Author's Chapter Notes:
Last chapter for today. There are 5 more left plus an epilogue and still some action to take place. Hope you are still enjoying it!

Chapter 30: New Found Abilities



Buffy dreamed a strange dream but awoke feeling content. She felt Spike’s arms around her holding her close and making her feel so safe. She had no doubt in her mind; she would live a long life as long as Spike was by her side. He would never let any harm come to her. She knew that and trusted that. She closed her eyes and snuggled closer as she heard Spike say, ‘Hope she doesn’t regret it this morning.’

Buffy grinned and said, ‘Definitely not but you can talk to me like I’m here and awake you know.’

Spike jumped out of bed and shouted, “Bloody Hell!”

Buffy looked at him confused and her thoughts echoed out again, ‘Did I do something wrong? Perhaps I hurt him. Is he okay?’

Spike held his head staring at Buffy not understanding what was happening. Buffy looked even more worried and thought, ‘Did the claim hurt him? Does it do something horrible to vampires? I think I’m okay.’ She said out loud, “What’s wrong?”

Spike looked at her and shouted, “What’s wrong? What’s wrong?? I’ll tell you what is bloody wrong. I can hear your thoughts. Think something Slayer. Think anything at all. Something I wouldn’t bloody know otherwise.”

Buffy frowned and thought, ‘I wish we had a waffle machine so we could make chocolate chip waffles.’

Spike whispered, “I’ll buy you a waffle machine and chocolate chips when we go out but bloody Hell! I could hear that!”

Buffy looked shocked, “Can I hear you too?”

Spike thought, ‘Of course you can, pet. It’s a two way claim.’ Spike hadn’t moved his lips but Buffy had heard his thoughts as though he was saying them out loud.

She screamed and shouted as she realized what that meant, “Oh my God so I will never be able to think anything again. Can we turn it off? Can we undo it? Damn it, I can’t handle this. Do you know anyone who was claimed before?”

Spike shook his head thinking hard then he nodded, “Be right back. Well you can come too.”

Buffy followed behind him as he called up someone who she didn’t know. “Ransom? Yea it’s me. Well I can’t bloody well go see you in person can I? I’m in some little town in California. You’re in California too? Well I want to know about claiming. We have some serious issues and you’re the only one I can think of who might have a bloody clue about this stuff. Sure, 145 Whitting Road. We’re in Patterson. Bloody Hell, you’re in L.A.? We are about 3 hours from there. Sure, sure. You can meet my mate when you arrive. Sure just use the front door. There’s a porch that covers it so you won’t dust while we invite you in. Oh yeah. Well eat before you come or just don’t eat near my Buffy. Well I’ll tell you why when you get here. Sure, no mate, not Drusilla. Just leave already okay? Thanks, see you soon.”

Buffy looked up at Spike who had just hung up the phone. Her mind was racing and it was giving him a headache. He whispered, “Come here pet. Let me help you relax. Your thoughts are giving me a bloody headache.”

She followed him as he went into the living room and turned on the television and found some random thing to watch on television. He patted the place next to him and tried not to think anything but couldn’t help it and she frowned, “This is bad isn’t it? Even you think it is bad. I can hear your thoughts.”

Spike sighed and pulled her down to curl up next to him and he kissed her forehead and he felt her snuggle up against him. The only thoughts he heard from her for a bit was about how comfy he was so he smiled as he relaxed and they both snuggled quietly in each other’s arms, while both of their minds rested.


@}-'--, --'--, --'--, -{@



They awoke to the sound of the door being pounded on. Spike jumped up bringing Buffy with him and yelled, “Come in, Ransom.”

Buffy glared at Spike, “So anyone else have an invitation to our happy home?” Then she heard his voice saying, ‘Dru’ and she screamed at him, “Damn it why don’t we just open the freaking door and let all the vampires in the world in our house. How can you keep me safe if you are letting the vampire population through our door?”

Spike took her into his arms and kissed her and her thoughts calmed down and she whispered, “That’s cheating.”

Spike smiled, “I’ll never let anything happen to you. I’d stake Dru before she could harm you.”

Buffy sighed knowing he was right and went and sat down on the sofa in the living room leaving Spike and Ransom to do whatever they wanted to do without her. She flicked through the channels as they followed her into the living room. Spike took a seat next to Buffy and she leaned against him getting comfortable while Ransom sat in the chair across the room staring at them. Ransom frowned exclaiming, “Um, dude, she’s the Slayer.”

Spike replied, “Well yeah. Why don’t you share something I don’t know already like how this claim thing works?”

Ransom frowned shaking his head slightly, “I hope you know what you’re doing but okay what I’ve found out about claims. They are simple things really but oh so powerful. Probably the most powerful things in this world and no one knows about them nor wants to. I thought about claiming someone when I was younger. She got dusted before I could do it so I was thankful I didn’t. I have to admit though, if we were mated, I’m not sure she would have died. Anyway mating, you can sense each other no matter where the other is and what they are doing. The next part is tricky. I’m guessing you guys are in love based on your movements and actions. Love claims are really powerful. You can probably hear the other’s thoughts. You can learn to control that supposedly. The only couple I ever saw mated, used to turn that on and off so I’m sure with practice you guys can make that part work. You can feel the same feelings when the bond is opened. I don’t know anything other than that.”

Spike laughed, “You drove 3 hours to come and tell me that?”

Ransom shook his head, “Actually I drove down to see someone who lives in town. Well that wasn’t the plan until you called me. When I got off the phone with you, I called the girl and we are hooking up in a bit. I’m meeting her at a club. Want to go?”

Spike frowned tempted but not tempted enough. He replied, “I think we had better work on this claim thing before going out in public. Sorry.”

Ransom nodded understandingly, “When you guys get situated give me a call and we will hook up. I’m living in L.A. for a while.”

Spike saluted Ransom, “Thanks mate, I really mean that, thanks.”

Buffy stayed quiet but nodded to the vampire who quietly let himself out.