Author's Chapter Notes:
To all my readers, I am so sorry for the delay in updates. I have been so busy since I got back from Italy that I hadn't had time to write. Anyway thanks to my my wonderful Beta my best friend Meggs, I hope you all are still with me.

Special thanks to Xaphania for her absolutely exquisite banner!
Chapter 7

Edward had been watching Bella sleep when the sun began to rise. He had been contemplating how to approach her on the subject of this claiming issue. He knew how she felt about marriage, or at least he understood that she didn’t want to marry him. So in a way, he felt this was probably something she would not agree too. But then again, she had been willing to risk her soul for immortality. So to be fair, he truly wasn’t sure how she would react. The other problem was, well, the ritual itself. What if he hurt her or god forbid killed her? And it was so very simple, yet so very complicated. Edward wondered if maybe he should speak to Spike about it further before discussing it with Bella. He sighed- that just wouldn’t do either. Bella would be extremely angry with him if he didn’t say something.

Though the story of the Slayer had always fascinated him, he was not happy that Bella was going to be the next. It would mean her being in constant danger, not that she wasn’t already. She seemed to be able to attract any supernatural danger within a hundred mile radius, at least now he understood why. She was meant to be called, you couldn’t help being drawn to her power. It was extremely aggravating knowing that he couldn’t keep her safe, no matter what he did. He growled in frustration and began to pace the room, startling Bella awake.

“Edward, what’s the matter?” Bella asked in a sleepy voice, as she listened for the sound of her father Charlie snoring in the next room. When the reassuring sound hit her ears, she sat up and walked over to Edward placing her hand on his arm.

Edward sighed, “Everything is becoming so overwhelming. At first it was just that I was in love with a girl who attracted danger. The only thing we had to worry about was Victoria and the Volturi. Once you became a vampire the Volturi wouldn’t bother us anymore… Now, not only is Victoria after you, there is no way to make you a vampire. This means there is no way to stop the Volturi from coming after us. And to top it off, you are a potential. Which I assure you- they will not be happy about.” He took a deep breath, “We also have to worry about assassins being sent for you and we are beginning to suspect there is more than one newly risen vampire on the loose in Seattle.” Edward sat on the edge of the bed not looking at Bella, “I just don’t know what I can do to protect you.”

He smelt her tears before they had time to roll down her face and the next instant she was cradled in his arms. “Are… are you going to leave again?” Bella asked.

Edward was stunned by her question. “Of course not, I already told you that I cannot live without you. Why would you think I would leave when things got complicated? I would never do something so cowardly.”

“I know. It’s just that… when you… I can’t go through that again.” She stammered, trying her best not to cry.

“Oh Bella my love, I am so sorry to have ever put such fears in your head. I know I can never make up for the pain that I caused you, but I will do my best and try.” He kissed her slowly at first… Just a whisper of a kiss, then ran his tongue along the seam of her lip, begging for entrance. She gasped in response and Edward took that as his opportunity to deepen the kiss further, pouring as much love and emotions as he could into it without hurting her.

It was unlike Edward to be so demanding with her, but she welcomed the change. If she had her choice she would spend all her time kissing him. She moaned and shivered, pulling herself closer into his body. Edward pulled away abruptly, panting and gasping for unneeded breath. His topaz eyes where wide as he was a little shocked by his behavior, “I’m sorry Bella.”

“You didn’t hear me complaining did you?” She said, reaching to pull him in for another.

“Charlie’s waking up,” Edward murmured against Bella’s lips and then pulled back to look at her. “And Alice is outside. She says she needs you to play sick today. Buffy is going to want to start training you.”

“But what if Charlie hears about you and me not being in school?” Being that Bella’s father Charlie was the sheriff of the small town of forks Washington and in a small town like this rumors and news traveled like wildfire.

“Alice says not to worry; it’s supposed to be a sunny day. Charlie won’t think anything of it, especially if you get up now and act sick.” She huffed an “All right,” as she untangled herself from Edward. She knew he was right. Not only for the fact that Alice had the ability to see the future, but also because it was a well known fact that the Cullen’s did not attend school when the sun was out. Which was a rare occasion in one of the dreariest and rainiest towns in Washington.

Bella headed for the door as Edward went to go out her window. Before she had a chance to go fake sick, she heard Edward’s quiet words, “I’ll be back after Charlie leaves.”

***********************************************************

Spike awoke in a blanket of warmth with two of the most unbelievable sensations of his unlife. The first being that he was blanketed in sunlight. He could feel the warm rays of the sun on his cool skin, the felling was absolutely incredible. The second was, and he couldn’t stress this enough, the Slayer, his Buffy, was snuggled up against the right side of his body. Her face was pressed against his shoulder and her leg was wrapped around his leg. Sixty years in hell and he would double it if he could wake up like this for the rest of his unlife. Right then, her sleepy emerald eyes opened and she smiled, and Spike almost swallowed his tongue. She was so fucking beautiful, he decided that his last thought was inappropriate and unworthy of this moment. He would live a thousand years in hell to wake up to this everyday forever.

“Morning, sleepy head, how yah feeling?” Buffy asked, as she sat up and groggily began to check his bandages.

“Actually, I feel bloody fantastic. I woke up next to you. Apparently the sun has no affect on me here, and I feel almost completely healed. I must have been out of it for a couple days then.”

Buffy blushed a bit and cleared her throat, “um…no just about twelve hours or so.” She swallowed, waiting for him to put two and two together.

He was stunned for a moment. There was no way he could have healed that quickly on his own. Some of those cuts had been there for years, reopening on a daily basis due to battles and torture, never having time to heal, but now it was as if his time spent in hell didn’t matter. He felt rejuvenated almost as if he had fed on… Spike eyes open wide with realization and they shot immediately to the blonde beauty.

“Well um… Carlisle… he had the stuff for taking blood, at his disposal so we uh… we took a pint of my blood and fed it to you.” Buffy bit her lip and fidgeted with her hands not knowing what Spike’s reaction would be.

“Buffy, why… why would you do that?” A look of awe and pure unadulterated love crossed his face.

Buffy fidgeted for a few more seconds and then sighed. There were actually two reasons: the first being the most obvious, at least to her, “because I love you, but that’s not the only reason. Though don’t get me wrong, I would’ve done it without the other reason being an issue.”

”And what’s this other reason, luv.” Studying Buffy, he remembered asking her what was going on yesterday, and how she had avoided answering. He had a feeling he was about to find out the answer to his question, and that he was not going to like it one bit.

She cleared her throat and closed her eyes, “you remember how you asked me what was going on yesterday and how I told you I didn’t want to tell you until you were fixed up.” She paused, waiting for him to acknowledge what she just said. When he nodded she continued. “Well, I was serious about that and I know this is something I have to tell you now, but I’m horrified of what your reaction will be.”

“Buffy, luv, just tell me.” Spike whispered.

Fear stricken hazel eyes looked into his, and Spike realized he was trembling in anticipation. He found himself just as scared to hear what she was about to tell him as she was to tell it.

“Angel betrayed us, Spike.” Saying that much was hard enough. How the hell was she supposed to tell him the rest? She blew out a breath and watched as Spike’s eyes flashed gold and a deep growl tore through his chest.

“And just what the bloody hell does that mean Slayer?” Spike said through clenched teeth.

Buffy swallowed hard and closed her eyes. “He started the apocalypse to try and destroy any chance of the prophecy between us coming true. I have not actually seen it, but…” Buffy’s breathing hitched and she sniffled, trying to rein in her emotions. “But it describes what would have happened between us after I used the urn of Zolric to stop the apocalypse that Wolf Ram and Heart were to unleash five years down the road.”

Spikes first thoughts were, Dear god… he might just be responsible for helping Angel destroy the world. Did Angel have any idea at all what he did? Or was it a mistake? A foul up on Angel’s part? Misinformation or maybe the vision that the cheerleader had sent him was blurry? He didn’t know. All he knew was Angel wasn’t the type to go destroying the world on purpose. He wasn’t like Angelus, and he would have stuck by that if the next word out of Buffy’s mouth hadn’t been what they were.

“The prophecy that he tried to stop was about us- and our children.”

Spikes world suddenly stopped spinning. Fury, unlike anything he had ever felt, pulsed through his veins. He was on his feet and moving towards her before he even realized it, the demon within wanting retribution, but also wanting to claim what was his. He had spent so long in hell giving the demon free rein, letting his instincts drive him, that even with the soul trying to control the demon now was extremely difficult.

He had Buffy pinned against the wall when he finally realized what he was doing. His inner William screaming at him to stop. Spike growled loudly and in a menacing tone Buffy had only heard a few times said, “And did he succeed, Buffy?”

His cool breath was on her neck. She trembled at his tone of voice and swallowed, “I-I don’t know. T-the powers insinuated as much, but they didn’t come out right and say it.” She would not hit him. Not in anger or fear; she had made that decision long ago.

The instant he smelt Buffy’s fear the demon backed off, but not enough, he was still quivering in rage. The impact of what he had almost done was enough to make him want to throw himself on a stake. He needed to get out of this room. Away from her scent- until he could bring himself under control. So Spike did the only thing he could. He ran. Ran from the room, down a flight of stairs and out of the house.

The demon had wanted to claim her again and even with the soul this time, he didn’t have the strength to stop it. The cries and sobs he heard from her tore his heart in two, but he couldn’t stop. He refused to hurt her like that again.


Chapter End Notes:
Please, PLease Review!