Author's Chapter Notes:
Two songs are in this chapter. The first is Going through the motions written by Joss Whedon and sang by Buffy Summers AKA Michelle Gellar. The second is What Hurts the Most by Rascal Flatts. No copyright infringement intended.

Chapter 8: Battling



Buffy sighed sitting in the club.

Lorne took Angel aside saying, “Apple Strudel, she’s not having fun. See if you can get her to sing. Does she like to sing?”

Angel shrugged saying, “I’ve never heard her sing so I’m not sure.”

Lorne patted his arm saying, “Well either ask her to dance or have her sing. She’s not happy right now and her sighs are even sending out bored vibes.”

Angel nodded and took Lorne’s advice saying. “Buffy why don’t you sing something. It’s fun. I even sang for Lorne a few times.”

Buffy looked at Lorne who looked so hopeful she couldn’t let the green demon down so she said, “Ok but I get to choose right?”

Lorne nodded and took her to the stage saying, “We have a beauty here to sing for you tonight. Not sure what she will choose but I’m sure we are in for a treat. Let’s here for Buffy!”

Buffy whispered to Lorne, “I need you to sing the demon parts if that’s ok.” Lorne smiled at her saying, “Sure thing buttercup.”

Going through the motions By Buffy Summers

Every single night the same arrangement/I go out and fight the fight/Still I always feel the strangest strangement/ Nothing here is real, nothing here is right/I’ve been making shows of trading blows/just hoping no one knows/walking through the part/nothing seems to penetrate my heart/I was always brave and kind of righteous/now I find I’m waivering/crawl out of your grave you’ll find this fight/just doesn’t mean a thing

Lorne sang out: she ain’t got that swing
Buffy continued: Thanks for noticing!
Lorne continued: She does pretty well with things from hell/but lately we can tell she’s been going through the motions/faking it somehow/she’s not even half the girl she…ow
Buffy grinned continuing: Will I stay this way forever/sleep walk through my life’s endeavor
Lorne folded his hands together saying: How can I repay you…?
Buffy turned away form him saying: Whatever! going through the motions/loosing all my drive/I can’t even see if this is really me/and I just want to be alive!

The crowd cheered and Lorne frowned knowing what this girl was going through. The crowd yelled, “Encore! Encore!”

Buffy laughed and said, “Ok one more.” The crowd sang and she watched as Lorne stepped down to go sit with Angel and the gang as Buffy started her next song.


@}-’--, --’--, --’--, -{@



Lorne looked at Angel saying, “I know you love that girl up there but her heart is singing another tune. Angel cakes you are going to have to let her go to live her destiny.”

Angel looked at Lorne saying, “Destinies change, as do hearts. She just needs time to be reminded I’m her one true love and that Spike was just convenient. I know her heart Lorne, I’m in it.”

Lorne nodded saying, “You are in it but I don’t think it’s the part driving.”

Angel shook his head not wanting to believe it saying, “She just needs time to remember what we were like and whom she loves. In time she’ll remember. I know she will.”

Lorne didn’t look convinced but said no more as he listened to Buffy’s heart and soul bleeding on the floor for her lost love.


@}-’--, --’--, --’--, -{@



What Hurts the Most By Rascal Flatts

I can take the rain on the roof of this empty house/That don’t bother me/I can take a few tears now and then and just let them out/I’m not afraid to cry every once in a while/Even though going on with you gone still upsets me/There are days every now and again I pretend I’m ok/But that’s not what gets me/What hurts the most/was being so close/And having so much to say/And watching you walk away/And never knowing/what could have been/And seeing that loving you/Is what I was trying to do/It’s hard to deal with the pain of losing you everywhere I go/But I’m doing it/It’s hard to force that smile when I see our old friends and I’m alone/Still harder/Getting up, getting dressed, living with this regret/But I know if I could do it over/I would trade, give away all the words that I saved in my heart/That I left unspoken/What hurts the most/Is being so close/And having so much to say/And watching you walk away/Never knowing/What could have been/and not seeing that loving you/Is what I was trying to do/What hurts the most/is being so close/And having so much to say/And watching you walk away/And never knowing/What could have been/And not seeing that loving you/Is what I was trying to do/Not seeing that loving you/That’s what I was trying to do..ooooh

Buffy wiped a few tears that had fallen and heard the crowd go wild.

She bowed and jumped off the stage barely taking the time to hand Lorne back the microphone. She rushed into the bathroom to dry her eyes.

Fred followed her in and said, “That was amazing. You can really sing girl.”

Buffy smiled at Fred and smiled saying, “The crowd seemed to like it.”

Fred nodded and said, “You look ok you know. If you flush the toilet the guys will just think you drank too much.”

Buffy smiled gratefully and returned to the table with Fred and barely even noticed as the table got completely quiet the moment she returned.


@}-’--, --’--, --’--, -{@



Lorne looked at Angel saying, “I’m serious Angel. Singing doesn’t lie. That sweet girl in there is dying for Spike’s return and he’s crying for her too.”

Angel looked surprised, “Spike sang?”

Lorne nodded, “He sang for me last night. They are two lost souls cream puff. You have got to reconsider.”

Angel shook his head saying, “She’s on her way back here. I don’t want to hear another word about it. She’s just confused is all.”

Lorne sighed but said no more.

Wesley listened closely to the conversation determined to find out once and for all what is going on. Something was really wrong with this picture.


@}-’--, --’--, --’--, -{@



Spike sighed staring at the cave. It had taken almost 2 hours just to get there and sunrise was arriving fast. The camel lovers didn’t want to bring him where the cave was but reluctantly and with some threatening of being peckish for human blood, they agreed.

So here he was outside the cave that contained at least two Polegi demons. The men had set up camp in a tent nearby so it didn’t appear like they were going to help so Spike was on his own. He was itching for some violence anyway.

He was pissed off and rightly so after these last two missions. He just wanted to go back to L.A. shove the scroll up Angel’s ass and call it a night.

He entered the cave vamping out to see his surroundings better and found himself staring into the face of three demons. He sighed knowing this was going to hurt and hoped the 5 water skins that were left would be enough to heal him. He threw a punch at the one demon aiming it so he bumped into the other demon causing them both to fall down. This left him face to face with the last demon that he side kicked causing him to tumble down over the other two.

He jumped on the last demon, who was on the top of the pile, punching him over and over again as the other two managed to get up. Together they pulled Spike off him and into a wall, which he hit hard. He felt his bones protest but not break luckily so he jumped up back to face two demons.

The one he had badly beaten was still lying on the floor trying to get his bearings. So that left just two demons left for now.

He threw a punch at one hitting him in the face cutting his knuckles on his big yellow teeth and feeling ooze collect on his hand as he round kicked the other in the stomach causing him to double over in pain.

Only one demon was left standing upright so he grabbed a hold of a rock that was hanging above his head and used that to lift himself off the ground and walked up the front of the demon to pummel him with a solid kick as Spike swung still holding on to the rock.

The second demon got up right as the third hit the ground and Spike twisted to kick him hard then swung off the rock to land on him and started pummeling him over and over again in the face and head to hopefully knock him senseless. The demon lifted his head to try to bite Spike and Spike used the opportunity twist his neck killing him on the spot.

Spike jumped up flinging the ooze off his hands and pulled the first demon off the ground and managed to twist his neck too as the third three demon picked up him and threw him against the wall again cutting his upper lip and above his eye.

He roared as he kicked the demon against the wall knocking it out before he broke its neck. He then kicked the bodies to the side and sighed looking around. He found three scrolls, which he tucked in his pocket and looked around for a place to rest.


@}-’--, --’--, --’--, -{@



Buffy rushed into the vampire’s nest followed by Gunn and Angel.

Angel took the right, Gunn took the left, and Buffy took the center. She threw a punch at the first vampire knocking down the ones behind him. She grinned and jumped on him punching his face before dusting him just as she kicked the one beside her to give her time to roll over to stand up.

She glanced around seeing Gunn and Angel doing ok so she side kicked a vampire and then another knocking both backwards and then joined her feet together to double kick the vampire in front of her landing gracefully back on both feet. She swung around bringing her left leg up to kick another vampire and then jumped on him to dust him as well.

She felt the first rush she has felt in a while as she turned around to dust another vampire who was leaping in her direction. He had swung once and missed but on the second round managed to hit her above her eye cutting it. She kicked him to the ground dusting him before he even hit the surface.

She grinned wiping the dust off her hands as she jumped up while turning around and kicked another vampire who had decided to jump in the bunch. She knocked him down and noticed he had blond hair like Spike. She got lost for a minute until she noticed he got the upper hand.

He punched her eye cutting above it causing her blood to fill the air making the vampire more crazed. She struggled under him and finally managed to roll over and dusted him as she felt tears sting her eyes.

She looked up to see Gunn offer her a hand up, which she accepted.

She quickly brushed away the tears just as Gunn noticed them and turned away saying, “I saw you kicking those vampire’s asses. Angel wasn’t lying when he said you are a lean mean fighting machine.”

Buffy smiled slightly and said, “You aren’t too bad yourself from what I did see.”

He shrugged saying, “When you have lived on the streets, you pick up a thing or two about survivor. It’s fight or die. Nothing fancy.”

Buffy looked over and shrugged dusting the vampire fighting Angel and said, “Let’s get out of here.” She was sporting a cut over her eye from a punch she didn’t dodge but other than that, she was in pretty good shape. She was dying to get back.