Chapter 4: This is Your Soul, This is Your Soul on Earth

Acceptance- the understanding of having a certain meaning or purpose. To agree to take on responsibilities.



Cont…


“Thrilled”



“You know, you are exceedingly crotchety for an angel, and bub, I’ll tell you right now it ain’t gonna win you any points with the lady!” Ulysses chubby finger was flailing wildly towards the sharp scowl he was currently receiving.

“Yeah? Well seems to come natural, ‘right mate!” Spike’s brows knitted together before confusion marred his features, now a common occurrence. “Why exactly is that?”

“Being crotchety? Well you did get laughed at by a girl and…”

“No you git!” he snarled, “being… well ‘m naturally some what… ‘m a little bloody… Well, yeah actually.” He sighed defeated.

Ulysses picked at his fingers absentmindedly, shrugging away his response. “It’s just your personalty I suppose, all swagger and boom.”

Spike lunged forward. “Like hell it is! You did this too me! I was never… never before, Angels aren’t--”

“Well you’re not an Angel any more are you buddy-boy?”

Spike opened his mouth to protest but was hushed.

“Every soul has a personality, an essence and it’s not until that soul is on Earth that it is able to develop. The millennia you spent behind the gates you were a pure spirit, one that was never going to get the chance to ever spread its wings, so to speak.” He snorted. “This is who you have always been my bleached brother… we just added Earth and set the timer to hottie.”

The blond raised a skeptical brow. “How on Earth,” he paused shaking his head at the analogy, “am I suppose to accept that I can go from a blessed bloody Angel to a… to a… well ‘m a bad man!”

“I wouldn’t go that far, you’re a bit brash yes, a touch testy, I’ll admit, perhaps a hair hot-headed, but…”

“Got the point thanks!”

Ulysses erupted into laughter yet again.

“BUT,” he cleared his throat, expelling the last giggles, “you could never be a bad man, not ever Spike. You’d do good to remember that.”

“Right, I’ll be embroiderin’ it on a bloody cushion next time you see me, get right on it.”

“Now that, I’d pay to see.” He winked.

“Yeah, when Hell freezes over,” mumbling Spike turned from his all too pleased friend, descending the stairs two at a time before stopping abruptly.

“Oh and Lyss?” He waited for mischievous eyes to come upon his smug expression. “For the record mate, seems to be winin’ me plenty o’ points with the lady.”

“Cocky too.” Ulysses breathed, shaking his head while watching his charge finish his decent, a delighted little grin curling his lips. “This is going to be fun.”


~~


Buffy hopped onto the aged elevator, a slight skip to her step that hadn’t been there for weeks. Not since she lost her mother. Bouncing on the balls of her feet she hit 1 and let her mind wander as the door slid closed.

Major points goes to Giles for recruiting the way hot British guy to our neck of the woods. She stepped through the threshold onto the first floor as the doors gave way again. He had good muscles, and good lips, and good… what am I thinking he had good everything, definitely an A for goodness. Meandering towards her apartment she paid little attention to anything other then the beautiful man in her mind. Spike… Spike… I wonder how he got

Her thought was cut off.

“Hey. Buff.” The greeting was drawn out but still popped from between Angel’s lips.

Buffy cringed, just a little, the nickname somehow sounding perverted coming from him. “Hello Angel.” Her steps never faltered, she continued past wringing her hands together.

“What? No hug?” His arms stretched out to both sides as he stepped further out from his threshold.

“Is there something you need Angel?” She spat the words vehemently.

The tall man smirked, hands sliding into his pockets. “As a matter of fact-”

“Something that doesn’t involve me slapping you for even thinking, let alone saying out loud. In fact why don’t you just not talk, try ever again, sounds like a plan to me.” She pivoted away again sharply, not wanting to deal with his games.

He leaned back against the door jam now, loving when she sassed him, knowing he could get her to play. “Well I was going to say I needed help re-installing the blinds that keep falling down, shotty work by the manager I’m guessing…” he spat, “but if you’re busy I could just call Giles and-”

“Stop!” Buffy’s hand flew out, panic striking her features. “I’ll help!” She forced herself calm, eyes snapping shut only to re-open slowly. Why does he always do this? “Just give me a little while, I’ll be over this after noon, promise.” She faked a smile.

“That’s my girl.” He purred.

She hesitated until he turned back into his dwelling. “Not your girl.”

She shrank into herself, eyes never leaving her feet as she crawled away to the safety of her home.

“Never was your girl.”

~~


Ulysses allowed his gaze to roam over his mission and the surrounding apartment, never leaving his spot perched on the edge of the loft. His head slid from side to side, shaking ever so slightly.

“Unless you know something I don’t and Buffy is hiding someone in here don’t you think we’re wasting a little time here sport-o?” He snorted, watching Spike open and re-open every door, cupboard and drawer throughout the entire apartment.

“Just trying to get m’self acquainted with the new place is all… don’t want to forget where the loo is in m’ own flat! Bloody embarrassin’ that!” As he spoke he was moving around food in the fridge, wondering if he would like the taste of any of it. Hot Buffalo wings? Not made from buffalo… this place is so bloody confus-

“Well whenever you are ready to… I don’t know… save Joyce Summers and-”

“Best stop right there mate…” Spike pointed severely at his guide, “You’re on dangerous ground!” His guilt fanned his rage.

Ulysses hands went up in surrender as he spoke with a shrug. “I’m just trying to keep you on track here my ivory Adonis, the faster you make amends the faster you… well… make amends.”

“‘Bout that?” The blond was clearly contemplating something. “Didn’t you tell me that once I allowed you to zap me with your Scorch o’ the Earth there that I would… what was it….” He scratched his chin, “Oh right, know how to make amends.”

“Did I?” Ulysses played dumb.

“Angel or not I will gladly teach you a-”

“Whoa! WHOA!” He placed outstretched arms between himself and the rapidly advancing Ex- Angel. “You know all about Buffy and Joyce and you should remember what it was she saw by now, am I right?” He hoped.

“Yeah. Thanks, once again, to you and your accidental on purpose mind searing touch. Remind me to send a bleedin’ card!”

“I highly doubt you were sent to Earth for witty banter and verbal sparring, this isn’t the TV movie of the week, it’s real life Spikey-boy… sooooo I suggest you think about the task at hand.” He stressed the urgency of the real issue with his tone, despite the joke. “What did Joyce see Spike?” He was serious now.

Spike evaded eye contact now, suddenly nervous, mouth dry.

“Her mother? When I…uh… sod it.” He gave in and allowed his eyes to slip closed. “She saw the girl first, cryin’ and carrying on…” His head was swaying; he appeared to be in a daze. “Doesn’t seem natural, a girl like that, so… so broken.” Clearing his voice he continued. “Then it was Buffy again, but… there was somethin’ different ‘bout her, no tears. She was tossin’ out some books, got no clue what that’s ‘bout. Then…” He growled deep and low, fists clenching. “Some pillock tryin’ to have a go, aimin’ at forcing himself on her!” His face lightened a bit. “Looks like she was doing a right good job of fightin’ him off though…” smiling, “She’s a spark plug, this one.”

“All of that is significant… not only did that contribute to our little Golden Goddesses predicament, but to Joyce’s as well. It was those images that caused the rift, got it bucko.” He accentuated each word with a deliberate nod of his head.

“Right. So deal is… the bird’s all torn up ‘bout mom and Captain Forehead…” Ulysses eyed him at that, “and it’s my job to get her to what? Man up and cope? Believe in God again?” He seemed confused.

“Not sure.”

“Oi!” Spike’s eyes narrowed as he raised his voice, he was pacing now. “You said all I had to do was make her believe!”

“Is all that bleach going to your head?” This did not elicit a better reaction so he continued quickly. “What I said FIRST was that it wasn’t that simple!”

“What are you on ‘bout now?” He sighed, exasperated.

Ulysses traversed the distance between them, making his way to the living space below. “Well you are right about making her believe. It’s just not as simple as all that. She isn’t just having a crisis of faith here, it’s gonna take more then some Touched by an Angel Roma Downey pep talk to fix this.”

“Course it is. Wouldn’t be any fun if it was easy would it.” He settled on the couch. “So, what exactly is her deal?” Course I get the case with the chit who’s gone straight off the deep end.

“I couldn’t say-” Spike glared, “-exactly, but if I had to guess, knowing how fragile humans are in general… I’d say she’s lost her faith in everything, not just the Big Guy.”

“She seemed pretty happy when I met her… sassy even?” The blonde’s lips curled up appreciatively.

“If you trust me on one thing Spike… let it be this, looks can be deceiving… that girl is anything but.” Ulysses let out a long breath of air.

Nodding his head once Spike took everything in. “Right, well then I think a plan is in order, don’t you Lyss?”

“Couldn’t hurt…. Well I mean it could but that’s pretty rare, and I still think everyone over-reacted to the whole Watergate thing any-”

“Now who needs to focus?” He wore his smug expression proudly, turning away.

“Cheeky little…” he mumbled under his breath.

Spike snapped his head back around. “I heard that! Someone needs a lesson in manners.” He sing-songed.

“Cheeky and deluded… wonderful.”


~~


Once safe within the confines of her apartment Buffy allowed herself to relax, rolling her shoulders a few times to ease the tension. She walked over to the window, peering out at the bright and busy palm tree lined street below.

Riiiiiiiiiing

The phone interrupted her daze. She rubbed up and down her arms as she strode over to the receiver as if she was suddenly cold.

“Hello, Buffy Summers speaking.” She made sure she sounded as carefree as possible.

“Ah splendid! You’re home.” The warm English accent brought a soft smile to her lips.

“Yes Giles I’m home, I’m always home… I’m like the homeliest person there is,” she paused, “wait, never mind. What’s up?”

“Right,” he ignored her faux pas, used to them by now, “I just rang to inform you that I’ll be arriving back in the States this evening and should be home no later then 11pm tonight.” He sounded as if he was doing something else, packing perhaps.

“I am way ahead of you this time,” she bounced excitedly, “I have a car ready to pick you up after your plane lands and all the recent applications in alphabetical order on your desk!” She finished triumphantly.

“Buffy you really didn’t have to go and do all that, you are the building manager, not my personal assistant. I am fully capable of taking care of my own travel arrangements.” He sighed.

“Yeah, but I barely do anything around here and you let me live here rent free now, makes me feel like a mooch!” Buffy whined, but just a little.

“A what now?” Giles was cleaning his glasses, Buffy was sure. “Never mind, thank you anyway, it’s a lovely gesture none the less.”

“So how was the vacation back to the old country anyway?” she snorted, “bet you got into all kinds of trouble didn’t you? You can tell me… I’ll bet you were a rebel?”

Giles took a deep breath into the phone. “I can assure you I was no such thing. It was… restful, but I am ready to be back home.”

Ahhh Giles! You missed me!” The blond squeaked teasingly.

He fumbled with his words for a moment. “Well, yes, I suppose I did. How exactly are you fairing?”

Her good mood dimmed a tad. “Oh you know, bright and bubbly.”

“Right.” Giles shook his worried head. “Well in any case I’ll be home in no time at all and it sounds to me like you have everything covered.” He thought briefly, “Buffy…”

He waited for a reply. “Yes?”

“You didn’t say the applications were put in alphabetical order did you.” He squeezed the bridge of his nose together fearing he had heard her right.

“Uh huh! And I separated male applicants from female applicants! Why?”

“Oh dear lord!” He said it softly but was definitely cleaning his glasses again.

“What? What’d I do?” Buffy wore a worried expression, pushing out her bottom lip into a pout.

“Nothing… nothing for you to worry about now,” he chuckled lightly, “just, for future reference… all applications must be evaluated,” he paused again, “in the order wince they arrived to us, only fair you see.”

“Oh!” Buffy’s eyes popped to full diameter. “Ohhhh, Giles I am so sorry, I mean really, I couldn’t be sorrier!” She pleaded.

“It’s quite alright Buffy, I’m sure I will make do just fine.”

She sagged down into the chair near her, picking at her blouse, pouting once more. “And I’m sure it will never happen again.”

“Again, it’s fine.” He reassured her. “Oh and Buffy, how is our newest inhabitant settling in?”

“Newest? Oh!” Recognition dawning. “He’s, he’s, he’s…” she stopped and started several times, “so good.” It came out a little too passionately.

“Really?” Giles pondered her curious behaviour, but shrugged it off. “Well that’s a relief. I’ll see you later then.” He cut her off before she could say her goodbye, “Oh and Buffy… stay out of trouble, yes?”

“Hey! I’m no troublemaker! In fact I’m totally a Good Samaritan! Just yesterday I helped this little old—“

“Buffy.” He interrupted, “I didn’t mean to imply you were a troublemaker, just that I want you to take care,” he cleared his voice, “I worry you know.”

She felt a pang of guilt for snapping at him. “I know Giles. You take care too. See you when you get back.”

“Yes, until then.” With that he nodded once, as if she could see him and hung up the phone.

Buffy returned her handset to its dock, slumping down even further into the blue high back chair. Why does Giles even put up with me? First he deals with me always paying rent late, then with my mother getting sick and me flaking out completely for months. Then he helps me through… She shuddered. And now I live here rent free in exchange for being the ‘manager’. She snorted out loud, shaking her head. Well, not like being at these peoples beck and call is exactly easy… crap! She remembered Angel and sighed.

Noticing her small tool tote near the door she tilted her head to the side, eyeing a hammer. Mr. Fix It huh?


~~


“So.” Ulysses stood before Spike, an arm rising to stop by his head, one finger popping up. “First, you get to know the girl, can’t exactly change her whole life’s path if you’re not close.” His ward nodded once in response. “Second, you interrogate! But gently, girls are skittish, like little lambs,” Spike snorted up at the Angel, “Hey! Don’t start with me!” He continued, shifting his weight, putting his two fingers back into place. “Find out everything you can about how she feels, and what has happened in her past. Once females start talking it’s all hugs and songs and closure. Third,” another finger, “talk to her about your life, why you are happy and fulfilled and what not.” Spike’s eyes grew wide, worried. “Easy my pale partner it wont be all that bad, you have a ‘life’ story swirling around there in your brain and if I’m not mistaken it’s a pretty damn good one. Fourth is professional counselling, good thinking on that by the way and finally fifth is priest intervention. ” Ulysses ended smiling.

Spike just looked sick. “A-and that will work then?”

“Absolutely! We have a five step fail safe here brother!” His wings fluttered.

“Right.” The blue-eyed newborn sighed. “I jus’ hope it doesn’t take all that.” Spike thought about the last step, priest intervention. Not exactly gaggin’ to go traipsin’ ‘round the holy and such. With me being formerly of the like and talkin’ to an imaginary Angel I think less is more with the church on this one.

Ulysses knelt down before him. “Spike--” A knock at the door and he was gone in a blink.

Jesus!” He slapped his face. I’ll never get use to that, that or the swearin’. Another knock. That, the swearin’ or the soddin’ knockin’.

Knock-knock-knock-knock-knock-knock

“Oi! I’m comin’!” Spike pushed himself off the couch; sauntering over to the door a little irritated he flung it open. “What?”

“Holy Geez Louise!”


~




*A/N: Now that Ulysses and Spike have their plan and we know a little more about everyone and their relationships the 'apartment talking' is over and it'll be plot plot plot from here on out!!! Oh and I bet you can't guess who's at the door! Please pwwwwease review and tell me your thoughts and your guess for who has come to visit! May not be who you think! *g**