Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter was betaed by x3tinkerbell07!

Chapter 14: Preparations



“It’s not the will to win that matters – everyone has it. It’s the will to prepare to win that matters.”
~ Paul “Bear” Bryant

Anya stood in the mirror looking at the white dress she had chosen to be married in. Buffy actually thought it was beautiful. It was made of pure lace covering over a white silk under-dress.

The sleeves were short and it had a high collared neck but that was covering a white dress that was strapless and showed off her cleavage quite well while the lacey part over it appeared innocent and pure. The lace continued down past the plain white silk and gathered on the floor slightly and was covered in tiny pearls that had been hand-stitched to enhance it.

In the light, Anya appeared to shimmer. She looked amazing. Buffy had talked Anya into letting her pick out her own dress and since Spike and Xander were the only ones who would see it, Anya relented.

Buffy picked out a strapless pink dress with a pink ribbon that went around it. It was straight fitting but the ribbon appeared to be holding the dress into a wrap like fashion.

Both girls looked stunning. Their dresses were carefully wrapped up and they went on to the shoe shop. Anya was excited when they went into the shop and found her shoes immediately. They were white just like her wedding dress and were decorated with tiny pearls. They would look perfect and there were high heels that would bring her up to the Xander’s height. She was even more excited finding out they had her size.

Buffy meanwhile was a little more selective. She never really focused on the shoes she wore. She preferred boots or sensible shoes. She wasn’t big on high heels and other items like that.

After much trying on she finally settled on a lace-up high heel shoe. They were surprisingly comfortable. Ironically, they had a wooden heel that was covered in pink. Anya made a joke saying if she had to fight off any vampires she could just kick them in the heart. Both girls , feeling quite happy with their day so far went off to get their hair done.

Anya insisted on getting their hair, nails and toenails done. Buffy was all for this since she had never bothered with anything like that before. She had only had the opportunity for someone else to pamper her doing her nails for her once. On a particularly low day, she and Spike once had done each other’s nails. It had been interesting and fun but hadn’t happened but the one time.

She smiled thinking of Spike as the lady worked on her hair. Someday she hoped that they would be getting married.

What would she really like for a wedding?

Would it be in a chapel or in the sunlight or moonlight?

Would it be on a beach?

She really wanted her sister there and Giles to give her away. It would be nice to have Anya and Willow there as well as Xander. She sighed figuring that would mean Kennedy would have to be there but she wouldn’t even mind inviting Faith and Robin if they were having a nice size wedding. She didn’t want all the slayers there. She wanted just close family and friends. She heard the sound of scissors and she got lost in a memory.

Spike rushed into my house with a blanket over his head smoking, almost in flames and made a really loud racket to turn around and casually say, “Morning.”

Only Spike can pull that off. I was mostly pissed off after the bout with Dawn not wanting anymore issues going on in my life this morning so I yelled, “What are you doing? And here?”

Spike shrugged, “Just took a stroll and found myself in your neck of the woods.”

Who was he kidding? He was a vampire and was practically on fire. He could have dusted and for what, just to invade my already messed up life?

He did look awfully handsome that morning though but Bad Buffy can’t be thinking that now can she.

Dawn almost was killed, Willow is a junkie and I didn’t even notice this stuff. I said with a little less anger, “Couldn’t find a time a little less flammable to take a stroll?”

Spike was just making an excuse and sure enough here it came, “Fact is my lighter’s gone missing. I thought it might have dropped out of my pocket last time I was here.”

I had found it this morning but didn’t want to admit to that in front of Willow so I turned quickly so he wouldn’t see through my lie, “Haven’t seen it?”

Truth is, I wanted something of his. Something I could remember him by. I guess I wasn’t quite ready to end it yet. So I turned to busy myself but Willow ruined that idea by leaving and I had to deal with Spike.

I was so tempted and he looked so hot so I decided to call him on it, “Lame.”

Spike put on his best innocent look, “What?”

I grinned, “Making excuses.”

Then I tried to look like I wasn’t amused as Spike crossed the room in front of me, “Don’t flatter yourself love. I’m mighty fond of that lighter.”

I decided to try to appear like I didn’t want this as badly as him, “Stop trying to see me and stop calling me that.” I thought my come back was pretty good but apparently it was just as lame as his excuse was.

He crossed the kitchen and stood completely in front of me and I tried to back up as close to the sink as possible as he started to talk again distracting me with his accent, “So um what should I call you then? Pet? Sweetheart? Um Goldilocks?”

He looked so intently at my hair and I knew this had to end. I was responsible for my friend’s and family’s lives falling apart. I just couldn’t have one of my own but he continued, “You know I love this hair, the way it bounces around…”

I decided to try to whack him with the closest weapon I could get to get him to shut up and stop tempting me so damn much so I grabbed the spatula and he taunted, “uh uh uh uh. This flapjacks not ready to be flipped.”

I blinked and said, “What the hell is that supposed to...”

Oh then he touched my inner thigh and was dangerously close to me and I wanted to give in so badly until Xander’s voice shot out. I tried to look innocent. Then he had to make that stupid long speech about how no one would want Spike when I wanted Spike. I had thought Xander was right though at the time. I was a mess.

The hairdresser smiled at what she was doing and I got lost back into my memory.

The lady had come and threatened to take away Dawn. I couldn’t do anything right. Then Spike came and I just couldn’t take it anymore. Surely he could make it better and when he advanced on me, I was ready to give in but he just walked away leaving me. I decided once and for all to fix this. I went upstairs and cut my hair out of frustration.

Perhaps if Spike didn’t want me so badly I wouldn’t be so tempted…it didn’t work out. My hair was a mess so I had to go to a hairdresser and asked her to make me a new person. A person that Spike wouldn’t like anymore or at least that wouldn’t lose her sister.

Buffy sighed and knew things would be different this time. She didn’t need to be different; she was happy and quite alive.

The lady who was working on her hair exclaimed cheerfully, “This will be beautiful when I’m finished. Here let’s work on your nails as well.”

Buffy let her put her nails in the water as she drifted back to that day with a grin on her face.

I walked into Spike’s place and he couldn’t see me. He told me to go haunt the living but I wanted to haunt him.

God he’s so sexy and now he couldn’t see me. Good thing to because in the middle of our fifth round of sex, we had finally made it to the bed and he was on top of me and Xander walked in! He never even knocked and thank God I’m invisible and then…

Oh my God. He started pounding in me in front of Xander. Then he stopped leaving me naked on the bed. I know I’m invisible and all but still!

So I couldn’t resist teasing him in front of Xander. I know he just loves his ears to be sucked on so I started sucking on his earlobe.

Oo look he reacted and Xander is looking really confused. This is fun! I almost laughed but continued to suck on his earlobe as he really started stuttering and tried to push me away. I couldn’t resist doing it again and when he turned his head I started on the other ear.

God I just wanted him to get rid of Xander so we could finish. I was still so horny. Finally Xander was leaving.

Buffy snapped out of her memory as she remembered what came next.

He had kicked her out. He had a point though.

She would make this relationship work and make it right. Already Xander and Anya knew about it. Faith and Robin knew about it too. This time it would be perfect.

The hairdresser spun Buffy around in the chair and questioned, “How does it look?”

Buffy saw half her hair up and half down. It was in light curls. Her hair had been re-dyed blond and her bangs had been cut to lightly frame her face.

Buffy grinned, “I love it.” Then turned to Anya stating happily, “I need jewelry!”

Anya laughed and looked at Buffy, “Wow you look great. What do you think of my hair?”

Anya’s hair had been growing and was curled into ringlets around her face but loose ringlets. She had a pearl barrette in her hair that she had bought from the wedding shop.

Her nails had been done in a pearly white to match the pearls on her dress. Buffy’s were done in a light pink and both of their toes were done to match their fingernails. Anya grinned, “Let’s go see how the guys did.”