Author's Chapter Notes:
a proper update, me and my beta in the same place at the same time....

I have nearly finished ths tale, spuffy loving soon i promise
Giles and William looked around the mess and scaffolding that dominated the main hall of the mansion on Crawford Street and smiled. It couldn't be better. They were delighted at the improvements and the new studio would be ready by the end of the year. Ready for Janus to start cutting their first new album in twenty three years. Giles found that he was actually excited at the prospect. William was just glad he'd have a real excuse to keep coming back to Sunnydale during the next few years.

Buffy was spending the morning with her books. She needed to catch up a little on her studies if she had a hope of passing her finals this year. She reached out for the half empty coffee mug and took a large swig.

'Blah!' she shuddered, there was nothing worse than cold coffee. Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs had dominated her morning for more than long enough. The cold coffee was the spur she needed to get off her butt and move. Waiting for the coffee maker to finish, Buffy looked out of the window at the back yard. She really wanted to go swimming; perhaps tomorrow if she got this assignment finished in time. Taking the mug she headed back into the lounge when the phone rang.

'Buffy, It's Faith. I need someone to talk to.' Her strong, tough friend was nearly in tears and Buffy could hear the frustration in her voice.

Homework and Maslow would have to wait. Faith needed her. Buffy picked up the cordless phone, c-u-r-led up in the arm chair and prepared herself to be the good friend she was...







The hotel was amazing. Faith's fundraising Ball was going to be the hit of the year. The limos pulling up outside gave testament to the money arriving inside. Buffy and Joyce arrived in a white limo, the driver holding the door open and helping them out. Tara and Willow were in the car behind, along with Xander, who looked amazing in his tux.

Xander hadn't wanted to go with the girls. Oh, he knew that it was all expenses paid for him, thanks to the amount of labour he'd helped Faith with when she was building the dojo at The Magic Box, but he also knew he couldn't afford to pay for the Tuxedo he needed, or the flowers he wanted to get for Anya. He'd gone with Oz when the green-haired guitarist had gone to get his: somehow, and Xander still wasn't sure how, his own suit had been added to the pile that was growing on the counter. Oz had pulled out a black American Express and paid for the lot. Oz had just shrugged when Xander had mentioned it.

'No big deal, it all goes on expenses anyhow,' he'd explained before heading back out to his van. Xander had just followed on, carrying the bags.

Xander was brought out of his reverie when he heard a very un-lady-like screech from the car following his. Tara and Willow were already making their way over to the doorman, who looked about 12 foot tall and ugly: Xander wouldn't have been surprised if he'd been part troll, but troll-man smiled at the girls as he let them through the rope barrier. Xander looked around to see who was pretending to be the banshee.

'Do we have to come to this dumb thing?' Cordelia Chase complained as her father and mother walked ahead of her to the main entrance. Xander just watched as she pushed past him and everyone else in her way.

'Because, young lady, it is going to be one of the social events of the year. Even the Governor is going to be here and at $300 a ticket, you are going to go in and be the epitomy of a well-brought-up young woman,' Simon Chase snarled at his daughter.

Xander snorted: he couldn't help it. Queen C just looked so angry.

'Waiting-on staff go in around back, Harris,' Cordelia told him condescendingly when she saw him watching her. 'They don't use the front entrance.'

'Will you be servicing the rooms later?' He shot back as he made his way to the troll.

'Mr and Mrs Chase, plus1,' he heard in front of him as the family made their way through the doors.

Cordelia Chase stopped inside. She couldn't wait to see Harris thrown out: it would make her evening complete. Well, that and the new dress her mother had bought her.

'Certainly Mr Harris, if you could just follow Warren, he'll show you to the VIP area. I believe the others are already there.' Xander couldn't help but smirk at the look on Cordelia's face as the assistant led him through the waiting crowds and up the stairs ahead of everyone else. It was good to have friends in high places.


The evening had gone brilliantly, the sit down dinner was to die for and the conversation sparkling. Sitting the Governor between Darla and Joyce had been an inspired move. They soon had him eating out of their hands. Support for the Magic Box was guaranteed, much to Faith's delight.

Most of the menfolk at their table had slipped away before the coffee had been served, leaving Xander outnumbered by the women. He watched Anya as she made her excuses as well, but he didn't appreciate the way James Sullivan watched her walk away. Lech.

Cordelia looked bored. She hated these stupid functions, the only high spot for her was that the losers from college had come with Buffy's mom, and not with dates. When she could she watched Buffy closely; Angel would be delighted with the story of Buffy sitting at the table all alone.

Faith felt a little nervous as she stood up in front of the huge crowd and thanked them all for coming. Her voice could hardly be heard for the roar of applause as Spike Giles, Clem Rayne, 'Oz' Osbourne, and Anya Jenkins took their places behind her.
Faith gave Buffy a grin and continued.

'Ladies and Gentlemen, straight from their amazing tour of Britain, and before they hit LA next week, the hottest band on the West Coast: Vampire's Kiss!'

The crowd went mad, and as Oz played the first notes on his guitar the music took over the room.

Buffy smiled up at William, no, Spike, as he stepped up to the microphone to start singing. He looked totally different from the man she'd first met: gone were the nerdy clothes, the glasses and the mouse-blond hair. In their place stood the epitomy of a rock god. Spike's bleached blond hair was slicked back and his jeans looked like they'd been sprayed on from a can of paint. The biggest change was to his face. He had painted eye liner around his eyes, making them seem even bluer, and without the glasses you couldn't recognise him as the same man. Cordelia was drooling: Xander could see it pooling at the corner of her mouth. Spike's voice dominated the music, blending with the bass then weaving in and out of the melody. Buffy would have done anything for him at that moment. When he smiled down at her, she melted into a puddle of goo, and she knew she loved this amazing man. Poet and warrior, man and God. He was hers and she certainly was his.

See the picture in the hall
Framed in magic on the wall
Ain't it funny how it glows
What's on the inside no one knows
What makes this picture so inviting
To those who stand outside it
Maybe it's the dancers
Or maybe it's the dance
the dancer dances

Thousands will fill the gallery
Pay their price to see a dream
They can make believe for free
Two hours' worth of fantasy
Maybe they pretend the picture's them
Or maybe they just love to sit and blend
Maybe it's the dancer
Or maybe it's the dance
the dancer dances

Tonight the picture has no frame
Colours unleash and float away
To each and every one of you
Tonight the spirit brings the news
You become a part of it all
Thousands turn to one in the hall
You become the dancer
And we become the dance
the dancer dances

(The Dance by the amazing Uriah Heep)



After Vampire's Kiss had finished their set the crowd went wild again as Giles and his friends took to the stage. The Governor asked Joyce to dance as the music to Janus started to fill the ballroom. Cordelia pushed her way to the front of the stage to try and grab any of the band's attention. Xander watched in disgust as she pulled the top part of her dress down to display her assets even more freely. Buffy had also made her way forward. She was still wearing the VIP pin she had been given and the security guards allowed her through to the stage itself.

Cordelia's face was priceless, in fact Willow and Tara would have paid money to see it under any circumstances, as Buffy leapt into the hot lead singer's arms and kissed him senseless. Oz slipped his bass off and jumped onto the dance floor, insinuating himself between Willow and Tara as they were dancing together. Neither girl seemed to mind, though. Xander held his hand out and helped Anya down, not letting go when her feet hit the floor. He didn't think the woman had ever looked sexier than when she was up on stage. His hands slid down her thighs and he felt the satin under his fingers. Anya smiled up at him and kissed him deeply on the lips. Only Clem was left without a partner for the dancing and he preferred to have a drink at the bar. His wife wouldn't appreciate him picking up strange women anyway.

From early days of infancy, through trembling years of youth
Long murky middle-age and final hours long in the tooth
He is the hundred names of terror-creature you love the least
Picture his name before you and exorcise the beast.

He roved up and down through history-spectre with tales to tell
In the darkness when the campfire's dead-to each his private Hell
If you look behind your shoulder as you feel his eyes to feast
You can witness now the ever-changing nature of the Beast.

Beastie!

If you wear a warmer sporran, you can keep the foe at bay
You can pop those pills and visit some psychiatrist who'll say -
There is nothing I can do for you, everywhere's a danger zone
I'd love to help get rid of it but I've got one of my own.

There's a beast upon my shoulder and a fiend upon my back
Feel his burning breath a-heaving, smoke oozing from his stack
And he moves beneath the covers or he lies below the bed
He's the Beast upon your shoulder, He's the price upon your head

He's the lonely fear of dying, and for some, of living too
He's your private nightmare pricking, He's just love to turn the screw
So stand as one defiant - Yes. and let your voices swell
Stare that Beastie in the face and really give him Hell.

(Beastie by Jethro Tull)


The evening was a hit. The donations flooded in and Faith knew she had raised enough money to keep the Magic Box open and safe for at least five years. She hadn't meant to cry, she wasn't that sort, but to know the kids were safe was brilliant. Robin wrapped his arms around her and held her close. It wasn't often Faith showed any sort of weakness, and it felt good to be able to be strong for her for a change.

Faith watched as Giles led Joyce towards the elevators. They had been given suites on the top floor, their luggage had already been delivered and Faith knew that she wouldn't see them again. Cordelia was leaving with her parents as Buffy and William made their way up the stairs, Buffy's head resting on William's shoulder for a few seconds before he swung the blonde up in his arms and carried her the rest of the way. She looked round at Robin as she felt his arm slip around her waist. Carrying her high-heeled shoes she went with him to the elevators and their own bed, happier than she'd been in years. Her family had come through for her big time.