Author's Chapter Notes:
Another betaed chapter thanks to Brittany. Four more betaed chapters left...then another six or so after that.

Chapter 26: The Hunted



Buffy woke up to a splitting headache. Her head was killing her and she found herself chained up. She knew it was an office because all there was in the room was chairs and a desk. There was a file cabinet along one side and even a computer on the desk. It really looked like a normal office only no windows in sight. The door was closed and she was alone. She yanked on the chains but couldn’t get them loose and her head was killing her. She screamed, “Let me out of here!!”

No one answered her though. She screamed again and again but no one seemed to be around. Tears started to fall, as she felt so alone. She closed her eyes trying to feel Spike but she had never claimed him so she was really alone. ‘Why would someone chain me up only to leave me alone? How did I get here?’ She tried to think about the events that lead to her chaining but she couldn’t remember anything other than vampire slaying with Spike and how much fun it had been. She sighed whispering, “Spike. I need you.” She knew no one could hear her and she cried even more struggling against the bonds until she cried herself to sleep feeling tired and weak.


@}-'--, --'--, --'--, -{@



Dru whispered while sitting on the couch, “Hello.”

Both Todd and Spike looked at her weird until the phone rang and both nodded knowing that is what she meant. Spike raced towards the phone and Ted was on the other line, “Got some news for you, Spike. The demon hunters don’t go out during the day but they should be out again tonight. Their headquarters are near the center of town in the sewers. My friend said he sees them go in everyday but he doesn’t want to start too much trouble so stays out. We are peaceful creatures so we don’t like causing fights. Anyway, if your girl is with them, she’s probably in there. Not sure why they would take a hostage. I’ve never heard of them doing that before.”

Spike replied, “Thanks, man. Owe you one.”

The demon replied, “Nah you didn’t kill Jed when he ran into you and attacked you. We are even.”

Spike replied still on edge eager to find Buffy and bring her home, “Right man. Ok I got a while before sunset. When I get my girl back, she wanted to invite you and the misses to dinner if you are interested.”

Ted sounded surprised, “What is she cooking?”

Spike laughed into the phone, “You got it all wrong, I do the cooking. She does the setting of the table.”

Ted laughed really loud at that one, “A vampire cooking. That’s a good one.”

Spike shrugged but realized Ted couldn’t see it and instead said, “Well I like food. Some of it when cooked well tastes great. If I want to survive with my mate, then I have to cook.”

Ted replied, “Well call me whenever you get your girl back and we will make a date of it. We can bring dessert. My wife makes a mighty fine apple pie and brownies.”

Spike smiled at that, “You’re on. See you soon mate.”

Then they exchanged goodbyes. Spike turned into the living room to find Dru and Todd curled up on the couch sleeping. He realized he was tired too and decided to lie down even if he couldn’t sleep to at least attempt to have strength for tonight. He walked upstairs realizing how empty things looked without Buffy. He looked at the bed and finally let the tears fall. He missed Buffy so much. He hoped she was okay. He was going to make whoever took his Buffy away from him pay. They would have to die. He shrugged off his duster and fell onto the bed fully clothed and with tears falling down his cheeks, and fell into a fitful slumber.


@}-'--, --'--, --'--, -{@



Buffy woke up to the sound of someone demanding, “Who are you?”

Buffy blinked trying to focus her eyes, which hurt so much from crying herself to sleep and tried to talk but her mouth was all dry and her throat was hoarse from screaming earlier.

The guy questioned, “You’re human right?”

Buffy nodded and he handed her a soft drink from McDonalds with a straw in it. She sucked it greedily feeling hungry since she hadn’t eaten since before Passions. She sighed and replied hoping to sound normal enough, “I’m human. I’m just a human girl. What do you want with me?”

The man repeated himself, “Who are you?”

She shrugged then realized that wouldn’t get her anywhere, “Buffy. I was in the cemetery with my boyfriend and you attacked me.”

Honestly she couldn’t really remember but she had a good idea they did do exactly that. The man replied coolly. “You were attacked by vampires. You were fighting them fine though. You were bitten by one. He marked you. I was wondering if you were some kind of weird half breed we hadn’t run into before.”

Buffy spit at him, “I’m no half breed. I’m a high school student or I was until I ran away. Now let me go!”

She struggled against the bonds and he chuckled, “You aren’t going anywhere until we let you. Those are shackles strong enough to hold even the strongest of demons. We’ve tested them so relax. We get to ask the questions. Now why were you able to fight off the vampires?”

Buffy sighed and replied without thinking, “Self defense classes plus karate.”

The man nodded obviously satisfied with that answer, “I can believe that. So why are you marked by a vampire? You get attacked? Is it dead? Or is it still after you? Are you sure you aren’t some half-breed? I’ve never seen a human marked and live through it.”

Buffy repeated herself, “I got bit, and the vampire dusted himself by falling on a branch which is how I first leaned that they existed. I’m not a half-breed. He just died before he could finish killing me I guess.”

The man nodded again, “Well get comfortable. We are keeping you here until we figure out what to do with you. The boss plans to see you in a few hours at nightfall. He’s at his normal job right now. Want anymore of this soda?”

Buffy nodded and she drank as much as she could stomach knowing she was still starved. He threw the rest of the soda into the trash and walked out of the room leaving Buffy again in silence in the dark, alone. Tears began to fall again as Buffy struggled against the bonds holding her only to lead herself into an exhausted sleep missing Spike like crazy.