Author's Chapter Notes:
The wonderful beta x3tinkerbell07 betaed this chapter. Enjoy!

Chapter 12: The Proposal



"Love works in miracles every day: such as weakening the strong, and stretching the weak; making fools of the wise, and wise men of fools; favouring the passions, destroying reason, and in a word, turning everything topsy-turvy."
~ Marguerite De Valois


Buffy was snuggled up in Spike’s arms. She sighed silently thanking the powers-that-be and Anya for making it possible.

Just then, thinking of Anya she heard Anya’s annoying voice echo through the room, “Get covered or something. We really need to talk. Xander and I are arriving in about 2 minutes.”

Buffy sighed and pulled the blankets over her wondering if this was some sort of sick dream but then she heard Spike mumble, “Why are we being haunted by Anya’s voice?”

Buffy giggled and Spike placed a kiss on her lips and they heard again, “I’m warning you! One minute left. Get decent if you aren’t already.”

Spike growled in response but of course Anya couldn’t hear that and he grabbed up a shirt for Buffy and pulled it over her head before wiggling into his pants. He was just crawling back into bed when a bright white flash appeared and Xander and Anya appeared in the smoke dust.

Xander said, “Damn it, she said to get decent.”

Spike glared at Xander, “We are decent whelp. I’m wearing pants under here and Buffy here is wearing my shirt. All vitals covered. Besides you dropped in unannounced and…”

Buffy cut him off by putting a finger over his lips and looked at Anya, “Why are you here?”

Anya jumped up and down practically doing a cheer, “I’m getting married and I want you to be my maid of honor!”

Buffy smiled, “I’d be honored.”

Anya nudged Xander who looked sheepishly at Spike, “Want to be my best man?”

Spike smirked but his eyes glistened as he couldn’t resist a retort, “You want me to be your best man? Are you actually calling me a man?”

Xander got all cranky and glared turning his back towards the wall as though dismissing them, “Forget it. Forget I even asked. I should have known better than to think you actually have changed.”

Spike’s voice softened slightly, “Hold on a minute there. I never said I wouldn’t do it. I was just shocked that’s all and sure I’ll do it. When are you getting married?”

Anya grinned as she practically glowed, “That’s the best part. You and Xander need to go get tuxes today. Buffy, you and I need to get dresses today and we are heading to Vegas by tonight to get married in the moonlight so you and Spike can both attend.”

Spike smirked, loving the fact he can rub this into Xander’s face, “Oh I can go into the sunlight now. Slayer and I are immortal.”

Anya’s jaw dropped, “I didn’t do that.”

Buffy shrugged, "It was a gift to the two living champions. The gift of immortality.”

Spike looked at Buffy and said, “You are so going to recite that in your sleep if you keep that up, pet.”

Buffy laughed and then Spike smirked wagging his eyebrow at Buffy, “You can say that between moaning my name in your sleep.”

Xander covered his ears whining, “TMI guys! Can you tone it down to PG?”

Spike shrugged, “That was PG. You should see the R rated version.”

Xander groaned glancing towards Anya, “Make them stop Anya!”

Anya laughed still beaming with happiness, “I think it’s cute. It’s about time someone talks about sex and orgasms. I’m the only one that seems to bring up the good part of life.”

Buffy shook her head thinking some things never change.

Spike spoke up, “Well I need more than just a tux if I’m heading out shopping and Buffy I need my shirt back if I’m heading out.”

Spike glared at Xander and Anya wanting them to take the hint to go outside while they change.

Xander shrugged not getting the hint, “Well we can hit the mall since you can go out during the day now.”

Anya grinned bouncing on her heels, “Ok you two get dressed, no hanky panky though or I’ll come back in here and bust it up physically. See you guys in a few.”

She pulled Xander out the door and left them alone.

Buffy took off Spike’s shirt and handed it to him and he handed her the tote bag.

Buffy frowned, “I really can’t afford a dress. I lost everything in the Hellmouth destruction. Giles wanted to pay me for being a Slayer but I wasn’t really doing my slaying in England so I refused.”

Spike shrugged, “Can I borrow your phone? I need to make two phone calls.

Buffy tossed him the phone as she slipped on a lacy pink bra and matching panties. Spike dialed the phone and held it to his ear and Buffy grinned, “So Spikey, should I wear the blue shirt or pink to match these underwear?”

Spike’s jaw dropped seeing her dressed in nothing but lacy undergarments and put his hand over the receiver saying in a hoarse voice, “You are really trying to kill me here. Just do the pink and get covered before I jump you and Anya.. Yes hello. My name is William Pratt. I’d like to access my account and transfer some money to open up an account in Columbus, Ohio. Yes I can hold.”

He looked at Buffy who was standing there still dressed in the lacy undergarments with a big grin on her face, “William Pratt?”

Spike shrugged and Buffy grinned with pride, “Not even the Council could figure out your background. You realize that right?”

Spike frowned not happy that it was about to become a living nightmare with everyone knowing his background, “Keep that bit of info to yourself, pet, ok? I don’t want that in the watcher diaries.”

Buffy smiled and slipped on a black short skirt and the pink top Spike picked out. She then sat down on the bed and put her head in his lap watching him as he then talked on the phone again to whoever was there, “I need about $50,000. That would be great. I might need more if I do find a house in the next few days. I’ll be sure to let you know. Oh that would be great. Yeah, I want it under William Pratt and can you add on the name Buffy Summers onto that account? Yeah I know she’s the bloody slayer just do it already. Well you will just have to make an exception for me. Oh sod it, if you can’t handle this I’ll just withdraw it all and go with a normal 9-5 bank. I figured you could help me out. Yeah, under both of our names so that she can access money anytime she wants even if I’m not there. Yeah, I’ll hold again.”

Spike was gently running his fingers through her hair absently when Buffy looked at up and whispered in awe, “You want me able to use that account too?”

Spike nodded and explained, “That was my goal about 3 years ago when your mum first died and you were brought back to life. You just wouldn’t accept it. I’m hoping this time around it’s different. You won’t like where the main contact is housed though. I’m kind of surprised they didn’t put me on the Do Not Help list after Angel’s attempt to ruin the L.A.’s branch.”

He then put his finger up in the air as he spoke into the phone once again, “I need it opened today in just a few minutes. Yeah that’s fine. Where is that bank located? Bloody brilliant. Thanks ever so much. I’ll be in touch. Bye.”

Spike sat up in the bed and smiled at Buffy, “Let’s finish getting ready and go.”

Just as he said that he heard Anya echo through the room again, “You guys got one more minute so either make it a quickie or get your butts out here before I come drag you out myself.”

Spike chuckled handing Buffy her socks and shoes and bent down to put on his. They were still laughing when they went outside to meet Anya and Xander.