Author's Chapter Notes:
I am so sorry for such a long delay. RL really got in the way. It went from me being sick as a dog thinking I've got cancer to my boyfriend losing his job, and writing became a bit to much with everything else I had going on. Thankfully I do not have cancer and my boyfriend got his old job back if only temporary. I have just finished chapter 10 and I am so excited to have you all read it and see if your still with me. Thank you Spikelissa for your awesome beta job.
Chapter 10



Wesley had everyone’s attention at that point. Spike’s eyes widened as Buffy’s brow furrowed in confusion. “You mean like in the Biblical, that Eden?”

“Hardly luv, he’s talking about a paradise for demons.” Spike looked at Wesley, waiting until he nodded his consent to continue. “A myth or at least I thought it was, a place where we could walk in sunlight, where we would be almost invincible.” Spike looked at Edward then at the wolves. “Just one small problem, if I remember the stories correctly there’s not supposed to be any demons here.”

Jacob glared at Spike and ground out, “We are not demons.”

Spike barked out a laugh at that, “Let me explain something to you Goliath, if you have enhanced strength and the ability to change form, you are a demon, whether you like it or not.”

“But demons are evil and… Hey, did you just call me Goliath?” Jacob responded with raised eyebrows.

“Well I couldn’t very well call you dog boy now could I?” Spike winked at Oz, “Someone here has that name already.”

Oz grinned wide at Spike, “You know I never did know you that well, but now I’m kind of wishing I never left Sunnydale.”

Buffy shrugged, “He grows on you.”

Spike then leaned in and whispered something in her ear that had her face burning scarlet and her eyes widening to comical proportions. A shiver ran down her spine and Buffy did the one thing she knew would distract everybody from what they had just witnessed, she changed the subject. “So… I believe Wes was about to explain how not all demons are evil.”

Wesley ran a hand through his hair, “Quite right. To understand what demons are you must understand what the word means. Though Christian mythology has painted all demons into the category of evil, which by most accounts, they would be correct, if you were to look up the actual definition of a demon in the dictionary, what it first reads might surprise you. It states: a spirit or evil spirit of uncertain origin, a supernatural being between mortals and gods.” Wesley looked around at the faces listening to him and smiled. “Some even believe that there are a few demons that are here for the sole purpose of protecting humanity and that is where the Slayer comes into play,” Wesley turned to Edward and then the wolves “As will be your mission as well.” Wesley then crouched down in front of Bella and smiled, “We also have many high hopes for you my dear.”

Bella gulped, she didn’t want to disappoint anyone, but she still couldn’t understand how she could be some super strong warrior. She was a klutz and had absolutely no coordination, how in god’s name was she supposed to fight mythical creatures, if all she did was trip over her own feet? “I still don’t see how I could be like Buffy. I watched her run into the woods today; I saw her lift Spike out of the car yesterday. I can’t do those things. I can barely walk without tripping.”

Jacob immediately spoke up, “What’s a Slayer, and what exactly do you want with Bella?” He then looked at Edward in disgust, “And how do you expect some bloodsucking fiend to protect humanity when all he wants to do is destroy it.”

Edward suddenly flinched as the pictures Jacob spoke of began to flood his mind. Bella, the day he had left, her haunted eyes sending a wave of remorse so strong he would have fallen down if he had not already been sitting. Her frail and pale pain filled face when she first showed up to ask Jacob to help her fix her bikes. It was all too much. He barely registered Bella screaming at Jacob to stop what he was doing, when everything suddenly did stop.

Buffy had about enough, when Bella began to scream. She didn’t completely understand what was happening, but she wasn’t just going to sit there and let it happen, so she did what came natural. She hauled Jacob up by his neck and slammed him into a nearby tree cracking the base with the force. He was too tall to lift up off the ground, but she figured she had got his attention regardless. Her eyes narrowed and she ground out, “I don’t know what you’re doing, but it stops now. I don’t have time for your jealousy and to tell you the truth, I’ve had about enough jealousy to last me a thousand lifetimes. I don’t know what your deal is, but get over it. We don’t have time for this. I don’t have time for this. If what Spike said is true, if demons that enter this realm become almost invincible and Wolfram and Hart finds a way in, this world is fucked. Everything you know, all this beauty, everything we take for granted will be a footnote in history, unless we work together,” she released Jacob and stepped back. “Oh and by the way, I’m a Slayer,” she then turned and looked at the shocked faces staring at her. The wolves even looked too shocked to react, “and Bella will be one too.”

Buffy then decided showing Bella might be the best way to make her realize what she was capable of and she had an idea just how to do it. Carlisle had told Buffy that Bella had been bitten once and the only reason she hadn’t changed was because Edward had sucked the poison (or as Buffy liked to refer to it Demon essence) out. She suspected that one of the reasons she could feel Bella and that Spike could smell her was because the Slayer was not as dormant as she once was. She was probably somewhere in between waking and sleeping. Buffy also suspected the Slayer had only let the transition end because she wanted her mate to change her, and she was willing to wait.

Buffy stood there scrutinizing Bella for a moment before picking up her scythe, she then looked at Spike and through some silent communication Spike realized what Buffy was planning and nodded. Buffy saw from the corner of her eye as Edward relaxed his hold on Bella. Buffy then walked to stand directly in front of her, “Stand up,” Buffy said in what she liked to refer to as her General voice, the one that made all her other Slayers refer to her as ma’am. She turned towards Edward, “you too.” She hoped he understood what she was going to do, and that Spike had read her right. She then looked at everyone watching with curiosity. “No one and I mean no one is to get involved,” her head swung back towards Bella and looked her in the eyes, “except for you. What would you do if I tried to kill Edward?”

Fear and anger shot straight through Bella’s system, she began to tremble with it, and she clenched her teeth and ground out as menacingly as she could, “I would try to stop you.”

“Then do it,” Buffy said hurling a punch at Edward that was too fast to see. Edward didn’t even see it coming before he felt it rock his body and send him flying into the bushes and trees. His first thought after his head stopped spinning was, she is much stronger and faster than I thought possible. This is going to be fun. He jumped to his feet charging Buffy full force, and she easily ducted out of his way. “I thought you guys were supposed to be super strong or something,” Buffy taunted. “I fought fledglings with better grace.”

Edward sneered at her, “I know what you’re trying to do, and it won’t work.” He said as he threw a right hook that connected with her face, and she went flying back into the woods. “There’s nothing you can say that will make me angry enough to falter my attack.”

Buffy soon came flying out of the trees entire body poised for a full out brawl, “Oh, I don’t know about that, I mean, I can be pretty irritating when I wanna be.” She said then delivered a round house kick that sent Edward soaring in the opposite direction.

The wolves had noticed that Edward had been thrown over the treaty line quite a few times, but they were much too entertained by watching this little girl kick his ass to care. The only thing that seemed to have them worried was the increasing stiffness in Bella’s body, as if she was poising herself for an all out attack. Her eye’s were narrowed and Jacob had never seen Bella look so infuriated. As if the only thing holding her back was her last shred of insecurity. It wasn’t until Buffy had Edward pinned with the scythe an inch from his neck that Bella snapped. She charged in snarling and screaming like an animal.

Bella had been watching the fight with increasing frustration and anger, tears began to slip from her eyes, and she tried to force them back. Every little snide remark and punch or kick to Edward was like a slash to herself. Hate and rage began to boil in her veins as the voice in the back of her mind grew louder telling her if she had to, she would beat this girl within an inch of her life. The louder voice the one telling her she would die trying also began to fade, and it wasn’t until Buffy had Edward pinned on the ground that it disappeared completely. With a scream, she didn’t know she possessed, she launched herself at Buffy, tackling her and wrapping her hand around her neck and slamming her head into the ground. As she began to squeeze, she started screaming, “Don’t touch him,” at the top of her lungs.

Something happened then that made Bella pause. Buffy smiled at her, an almost sweet smile and reached up and pressed her hand to Bella’s cheek, “There she is.”

Bella’s eyes widened in disbelief, “You were testing me,” she said as she loosened her hold and rolled on to the grass panting as if she had been holding her breath for a long time, which was probably true.

“I had to find some way for you to see. Attacking Edward was the most plausible strategy. I knew if she thought her mate was in true danger, she would do anything in her power to protect him. Especially since you’ve been bitten once, I don’t think she is completely dormant, that’s why I can feel you and Spike can smell you. She’s not completely awake yet, but she’s definitely there.” Buffy said all this as she stood and helped Bella up and began brushing herself off. “Now if you don’t mind we should get back to business so that I might find out whatever Wes has been sent here to tell us.”

Wesley began to continue from where he left off with by answering Jacob’s questions first, “Well, I think you have already been witnessing to what a slayer is, and as you might have figured out Bella is the next chosen one for this world, but I will give you the basic description if you would like?” Jacob nodded realizing that Wesley was, in fact, answering his question from earlier. "In our world the legend is something like this… In every generation, there is a Chosen One. She alone will stand against the vampires, the demons and the forces of darkness. She is the Slayer. Bella is the slayer for your world and Buffy was the slayer of ours, and she is here to help, train, and lead Bella on the right path, as well as protect her until Bella makes the decision to go through the transition.” Wes then raised both eyebrows as he studied Jacob, “As for the bloodsucking fiends, as you call them. They are here for a reason just as you are. In fact, their kind was put here for the sole purpose of protecting the gateways at least it had been at the beginning.” Wesley sighed, “In the beginning,” he looked at Edward, “your kind was not here. Actually, it was only humans and there were an abundance of them. The Powers That Be were enchanted by our ability to survive and the goodness and evil that lurked in us all. So they began to open gateways to other worlds such as ours and that,” he looked at Buffy,” is how humans began to populate our world.”

Something along the lines of disbelief and fury crossed Buffy’s features and Spike began to lean away from her already knowing what was coming next. She shot out of her seat on the ground and began to pace in front of them. He could hear her grinding her teeth trying to stop herself from attacking most likely Wesley. When she started to mutter his suspicions were confirmed, and he grinned. She took a couple of breaths before she started screaming at Wesley.

“What the fuck do you mean they brought humans from this world to that one, are they fucking crazy!? What good could that possibly do for the human species? They were just toying with us by tempting the lions!”

“No Buffy, they actually thought it would bring balance to the worlds that had fallen into chaos, which our world had. It did bring balance with the help of the slayer being made; we fought back the forces of darkness and flourished populating the world and making it our own.”

Wesley smiled at Edward, “Apparently your kind was also favored by the Powers, so like humans and yet so different. Your bloodlust was a chance, they were willing to take, and they brought your kind here to protect and guard this world. When they brought you here they did not expect you to be so invincible and realizing their error, they quickly had the human’s posses a girl with the slayers essence, the same as they had done on our world. When she awoke, she was as strong as the vampires if not stronger, and she was deemed the protector of the human race. Much like the first slayer of our world she was feral and wild, she destroyed the men who created her and went on a rampage killing anything she deemed evil. When the first slayer was finally killed the Powers held their breath waiting for the next girl to be called hoping she would not be as unruly as the first, but she never came. In their failure to control the vampires as they wished they began creating a new being with a different type of essence, a shape shifters essence.” Wesley said this while studying Jacob and the wolves’ expressions. They all seemed to be so absorbed in his stories that he smiled. “They figured if a slayer could not be sufficiently produced, then they would create a new type of protector. A protector based off of family, love, and loyalty rather than a forced obligation.

“The Powers thinking they had failed in creating the Slayer on this world were shocked when three hundred years later a girl in China was bitten by a vampire and three days later, she hunted him down and destroyed him with her bare hands. She died a few days later with wounds sustained from the battle. This went on for centuries. Every couple of hundred years a girl would be bitten and then become a Slayer. For… well to be completely honest a few months, and then she would either be destroyed or go into hiding until she died of old age.”

Wesley sighed, “Oz can you please give Edward the journal now.”

Oz nodded his head before producing one of the biggest and oldest looking books Bella had ever seen. He brought it over to Edward with both hands and set it in his lap. Oz began to speak softly as he explained how he had gotten the book, “The powers are not sure how your kind managed to make it into our realm, but the vampire that wrote this journal did. He had lost his mate in this world and could not bear to stay here anymore. He was being hunted down by something called the Volturi because he had mated with a Slayer; apparently, he had somehow made her immortal and bore three children with her. He said that they had been alive for over two hundred years before the Volturi had finally caught up with them. At least that’s the story the monks told while I was staying with them.” He pointed to the journal, “I haven’t read it. It’s all in Latin, but if you can read Latin or have someone who can translate it, you could get the whole story.” Oz studied Edward as he ran his hand along the binding. “The only reason the monks took me in was because of the goodness they saw in this vampire. He was their protector and he died protecting them from a pack of Hell Hounds. The monks claim he had a soul, and they never forgot how bravely he fought for them. They would want you to have this.”

Edward sat there a little overwhelmed before a whispered, “thank you,” could be heard. Edward knew there was more to what Oz had just said. Oz had also been thought of as the monk’s protector and could not save them from the hordes of demons that raided the sanctuary where he and the monks lived.

Oz looked at Wesley for permission to hand out the rest of the stuff, when Wesley nodded his consent, he began. “Spike,” Oz said as he handed him a manila envelope.

Wesley looked at Spike with suspicion in his eyes, “When you came to me that first month after you became corporeal, and asked me to move all your savings into Whitening and Williams, did you know any of this would happen?”

“Bloody hell, of course not Wes, I just didn’t trust those buggers with my bloody money. Not after them bringing me back in that miserable existence as a ghost. I would have done everything in my power to help Fred if I knew that was gonna happen.”

Wesley saw the truth in Spike's eyes and sighed in relief. “Well then you are either a genius or just a very lucky vampire, because the law firm you had chosen happens to be one of the most recognized firms for White hats and has multidimensional offices, one of which has just opened up here in Seattle. Buffy I believe your holdings from the Watchers Council is there as well. Inside that envelope, you’ll both find legal documentation on acquiring your assets, as well as ID, birth certificates, and passports.”

Buffy and Spike both sat in stunned silence until Spike finally spoke and his voice cracked in the process, “Does that mean me mo…”

Wes cut him off knowing exactly what he was going to ask, “Yes Spike that’s here too.”

Spike nodded his gratitude being too emotional to speak at this point. He noticed Buffy watching him with imploring curiosity, and he quickly kissed her and mouthed the words, ‘later.’

Next Oz went and sat right in front of the largest wolf, “I know am not your kind, but I have learned to control the wolf even in wolf form. I would be honored to join your pack, if you would have me.” The wolves sat there in what appeared as silent communication to each other. Sam looked at Jacob and nodded. Jacob then looked down at Oz and spoke, “Come with us.”

Oz stood then knowing that he had come to do what he needed to and Wesley was going to be leaving soon anyway. As soon as that thought had entered his brain Wes said his goodbye’s and disappeared.

Buffy stood then helping Spike and Bella up, “I think my brain hurts,” Buffy said rubbing her forehead. She sighed, “at least I didn’t get any research material like Edward did.”

Bella stifled a giggle, “You don’t like school do you?”

“No it’s not that, it’s just me and books are kinda non mixy. I do much better with action than research,” Buffy's stomach rumbled, and she blushed, “plus history on an empty stomach, never a good thing.”

Edward even chuckled at that and they all walked through the forest back towards the mansion.








Chapter End Notes:
Please review!