Author's Chapter Notes:
First I would like to say thank you to all the people who reviewed. You guys are the best! Now for the next chapter. How is Spike going to get himself out of this mess? Truth? Fiction? A little bit of both? :D
Chapter 2: Who Are You?


It was Spike. The man she met at the club the previous night. He was fighting off the last demon with grace. Still in a haze she enjoyed the show of watching him fight. When he snapped the head off the final demon he turned to find her staring at him.


“You alright, luv?” He had to chuckle at her confused look.


“Spike? What are you doing? And here?”


“Looked like you use a hand, Slayer. Didn’t think I was gunna let you have all the fun, did you?” He smirked at the obvious confusion on the blonds face.


Boy, was that look hot. (“Wait, focus Buffy, focus.”)


“How did you..?”


“Guess you can say I’ve had a bit a practice.” He chuckled again. Then it hit him. How was he going to explain this? Bollocks.


“Are you like a demon fighter?” She asked finally catching up with what was going on.


“Uh, yeah. Something like that, pet.” Hey he’d go with it.


“You know who I am?”


“Slayer.” He confirmed.


“How do you know about me?”


“If you know about demons you hear about the slayer, pet.” He was satisfied with his answers. They weren’t completely untruthful. He did fight demons occasionally. If they pissed him off.


“Oh, so are you gunna like help me?” She asked hopefully. She would love a patrolling buddy. Especially a yummy Spike shaped patrolling buddy.


“Gotta watch your back don’t I, pet? Plus, can’t let you nab all the fun.”


“Ok” She said with a smile.


“Think we got all the baddies out tonight, luv. You hungry?” She nodded and they walked to the closest diner. They talked about things that went bump in the night. He casually avoided anything he was not willing to disclose. They ate and laughed forgetting in that moment they were a slayer and a vampire. When they were done with their meals Spike walked her back to her dorm and agreed to meet her for patrol the next night. Willow already asleep so she snuck in, quietly getting ready for bed with a smile on her face.


Smiling on the way back to his momentary home he realized what he was smiling about. (“It’s the bloody slayer you pillock. Nothin’ to get excited about. Jus’ gunna kill the stupid bint. It’s just a bloody job.”) He decided he needed to check in with the poof and let him in on the plan now that he was settled. He hated to check in but he didn’t want to bollocks it up when there was this much cash in jeopardy. As he felt the sun start to rise he decided to get some kip. He fell asleep with thoughts of the slayer still floating around in his mind.


******


“Willow! You will never believe what happened last night on patrol.” She exclaimed when she met her friend for lunch the next day.


“What? Did something bad happen? Is it another apocalypse?” The redhead asked nervously.


“No. It’s nothing of the bad.” Buffy assured her.


“Oh, so what happened?” Buffy ran through the whole night about Spike and how he was going to help her. She told her how easily they talked for a couple hours and how much she enjoyed his company. When she finally had to leave for class she had memories of Spike in her head.


******

Waking up about half and hour before sunset he dressed and took out the bag of blood he got from Willy’s. He didn’t want to alert the slayer with increasing the population of dead in Sunnydale. He decided he needed to get a proper place to call home if he was going to be getting close to the slayer. A crypt would defiantly raise suspicion. When the sun was low enough for him to safely walk about he went looking for a place. He was able to find one between the bad part of town and Buffy’s house, which gave him easy access to Buffy and the blood he needed. By the time he had everything settled he needed to meet Buffy.


When Buffy left her dorm to patrol she was happy to see Spike leaning against the wall casually smoking a cigarette in a non-smoking hall. She smiled at him.


“You came.”


“Course I came, pet. Told you I would.” He said as he started walking towards her.


“Ready for a bit of the rough and tumble?” She smiled and nodded and they headed to make their rounds. When they were sure they disposed of all the evil for the night they headed to the diner, same as the night before, to get a snack. Thankfully for Spike, Buffy did most of the talking. He sat and listened, learning about her life, putting his input in when he felt it was necessary. He enjoyed listening to her talk and enjoyed listening to her laugh. He walked her home and they began their routine. He would meet her at her house or at her dorm to pick her up for patrol. He would watch her movements as she fought. Watched her beauty, telling himself he was studying her. Finding her weakness, learning her moves. All for the kill and defiantly not for the pleasure. When he was sure of a way to kill her he would make his move. No sooner. He had to take it slow. He couldn’t risk failing. She was amazing. He would have only one chance.


******

Most nights on patrol were very uneventful. They would find a vamp or a demon and they would slay it either taking turns or fighting together if there was enough competition but tonight something happened that never seemed to happen, Buffy slipped. It started off a normal night at patrol. Buffy was fighting two vamps, no problem for her so Spike was sitting against a tombstone like he usually did but then Buffy slipped, quite literally, and slammed her head against the nearest tombstone. Spike was there in an instant fighting the vamps so they wouldn’t take care of her small disadvantage, she was his kill after all, no one else’s. He dusted them quickly then turned to help her.


“That’s what you get for playing around with them.” He scolded completely ignoring the concern that came out in his voice.


“Not my fault.” She pouted.


“The grass was muddy.” She pulled her hand away from her head and there was a little blood.


“Ow” She complained. Then she looked down at her pants and saw it.


“Shit, my pants are all muddy!” Spike chuckled trying his best to ignore the sent of her blood.


“Yeah let’s focus all our attention to the muddy pants when that noggin of yours is bleeding. Let’s get you somewhere to fix that up.” He helped her up and they started walking towards her house. Now see this would be a slightly interesting night because of the slip Buffy took but of course when bad things happen they just continue. On the way home Spike stiffened, he felt three very powerful signatures near. They weren’t the normal fledglings, he could tell these were warriors. Then they appeared, surrounding the couple. They both went into fighting stances back to back.


“Don’t think tonight’s the night luv.” He told her hinting they should make a run for it. She nodded her head once and they took off, quickly fending off the two that got in their way and they ran for Buffy’s house. She ran up to the door and unlocked it as quickly as she could.


“Come on get it!” She yelled. They both ran in the house and closed the door. Hearing the commotion down stairs Joyce went down to see what was happening.


“Buffy? What’s going on?” Then she noticed the man next to her.


“Who is this man? Who are you?” She asked Buffy then Spike.


“Um, mom this is Spike and Spike this is my mom.”


“Pleasure.” Spike said with a small smile.


“Hi” Joyce said still a little unsure.


“What’s happening? I heard all this noise down stairs.” She asked worried.


“Oh, just a small problem on patrol.” Buffy told her simply.


“Nothing to worry about.” She reassure her mom.


“Ok” Joyce said, still skeptical. She looked at Spike again.


“He’s ok mom. Promise. We’re just gunna clean up and he’ll go.” Joyce nodded.


“It was nice to meet you.” She told him.


“And you.” He said and Joyce smiled and went back up stairs. Buffy went to go get the first aid kit which left Spike standing in the middle of her living room. He was looking around what he could see of her house, he looked at all the pictures hanging here and there. When Buffy came back she noticed him looking at a picture.


“That was the summer before I moved here.” She told him.


“Mom thought it would be a great idea to go to the beach. That picture was taken when we first got there. We weren’t smiling too much by the time we left.” She gave a small chuckle at the unfortunate events that happened that day.


“What happened?” He asked softly.


“Well after we got there we both figured out we hated beach water. Then when we were putting down the towels I stepped in this gross black stuff. I have no idea what it was, but it got stuck all over the place when I was trying to get it off my foot. Then when we were sitting a seagull pooped on my moms hat. When I finally got the courage to go into the water I got stung by a jelly fish and that’s when we decided that we needed to leave before we accidently got swallowed by a whale.” She was smiling at the memory and he was smiling with her. She looked so happy in that picture. Her face was pure and innocent.


“That was my last summer I got to play normal girl.” She said there was a slight tone of regret.


“You help a lot of people Buffy.” He told her.


“I know, I wouldn’t give it up. It’s just sometimes it would be nice to take a break.” She gave him a sad smile. They stood there for a moment both wondering if they should break the silence.


“Could you?” Buffy finally asked holding the first aid kit up to him.


“Of course.” He said grabbing it from her.


“Lets go into the kitchen. Better light.” He followed her. He cleaned the wound on her head. It was already healing so there wasn’t need for dressing it. When he was done he said good night to her and left.


******


“Guess what?” She asked him before he left from dropping her off that night.


“What, pet?”


“I get tomorrow night off. No patrol!” She was excited however, he wasn’t. Not sure of why he felt so disappointed, he shrugged it off as one less day to learn how to kill her.


“Glad to hear it, luv. You enjoy your night off an’ I guess I’ll see you the next night.” He gave her, what he hoped to be, a reassuring smile.


“Oh..” She said disappointment clearly on her face.


“Well I was going to the bronze. I mean you don’t have to come but, if you wanted to, you could.” Her feet seemed incredibly interesting at that moment as she stared down at them.


She seemed nervous. Her heart was pounding and she wasn’t even looking at him while she talked. It was such a simple thing but it made his un-beating heart melt. Then he felt the need to comfort her. He lifted her chin up so she would look at him.


“If you’re inviting me, I’ll be there.” He said with a smile that sent tingles from where his finger was touching her chin, all the way through her body. She was so amazed by the sensation she completely missed the temperature of his finger.


“Ok, I’ll see you.”


“Tomorrow then.” She felt the loss when he removed his finger and he felt the urge to touch her again but he resisted. He smiled, turned and left.


What was wrong with him? Why did he feel the need to comfort her nerves? He’s there to kill her, not to make her feel better. (“This jobs too big to fuck up, mate. You almost got her. Jus’ a bit more then her blood will be singing in your veins and the job will be done. It’s just a job.”) The thought of her dead made him feel sick to him stomach. Of course he went into automatic denial that the feeling even occurred.


When she could not longer see him she turned and went into her room, lost in her own thoughts. (“Why was I so nervous? It’s just Spike. It’s not like I was asking him out. Just…hanging out.”) She was tired and she left the thinking for another day as she went off to sleep.


******

When she arrived at the bronze the next day she saw her friends sitting at a table but, to her disappointment, no Spike.


“Have you seen Spike here?” She asked her friends as she approached their table.


“No, haven’t seen him. Maybe he’ll show later.” Willow added hoping to brighten her friend’s mood.


“Yeah.” She said. She was trying to play back her conversation with him the previous night to make sure she didn’t misunderstand something. When she couldn’t think of any possible way she misunderstood she went with Willow’s theory about coming later. The group sat and talked about nothing important for a while before they decided to dance.


While Buffy was dancing she felt and odd tingling that seemed familiar. Then she saw Willows face brighten up and then felt arms slipping around her waist. She smiled knowing who it was.


“Thought you weren’t gunna show.” She said still dancing in his arms.


“You didn’t think I could resist a beautiful girl like yourself did you?” He smirked at her and she blushed at the compliment. They dance for a while and Willow, Tara, Xander, and Anya left them to get drinks. Spike and Buffy danced to the beat of the music. Spike making comments about some of the other people at the bronze that had Buffy laughing. She was so full of life and that had Spike smiling. When they were tired of dancing they went and joined the rest of the gang at their table. Realizing that no one actual met Spike just heard about him, Buffy introduced everyone. They all sat and talked for hours. They told Spike about all the different demons they had to battle and the apocalypses they faced together. He was intrigued by what she had gone through and what she had to do. It made her seem even more gorgeous.


It was getting late so the group split up to go their own separate ways for the night. Spike walked Buffy home like he usually did. He wasn’t sure why he did it. Just figured it was his old Victorian self taking over for the moment. Promising to meet her for patrol the next day he left to do his evil things, which included an all night Passions marathon.


******


About a week later Buffy entered her house after patrol. She was surprised to see her mother still up.


“Wucha doin, mom?” She asked as she entered her mom’s room. She noticed her packing.


“Oh, Buffy. I have to go last minute. These people found this artifact that I’ve been looking for and I need to get it. So, I leave early tomorrow morning and I probably won’t be back for a couple weeks because I want to look into a few other artifacts while I'm there. Will you be ok on your on?”


“Mom, Slayer here. I think I can deal with being alone for a couple weeks.”


“I know honey. Just be careful while I’m gone.” Joyce told her as she gave her a hug.


“I will mom. Careful, that’s me.” She smiled.


******


“Watch out slayer!” She ducked just before she got hit with a hard right in the face. She kicked the vampire’s feet from underneath him, staking him when he hit the floor. She stood up brushing the dust off her hands.


“Sheesh, Slayer. You tryin’ to lose your head?” He wasn’t sure why it bothered him so much that she almost got hurt. (“She’s my bloody kill. Don’t want any other creature of the night getting’ her first.”) He reasoned with himself.


“Well maybe if you helped me instead of just laying back against that stupid tombstone it wouldn’t have been a problem.” She hissed back.


“You need me to protect you now slayer?” He teased.


“Shut up, Spike.” He smiled at their casual banter. He loved getting her riled up. She was so cute when she was mad. Wait. No not cute. Just…easier to read. Yeah, that’s right, easier to read therefore easier to kill.


They had one more graveyard to check before they could call it quits. As they walked through the graveyard they heard a roar coming from one of the crypts and ran to check it out. Inside was a big grey demon with horns. His eyes were pure red and he was hunched slightly over from his bulk. The crypt seemed like it was made his home. Something obviously was not making him happy. Buffy was about to charge in there when Spike put a hand on her shoulder to still her.


“What?” She whispered to him.


“You gunna kill that baddie with just a stake slayer?” He asked. She didn’t even think that far ahead. There was no way she was going to be able to do much damage without a sword or axe.

“Know where he lives now so we can get the beastie tomorrow when we got proper weapons.” He told her. She hated it when Spike was right but she agreed to his plan and they left. She had to tell Giles about the demon tomorrow.