Author's Chapter Notes:
Once again Brittany came through with more chapters. For those reading the Big Battle fiction, it's put on hold until I can find someone to beta it or until Brittany finishes up the other story she just started for me. These chapters will finish this up. Hope you enjoy!!

Chapter 31: Learning to Deal



Buffy looked at Spike and started to cry whispering, “I’m scared Spike. What if I’m never able to be normal again?”

Spike rushed over to her side and hugged her tight carefully guiding her back to the living room. He sat down and she, without a word, curled up beside him and closed her eyes letting the feeling of calm from him overpower her feeling of panic. Spike whispered and really meant it, “We will get through this. It’s just going to take practice. Ready? Let’s try to see if we can sense this bond thing that Ransom was talking about. Can you try?”

Buffy nodded and kept her eyes closed as she did what Giles always had her practice by opening up her senses and mind. She felt a slight little part of her brain that was pouring thoughts from Spike. Spike smiled at her, as he was not able to hear Buffy’s thoughts anymore but still felt her feelings. He whispered, “I think you are doing it, pet. How?”

Buffy smiled and thought something and heard no reply so she spoke out loud, “I closed my eyes and concentrated on my mind. I learned some relaxation techniques with Giles when I first met him. I used those to see a tiny part of my brain, which allowed thoughts to flow through. Here watch if I think hard enough I can open it again.” She closed her eyes and focused and he felt her think, ‘See like this. It’s kind of fun. I can always talk to you even when we are in a room full of people. Just wait until we can test it out! God this so rules.’

Spike laughed and then requested, “Turn that off for a minute, pet. I want to try it.” Buffy closed her mind and snuggled up against Spike waiting for his thoughts in her brain to quiet down and sure enough after about 2 full minutes, her mind was empty. Spike grinned and shouted loudly, “I think I did it!”

Buffy nodded and encouraged him, “Now reopen it.”

Spike reopened it and both their thoughts flowed so Buffy offered her thoughts on how it worked, “I think it’s two way. You open, so mine opens. That’s fine though. I don’t mind. I wonder how powerful this thing is. Oo I wonder how making love will feel. Think we can do it from different places? We should have asked your friend that. God this is so amazing!”

Buffy was all excited now. She would never be alone again. Spike watched her excitement and felt complete and whole. It was like a part of himself was finally found, the part he was missing all along and never knew it. He smiled and kissed her while thinking, ‘Bloody Hell, Slayer, I love you so much.’

He gave her another kiss as he heard her answer back, ‘I love you too Spike. Always and forever.’


@}-'--, --'--, --'--, -{@



Spike made Buffy some steak and potatoes for dinner while making sure the potatoes had bacon and cheese on them to make Buffy happy since she had declared those were her favorite. As they sat down to eat, Buffy asked hesitantly, “Can we go back to Sunnydale? Or actually here let me do this.” She opened her mind so he could see her thoughts as she tried it again, “I miss my family and I feel complete and whole again and I’m dying to try this whole claim thing and test it out a bit. I don’t want to tell the others right away. I want to instead, if you agree, well… I want us to move in together like here. I want us to own our own little house. I want a pet too if you don’t mind. I’ve never had a pet but if you don’t want one I understand. I just I love you and want to be with you but I think I’m ready to face Sunnydale.”

Spike studied her for a moment and replied, “Ok.”

Buffy whispered softly then, “If I’m not ready, will you bring me back here?”

Spike smiled at her and responded, “Anytime you want to run away, I’ll gladly escort you.”

Buffy reached across the table to hold his hand in hers as she whispered, “Two more days here. Then we will see about moving back. Spike… Do you know anyone we can call or talk to about getting a place lined up before we return? I just didn’t want us to be stuck.”

Spike replied calmly, “I think we should head back and give your mom a chance to help with the decision before we sign a lease or something.”

Buffy nodded and calmly enjoyed her steak and potatoes as she smiled at him, “I didn’t know vampires could really enjoy their food but you do. I can feel it.”

Spike chuckled, “Good food is great.”

Buffy grinned and finished off her plate then eagerly announced, “Bed time?”

Spike laughed shaking her head at her eagerness, “Let me clean up first and then we will head to bed.”

Buffy nodded and watched as he carried the dishes into the kitchen and she put them into the dishwasher and set it to run overnight. He then lifted her into his arms and bounced up the stairs to make sweet love to her.


@}-'--, --'--, --'--, -{@



Spike woke up with Buffy in his arms and held her a little tighter. She had said before bed that when they woke up, they would pack up and head out. Spike was to call up Ted and Cara and let them know their plans. Spike sighed realizing he should do that soon. The sun had already set. He carefully laid Buffy down in his spot as she snuggled in trying to find him but finally gave up and continued to sleep. He slipped into his pants and quietly went downstairs. He threw in the last load of laundry they would do at the house. He smiled as he put Buffy’s clothes in with his. It felt so right to be doing domestic things like that. He then called up Ted. Ted seemed sad to see them go but promised the house would always be open to them even if just for vacations. Spike made a promise to let Ted know of their new address so they can come to visit with the new baby that was due any day now. He also said to tell Cara thank you for the talk to Buffy and that they were now officially mated. Both Ted and Cara were delighted and Ted promised to call if they give him a number to reach them at, when the baby is due. It was a sad conversation but Spike felt better letting them know.

He then sadly went about packing up a few items into the cooler to bring home with them. He left the ice cream but took the leftover potatoes for Buffy to munch on while they drove. He took a few sodas, and the bags of blood that were left. He also packed up their bathroom items into his bag along with some of their clothes and started to pack Buffy’s as well. He decided to leave the items they had bought for the house in it so that they can indeed return for vacations. He then went to wake up Buffy. He crawled into bed next to her and she snuggled up to him whispering, “Spike?”

Spike gave her a gentle kiss, “I need to know if you want anything else packed. I packed our clothes, some food, our shower items, but I’m thinking of leaving the rest here in case we return.”

Buffy nodded, “I agree. You have money to replace the stuff for the new house right?”

Spike nodded, “I already told Ted and Cara bye for you. I promised we would let them know where we settled so they can call and visit. Cara is due any day now.”

Buffy smiled, “Did you leave me any clothes for today?”

Spike grinned, “Of course. Tan pants, blue top although I preferred the red. I did our laundry too so you could change it up if you want. Left out your tan boots as well so that you match.”

Buffy smiled as she sat up announcing with a slight sigh, “You’re too good to me. I guess this is our day to be brave and face the world. You promise you will bring me back here if things go badly, right?”

Spike nodded with a promise, “This place will be ready and waiting for our return if we need it, love. I promise.”

Buffy got up and got dressed quickly and took one last look at the house, “I’m really going to miss this place.” Spike sadly patted Buffy’s shoulder in an effort to comfort them both. They were both feeling sad but knew they couldn’t run forever, “We will be back someday. I’m sure.”

Buffy took his hand and together they walked out of the house since Spike had already packed up the car. They climbed into the car and started back to Sunnydale.