Author's Chapter Notes:
Betas: Mabel Marsters and Tanit. Thank you both, for all your hard work.
“Oh, my, God!” Dawn said over the phone. She squealed and then said, “I can’t believe you didn’t tell me this until now. I’m so going to slap you when I get home for Easter.” Buffy opened her mouth to say something, but her sister screeched and called out to a friend, “Annie, Annie! You are not going to believe this, but my older sister is going to be on a reality show!”



Then Buffy had to wait while the two girls talked in rushed voices and squealed together. She was patient for as long as it took to stir her spaghetti sauce.



“Dawn? Hello! I’m still here you know.”



“Oh, sorry, Buffy. Tell me about it. This is just sooo cool!”



She told her sister about Willow getting the ball rolling behind her back and then told her about the first audition. “I went back two more times and then they called me back today. They had all the hopefuls – that’s what they called us – sit in a room together and just talk while cameramen roamed the room. After the audition, they called us in one by one and when it was my turn, they told me on the spot that I was in.”



“So the guy is the one who lost last season?” Dawn asked.



Buffy leaned against the counter and smiled. “Yes. His name is Angel and I’m getting really excited about meeting him.



“I don’t know, Buffy, he seemed kind of broody to me. You really liked him?”



“Yes. He was soulful. A thinker.”



“I don’t know why you’re always attracted to the melancholy type. I mean, don’t you want to date a guy that knows how to have fun?” Dawn asked.



“Angel knows how to have fun. He went jet skiing, snorkeling, and played golf during the last season.” When Dawn scoffed, Buffy added, “And hey, he was runner up out of all those guys, so Nina thought there was something to him.”



“Buffy, that Nina chick picked a florist from Idaho as the winner. She wasn’t exactly into exciting.”



Buffy laughed, but said, “She was looking to find Mr. Right. And she was very practical about it. They actually got married, which not too many of the other seasons stars did.”



“I guess you’re right, but please, whatever you do, stay long enough in the game to get that home visit, ‘cause I wanna be on TV.”



“I’ll do my best,” Buffy said sarcastically. “Look, I’ve got to go. My dinner is ready.”



“Okay, but when do you have to leave for the show?”



“In two weeks. And if I stay long enough, I might not be back in time for your spring break.”



“That’s okay. I’ll invite a few friends to come stay with me. It will be party central.”



“Oh, joy.”





~ * ~ * ~





The next two weeks flew by in a blur of activity for Buffy. She had to train her replacement at work and make sure she left things in good order. There was shopping to be done. Most of which was accomplished right in the store with Willow, Victoria, and a few other friends obsessing over every outfit she’d be bringing.



Their top makeup girl gave her a total of five lessons on how to apply her makeup just right for being on TV. She didn’t have the heart to explain to her that in most cases, there would be makeup people on set to do it for her.



The night before she was to leave, her friends threw her a good-bye and good luck party at the Bronze. Depending on how long Buffy lasted on the show, she might not be able to see or hear from them for seven weeks, so she enjoyed every minute of the night. Oz and his band provided the live entertainment, while Willow, Xander and, Jessie bought her drinks and kept her laughing. They’d danced and talked the night away and she hadn’t had time to get nervous about the next day.



Now was the time to get nervous. Despite her late night, she’d had plenty of sleep since she didn’t have to be up early. She arrived at the studio and suddenly she felt like a star. People rushed to grab her large collection of luggage for her and add it to the growing pile in a van. A man carried her garment bag and backpack, and escorted her to the place where she could get dressed.



She introduced herself to the others in her dressing room, but then kept quiet as the other girls chatted in excited voices. Then she was ushered down a hall and into a makeup chair. The woman doing her hair praised her for her choice of dress, but Buffy wasn’t too sure. If felt like going to the prom all over again, all the girls in flashy silk and satin. Her simple green dress could pass for a prom dress, but she didn’t think she would stand out like some of the girls with their low-cut and short dresses.



Now, they waited outside the building with a group of cameramen for the limos to show up. They pulled up one after another and a woman with a clipboard called out seven names. A cameraman got in first and then one by one the brightly dressed ladies followed him in. The woman peeked in the open window and gave them instructions, but Buffy could not hear what they were. Then the lady moved down to the next limo and called off six more names and repeated the process.



When the third limo pulled up, one of the assistant directors called her name. She stepped forward with the others and recognized their cameraman right away. He gracefully climbed in with his cumbersome equipment and then she was pushed forward to get in next. Spike sat as far back as he could and held his hand up to stop her sliding farther down the seat.



“That’s far enough. Don’t get any closer or you’ll blur the shot.”



He told the girl who slid down the other side the same thing, so Buffy didn’t take his short words personally. She knew he didn’t want to be on this job, but she hoped he wouldn’t be such a downer the whole time.



The assistant director peeked in the window and said, “Get to know each other, ladies. There’s plenty of bubbly in the fridge. Enjoy!”



Then they were moving. At first, the girls were silent, sizing each other up, but the blonde across from Buffy started the ball rolling by introducing herself.



With a bright smile, she said, “Hi! I’m Harmony, and I’m here to have a good time.”

The others introduced themselves, Stacey, Alison, Maggie, and Kayla. Buffy doubted she would be able to remember all their names, but they seemed like nice girls. Harmony took out the glasses and passed them around, then smiled prettily at Spike and begged him to open the champagne for her.



“Sorry, love. Can’t put the camera down. Got strict orders.”



Buffy rolled her eyes and grabbed the bottle from Harmony, who couldn’t take her eyes off Spike. They were there to meet Angel, yet all the women in the car were drooling over the camera guy. If they knew that he thought they were all desperate bimbos, they wouldn’t be so eager to get his attention.



She popped the cork and then had the task of pouring for everyone. The other women drank liberally, talked loudly, and laughed too much. Buffy was quiet for the most part, unless they asked her a question. She sipped her champagne slowly, not wanting to get tipsy. And she was glad she did, because it turned out to be a twenty-minute drive to the Hollywood Hills where the Bachelor house was. Then they had to wait their turn to be introduced.



Buffy cringed when the others screamed as their limo pulled up and they got their first view of Angel. She then watch as one by one, the girls got out before her and introduced themselves.



Spike turned off his camera and gathered his things. All the while, he grumbled about silly women. Distracted by his colorful words, Buffy turned in her seat and watched him. When he realized that Buffy was staring at him, he asked, “So have you got a plan or strategy?”



“Uh… No. I’m just going to go out there and say hello. I guess.”



He looked her up and down and nodded. “Well, at least you aren’t acting fake like some of those others.”



“Buffy?” one of the producers called out. “Don’t keep Angel waiting.”



She looked out the window and didn’t see Harmony any more. How long had she kept them waiting? She groaned and Spike smiled at her. The heat from her embarrassment climbed from her neck to her cheeks. This was just great; now she was going to look like a red Popsicle in a green wrapper when she met Angel.