Author's Chapter Notes:
Betas: Mabel_Marsters and Tanit
Just a quick note to let everyone know that this story is now complete in rough draft with 21 chapters! I've had some reviews that weren't reviews, but questions about the story. I'll will answer all questions to the best of my ability, if I'm sent an email. I won't give away plot or spoilers in responses to questions in reviews out of courtesy for my other readers.

Thanks to all who have left reviews. RL is attempting to settle down, but getting reviews letting me know that you are enjoying the story has really been a bright spot in my life at the moment.
Buffy leaned back into the plush leather seat and let her head touch the headrest. She closed her eyes and attempted to let the soft whine of the private jet lull her to sleep. It was an impossible thing to hope for, as they were ten minutes into a thirty-minute flight. They were still climbing and the pilot informed them that they would begin descent soon after reaching cruising altitude.

She wished now that she’d told Angel that she did mind if he tried to take a nap, but the poor man looked tuckered out. Before the jet left, their stewardess had offered them drinks. Buffy had declined, but Angel knocked back a shot of whiskey and closed his eyes. Spike had grabbed the drink that she’d turned down and drank it quickly, then asked for another.

All day she’d wondered where he was and now it made sense why he hadn’t been at the house. She was not happy with the fact that he would be glaring at her during her entire evening with Angel. Not that she cared if the date with Angel was perfect, but Buffy knew that she was going to be on edge all night.

Buffy opened her eyes and stared at Spike. The moment he got on the plane, Spike had sat down and buckled up. Then, he’d check the belt and pulled on the strap to tighten it twice before the plane took off. Her eyes narrowed as she got a good look at him now.

“You don’t look so good,” she said.

All her life, Buffy thought that the expression turning green was just that, an expression. But now she knew different. Spike’s skin was actually tinged slightly green. Angel opened his eyes and stared at Spike too. The other cameraman sitting next to Spike put his camera in his lap and looked on with wide eyes as well.

“Man, Spike,” Carlos said, “you weren’t kidding when you said that flying made you nervous. Don’t barf on me, okay?”

“Bugger off, all of you,” Spike said, his voice weak. “Just leave me be.”

He stared at Buffy, his brows furrowed. She wanted to ask him what his problem was, but with Angel and Carlos present, she couldn’t so she bit her lip and glared back until she couldn’t stand it any longer. She unbuckled her seatbelt and rummaged around until she found a thick white paper bag. She came back and tossed it in Spike’s lap.

Angel gripped her hand and squeezed it. “I’m sorry I’m so tired, but I promise to be better company when we touch down. They have a lot of fun things planned for us.”

Doing her best to ignore the two cameramen across from them, Buffy smiled and squeezed his hand back. “It’s okay. I’m feeling pretty tired myself. But I’m glad to be out of that house.”

“Why? Don’t you get along with the other girls?”

“A few of them, but there are a couple that…”

“What?” asked Angel, leaning closer to her. “You can tell me. I want to know if there are problems. I don’t get to see much of the interaction between you all, but some of the other girls have made similar comments.”

Buffy shook her head. “I don’t want to spend our time together bitching about the other girls. They haven’t done anything that bad. Just snide comments and other catty behavior. You should decide for yourself who you like.”

“You are a gem, you know that? Most of the other girls have talked down about the others.” Buffy was surprised when he suddenly chuckled and said, “I won’t say who, but one of the girls told me that there’s been some hanky-panky going on with the crew members when I’m not around.”

“What?”

Somehow, she was able to resist the urge to look at Spike. Her mind raced through all the times that she and Spike had been alone. Who knew? They had been very careful. And there had only been a few kisses. The only one that she knew who had an idea was Faith. She wouldn’t… Buffy sighed. She didn’t know Faith all that well, but what would she have to gain by telling Angel? The girl had practically begged her to stay on the show and not walk away.

“I asked around,” Angel said. “None of the other girls or Chris seem to know anything, so who knows. Have you seen anything going on?”

“Uh…um. N--”

Spike chose that moment to make retching sounds into the opened barf bag. Buffy looked on in disgusted horror as the bag ballooned out. Spike gripped the top of the bag closed and before anyone could move, he slammed his hand against the bag. They all ducked, expecting to be showered with puke, but there was a loud bang and…nothing.

“What the hell is wrong with you?” Angel yelled.

Buffy caught sight of Carlos’ big grin before he could turn away. Spike shrugged. “Sorry. Was bored.”

Angel pointed at him and said, “You’re supposed to keep quiet and capture video, not annoy the hell out of us.”

“Actually, Carlos is doing the filming right now. Only need two of us when we touch down,” Spike said.

Buffy tried not to smile, but the peeved looked on Angel’s face was truly comical. Unable to look at him any longer, she made the mistake of glancing at Spike. He raised one eyebrow at her and curled his tongue under his teeth. She coughed to cover her laugh and was saved by the pilot talking over the intercom.

“We are now getting ready to descend. Please fasten your seat belts.”

Spike sobered up. He leaned down and picked up his camera, clutching it close to him. He stared at her and said, “Ah, Buffy, don’t you think you’d better buckled up?”

She glanced down and reached for the strap. Angel leaned over her and pressed against her. “Let me help you with that.”



~ * ~ * ~



The camera was like an extension of him. He’d been shouldering one since he was eighteen, and five minutes into a job, he usually forgot it was there. Spike had the controls memorized and he automatically pressed the zoom when he wanted to see something close up. Now, he zoomed in on the backs of Buffy and Angel as they sat at a black jack table. He could see Carlos across the table and to his left, but as long as he couldn’t see the other cameraman in the viewfinder, they were golden.

The casino was doing a brisk business and the sound of slot machines and conversations filled the air. The area around Buffy and Angel was packed with people, but they had been notified about the filming, so most of them ignored the cameras and the sound equipment.

Spike moved closer and scowled at the couple, laughing and having a great time. Angel put his arm around her waist and gave her a squeeze.

“Are you having fun?” Angel asked her.

Buffy smiled and showed him her cards. “I keep winning. And I’ve never done this before.”

“Beginners luck or,” Angel said, looking down her dress and lowering his hand to just below her hip, “it could be that I’m your good luck charm.”

Buffy turned her head and glanced down at his hand. She sighed and shifted her attention back to her cards. Spike was slowly going crazy. He wanted to tear Angel’s arm right off his body and when he was done with that git, he wanted to shake Buffy and ask her why she let Angel touch her like that. Spike got a little closer, the camera peering just past Angel’s head, all the while Spike kept his eye on the that offending hand. Angel gave her another squeeze and Spike snapped. He swung the camera as hard as he could, smacking Angel on the temple.

The bachelor fell sideways and right into Buffy. They both tried to balance, but hung on for only a second before they were both tumbling to the floor. Wincing, Spike berated himself for not thinking things through before he acted. He set his camera down and rushed to help Buffy get up.

“Sorry about that. Lost my concentration,” Spike said to them, as they smoothed out their clothes.

Angel rubbed his temple and glowered at him. “What’s your problem, man?

“No, problem. Just an accident.”

“Well, I’m getting tired of you. One more accident and I’ll ask that they take you off the crew.”

Spike asked Buffy if she was okay, but she just stared at him curiously.

The director came rushing over with instructions on what to do next and a stern look for Spike. “Get back in to position and watch where you’re going.”

On his break, Spike ordered a drink and purchased a few chips. He played roulette until the boss called everyone back for filming. After looking forlornly at the five chips that he had left, he pocketed them and jogged down to the restaurant.

He had to endure an hour of boring dinner conversation where Angel went on about the hotel he was slowly renovating while he kept busy with his private detective agency, before the couple was escorted to the theatre in the hotel. Drinks were set at a V.I.P. table in the empty theatre and they sat down while Carlos and Spike were given instructions on where to stand and what shots to make sure not to miss. Then the bulk of the crew, including the director, left the building.

The dim lights went off and only the stage and a small area in front of Buffy and Angel was lit up. A woman with a guitar came out, subjecting Spike to the most awful live music he’d ever heard. Spike cringed and was very glad that he could train his camera on Buffy and not on the entertainment. When the singer changed tempos and sang a love song, Angel guided Buffy into the spotlight on the dance floor and they began to sway together.

Spike backed away, deeper in the shadows, but kept the camera zoomed in. Buffy looked incredible in her little black dress. He swallowed and closed his eyes. Now he wished he hadn’t asked to go on this trip. Keeping the camera so that the view was from the waist up, he let his eye wander down lower. She wore a strappy pair of stiletto heels. Spike stifled a groan and chastised himself for getting carried away with how he was feeling about the blonde woman.

Even her bloody ankles are a turn on.

His attention snapped to Angel’s hands around her waist. They inched lower. Spike put his free hand in his pocket and felt the black gambling chips. He pulled one out and just as Angel leaned in to kiss Buffy, Spike chucked it. He fought the urge to yell bull’s eye when it hit Angel on the cheek and they pulled apart.

“What the hell was that?” Angel asked, glancing around the room.

Spike did his best to look just as shocked as the rest of them. The musician paused as well, but when Angel waved at her, she started up the music again. Buffy smiled at Angel and he gathered her in his arms saying, “Now, where were we?”

Not thirty seconds later and Angel’s hands were roaming again. Spike palmed another chip. He’d gotten away with the first one. Did he dare throw another one? Angel caressed Buffy’s back and slowly inched his hand down. Oh, yeah, he could. His second shot wasn’t as accurate. This one barely clipped Angel’s ear, but it did the trick. Spike was satisfied when they broke apart again.

He busied himself with adjusting the settings on his camera as Angel barked orders for the lights to be turned on. Carlos slowly made his way over to Spike as Angel picked up both of the casino chips and held them up, asking who threw them.

Carlos leaned in to Spike and whispered, “I saw you. What’s going on?”

Spike quickly put a finger to his lips and shook his head. “Later.”

The director and his assistants came in as the musician left. They concluded that some pranksters must have snuck in, thrown the chips, and taken off. The director decided it was time to get separate reactions to the date from the couple. Spike offered to follow Buffy and one interviewer out to another room, leaving Carlos with Angel.

They set up in a small room with a couch. The interviewer asked Buffy how she thought the date was going so far and if she thought she’d be getting a rose or not? She said it was hard to tell. He asked her a few more questions before he gathered his clipboard and told them both to follow him back to the theatre.

Buffy said she needed to powder her nose and she’d be there in a minute. After she left the room, Spike followed the interviewer out.

“I’ll meet you there in a few minutes, mate. Need some coffee,” Spike said.

He watched the man until he turned a corner and then he went in search of the nearest bathrooms. Spike waited for a few minutes by the ladies’ door and Buffy came out. She stopped abruptly and sighed when she saw Spike there.

“You’d better stop interfering with the show are you’re going to end up getting fired.”

“Don’t care. That git had his paws all over you. Should have more respect.”

She leaned against the wall and crossed her arms. “Says the guy who practically pinned me to the cupboards a few days after we met and suggested that we go skinny dipping together.”

Spike snapped his mouth shut. They stared at each other for a few seconds. He could feel the electricity flowing between them. Finally, he found his voice. “At least I had the decency to apologize for that. I doubt that arrogant ponce in there would apologize for getting fresh with you.”

Buffy blinked and walked by him. With her back turned, and as he hurried to catch up, she said, “You’re probably right.”

“If he gives you the rose, don’t accept it.”

She walked faster and said, “Don’t tell me what to do.”