Author's Chapter Notes:
Betas: Mabel Marsters and Tanit. Two very helpful, wonderful people.
I don't know if I mentioned it, but the banner for this story was created by me. Just wanted to let it be known so no one thought I was stingy with credits. :)
Thank you, all, for reading and reviewing.
Not My Reality


Chapter Six


A loud snore woke Buffy up and she lay there for quiet some time, unable to fall back asleep. The dark room and the quiet breathing of her roommates soothed her, but she missed the quiet of her own apartment. Her stomach rumbled. She slipped out of bed and pulled the light blue silk nightie as far down as it would go. She smiled at the sleeping form of Faith in the next bed over. Even though the nightie was a little too big for Buffy, Faith insisted that she sleep in it. Faith was a study in contradictions. She didn’t own a dress, had more studded belts than anyone Buffy knew, but she wore silk and lace to bed.

With a smile, Buffy shook her head and left the sleeping girls. She stood in the hall and listened to see if she could hear movement in the house. All was still and quiet. On bare feet, she went to the bathroom. After washing her hands, she took the stairs lightly, hoping that the flushing of the toilet and the running of water in the sink hadn’t woken anyone else up.

She desperately needed a few minutes alone. Buffy had been getting lonely in her apartment all by herself before she came on this little adventure. But after being in the company of so many people, she longed for her tiny apartment. She was looking forward to having a bowl of cereal in the kitchen by herself.

Buffy gasped and wrapped her arms around her shoulders when she stepped into the kitchen. Spike looked up from the open fridge with a guilty expression on his face. She glanced behind her to see if anyone else was downstairs and then stared at his bare chest and black swim trunks.

“What are doing in here?”

“Sorry, love. Didn’t think anyone was awake. You want anything?”

She shook her head and he placed a beer can, a wedge of cheese, and a knife next to a loaf of bread on the island counter. Her common sense told her to turn around and go back up the stairs, but her feet wouldn’t obey. She stayed where she was and stared at him before asking, “What are you doing?”

“Couldn’t sleep. So I’ve been relaxing in the Jacuzzi.” He shrugged. “Got hungry and thirsty and this kitchen is closer than the trailer I’m staying in.”

His mischievous grin did something to her insides and so did the perfectly tanned, rippling muscles all over his torso. Buffy shifted her weight, but didn’t move from her spot by the door.

“You want a cheese sandwich?” he asked, with a mouthful of cheese.

Crinkling her nose, she shook her head.

“Suit yourself, but it’s obvious that you came down for a late night snack. Don’t mind me. There’s plenty of food.”

Now she felt stupid for just standing there. She went forward and hurriedly poured a bowl of cereal, very aware that his eyes never left her. She stood by the fridge and took a bite. Then she asked, “Are you even allowed to be in here?”

“Probably not. But I’m not one for following the rules.” He took a swig of his beer, keeping his blue eyes trained on her. “Why don’t you have a seat? I promise I won’t bite.”

Buffy scanned the room and then whispered, “Aren’t there hidden cameras all over this house?”

He laughed and took another drink.

“No. No hidden cameras that I know of. There are a few cameras set up outside near the pool, but they aren’t running during the night. If there were hidden cameras, they would have had to disclose that in the contract you signed.”

She sat down on the stool next to him and shook her head. “There were no disclosures about hidden cameras, but they did mention the ones outside by the pool.”

“I know those ones are turned off after filming shuts down for the day.” He grinned at her. “You wanna go take a dip in the Jacuzzi with me?”

“What? No.” Buffy pointed at the clock on the microwave. “It’s two o’clock in the morning and I have a big day tomorrow.”

“Live a little,” he said, trying to entice her.

She stirred what was the left of her cereal and then gazed into his eyes that suddenly were too close to her. God, he was so good looking.

“I…I shouldn’t. I’m here to meet Angel, and it wouldn’t be good if I got caught in the Jacuzzi with another guy. And besides, I don’t have a suit on.” The twinkle in his eye told her what he was thinking so she quickly added, “And there’s no way I’m going skinny dipping with you.”

With a frown on his face, Spike said, “Do you really like that ponce?”

“Angel’s not a … ponce, whatever that is.”

“I just don’t get what all you ladies see in him.”

“He’s nice. He’s good looking,” she said with a shrug.

“Hell, I’m better looking that he is.”

Buffy just stared at him, thinking he was unbelievable. “Angel is the Bachelor. What? You want all these women drooling over you instead?”

“Hell, no. I’m a one woman at a time kind of a guy. I’d be happy to have just one woman drooling over me at a time. One in particular.”

His deep, sexy voice and his hot gaze were enough to get her pulse racing. She fumbled to get off the stool.

“I should… I need to get back upstairs.”

He was right behind her and before she could go through the kitchen door, he blocked her way. She backed up until she bumped into the pantry door. He followed her and leaned one hand on the door, close enough to feel the heat radiating from his arm on her cheek.

“I’ve caught you staring at me,” he whispered. “I know you find me attractive.”

Buffy closed her eyes to block the sight of him from her senses. What little space still between them was charged with sexual electricity, stronger than she’d ever felt in her life. A tiny well of anger rose up inside her. She didn’t like being backed into a corner and she wasn’t about to let him push her around, even if he was right. She’d signed a contract to do this show and was going to see it through.

Slowly she opened her eyes and jumped slightly. His sharp angled face was just inches from hers now. The closer he got, the better looking he was. But she shouldn’t be thinking like that. Spike’s warm breath tickled her chin. He was going to kiss her.

Snapping out of the trance that he had her in, she ducked under his arm and raced out of the kitchen. She didn’t stop until she was at the top of the stairs and she didn’t dare look back. If someone had seen them… Buffy tried to take a deep breath and calm down. The house was still very quiet. She glanced around at all the closed doors and then went to her room. Faith and Fred didn’t even stir, so she slipped into her bed.

There was no way she was going to get back to sleep now. If she were at home, she’d pick up the phone and call Willow. No matter what time it was. Willow was always there for her to listen to her man woes. She was the voice of reason and often times the voice of encouragement, telling Buffy to go for it. She had no clue what Willow would say about this situation.

She’d mooned over Angel for months while The Bachelorette had aired. So much so that her friend entered her in the casting pool to be on this show with him. After meeting him, she was convinced that he was as great a guy as he seemed to be on the show. In fact, Angel was better looking in person. And she’d made it through two eliminations now, so she knew that he liked her well enough.

Spike. She shouldn’t even have noticed him. If it wasn’t for the bleached hair, he’d blend well into the background in his black jeans and t-shirts. Maybe if she hadn’t seen him in the elevator during the first auditions, she wouldn’t even be noticing him now. She shook her head. Buffy knew that wasn’t true. There was just something about him. His naked, finely chiseled chest and abs came to mind. His roguish, mischievous looks and those fantastic cheekbones and lips. She covered her face with her arm and squeezed her eyes shut. She had it bad.

And then there was his sense of humor. She hadn’t had much time to actually talk to him, but in the kitchen, he had been charming and funny. His words about being a one woman kind of guy came to her mind.

Buffy felt bad for thinking it, but now, she wished she’d let Spike kiss her.