!

‘Where do you want me to lead her? And how do I fight her?’

‘Towards the sitting room: she must not be allowed anywhere near the exits, she knows this place like the back of her hand. And you don’t fight her: if you get that close your own sex drive will overwhelm you and it will be a toss up to see if you are going to rape her or she will rape you, you’ll be hard for days. Believe me even how she looks now won’t slow you down,’ Blousey told him as he looked around the room. ‘We need to make it to the med labs, so we’ll be about five or ten minutes behind you.’

‘And if she looks human we won’t see you for days,’ Thynne added as he pointed his hand in the direction of Spike’s groin.

Something heavy hit against the door, and the reinforced demon proof door seemed to bow inwards.

‘She’ll kill anything that gets between her and a vigorous male, and she’ll damn near kill anyone that goes with her at the momen,’ Thynne told him, ‘none of us would be strong enough to face her.’

Spike nodded his understanding and stuck his feet into his doc martins. He would need the extra protection the leather gave him.
‘How do I stop her?’ He asked again as he felt the masculine power flood his body; he could hardly keep his human visage in place, he could feel his fangs trying to break through and he knew from the looks on the two men’s faces that his eyes must be flashing gold.

‘For God’s sake don’t let her bite you or you will end up being mated to her.’

At a nod from Thynne, Spike slipped out of the door and listened as the men closed it again behind him. He could feel the wards slamming into place.

He sniffed the air, trying to work out where the Veela was hiding. He could taste her musk on the air and it was getting stronger: she was heading straight towards him, fast. Spike took off as fast as he could towards the sitting room. The steel reinforced security gates were going to be little use against the monster that chased him: a cruel, wicked mouth filled with fangs that seemed to be dripping with purple goo, her normally graceful body now covered with feathers and scales and her eyes were red, and it wasn’t from tiredness. For the first time since being turned Spike felt a frisson of fear creep down his spine; he loved a good fight but the creature behind him looked like something out of a demon’s nightmare. It was huge: the Veela’s wings touched either side of the corridor and its screeches hurt his ears.

He ran as fast as he could, his legs flying through the air as he led the creature on a race to the sitting room: a sitting room that had solid concrete walls and only one way in. The door ahead was open and he dived through, turning to see Kate struggling to get into the room, the doorway being almost too small for her huge frame. She finally managed to get in and Spike backed away. She seemed to be purring more than screeching now - and shrinking. Spike watched as her eyes went from red to brown and back again. The Veela crept forward slowly, her front claws raking the ground as she inched her way towards the cornered demon. She was sniffing the air, her mouth drooling at the amount of testosterone he was giving off in reply to her pheromones. Spike couldn’t help but respond, he could feel his jeans getting tighter and tighter, and had to laugh at himself, she was hardly the most beautiful female in the world but he was responding to her as though Aphrodite herself was in front of him. His teeth lengthened and his demon face came even further to the fore. A claw reached out and grabbed his leg, pulling him closer to her slavering mouth. Spike kept reminding himself not to let the Veela bite him, last thing he needed was a mate.

She pulled him right underneath her body and the closer he moved the more human she looked; when he was under her as a lover would be, she finally looked like his friend again: with scales, but definitely Kate. She leant down and kissed him hard on the mouth, possessing his body with hers. As their tongues fought over dominance his fangs caught her lip and he could taste her blood in his mouth. It made him even harder if possible and he licked up the drops, tasting the wonderful coppery liquid before kissing her back with the same passion. Both were too busy to notice the arrival of Blousey and Thynne. Kate collapsed on top of him, pinning him to the ground with her weight, unconscious with a dart sticking out from her thigh - but she was still purring.