Author's Chapter Notes:
my thanks for all the amazing reviews. They mean a lot....
'Buffy, mail,' yelled Willow as she came into the house on Rodello Drive. Joyce had written every day she'd been in London, and so had William. The record company had been sending out the letters by courier so that Buffy didn't have to wait for their arrival, an added perk for the rock stars who were being feted in London. Nothing was too much trouble.

William, Giles and Joyce had left with William's friends just six days ago and Buffy was missing him like mad. But the letters and the emails had arrived regularly. College had been great, Buffy was loving her courses and even her social life had picked up, but she still missed William. There had been some highlights: Angel had been picked up DUI with Cordy in the car and Cordy had been grounded. Buffy tried to feel sorry for her, but couldn't. Angel was safe behind bars in County for another three days and then had to do a new Drivers' Ed course before he was allowed to drive again. Cordy hadn't looked happy when her dad had dropped her off at college that morning, and it took a lot of strength not to burst out laughing.

Buffy was happy living in Egypt about what her Mom got up to and if she never heard the words 'police car' and 'handcuffs' again it would be years too soon after seeing the picture of her mom dressed in a long coat and a boa, draped over a police car. It had nearly given her a heart attack. The model who took her mom's place for the real shot was gorgeous, and it was to be the new album cover. Buffy preferred the one with Joyce in even if she would never admit it.

Buffy snagged the two envelopes from Willow's outstretched hand as she ran upstairs to get changed for cheerleading practise. She had a whole twenty minutes before she had to leave and she intended to enjoy each and every one of them. Plumping up the pillows she settled down on the bed and started on her mother's letter.


The hotel was amazing, according to Mom: The Ritz was one of London's top hotels and they had a whole floor of suites to themselves. There were guards everywhere, and they were needed: Joyce had found a gaggle of females, all of whom were old enough to know better, trying to get into Ripper Giles' room. Security had escorted them out and had nearly taken Joyce with them, thinking she was one of the intruders, but William had saved the day. After that, she said, she didn't take off her pass until she went to bed, and threatened to wear it in bed if she needed to.

Joyce had emailed photos of them all in London, enjoying the view from the London Eye, on an open top bus and taking a cruise down the river. They had five full days before the first concert and she had a back stage pass to each and everyone. Six nights at O2 with TV and press interviews on one day only for Giles. The pictures were wonderful. Especially the ones Joyce had taken backstage at the concert on the first night. Buffy couldn't believe the man she knew, who dressed in tweed and worked at the high school in the library also wore make up and high heels.

Joyce ranted on and on and on about the concert. It really had been a dream come true for her. The other members of Janus had been sweet, making sure she could see everything and setting their own PA's to looking after her. It had been a different world. There had been a specially cooked meal served before they even went on stage, and the costumes had taken up a whole room by themselves. Joyce watched open mouthed as Ripper put on the make up he'd been famous for thirty years before, loving ever minute of his change from Rupert Giles to Ripper Giles. She kept the kiss from him quiet from Buffy. She had no intention of upsetting her daughter.

'As if I didn't know what's going on between them!' snorted Buffy, but she was delighted her mother was having so much fun.

There was one last photo shoot which Joyce captured on film. There were pretty girls all over, draped over Giles and his friends, as well as over the members of Vampire's Kiss. Buffy would have got jealous if it hadn't been for the fact that Joyce had also sent her some video of the photo shoot. The comments from Clem and Anya made her cry with laughter. Oz actually growled at one of the models at one point. William was heard asking if they ever ate, 'cause it was like holding a skeleton in his arms... the funniest moment was when one of the models fawning over Giles asked for his autograph for her mum... Giles' face was a picture.

Vampire's Kiss were doing the rounds as well. Poor William was exhausted, Joyce wrote, from the photo shoots and the chat shows. All he wanted to do was crawl back home, hold Buffy and sleep he said, but it was going well. Darla had everything under control and made sure they were where they were needed and when.

The six nights at O2 were a huge hit. Joyce was living her dream. The lights, the music, everything. She watched Janus from backstage: the show was electric. The music took her back to her youth, but even in her dreams she could never imagine Ripper Giles coming off stage, still carrying his guitar and kissing her so passionately. Joyce was just glad Buffy wasn't there to see it.

Joyce didn't know it was already on youtube for the world to see.

Vampire's Kiss were a hit. They sold out of the album and had to order extra copies for the third night. Their new album was racing up the charts on both sides of the Atlantic and their newest single was at number one in Europe.

William really missed Buffy but he knew she and he had made the right choice. What they had was strong, and it would survive, but for now it was on stage to open for Janus for the last time, last night, then he would be flying home to his beautiful lady. The sunshine of his life.


When it was all over and the concerts were finished, Ethan Rayne had invited them all to his country estate in Scotland for the last two days of their vacation. A private helicopter whisked them away straight from the centre of London to Royal Deeside and a 2000 acre estate near the Queen's home at Balmoral. They needed it. There were thousands of people just waiting to get near Janus every night.

The private jet took off from the City of London airport and headed northwards. The passengers were so exhausted that they barely stayed awake as the plane climbed into the night sky. Giles had released his lapstrap long enough to stand up and put a blanket around Joyce as she lay sleeping. He then pulled her head onto his shoulder and joined her in slumber. The first thing Joyce remembered after sitting down was the captain telling them to prepare for landing at Aberdeen Airport.

'Joyce, wake up dear,' Giles said as the cabin steward made his way up and down the centre aisle of the jet. Joyce looked around groggily, trying to get her bearings as she awoke from a deep sleep. Giles handed her a handkerchief to wipe the drool from the corner of her mouth and Joyce felt highly embarrassed. Way to make a good impression...

'We're going to be a few extra minutes,' the captain told them over the intercom. I've just heard from air traffic control and they've asked us to stay in the holding pattern as the air ambulance lands ahead of us, then we'll be clear to land. Your cars are waiting for you and there is a clear run up to the castle,' he added.

Joyce looked out of the window as a small plane came down on the runway below them. She could see the blue flashing lights of the waiting ambulance.

'They bring the patients in here from the outer islands,' Ethan explained as he noticed Joyce's interest. 'The big hospital here takes all sorts.'

'Oh, right, thanks,' she said to the man. She was still feeling a little star-struck even after nearly two weeks in everyone's company.

The plane landed safely and the limos were waiting just outside the VIP lounge.

The stories and memories Joyce had stored up would last her a lifetime.


Buffy carefully folded the letter up and put it into her treasure box, along with all the others.

William's letter was shorter, telling her about how much he missed Buffy and how the days seemed longer without her there.

He also included the lyrics to his newest song....



every day I take you//dancing in the garden
you could be my woman//that would be fine
if you'd be my baby//I would drive you crazy
every night and day//all of the time

look at me//looking at you//looking at me//looking in your eyes
look at me//looking at you//looking at me//looking in your eyes

and when you take me//into your garden
let me kiss your blossom//and make it mine
I just wanna drink your//sweet crystal clear water
and then help you turn it//into wine

look at me//looking at you//looking at me//looking in your eyes
look at me//looking at you//looking at me//looking in your eyes

and when you are sleeping//I can watch you breathin'
murmur in the dark//and call my name
and when I join you//underneath the blanket
I know I will never//be the same

look at me//looking at you//looking at me//looking in your eyes
look at me//looking at you//looking at me//looking in your eyes


Chapter End Notes:
the lyrics are, of course, by James Marsters