Chapter 8: I’ll See You in My Dreams

Exhaustion- great fatigue or weariness. The condition of being used up; complete consumption.




Spike returned to his flat, weary and sore after that afternoon’s encounters. Nudging the door closed with a gentle shove of his shoulder, both arms caressed his churning abdomen. Never eatin’ another bloody thing long as I live. He paused. Well, maybe one last piece of that cake before I go. His angry stomach protested loudly. Maybe not.

“You don’t look so hot dumplin’.” Ulysses offered, appearing suddenly on the couch, startling Spike. “Tsk tsk. Now what have you done?”

He recovered quickly, becoming increasingly used to his guardian’s magic act, only to groan in pain the very next moment. “Cake,” he grunted, “ate too bloody much.”

“Devil thy name is chocolate eh?” The Angel’s greying curls bounced as giggles rolled off him.

Spike folded his arms like a sullen child. “You’re the Devil,” he whined.

Hardly. Now, how did things go with Miss Summers my pained prince?” He waited expectantly.

Spike made his way over to where his friend was resting; taking extreme care he curled up like a tired kitten beside him. “Fine. Good.” His voice was strained and tired. “’Sides the marathon eatin’ that is. Oh. That and I apparently am lackin’ in the way o’ class. Stopped the girl to wipe ‘way a tiny lil’ crumb and she went off her bloody rocker. Ran from me and everythin’.”

This perked Ulysses attention. “Ran from you? What’d you do you barbarian, tell her she looked like a pig?”

He snorted in defiance. “Hardly, “ he mimicked his accuser, “jus’ told the chit to wait a moment, leaned in real low like, took my hand and brushed the morsal off her lip and it was done. Seemed all right to me, soddin’ girl even closed her bloody eyes, held her breath, opened her mouth a bit too like she-” his eyes slammed shut in realization, “oh for the LOVE of everything HOLY!”

Ulysses erupted with laughter. “Oh be still my beating heart you are a ladies man aren’t you?”

“Oi! Not like I’ve had any practice ‘right mate!” Spike seethed.

“Oh,” he wiped the tears from his eyes, still fighting them back, “poor girl, thought she was getting prince charming, but instead got stuck with one of the dwarfs.”

“Hey! I’m no dwarf! You take that back right this very minute you-”

“Oh! I don’t know about that. I’d say you could pass for several… there’s Bashful, Grumpy of course, and I’d say you’re doing a pretty stellar job of capturing Dopey at the moment.” He pulled back his lips into a gleaming smile.

“Oh you’re hilarious! Really, I’m all aflutter on the inside.” Spike recoiled bitterly, sinking deeper into the sofa.

Ulysses rolled his eyes. “Got no sense of humour.”

Spike adjusted himself on the cushions, letting his eyes lull closed, exhaustion suddenly winning over. “Got no sense of anything remember?” he muttered softly.

“Have I ever told you, you err on the side of the melodramatic? Not that it bothers me, mind you. You are definitely entertaining, a laugh a minute. And for what it’s worth Spikey boy, I think you are doing a wonderful job for you’re first day. Can you believe that? Only been a human for a handful of hours. Well, probably seems like a lifetime to you, this being your first time even breathing, let alone walking and talking and- Spike?” Ulysses stopped abruptly, poking the blond beside him.

Nothing.

“Spikey?”

A soft snore began to seep from the sleeping beauty.

The Angel rose then, swiftly venturing towards the closet near the bathroom he retrieved a blanket from the shelves. Hastily making his way back to the slumbering man, Ulysses gently covered him, careful not to make him stir.

“And he sleeps.” He whispered.

~~

Buffy released the breath she’d kept trapped within her chest relinquishing a defeated, “Nah.” Now alone, safe within the confines of her and Giles’ office, she let her head drop back against the door with a loud thwack. Way to go Buffy. She chided. I’m sure running for the door makes all the boys go ‘Ooooooo’. She pushed off from the thick mahogany, strolling over to take a seat at the ancient desk in the center of the room. Way too act like a mature adult. I’m sure Spike is kicking himself for even going out with you right about now. So what if he didn’t kiss you?

Frustrated, she snatched the phone from its cradle, punching in the familiar numbers.

“Hello, Magic Box, how may I service you?” the chipper voice asked.

“You know that sounds dirty right Will?” Buffy replied glibly.

Willow giggled, “Hush up missy! It’s not my fault your mind is always in the gutter!”

Her mood lightened immediately, taking in a healthy dose of exactly what she needed she continued. “Me? You’re mind is totally in the gutter! Seriously, if there was a town called Guttersville you’d be like the mayor!” she teased.

She gasped mockingly at her friend’s accusation. “I’ll have you know that I haven’t had a single naughty thought all day! Shows you!”

It was Buffy’s turn to giggle. “So Tara’s not there today huh?”

Hey! I’m not so easily predictable!”

“Will.”

“Ok no. But I’ve been really good lately anyhow. You know, all subtle and coy, very mysterious. You’d be proud!”

“I’m sure I would,” she commended. “So how’s business? Woo anymore rebellious teens into the world of Wicca?”

The redhead smiled into the phone. “A few. How about you? Anyone dish-worthy move in?”

Buffy paled. “U-uh- um- I- there’sonenewguy.” She ran the words together frantically.

“Was that English Buffy?”

“Uh-huh.”

“Really? Care to elaborate? Like in full sentences perhaps? One’s with pauses and breathing.”

Buffy glared, “I said there’s one. new. guy.”

Willow smirked knowingly. “Oh? And this new guy… what’s he like?”

Letting out a long sigh she smiled despite herself. “You know… built like a Greek god, perfect mixture of sugar and spice, face of an angel… the usual.”

“Earth to crazy Buffy there is nothing usual about that!” she nearly choked. “But wait? Isn’t sugar and spice what little girls are supposed to be made of?”

“Huh? Whatever,” she shrugged before continuing, “and did I mention he’s British.”

“And you’ve left him alone?” she teased.

“Oh come on Will! You know, relationships and Buffy, not so mixy.”

“That’s just because you’ve been out of the game too long! It’s time to get back on the horse little lady!” she argued, “And I’m thinking this horse- is going be an English Thoroughbred.”

Buffy burst into an uncontrollable fit of laughter. “Ewww! Willow! You are such a hussy!”

“Hussy shmussy. You know I’m right! It’s not exactly every day that you find a guy you actually like. I hate to break it to you, but you’re kinda picky.”

“Am not! I’m just selective.”

“Buffy that’s the same thing.”

“Oh.”

“Take advice from your best friend and go for it! I mean, come on, he sounded absolutely divine.”

“Yeah,” she agreed, “he’s pretty-” she paused, “well… pretty.”

“That settles it then. Buffy Summers will ride again!”

Willow! Please!” she chastised, blushing.

“What?” she questioned innocently, “I’m just saying.”

“Yeah, yeah. I know exactly what you’re saying that’s the problem.”

“It won’t be that bad Buffy,” she soothed, “what’s the worst that could happen?”

“I’m thinking death and dismemberment, “ the blond scoffed.

Willow raised a sceptical brow. “From dating?”

“I think you seriously overestimate my abilities here Will,” she warned.

“That’s enough of that!” she interjected, “I’m putting my foot down and you know what that means?”

“Resolve face.” Buffy sighed, beaten.

“That’s right! And no. more. sass!”

“Know what Will? You’ve really gotten bossy,” she joked.

“Well someone has to.”

“Fascist.”

“Brat.”

Buffy shook her head. “I’ll talk to you later,” she let out a soft giggle, “goodbye Mein Fuhrer.”

“Auf Wiedersehen.”

~~

Giles leaned over the open mouth of the transports trunk, tugging roughly he dislodged both weathered suitcases from it’s grasp.

Slamming it closed he addressed the driver. “I don’t quite know what to say,” he started, “It was a unique experience to say the least. I don’t believe I’ve ever made it from the airport to my building in under 30 minutes before.”

“No problem gramps.” The young man replied.

Giles gasped, “I am no such thing! We could be brothers for heaven’s sake!”

“You keep telling yourself that buddy, “ he retorted, speeding away, leaving Giles alone in the dark street.

“Hooligan.” He tsk’d to himself.

Making his way through the first floor towards the lift at the far end, he came to an abrupt stop in front of his office. Noticing a soft glow escaping from below the door he set his luggage down, readying himself for an investigation. Twisting the knob slowly he sucked in a sharp anticipatory breath, only to let out a sigh of relief when his gaze settled upon a sleeping Buffy.

Curled tightly into the desk chair she looked supremely peaceful as she slumbered.

Giles crept over, halting just beside her. “Buffy?” he asked, poking her once gently on the shoulder.

Her body responded, head lulling back even farther, a steady snore filling the small space.

“Oh dear lord,” he proclaimed, snatching the spectacles from his face. “Buffy!” he repeated more aggressively, swiftly flicking on the desk lamp.

“Huh? Wha-Mom?” she questioned groggily, still somewhat unaware.

Giles’ complexion darkened into deep rouge. Clearing his throat, ignoring her slip, he replied, “It’s me Buffy. I’m home.”

Her sleepy stare rested on the man beside her. “Giles.” She smiled sweetly up at him.

He patted her nearest hand, returning her smile. His brow knitted together a moment later. “Don’t tell me you were waiting up for me? Really Buffy, there is absolutely no need to go to such great lengths to-”

“Breathe Giles!” she interrupted. “You have seriously got to learn to chill. I wasn’t waiting in here for you, creepy much!” He returned the glasses he’d been holding to his face, frowning at her assertion. “I must have dozed off this afternoon after talking to Willow. I haven’t exactly been sleeping well since you left, guess it caught up with me,” she admitted shyly.

His eyes softened with her confession. “I see. Well in that case it’s a small blessing that I happened by then.” He ruffled her hair. “Now off to bed with you my dear. No sense sleeping in a chair when you have a perfectly good mattress awaiting you.” He shooed her up and out the door.

Before disappearing completely she froze, turning back to him. “Giles?”

“Hmm? Yes?”

“I’m glad you’re back.”

His cheeks stained once again as he smiled fondly. “Yes, well it’s good to be back.”

She returned his affection and smile. “Night.”

“Goodnight.”

~~

Wake. Up!”

Thump-Thump-Thump

Spike jolted up from the couch with a strangled “AH!” falling to the floor with a crack.

“Huh? Wha’? OW!” he panted in confusion and pain.

Thump-Thump-Thump

HEL-LO?”

The now seriously brassed off blond jumped up from the ground, clawing the hardwood as he rose. Nostrils flaring, jaw clenching he stormed towards the intruding presence.

What?” he roared, nearly ripping the door off its hinges.

“Eep!” the terrified mewl was all Andrew got out upon being faced with the seething Brit.

Spike raised a brow, still furious. “Well?”

“Uh-I-uh- have something for you?” he barely articulated.

Anger not abating Spike looked down at the file clutched firmly in his infiltrator's shaking hands. “Yeah? What?” he sneered.

“Uh-it’s-uh- information on Buffy, see I-”

“Come in.” ‘Buffy’ was all the convincing he needed, being so rudely woken up swiftly forgotten.

Andrew blew out a long breath; visibly relaxing he crossed the threshold. “You’re wearing the same clothes as yesterday?” he noticed.

“Huh?”

“Your clothes. You wore them yesterday. I know because I remember thinking that you looked like a handsome rogue assassin.” His eyes danced.

Spike only blinked.

Andrew shifted uneasily under the scrutinizing gaze. “You know,” he tried, “cause of the all black. Very ‘lone gunman’.”

“Right. Did you say you had somethin’?” he changed the subject.

“Oh. Yeah!” he bounced, “I gathered some intelligence on our lady Buffy, as promised, and am ready when you are for the debriefing.”

Spike sat silently on the couch, folding his arms across his chest, thinking for a moment. Finally seemingly coming to a conclusion he spoke, “Go on then.”

Andrew bubbled over with excitement. “Where to begin? Ah! The lady in question… one Summers, Buffy. Born 1/23/1984 in Los Angeles, California. Eyes- green, weight- 114lbs. Pervious address 1630 Revello Drive Sunnydale, California. Left handed, also… she’s an organ donor!”

He stared wide-eyed. “Says all that in there?”

“Yeah! Well, there was a copy of her driver’s licence. I know her social security number too if you’d-”

“WHA-NO!” he flew out of his seat, hands in the air. “What kind o’ information gatherin’ you do mate?”

Andrew’s face burned in shame. “I-uh- might have snuck into the manager’s office and borrowed her resident file,” he admitted sorrowfully.

Spike’s orbs bulged from his head now. “You did WHAT!” he wailed, “I may fancy the chit but I’d rather not go to prison for the rest of m’ bloody life if it’s all the same to you!”

“I only did it to help you.” The boy hung his head pathetically.

“That right? Well, while you were off playin’ ‘secret agent men’ you were also committin’ a bleedin’ felony! Several I’d venture to say!” He sucked in large gulps of air.

“So, I guess that means you don’t want to know what I found then?”

Ehhh,” he moaned disgustedly, “you’re sick you know that. I mean it’s a real problem you got. A room with bars might not be such a bad-”

“She lost everything when her mom died!” He cried frantically.

“I’m NOT LIS- Wait? What?” Spike froze, again anger and felony suddenly things of the past.

“Buffy,” he began carefully, “I knew she didn’t have any real family left, just Giles and all of us here. Seemed like there was more to it so I coped her file so I could do some digging,” he looked down, embarrassed. “She never talks about her personal life, too painful. Sad story, really, like young Luke Skywalker after-”

“To the point Obe-wan.” He bit out, his frustration on the rise.

“Oh! Well, since she’s such a tight lipped lucy I took the file, like I said, and forgetting for the moment that I may now be headed to the big house due to my dance on the dark side I did crack into the heart of our Miss Summers.”

“That right?”

“Yes! You’d be amazed what you can find out about a person if you have their renter history and tax information!” he nodded.

“Remindin’ me of your ‘dance’ was it, not exactly helpin’ your cause Nancy Drew.” Spike chided.

“Right! Well… turns out before Buffy’s mom di-”

“AHH!” Spike shrieked loudly, cutting the boy off abruptly. Spinning around towards what had startled him he soon was face to face with a very unhappy Ulysses. He gave a warning glare; quickly turning back to the now frightened and worried Andrew. “Sorry mate thought I felt a bug.” He offered, choosing to appear weak rather then insane.

“Oh.” He replied meekly, still breathing heavily from the scream. “I hate bugs.”

Ulysses moved around the couch and in between the two men.

“Yeah. Pesky lil’ buggers they are.” He growled, his irritation aimed at the Angel.

“I am only going to warn you once you stupid man-childe!” Ulysses was fuming. “Going behind a girls back, one that it is your duty to help,” he took a steadying breath reigning in his disapproval a bit, “may not be the slickest move here ace!”

“Well I didn’ ask for your input now did I?” Spike snapped back.

“Uh, actually you did.” Andrew replied softly.

Spike eyes widened. “Uh-right. Continue then.”

“Swell cover smooth operator.” Ulysses stepped closer to his charge. “But I think it’s best if Buffy tell you about her past Spike, not Fisher-Price Fun-With-Felonies over here.”

He stared back at him, remembering not to reply.

“So, like I was saying, before Buffy’s mom-”

“Oi! Hold on a tick there mate.” Spike never broke his gaze with Ulysses, pausing for a long moment. “I’ve changed m’ mind.” He finally continued. “Or more like reverted to m’ original mindset and that’s that this is borderin’ on stalkin’ with a side o’ creepy.”

Andrew’s face fell. Ulysses smirked triumphantly.

“Eh! Now don’t go getting’ your panties in a twist,” he said, speaking to both men, “Not sayin’ that ‘cause o’ you. Jus’ think I’m more then capable o’ getting’ to know the chit without covert ops.” He eyed Ulysses, “or a babysitter.”

“Does that mean you’re going to ask her out?” Andrew squealed.

“Suppose it does.”

“Hey, hey, hey now lets not get ahead of ourselves love monkey! I didn’t mean for you to jump in like that. I think it would be better to be friends with Miss Summers. A romantic relationship is a tricky thing and I’m not sure it’s the best way to garner her trust not to mention-”

“Beggars can’t be choosers Lyss.” He cut in.

“Huh?” Andrew asked, temporarily ceasing his celebratory bouncing.

“Nothin’ boy. Look thanks for the effort there. Really. But I think I got it from here on out. Don’t really fancy a matchmaker… so how ‘bout friends?” he stuck his hand out.

Andrew’s eyes welled with unshed tears. Scooping up Spike’s offered hand he gushed, “best friends!”

Spike sighed. “Whatever mate, jus’ go put the file back where it belongs, keep your mouth shut ‘bout it and I’ll be your best bloody anythin’.”

The boy’s eyes bugged from his skull as he quivered with excitement.

“Anythin’ within reason o’ course.” He quickly interjected.

“Of course.” He repeated.

“Now get.” Spiked shooed.

With that Andrew hurried away, chirping with delight.

“Was it Buffy you were planing on asking out or Robin the Boy Wonder there? I’m confused.”

Spike snapped his head back over to his aggravating partner, pulsating with unchecked rage. “You are this close.” He threatened.

Still not scared. And still not sure dating Buffy is-”

“You will be.” He said matter-of-factly.

“What?”

“Scared and sure. You will be.” Spike re-iterated cockily.

“Yeah? I actually hope you’re right Spike, for your sake.”

“Haven’t been wrong yet.”

“You’ve been alive for 24 hours.”

“Doesn’t have a bloody thing to do with me being right.”

“You’re incorrigible.”

“You’re unreasonable.”

“Jerk.”

“Bitch.”

“You really plan on courting Miss Summers?”

“Yup.”

“May God help you.”

~



*A/N: Day one over lol! I know this chapter lacked Spuffy-lovin' but this fic needs some set up... but I promise from here on out the fic is riddled with delicious Spuffy moments. Hope everyone enjoyed! Please let me know your thoughts. I always appreciate anyone's opinion. Reviews are love! *g**

p.s: the AMAZING Midnite_Holic made me a lil' prezzie! The most gorgerous manip inspired by my fic *dies* She's converting it to a fic banner at my request *thanks her again* as we speak and it should be up on this fic by the next update for all to see!