Author's Chapter Notes:
thanks to everyone who has taken the time to review this fic. Its finally at the scene that started it all off for me, I saw this in my mind's eye and wrote the tale to reach it. Hope you have enjoyed
Ten years later.

'Honey, I'm home!' Spike called as he came through the front door of his house. Tripping over the trike and avoiding the dog, he made his way into the kitchen where Jenny the housekeeper was cooking dinner. The fresh coffee perfumed the room and Spike knew he would have to have one later, despite his normal limit.

'They're out by the pool, Mr Giles,' Jenny told him as she pulled a tray of cookies out of the oven. 'You'll burn your mouth!' she warned as Spike made the most peculiar noises as he tried to eat the baking hot cookie. Spike knocked a couple of photos off the ice box as he walked passed. A frown from Jenny made him step back and pick them up, replacing them under their magnets.


Buffy felt the sun shine down on her as she relaxed in the water. It had been a hard week at the clinic she ran at the Magic Box, but it was good to put her qualifications to use. Not that she needed to work, of course. She giggled to herself. There had been some high points this week: Angel had been brought into the Drink Driving session as part of his punishment from court. Buffy had tried to feel compassion for him, but had little sympathy for someone who was caught twice over the limit with their 18-month-old son in the car. It was another hefty fine, 30 days in lock-up and the counselling program. Cordy had looked exhausted when she had picked him up from his latest session. Working two jobs and looking after a child had not made things easy for the ex prom queen. Buffy made a mental note to see if she could help. Perhaps the studio needed a new receptionist? Life had been hard for Cordelia Chase, but the knocks had actually softened the woman and she was a lot less bitchy than she used to be.

Buffy looked up as the gate alarm into the swimming pool area went off and watched as Spike Giles, lead singer of Vampire's Kiss, made his way into her yard. Little Joy splashed water on the visitor as she swum up and down the pool. Baby Richard was floating in his swim seat by his momma.

'Hi gorgeous,' Spike purred at her. 'Fancy dumping the kids and playing with me?' he asked with a leer spread across his face. Buffy looked up at the man, his bleached blond hair slicked back and eye make-up outlining his amazing azure blue eyes. He looked like most women's wet dream of a rock god.

Buffy shook her head. 'My husband is due home soon, so you had better make yourself scarce. He's the jealous type,' she told him with a straight face.

'Leave him, run away with me,' Spike asked her. It was an old game they played. Buffy shook her head. 'I love him,' she said simply.

Spike laughed. 'In that case I had better go and take all this makeup off and find William for you!'

'You do that, Spike Giles, because I'm not the cheating type,' she answered primly, smiling as her husband made his way back to the house to change out of his stage clothes and back into his William persona. It was how he managed to stay sane, how they managed to stay sane. Spike Giles was a world-renowned musician and producer. He was co-owner of the Mansion Recording Studios and all-around rock star. William Giles was a poetry-loving nerd who was married to a wonderful woman. Buffy loved watching Spike on stage and off, but she loved William.

Buffy and William spent another hour in the water before Halli, their nanny, came to take her charges in for a rest. It would be a long evening. They were having a barbeque and everyone was coming over.

Willow, Tara and Oz were flying up from L.A. The three of them had been together for six years now. Tara was still not into men, but Willow was into Tara and Oz. It worked for them. Little Daniel would be coming as well. Their three year old son was spoilt rotten by both his mommas and his dad. Willow's internet company allowed her to stay home with Tara while Oz was on tour. The laid back bass player and his two ladies had the perfect life for them and for their family. Tara had said that she wanted the next baby. Maybe that's what they wanted to talk about. Buffy dipped her head under the water and listened to her children's laughter.

Faith and Robin had just set up another Magic Box, this one in Cleveland, and were coming home for a rest before the birth of their own child later in the year.
Anya and Xander had flown in from Europe with their brood just forty-eight hours ago. Xander's company was one of the best in the business and he had just won the contract to do the stage sets for the next Janus tour. Anya's clever business head handled most of the investments and corporate stuff for all of them. She had long given up playing in the band, preferring to play with Xander and 'all that lovely money' and 'all those wonderful orgasms.'

Even Clem would be with them, and he had asked if he could bring a girlfriend with him. A first for the drummer.

Joyce and Giles, as well as the rest of Janus, had promised to drive up from LA. It was going to be a houseful and a half. But worth it for Joy's fifth birthday party.

Buffy smiled as William led her towards the pool house. It was one of the few places the kids couldn't find them in the mansion he had built for his lady. They had a few hours of loving before everyone descended and Jenny could cope until then.

Life was good, very good and William intended to do everything he could to keep it that way.

His heart sang and the words to his latest song ran through his mind. Yes, life was very good for the Giles family and their friends.

The way you're bathed in light
reminds me of that night
god laid me down into your rose garden of trust
and I was swept away
with nothin' left to say
some helpless fool
yeah I was lost in a swoon of peace
you're all I need to find
so when the time is right
come to me sweetly, come to me
come to me

love will lead us, alright
love will lead us, she will lead us
can you hear the dolphin's cry?
see the road rise up to meet us
it's in the air we breathe tonight
love will lead us, she will lead us

oh yeah, we meet again
it's like we never left
time in between was just a dream
did we leave this place?
this crazy fog surrounds me
you wrap your legs around me
all I can do to try and breathe
let me breathe so that I
so we can go together!

love will lead us, alright
love will lead us, she will lead us
can you hear the dolphin's cry?
see the road rise up to meet us
it's in the air we breathe tonight
love will lead us, she will lead us

life is like a shooting star
it don't matter who you are
if you only run for cover, it's just a waste of time
we are lost 'til we are found
this phoenix rises up from the ground
and all these wars are over

over
over
singin' la da da, da da da
over
come to me
singin' la da da da, da da da
come to me

Lyrics. When Dolphins cry... Live