Author's Chapter Notes:
New chapter is up. I hope you guys are liking this. Let me know what you think.
William looked at the woman who was now passed out in his foyer. What was he going to do now? He decided it would be prudent to at least get her out of his foyer so he began to pick her up when his mother entered the foyer from the stairs.

“William? What’s going on?” She asked concern written on her face.

“We were attacked by some thieves Mother and we ran away but she seems to have fainted. I’m not sure what to do.” He was now holding her honeymoon style more worried than ever.

“Bring her to the couch, it must be her corset. Lie her on her on her stomach dear and I’ll deal with it.”

William did as he was told putting her face down on the couch in the living room tilting her head to the side so she could breath. His mother went over and undid a small portion of the dress to loosen her corset. The moment she did Buffy woke up with a huge intake of breath and sat up.

She looked around for a moment forgetting where she was until she saw William standing and watching her with concern.

“Oh God, I’m so sorry I must have…” She trailed off not entirely sure what happened.

“You fainted dear. You were out of breath because of your corset.” Anne told her kindly.

Buffy didn’t know who the woman was but quickly inferred that she must be Spike’s mother. “I’m so sorry, I’m really embarrassed.”

“Oh don’t be,” Anne told her with a wave of her hand, “You’re not the first this has happened to. I once fainted in the middle of a ball with hundreds of people around.”

Buffy smiled at the kind woman, feeling a little better about the situation. “Thank you, you’re very sweet.”

Anne smiled at her and introduced herself.

“Nice to meet you Mrs. Pratt-“

“Call me Anne.”

“Anne. My name is Buffy. Anne is actually my middle name.” Buffy told her, oddly comforted by this.

“Isn’t that lovely!” Anne told her. “And of course you know my William?”

“We haven’t been formerly introduced.” He explained, reaching out his hand.

Buffy reached out her hand, feeling awkward being introduced to someone she had known for so long. Though it was clearer and clearer that he was very different from the Spike she knew. She couldn’t help but think he was oddly the same though.

William took her hand as he would if he were to kiss it, but simply squeezed and let go. “Nice to meet you.” He told her almost too politely.

“So it seems you had quite the night Buffy.” Anne began. “You two were robbed?” Worry was on her face.

“No, but it was close.” Buffy reassured her.

“How did you know they would come?” William asked.

“They were coming after me and I thought they might run into you when I saw you.” Buffy was surprised at how quickly she made up an excuse.

“Oh my!” Anne said looking happy, “I guess that means you saved my William.”

“I’m sure I would have been alright Mother.” William told her through slightly gritted teeth. He didn’t know if he was keen on this Buffy and was annoyed that his Mother took such a quick liking to her.

“Nonsense William, Buffy here did you a favor.” Anne now looked at Buffy inquisitively. “And where were you going running from them. Are you staying with family?”

Buffy hadn’t been told about a place to stay by Darla. Anne seemed to take Buffy’s worry and uncertainty to mean that she didn’t have anywhere.

“Are you here alone dear? You sound American.”

“I am.”

“And you have nowhere you’re staying?”

Buffy shook her head, she couldn’t lie to such a sweet lady though she was getting more worried by the second. The more questions she asked that Buffy couldn’t answer the more suspicious she was sure to get.

“I see. Do you have any luggage?”

It occurred to Buffy that she didn’t. The only clothes she had here were the ones on her back. They were obviously, even to her, eveningwear, and they definitely didn’t allow her to breath.

At the increased worry on Buffy’s face Anne inferred more.

“Were you robbed earlier tonight dear?”

Buffy couldn’t think of a better excuse than that, and if she didn’t say anything, Anne would just assume. It wasn’t really lying if she just assumed right?

Buffy was right that Anne would assume and she promptly stood up looking resolved. “Alright well first things first. You can stay with us as long as you like. We have plenty of room and food and you’re welcome to it.” Buffy opened her mouth to protest but Anne raised her hand to silence her, having none of it. “I will not take no for an answer. I will give you some of my old clothes for now until we can make a trip into town on Monday to buy you some new ones. You will stay in the guest room next to William’s and he can show you there now. He can give you the grand tour tomorrow, but for tonight you should both get some rest after your ordeal.”

“I really don’t want to impose…” Buffy insisted though she wasn’t sure what else she would be able to do. All she knew is that she didn’t want to do anything to inconvenience this wonderful woman.

“It is no imposition at all darling, we have plenty to go around.” She assured her, she then turned to William. “Show Buffy to her room and bring her some of my clothes from the closet that she can use for now.”

William looked at his Mother with slight indignation but wasn’t willing to fight with her. He wasn’t sure why the rude woman had to stay in his house but of course his Mother would never allow otherwise for someone who had nothing.

Buffy could see that William didn’t like the idea as much as his Mom did and it hurt. It had been a long time since she looked into those eyes and didn’t see love there. It was often mixed with annoyance of course, but now, that was all she saw. Nonetheless William reached out his hand to help Buffy up. Upon standing she realized just how much her dress was undone and quickly moved to keep it up.

“Oh my!” Anne said surprised. “So sorry dear, turn around I’ll fix it.” Buffy turned obediently and Anne quickly did up the dress without fixing the corset. “All set.” Anne told her and Buffy turned back to an increasingly impatient William.

He didn’t reach his hand out again and simply walked toward the stairs expecting Buffy to follow. She quickly did turning back to Anne quickly to give her a heartfelt thank you. “No trouble at all.” Was her sincere reply.

Buffy followed William up the stairs and down a long corridor to her new room. He opened the door for her and waited for her to go in. When she walked in she was amazed at the size and the beauty of the room. She was looking around awestruck, currently admiring the washbasin on the night table and hadn’t noticed William leave. When she turned around he was gone. “Spi- William?” She called.

He came back in holding a few garments, which he put on her bed. “Just getting your things, luv.” His tone did nothing to make her feel better but hearing him call her ‘luv’ for the first time in over a year, even with a different accent, made her smile.

“Thank you.” She thanked him timidly, looking at the ground.

“If you’re all set, I’ll be off now. Good night.” He was curt and she couldn’t figure out why. She knew he had his heart broken tonight but for the first time since she could remember, it wasn’t her doing it. She still felt a wave of guilt however at the thought of what Cecily had said to him.

All of this on her mind she still wanted to know one thing. “Why did you let them treat you like that?”

William stopped and turned around in the doorway. “Who?”

“The people at the party. Why did you let them bully you?” In the whole time she had known Spike he never would have let anyone do that to him. Even when he was evil she was sure he wouldn’t let anyone do that to anyone else. He would have considered it ‘poncy’ and killed them out of principle.

William looked angry now and Buffy finally realized why he didn’t like her. “I told you before, it’s none of your business and you would do well to stay out of it.” With that he walked out of the room closing the door harder than he needed to, leaving a hurt Buffy in his wake.

When Buffy turned away from the door trying to keep her tears from spilling when she saw Darla sitting on her bed. “So the powers that be aren’t just trying to hurt me?” She asked Darla incredulously.