Author's Chapter Notes:
Ok, So I'm going to Itally in 9 days and I dont know if I'll be able to get another chapter in before then, but I am going to try.

I would also like to say that I enjoyed writing this chapter, and I am very excited to post it so please review.

Thanks to all my reviewers, and of course my wonderfule beta Dorians Kitten.

Special thanks to Xaphania for her absolutely exquisite banner!
Chapter 6

Buffy followed Alice through the front doors of the Mansion and gasped. The inside was beautiful, the bottom floor was wide and open, and the back wall was made entirely of glass. There was a winding staircase to her right and, standing on a raised portion of the floor, was a women who despite her pale skin and golden eyes reminded Buffy so much of her own mother that she had to swallow a few times to get the lump out of her throat.

“Hello, you must be Buffy. I am so pleased to finally meet you. My name is Esme. I am Carlisle’s wife.”

Buffy couldn’t help being shy around the sweet women. She felt her face heat up and she averted her eyes. “T-thank you for letting us stay in your beautiful home.”

Esme laughed. “Nonsense, it’s our pleasure. We are just honored to help such brave souls.”

Suddenly, Alice grabbed Buffy’s hand and yanked her in the direction of doors which she assumed lead to the dining room. “Hurry, Spike’s about to wake up and he won’t be happy if you’re not there.”

Buffy understood immediately. If she wasn’t there he would lash out and probably hurt himself more. So she picked up speed and slammed through the double doors to find Spike on a long dining room table, two other men holding Spike’s shoulders down, as Carlisle was getting ready to set Spike’s ankle. They all froze and looked up at the small blonde. “Wait, let me hold him down. If he wakes up and doesn’t see me, he could react violently.”

The two vampires let go of Spike’s shoulders as Buffy climbed on the table and straddled his waist. She pinned his arms flat on the table with her knees and used her hands to hold his shoulders down. “Ok, what I need you to do,” she looked at the other two vampires, “is hold his legs, if this hurts as bad as I think it will, he’s going to try to kick Carlisle through the wall.”

“Are you sure you can handle this?” Jasper asked.

Alice couldn’t help but laugh. Men were such fools, sometimes. “Of course she can handle it. She’s stronger than both of you put together.”

Emmett snorted and placed his hand on Spike’s left thigh. “I doubt that.”

Buffy turned slightly. “You’re going to need to use both hands.”

Emmet looked at her like she had grown a third head.

“Look, I don’t need to deal with your male posturing. Please, just do as I say.” She paused, waiting for the large vampire to put both hands on Spike’s leg, “Ok, I’m gonna wake him up now.”

“Spike, Spike… I need you to wake up. The doctor needs to set your leg.” Buffy watched as Spike shifted and then opened his eye and smirked. “Why Miss Summers, are you trying to seduce me?” Spike said in a rough voice.

Buffy blushed and giggled, “God, you’re a pig.” She paused, sobering, “No, the doctor needs to set your leg and it’s going to hurt.”

Spike tore his eyes away from Buffy’s and surveyed the room, he gulped audibly and nodded. “Okay, he’s ready.”

Carlisle, as gently but as firmly as he could, grabbed the vampire’s leg, he pulled and twisted. There was a grating noise and a pop as the bone slid into place.

Spike immediately vamped and roared his pain. A litany of curses flowed from his lips. He kicked Jasper across the room and his upper torso arched off the table. Emmet could barely hold on to Spike’s left leg as he writhed and struggled in pain on the dining room table.

Buffy tried comforting him as best she could, murmuring her apologies, telling him it would be over in a few minutes. She felt tears sting her eyes. She hated seeing him like this.

There was one last pull and twist and blinding pain shot through Spike’s body. He roared, bucked, and snarled before succumbing to the pain and passing out.

*********************************************************

It had been a stressful day for everyone. Spike had passed out The Cullen’s had been a bit shaken by Spike’s demon face and when Buffy had explained to them about what the powers had told her, especially the part about Wolfram and Hart sending assassins after Bella, Edward had lost it. He had looked all vampire at that moment. There were no elongated fangs or the bright yellow eyes and bumpies she was accustomed to, but the look on his face would have made water freeze.

That had been a couple of intense moments. Bella had begun to cry at the revelation that she could never become a vampire, that Edward turning her would instead make her the Slayer. Bella’s tears had only seemed to agitate the vampire further. Thank God for Jasper and his ability to calm a room. Edward had thrown a dirty look Jasper’s way and stomped out of the house with Bella following closely behind.

Now Buffy found herself sitting on the edge of her new bed in her new room in the Cullen’s home contemplating the events of the past and watching Spike sleep. She had been angry with herself over the past year, angry to the point that she found herself sleeping less and less as she spiraled further into self-torment and self-loathing. She hated herself for the events that had transpired the year that she was pulled from heaven. She hated that she had taken her anger and aggression out on the one person who had actually been there for her. And why had she done it? One simple reason: Angel. How could Spike love her without a soul if Angel couldn’t?

She knew the reason why now though; it was obvious that Angel had never loved her. If he had, he would have wanted her to be happy, he would have done everything in his power to make her happy, and he would not have betrayed her in the way he had.

Buffy snorted softly at the revelation; it had been him from the beginning. She had judged everyone else by what she thought he was. God, she had been so blind. It had been one of the things that had made loving Spike so hard. She just couldn’t compare the two, because they were absolutely nothing alike. Tears began to drip down her cheeks at how stupid and shallow she had been.

Part of it she also blamed on her training, always looking at everything in black and white and refusing to see the gray in any situation. The rest she blamed on herself, if she had just said screw what everyone thought and to hell with consequences, neither of them would have had to suffer.

Buffy sniffled and wiped her eyes, taking a large drink of the amber liquid that she had been nursing for a better part of an hour. She shuddered and hissed in reaction as the scotch slid down her throat. Closing her eyes and letting the warm liquid take effect. God, she hated crying; she always felt so weak and helpless when she did. A soft knock tore into Buffy’s self-reflection. Wiping her eyes on her shirt, she got up and answered the door.

Edward stood in the long hallway. He studied Buffy a second, wondering if now was the best time to talk with her. “I was wondering if I might speak with you.”

“Of course, come in.” Buffy walked over to the small table and added ice to her glass filling it with more scotch and then made one for Edward. “Here,” she said, attempting to hand him the glass.

“Oh, no thank you, I don’t drink.” Edward said taking the glass anyway.

“Humor me. I don’t like to drink alone.” Buffy answered, gesturing to the chair that sat in the corner of the room.

“The first week or so after Spike died, I was a total wreck. I couldn’t get out of bed, couldn’t eat, and couldn’t sleep. Then one night Giles came in with a glass and a bottle. He told me he was going to pull me out of my depression even if he had to make me a drunk, to do it.” Buffy snickered at the memory. “It worked, though that night he unleashed a monster. I remember screaming at him for hours, I was so angry at him for so many things, but mostly I was angry at him for trying to kill Spike,” she turned her head and stared with love-filled eyes on the sleeping vampire in question and sighed. “Anyway, it sort of became a ritual after that. Every night he would come to my room and we would talk or fight. I think we made peace with each other during those late night talks.”

Buffy smiled brightly, “So, consider this my peace offering. What did you wanna talk about?” she asked taking a sip from her glass.

“I was wondering what you’re not telling us?” Edward asked, sipping on his glass and then grimacing. “Good God, how can you drink this?”

Buffy laughed, “It helps me sleep.” She sobered, realizing the first question Edward had asked her. She turned wary eyes on Spike’s sleeping form. If he happened to be awake… She just didn’t want him to find out by overhearing it like that. She took a large drink and closed her eyes for a second. “Is he awake?” Buffy whispered.

“No,” Edward answered, as he watched Buffy’s face crumple, big tear drops dripped down her face and her body shook with the sobs she was trying to hold in. “There were two prophecies,” she choked out. More tremors rocked her body as she tried to will the emotions and pain away. She took a couple of deep breathes and closed her eyes tight. She opened her eyes and began to tell Edward what the powers had told her about her and Spike.

Edward looked at her with such sympathy, “This Angel took everything from you, from both of you, didn’t he?” he paused “I am so sorry.”

“Not your fault.” Buffy said as she wiped her eyes.

“I understand why you would hesitate to tell him.” Edward said gesturing to Spike.

Buffy laughed “You have no idea of the explosion I’ll be facing. Spike has a very bad temper.”

Edward furrowed his brow for a minute. “Bella is quite angry about this new information.”

Buffy shrugged “I don’t see why she would want to be a vampire to begin with.”

“I really don’t think it’s that, I just think she has a fear of growing old. I personally do not care if she gets old. I’ll love her no matter what. I would not wish our life on her.” Edward sighed.

“So then if you love her that much why don’t you just claim her? She stays human and you tie your lifeline to hers. Problem solved: no more ageing and none of that awful blood lust.” Buffy smiled.

“What… What is a claim?” Edward was astonished; he had never heard of such a concept.

Buffy blushed, “Well, it’s a vampire ma-mating ritual. It’s an ancient and powerful ritual, kind of like marriage, except without divorce. During um…” Buffy face grew a red scarlet. “D-during sex, right before she climaxes…” Buffy bit her bottom lip and fidgeted with the hem of her shirt, keeping her eyes trained on the floor. “Um… you bite her and say mine. If she reciprocates she is supposed to respond with yes or yours and does the same to you.”

“Is this what you intend to do with Spike?” Edward asked out of curiosity.

“I do.” Buffy answered

He nodded thinking for a moment, “I don’t see how that would work for me as I believe Carlisle told you we are venomous, and the bite itself is what causes the change to take place.”

Buffy shrugged “So, you do it when she and you decide to make her the slayer.”

“But what if I hurt her?”

“Edward, did anybody ever tell you, you think too much?” Buffy laughed, “If you love her, you won’t hurt her, and even if she gets a few bruises she’ll be the Slayer, they’ll be gone by the morning.” Buffy yawned, the alcohol in her system finally taking affect.

Edward stood then “Well, I should probably be getting back to Bella. You have given me much to think about.”

Buffy smiled “Good night, Edward.” She said as she crawled up the bed to snuggle against Spike.

“Good night, Buffy.” Edward said as he closed her door. He knew it would be a long night; he had much to consider and much to discuss with Bella.


Chapter End Notes:
Please Review!!!