Chapter 7: Sunny Days are Here Again.

Heat- intensity, as of passion, emotion, color, appearance, or effect. The most intense or active stage: the heat of the moment.



“Let me just grab my purse.” Buffy smiled coyly as she slid further down the hallway. “I’ll just be a second.”

Spike watched her retreat, eyes roaming over her tantalizing form. He sighed contentedly, relieved to be away from the choking atmosphere of his enemies home and eager to spend more time with the Goddess now on her way back to him.

“You weren’t kiddin’ ‘bout it only takin’ a second luv,” he said, holding his arm out for her.

She took it happily. “Yeah, I live right next door,” she answered, disappointment clear, “at least the walls aren’t thin, I have no desire to know what goes on in there when the blinds are up. I mean put up and then down of course.”

“Hmm?” He would have had more to say had he been able to comprehend human speech at that moment. As it were he was staring down at their entwined appendages, all attention on the way her fingers curled around his bicep.

She tightened her grip to reign in his focus. “Spike?”

He moaned. Out loud. Fuck!

“Are you ok Spike?” she worried, “We don’t have to go if-”

“N-no pet, I’m fine,” he managed convincingly despite his state.

Buffy raised a brow, eyeing him carefully. “Alright,” she conceded, “but lets go somewhere close by, now you’re the one looking feverish.” She patted and stroked the arm she was holding with her other hand.

Spike’s jaw ticked, the pressure from clenching it so tightly painful. “C-close is good.”

~~

“Targets, code names Beauty and Bond, leaving site- over.” Andrew whispered to no one as he slunk down low at the opposite end of the long corridor, his all black Lycra one-sy allowing him to blend into the shadows there.

He waited for Spike and Buffy to take the corner towards the exit before jumping up; hugging the wall he began his ascension. “Targets are out of visual range, mission Licence to Thrill may now commence.”

With that Andrew dashed through the hallway, passing Buffy’s apartment he came to a stop, instead, at the door to the Managers Office. Sinking down into a squat he made fast work of picking the simple lock, squealing quietly when he succeeded.

“Reconnaissance mission is a go,” he breathed excitedly, slinking swiftly through the passageway. “Stage one of mission,” he said, walking towards the filing cabinets to his left, “gather intelligence on Beauty.” He yanked one drawer open, sifting through the resident files, coming to a stop at Summers, Buffy. “Bingo.”

~~

As they approached the large glass double doors Buffy reached into her purse, plucking out sunglasses she slid them onto her face with ease. Beaming up at Spike she let her head sag slightly onto his shoulder as they passed through the entrance and out into the real world.

Spike, only able to enjoy her more intimate position for a brief spell was rendered completely immobile once the doors swung shut behind them, leaving them with no protection from the intense California sun.

Jesus Christ.” He all but groaned out, the tingling feel of the warm rays heating his cool flesh.

“You sure you’re ok?” she was lifting her glasses in order to get a better look, squinting up at him.

“Yeah,” he barely stated, still enamoured with how the elements were teasing his body, the wind sweeping over him, feather light in its touch. His free hand came up involuntarily, starting at the collar of his black shirt he stroked downwards, absorbing the already burning temperature of the fabric, stopping just shy of his jeans. “It’s hot,” he whispered.

She was frozen now as well. Mouth suddenly dry she smacked her lips together faintly, needy for moisture. Buffy nearly collapsed when he rubbed himself. “Yeah. Hot.” was all she could manage.

Spike’s head lulled back, desperate for the pleasuring inferno to lay claim on his face.

Buffy, entranced by the soft-core porn esque display taking place before her, couldn’t help but to reach out, her hand straining towards him. Her curious fingers finally found his cheekbone, gliding over it slow and deliberate.

The dual sensations proving too much for him Spike jumped, releasing a guttural, “Uhhn.”

She mirrored him. A jolt of heat and lust coursing through her upon the touch, she jumped as well. “S-sorry,” she apologized, cheeks flaming, “You just seemed kinda out of it.” She looked away. Don’t you mean, you just seemed kinda sexy, all gorgeous and hot and I couldn’t keep my pervy hands off of you?

“N-no,” he began, calling upon all his will to temper his reaction to the glorious season. “It’s me who should be sorry,” he shook his head, “jus’ m’ first time in the sun.” It was out before he could register the faux pas.

What?” Buffy questioned, “Did you live in a cave or something?”

Spike searched his mind frantically for a response, “I- uh- I- LONDON.” Smooth.

“London?” she folded her arms with skepticism.

Yeah. He thought. You said: Live in a cave? And I thought: No in London. And in a brilliant bout of genius I blurted it out like the total and utter wanker I am. He smiled meekly.

“And what? There’s not a sun in the sky when you live in England?”

She had said just the right thing. “Actually love,” he recovered, his usual bravado already returning, “there innit.”

Buffy blinked a few times, thrown by the slow sex that was his voice. She opened her mouth to protest only to be silenced.

“London’s a dreary hole pet. Majority of days are full o’ clouds and rain. Sun,” he pointed up, “rarely makes an appearance, and when it does, it’s got nothin’ on this.” Buy it, buy it, buy it.

She pondered this for a moment, nodding in agreement after a short time. “Good,” she retorted, “cause for a second there I was beginning to think you were some kind of uni-bomber or something, living in a cave never seeing the sun, it’d be creepy.”

Bought! Wait? “Oi! Thanks for the vote of confidence kitten! Creepy eh?” He raised his brow; “I believe you were the one who was getting’ touchy, takin’ advantage of a bloke in rapture!”

Caught. Damn! “Hey! I was not taking advantage! I barely touched you!” She smacked his shoulder. Making a show of putting her sunglasses back in place, she turned away in a huff.

“And she hits me,” he said with a disappointed shake of his head, “where will the torment end.”

Buffy turned back, not able to keep the smile from her face, “With dessert hopefully, that is if you stop your whining and follow me to the café just up the street.”

He snorted, “Lead the way princess, lead the way.”

~~

Andrew edged the door open an inch, peering out just enough to discern whether or not the coast was clear. He saw nothing. Tip-toeing from the office he quickly shut it behind himself with a click. Flipping his head back and forth rapidly he began to slink down the hallway towards the elevators once he was certain danger was not afoot.

Facing towards the front doors, the direction Spike and Buffy had disappeared too some time ago, he continued on his path, moving backwards.

“What the hell are you doing?”

“AH!” Andrew flew into the air like a frightened cat. As he came to a landing, heart beating out of his chest, he took in the sight of Angel. Standing just outside his apartment, arms folded aggressively over his large chest, a not so amused expression written across his features.

The boy’s eyes bulged and a girly shrieked ripped from his throat. “Abort! Abort!” he yelled, running as fast as he could for the safety of the lift.

Angel stood there, never even making an attempt to turn around after the blond. “I’m telling you,” he muttered to himself, “freaks.”

~~

“Café Lavelle?” Spike read the establishments name off of a napkin as they sat at an available table located in the small outdoor area. “Let me guess pet. Come here often?”

Buffy forced her shades up, leaving them to perch atop her head, holding back her sun kissed tresses. “I do,” she answered carefully, “but I’m curious, why would you just assume that.”

He tightened his lips into a smirk. “Don’t know luv, call it a gift.” She let out an unlady-like snort.

“Yeah? Well this gift of yours? It wouldn’t have anything to do with the fact that this place is within two block of our building, reasonably priced, unpretentious and quiet now would it?” Her eyes sparkled, her tone challenging.

“Actually pet,” he held up a small menu, “I jus’ took you for a fan of the,” he glanced down at it for a quick second, “Chocolaty Goodness is it?” His expression was smug as he dangled the dessert list before her eyes.

“Hey!” she pouted, “you think you know me so well but you know what bub-”

“Hey Buffster!” A young man of medium build appeared, interrupting her rant. “Here for your usual? Tall glass of milk and one obnoxiously large piece of Chocolaty Goodness!” His smile reached from ear to ear, lighting up his entire face.

Buffy paled. “Speaking of obnoxious,” she avoided Spike’s celebratory gaze, “nice timing Xand, really, there should be balloons.”

“Huh?” he was confused, but chose not let it go. “And I see you have a friend with you today! A gentleman caller perhaps.” He winked nudging Spike.

Goofy lil’ whelp. Spike knitted his brows together defensively at the intruder only to have any animosity for the boy quickly dispelled once his eyes settled upon Buffy.

She looked absolutely panicked. Face aflutter with worry she was staring at Xander as if he had divulged the deepest darkest of secrets. Spike was delighted.

“Jus’ friends mate.” He answered, taking pity on his companion. He wasn’t expecting, however, for her expression to give way to another emotion. Disappointment? He wanted to scream at that moment. Wanted nothing more then to scoop her up into his arms, anything to show her that she would never be disappointed again. He opted for a slightly more subtle approach. “After all,” he added with a quick bite of his lower lip, “we jus’ met today.”

If the delicious pinking of her cheeks and the bashful bow of her head were any indication, his plan had worked.

“Riiiight.” Xander said, clearly sceptical. “Well, to honour this momentous occasion, cake’s on me.”

“Huh?” This garnered Buffy’s attention. “What occasion?”

“You two meeting, of course!” He threw out his hands. “Two young lovers,” he began in a terrible Italian accent, “brought together by fate, fate sealed with a cake!” He giggled.

Buffy’s eyes swelled once again. “Not lovers!” she whispered harshly, straining for others not to hear. “We just met remember Xander!”

He only smiled wider. “Of course not Buff,” he agreed patronizingly. Then bending down towards Spike before leaving he added, “Give it time my friend, the cake never fails.”

Spike nodded once at the waiter, keeping his stare fixed upon Buffy, enjoying her obvious blush. “Seems like a nice chap.”

“U-uh, yeah.” She fidgeted under his gaze. “Xander is great, owns this place,” she said, gesturing to the surrounding area, “he’s known for his amazing desserts and apparently for sticking is nose where it doesn’t belong. But aside from that he’s wonderful.” She smiled, shrugging.

He laughed lightly. “Well, we’ll see ‘bout the desserts now wont we.” He purred, winking.

Wink one more time buddy and I’m going to lunge across this table and attack you like a-

“Two colossal chunks of chocolaty heaven coming right up!” Xander reappeared interrupting her thoughts. He placed the desserts on the table, followed by tall glasses of milk. “There, my friends, is a virtual cornucopia of cakey deliciousness, if I do say so myself!”

“Thanks Xand.” She offered, quelling her earlier visions.

“Yeah. Thanks mate.” Spike seconded, holding out his hand. “Spike.”

The brunette accepted the friendly gesture, gathering up the awaiting appendage. “Xander Harris. Nice to meet you… Spike?” he questioned.

“It’s William Pratt, Spike jus’ stuck.” He corrected.

“Ah, I see. And I’m guessing there’s a story there.”

“Not one you’re ever hearing.” He warned playfully.

“Ah. Enough said.” He smiled warmly at Buffy. “Well you two crazy kids enjoy now, and as always, there’s more where that came from.” And with that he turned, dissolving back into the café.

“So pet, “ he began, “world famous treat, a personal favorite of Miss Buffy Summers.” He dug his fork deep into the rich confection. “I’m expectin’ perfection.”

“I stand firmly by my opinions on sweets.” She replied, readying a bite herself.

They raised their forks in cheers before plunging them into their waiting mouths.

Ohhhh, bloody hell.” The words were a primal admission of total and complete approval. Both his hands slammed down upon the table, startling Buffy even more then his moaning had. Head lulling back he continued making soft pleasurable sounds, while hungrily licking his lips.

She stared, transfixed. Don’t go there Buffy. Don’t go there Buffy.

After drawing every last ounce of flavour from his first taste, swallowing hard, he finally returned to Earth. What he discovered once there was Buffy, staring wide-eyed at him, her fork still loaded with cake, mere centimeters from her gaping lips.

“U-uh, Sorry luv.” He picked up a napkin, searching for a diversion.

Someone pressed play. “Oh. Um- No. Don’t be,” she reddened, “I assume you like it then?”

“You could say that, yeah.” He admitted sheepishly. Dear God, Earth is swell. This week I got a soddin’ hard-on in front o’ an Angel and nearly creamed m’ panties from a sugary delight. Thanks for the bloody heads up. Faithfully yours, the biggest git this side of Heaven.

“See,” Buffy continued, “I know the good stuff!” She finished, finally taking her first bite, making soft yummy noises of her own.

Bet you do kitten. Bet you do.

~~

Andrew slammed his door shut behind himself, flattening his back against the wood; he drew in strained gulps of air. “Q-1 safely back at headquarters,” he panted, bending at the waist he dropped a thick file on the floor, propping himself up by his knees, “mission successful.”

~~

They held hands now. Strolling back to the building at a leisurely pace both desperate for a little more time with one another.

Spike tightened and relaxed his fingers several times, desiring to experience an array of feelings with the little contact his body had with hers.

Buffy allowed her thumb to gently stroke the backside of his hand in small circles, loving the way his eyes closed every now and then from her ministrations.

“Here we are.” She was the first to speak once they arrived at the buildings entrance.

“Here we are.” He repeated. You’re a bloody Casanova you are.

She looked up at him, her lips pulling up into a small smile. “Thanks for going to lunch with me. Well, it wasn’t much of a lunch, seeing as how we just had cake.” Her emerald spheres danced. “Or I should say you had cake… your cake, my cake, plus…how many was it?”

“Oi! One! Plus one. And you were the one who was cheerin’ me on, it was bloody peer pressure what it was.” Spike defended.

Buffy giggled, “Hey I accept no responsibility buster.” She swayed innocently. “However eager I may have been.”

“Yeah. Well don’t be expecting a repeat performance anytime soon pet, already not feelin’ so hot.”

She frowned a little. “Sorry, I hope your Herculean cake devouring doesn’t end up on the side of icky.”

“No worries luv, I wager I’ll be good as new in no time.” He rubbed his stomach.

“Well I’ll be boycotting all cake in the mean time, show ‘em who boss.”

A giggle escaped only to be followed by a weak moan. “Sweet gesture kitten, I appreciate it.”

She chewed on her lip, unsure of what to say. “Well, uh, see you soon I’m sure.”

“Course pet.” He replied.

“Well bye.” She started into the apartment.

“Wait.”

She turned back, surprised to find him directly behind her. She nearly bumped flush against him upon turning around. “Y-yes.” She stammered.

“It’s jus’,” he all but whispered. Leaning into her his hand came up to caress her face.

Her lids fluttered shut, lips parted, eager for what was to come. Her heart thudded against her ribcage, blood rushing to the surface of her face, straining towards his advancing form.

“Got it.”

What?

Buffy’s eyes popped open, glistening with desire, wide with confusion. “Huh?”

“You had a little crumb on your face pet. No worries, took care o’ it.” He smiled, completely clueless as to what just occurred.

“Crumb?” she ignited with embarrassment. “Thanks.” She squeaked out before pivoting, sprinting off into the building.

Huh? “Something I said then?” he questioned to no one, shaking his head.

Bloody women.

~



*A/N: Hope everyone enjoyed... and dont worry we are awfully close to the snogging lol. Have to get through day one is all. Please please please let me know what you think... your reviews are what make worth while!!*