Author's Chapter Notes:
Chapter again betaed by Brittany's hard work! Thanks and enjoy!

Chapter 22: What Mates Mean?



Buffy whispered against his chest, “What a perfect way to wake up. What a perfect way to go to sleep. I think things are just perfect.”

Spike chuckled and pulled her closer, “We still have to talk, love. You know that right?”

Buffy nodded but wanted to put it off. Whatever it was seemed bad since it upset Spike so much and she was enjoying the closeness she was feeling towards him and his cheerful demeanor too much to risk upsetting it. So instead she said, “Can you fix me breakfast first? I’ll help. I’m just so hungry.”

Spike growled and gave her a kiss then said, “What are you hungry for? Pancakes okay?”

Buffy nodded as she admitted, “I don’t know how to make pancakes.”

Spike grinned and stood up pulling her up beside him, “Then I’ll teach you. Everyone should know how to flip a pancake.”

Buffy looked down and noticed she was naked and leaned over taking his black shirt from the floor and put it over her body covering it from his sight. He smiled at her and pulled on his pants. Buffy watched him pull his pants on and was amazed at how nicely his erection fit inside even though she wasn’t sure it would. He chuckled watching her gaze and pulled her hand to take her down into the kitchen. He had her get out the eggs and measure the water. He showed her how to stir it and how much to pour into a frying pan. She watched as the batter bubbled and then he showed her how to flip it. The next one she tired and managed to make a mess spraying batter everywhere after flipping it too soon. He laughed and poured another and then went about cleaning up her mess. They made six pancakes, the last two of Buffy’s turning out quite nice. As they ate, Buffy watched as Spike heated up blood and poured it over his pancakes as though it was syrup.


She didn’t say anything and neither did Spike. Both sat there eating in silence with Buffy sipping juice and Spike sipping coffee. When both were finished, Spike collected the dishes again and carefully put them into the dishwasher to wash them and then he turned to her, “OK talking time, where do you want to talk?”

Buffy thought about it and pulled Spike out to sit on the bench next to the small garden so she could see the stars. Spike got up for a moment and went inside bringing back with him his duster and a blanket. He draped the duster over his shoulders and wrapped the blanket around them both as Buffy rested her head against his shoulder. It seemed so perfectly normal as he slipped am arm around her back and pulled her close.

Spike then decided to talk, “Last night when you bit me, you encouraged my demon to come out. What that means, love, is that I sort of lost control of my actions. I know I didn’t hurt you but with my demon in control it decided you were its mate. Honestly I don’t know how it decided that but I’m guessing between my feelings and sex and you biting him, that’s what it decided. So when I bit you, it was as a mate would bite its mate so I claimed you. Know anything at all about a claim?” Buffy shook her head saying nothing, so Spike continued, “Honestly I don’t know a whole lot. I do know it has to be reciprocated which it was and it should be two-way for it to really work. One way doesn’t do much. I can find you anywhere, which is nice but other than that, nothing special. It will wear off in time if I don’t renew it since it’s new and only one sided.”

Buffy spoke up, “What happens if I do it back? If it’s two sided?” Spike frowned for a second thinking about that. He was lost in thought as she whispered, “Do you not want it anymore?”

Spike answered truthfully, “I’ve been thinking about that since I woke up. In a way I want it more than anything but it puts us both in serious danger for quite a few reasons. If and when you return to Sunnyhell because we both know you will have to, and if your watcher turns you in, the Council will be after you to kill you. They don’t like their slayers being mated or even involved with vampires. I’m surprised they didn’t kill you for Angel but I guess he was some messenger or something for the Gods so he was exempt. I still say that clause should have been fixed by the powers-that-be before sending him after a beautiful girl but I won’t go there. It also means if I were to be dusted, it would probably kill you if it were two sided. The way it works now is I die when you die but not the other way around. Also time apart hurts and it gets worse with time. Two way is completely irreversible. It’s not like a divorce can occur. Some even believed back when it was popular to mate, that it world continue after death but I’m not sure about that. I read that somewhere. With a one way, I can’t really protect you as well as with a two way but I think you’re safe this way. I didn’t mean to claim you. I honestly hadn’t even thought about it before. But I kind of like the idea. Perhaps it’s because I’m lonely and sad and so are you so we match up well. Whatever you decide Buffy, I’m behind you 100%. If you decide to just keep my one way open so you can always have someone when you need them, then I’ll respect that. If you want it to totally fail, I’ll respect that as well too. If you want it two-way, I’ll be more than happy to oblige but I’m leaving it up to you, my love. It’s your choice.”

Buffy’s mind was spinning but she still needed something more, “What are the benefits of a two way claim? Do you happen to know?”

Spike shrugged, “You’d have less ways of death. You’d be stronger if I read the Watcher Dairies right but they didn’t really care about talking to the Slayers to see the effects. They were much too busy destroying the couple. By the way, they also destroy turned Slayers so don’t consider that either.”

Buffy smiled stating, “I don’t plan to be turned.”

Spike nodded in relief, “Well other than the finding thing, I don’t know. It would be a learning experience for us both. But I’m leaving you to think about it.”

Buffy nodded decided to give herself time, “Can we just turn on television inside after we weed and water the garden which needs it by the way, to relax here at the house so I can think?”

Spike nodded and he got off the bench to help with the gardening.