Author's Chapter Notes:
Ok, so I dont know how I feel about this chapter. It is not one of my best. Please review and tell me what you think.


Once again, special thanks to Dorians Kitten for her amazing beta job.

Special thanks to Xaphania for her absolutely exquisite banner!
Chapter 5

They walked in silence for a long time, each one lost in their own thoughts. Spike was the first to break the silence. “I’m sorry, I attacked you. Thought it was a trick.”

Buffy just smiled. “I knew you wouldn’t hurt me.”

“How long was I gone?”

Buffy stiffened at Spike’s question, remembering when she had asked him the same question. He’d looked so in awe of her. She sniffled a little bit thinking how if she had only embraced his love for her then, that it would not be like this now. Every time she thought of the night she had beat him for trying to help her, she felt like she wanted to heave. She remembered feeling the slayer fight against every punch; it had only made her angrier.

She realized she truly didn’t know how to answer his question; she was in a different world now. She didn’t even know if they were traveling on the same time line as before. “I’m not sure.” She figured, at this point, honesty was the best policy. “If we’re talking since Sunnydale, it would be 289 days. As for the fight in L.A., I don’t even know what year it is here.”

“Here?” Spike questioned.

“I don’t really know where we are, to be completely honest.” Buffy answered averting her eyes. “The Powers want us to protect that girl and her vampire family. We aren’t in our world anymore.”

“What do you mean, not in our world?” Spike stopped studying Buffy’s face. Whatever she wasn’t telling him was evident on said face. She had her eyes down and she was chewing on her bottom lip. She always had that look when she didn’t want to talk about something.

This is what Buffy had been dreading. Ever since the powers told her of the prophecy and that they were bringing him back. She knew that the minute she told him of Angel betraying them all, Spike would surely blow a gasket, and considering that he was barely able to stand, she thought it better to tell him later. “We’ll talk about it later. I want to get you fixed up, before you start shouting.”

Spike studied Buffy for a moment longer, and then nodded his acceptance. He knew she would tell him when she was ready. He had no delusions, if she was here, something very bad must have happened, after he dusted. They began to walk again and he studied the vampire and human girl in front of him. The girl seemed almost klutzy, not at all special. He wondered why the Powers would need Buffy to protect such an ordinary girl.

A strong gust of wind blew the girl’s hair around her shoulders. Spike’s eyes widened with realization. The girl in front of him was a potential. The power emanating off of her was so strong that it nearly made him fall. He had only smelled that kind of strength once before, and that was the goddess currently helping him walk.

Edward halted mid stride, eyes going wide. Bella. Who was not paying attention, because she was busy trying not to trip, missed Edward’s abrupt halt and slammed hard into the back of him. Edward spun quickly stopping Bella from toppling over by grabbing her shoulders.

His eyes were as wide as saucers as he studied Bella’s face, she was so innocent, so fragile, there had to be some kind of mistake. “Are you sure?” Edward asked, his eyes trained on Bella’s face.

Bella looked at Edward then, if it were at all possible he looked paler and his eyes were so wide, they looked as if they were going to roll out of his head.”Edward, What is it?” Edward’s eyes lifted to the vampire’s.

“If you don’t believe me, take a deep breath. You can’t tell me you don’t smell it.” Spike, for a split second, had forgotten the gift Edward had, and had let his thoughts wonder. He immediately knew that he did not like Edward’s ability. He did not like the idea of his mind being an open book to this poncy git.

Bella watched as Edward smirked with mirth and inhaled deeply. If, for a second, she thought his eyes couldn’t go wider, she was wrong. She watched him as he froze and then she watched as a sudden understanding lit his eyes. He looked at her with realization.

“My god… it was so obvious.” Edward breathed. “Bella, my love, you are a Slayer, like Buffy.”

“What!” Bella squeaked. “That’s crazy! I can’t even walk from here to that tree,” she pointed, “Without getting hurt.” This was crazy. Bella didn’t want to be some Slayer. The only thing she wanted was to be with Edward.

It was Buffy who spoke next. “Bella, how long have you been having the dreams?”

Bella’s eyes widened as all the air left her body. She looked at Edward like a deer caught in headlights. “I… ah… “ Sucking in a deep breath, she continued “For as long as I can remember.”

Buffy and Spike gave each other a knowing look.

“Bella…” Edward breathed, “What dreams?”

“I-I never told anyone about them,” Bella whispered, “How… could they know?”

“Because I have the same dreams,” Buffy answered. She didn’t know how she had heard their conversation; Bella and Edward were a good distance away. She could still hear them now; they seemed to be arguing over an agreement to change her after graduation. Buffy furrowed her eyebrows in thought.

“Something wrong, love?” Spike asked, noticing the crinkle in her forehead.

“My senses are stronger. I can hear everything.” Buffy said closing her eyes and focusing more on the sounds around her. When she opened her eyes and saw through the trees to the car, she gasped.

“What is it?” Spike asked, grimacing in pain.

“I can see the car. I shouldn’t be able to.” She could feel her body vibrating with power and it scared her a little bit. Had the Powers made her less than human so she would be able to fight Wolfram and Hart, or was this some fluke caused by being in an alternate dimension?

Seeing the car and hearing Spike whimper gave Buffy some perspective though, she realized she was in the middle of the woods, Spike was in serious pain, and she was worrying because her senses were stronger. She rolled her eyes, irritated at herself. “Guys, I know this is a lot to take in, and I promise to tell you all I know, but I would really like to get Spike fixed up first and maybe take a hot shower, before I do. “

Edward saw the agony in the vampire’s eyes and agreed, questions could wait tell later.

It didn’t take long to reach the car, though getting Spike in without jostling him was a task in itself. When they finally had Spike comfortably situated in the car, they were able to get moving.

The drive was quiet until Edward smiled in the rearview mirror and said “No, I’m sorry. I can’t, but I imagine Alice will have everything you need. She’s quite thorough, when it comes to not disappointing guests.”

Buffy looked down at Spike whose head was currently resting in her lap. “What did you ask him?”

Spike smirked as Edward answered. “He asked if a poncy vamp, like I, could get him a pack of cigarettes and some good scotch.”

Bella’s eyes widened as she took in Edwards amused expression. “How can you look so amused? He just insulted you.”

“I can’t help it. I admire him. He is one of the bravest creatures I have ever come across. He is a hero. He’s died twice, Bella, both times with the knowledge that what he was doing was right. He is honorable and loyal to the people he loves and has endured more pain and suffering than one creature should ever have too.” Edward paused, “Whether he insults me for pure amusement or for my abilities, does not matter. He is a good man.”

Bella turned then to study the couple in the back. Buffy was turned, looking out the window. But Bella could see she was wiping her eyes furiously, trying to hide her tears. Spike on the other hand had wrapped his arms around Buffy’s small legs and was trying to comfort her as best he could. Bella heard Spike whisper that nothing mattered as long as she was with him. That she had nothing to feel guilty about. Bella immediately felt guilty, how could I be so shallow, I’m worrying about stupid things like being with Edward, forever, and this couple is just happy to be together, again.

At that moment everyone was torn out of their musings. Buffy looked upon the house, no not house, Mansion, that was before them, in complete awe. “This is where you live?” Buffy exclaimed.

“Yes.” Edward paused, “Alice saw us coming, and Carlisle is waiting.” He pulled to a stop, in front of the mansion.

Before Buffy could inquire as to whom the names belonged too. The back door was flung open and a man with blonde hair and a white coat, who was most defiantly a vampire, of the same species as Edward. “Hello, you must be Buffy. I’m Carlisle, Edwards’s father. I believe your friend could use some medical attention.”

Buffy nodded to the vampire, and lowered her eyes to Spike, who had fallen asleep.

Carlisle overlooked the damage that he could see on the vampire’s body, “If he was human, he would be dead.” Carlisle sighed. He hated violence so much, and what had been done to this creature was repulsive and disgusting, in his eyes. “Okay, we’re going to need to lift him gently out of the car. Keep him as straight as you can.”

Buffy again nodded, even though it seemed Carlisle had been talking to Edward, rather than her. She placed her hand between his shoulder blades and her other arm looped tightly around his thighs lifting him gently out of the car.

Carlisle watched in amassment as the small girl, easily lifted the vampire with a gracefulness that he had only seen his kind possess.

She gently placed Spike in the doctor’s arms. A young girl approached her then, “Hello Buffy, it’s so nice to finally meet you.” Alice leaned in and Buffy stiffened as the girl kissed her on her cheek. “I’m Alice, Edwards’s sister.”

Buffy couldn’t help but be impressed by the politeness and civility of these vampires. “Nice to meet you,” Buffy smiled.

“Follow me, I’ll show you to your room.” Alice turned and walked up the front steps of the large white mansion.


Chapter End Notes:
Please Review!!