Author's Chapter Notes:
another update..despite school holidays I have managed it
Buffy wasn't sure what to make of everything William had told her. The diner had been nearly empty when they arrived and she and William had slipped into a small booth, well away from the other customers. The waitress took their order: William had his normal spicy wings and Buffy ordered a burger and milkshake. Neither knew just what to say after their mutual confessions in the car park. William wondered if Buffy regretted saying she loved him and he hoped she wasn't angry at him saying what he had. Somehow this young, very young, woman had wormed her way deep into his heart and soul, pushing away all his fears. Unlike any woman he had ever met before, she was feisty and brave and loyal. She had completely banished the depression he'd been in just by being herself.

The waitress brought their order over, and slid the plates in front of the still silent couple. William barely noticed but managed to nod his thanks. Buffy picked up a fry and started nibbling it slowly; William watched every movement of her mouth with fascination.

'Buffy,' William finally started, at exactly the same time as Buffy said, 'William...' They looked at each other and burst out laughing: could they be more in tune?

'You first, pet,' the man said, taking a sip of his scalding hot coffee. For the first time in a year, William wished he was drunk after making a fool of himself, but coffee would have to do.

'Is there anything else you want to tell me, William? I know you haven't lied to me once, but you haven't exactly been honest either, have you?'

'Suppose not,' the blond agreed, 'but it's been hard. I didn't want to lie, knew if I told one I'd have to tell another and then another, so I was just careful what I said. The only other surprise is that me mates are here from London. Oz, Clem and Anya, they were in Vampire's Kiss with me. Anya's a weird one, Oz is cool and Clem is more interested in feeding his face and playing the drums than anything else, but they want to meet up.' He looked at Buffy's face to see how she'd taken the news.

'Yes, and?'

'Well, I don't want to let you down,' William looked up at her shyly, hopefully.

'Meet them? I'd love to meet them, if you want me to, that is...' Buffy's insecurity showed its ugly head again.

'Course I want you to, that's what I meant to say. I want you to come with me tomorrow. We are meeting up, and talking about what they want.'

'And what do you want, William? What do you see yourself doing?'

'I love writing my music, in fact I love my music. It's always been important to me. Mum played piano and taught it; Dad, well you know who dad is now, so you can understand when I say music is all I have ever known. Dru killed it: I didn't play, didn't write, hid in a bottle... but you... well, I've started writing again. As you found in my room,' he grinned at her. 'And I want to go, but I don't want to leave you.'

'William, I am 19, and we are friends.' William looked distressed at her words, but Buffy held up a french-fry to stop him. She looked at him. 'First, we are friends, everything else came second. I have nearly 3 years left in college, 3 years where that has to come first. If I give you that 3 years to dedicate to Vampire's Kiss, will you promise to make a go of it? Work at that and keep away from all the temptations: I'll be here, on the phone, email, whatever you need, then we'll see where we stand. I want to take this further, but we need to take it slowly.'

'When did you get so wise?'

'Need I remind you, Mr Giles, I am training to be a counsellor?'

The rest of the meal was filled with laughter and fun. William had never felt happier.

It was nearly a week before they could all meet up. Buffy had been busy helping get the junior cheerleaders ready for a competition and William had spent the majority of his time in LA talking to lawyers. Buffy dreaded her cell phone bill coming in, she knew it would be high. She dreaded what her mom would say; well, maybe she wouldn't be that cross, after all she was ringing Giles every day as well.

Buffy got herself ready for the big meeting with William's friends. She had been through her wardrobe four times with both Willow and Tara supervising her changes until everyone was satisfied with black jeans and a pale green halterneck top that more than covered everything. Add to that a pair of low heeled soft boots and she was ready for anything.

William picked her up promptly at 8 in his beloved and cherished DeSoto before kissing her gently. Buffy melted into his arms like soft ice cream on a hot day. William had to visibly pull himself together before driving off.

Buffy didn't know what she'd been so worried about. Anya was a hoot. She hadn't been too sure at first, especially when the woman asked if William gave her good orgasms. Buffy nearly choked on her drink, spraying coke all over the table over that one.

'Nice shot, Bufster,' Xander told her as he wiped the mess off his face. Tara and Willow had joined them all as the whole gang enjoyed William's last night in Sunnydale before heading for London and the chaos of O2, Janus' reform and 40th anniversary gig, and Joyce's vacation. They had all been made to promise not to say a word to anyone about Giles or William, not that they would, or that anyone would believe them. Xander had lovely dreams though about what Cordelia Chase would say when she did find out, but now he was wiping sprayed coke from his face. He had so wanted to make a good impression on Anya: she was hot.

'Let's dance!' Anya said loudly, dragging Buffy onto the floor by her arm. She looked pointedly at Willow and Tara who were sitting quietly, sipping their drinks. Willow wanted to dance, and dance with Tara, but felt insecure in a club she didn't know well. The Vampire gang had suggested this place.

The girls danced around each other cautiously until a fast track came on. Anya started twisting and twirling like a demon, living in the music and letting the beat take over her feet and her soul. What could Buffy do but join in: it only took a couple of bars of the music before the girls were surrounded by a circle of jeering and cheering men.

Anya knew she could handle herself but Buffy was getting nervous - or she was 'til William and Xander wandered across and started to join in. Xander tried his best, but he couldn't dance. William, however, moved like he'd been trained for it. The crowd melted away as William, oozing confidence, led her through a series of moves she wouldn't have dared do on her own.

'William,' she whispered as he lifted her high above his shoulders.

'Name's Spike, baby,' he smirked back. He looked good, and confident, but Buffy could see the ghosts and shadows in his eyes. She would get rid of those eventually as well.

By the end of the evening Oz had swopped his email address with Willow and Tara, Anya had vanished with Xander, off to give him good orgasms, and William and Buffy drove up to Lookout Point. Buffy felt wonderful in his arms, safe and secure.
It was a chaste goodnight kiss they shared when he finally drove her home, disturbing Joyce and Giles who had been so busy making out on the sofa that they hadn't heard the younger couple come in.